Ilos Book 2 Part 8

Printer-friendly version

Hello everyone! I'm glad to announce I'm not dead! :D
But actually though, I've been super busy this past year (has it really been that long?) with my last semester of college and the first months of my new job. Gotta make a good first impression y'know.
I also discovered D&D, and may have spent a lot of time on that. Maybe.

 
On the upside, I finally got this next part of Ilos done!
(For those of you who are new here, see this link for the previous chapters: https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/book-page/53441/ilos)

 
As always, let me know if I screw something up or something doesn't make sense!

 

 
-Tas

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Earth, Day 36

 

Nick ignored the murmur of the crowd and concentrated on pushing mana into the summoning circle. He could deal with high profile meetings, he could deal with presenting information to a group of businessmen or politicians, he could even deal with handling many times more than the sum total of his net worth, but he hated being on stage. He’d tried theatre in middle school, but even when he could recite the whole play from memory he still couldn’t make his words come out right once he got on stage. His nerves got all jangled whenever he was up in front of a large audience, and, despite his best efforts, here he was, trying desperately to distract himself by concentrating on the summoning circle and hoping Jess could take care of all of the talking.

How had he gotten himself talked into this? He’d known it would be a bad idea. He’d known he’d be almost useless when he got up here under the bright lights and massive cameras. He doubted he could speak more than a word or two into a mic without stammering and sounding like a total dolt. Glancing over at Jess, he sighed to himself wearily. The woman could talk people into doing almost anything, that he was her friend just made it easier for her to convince him to be on stage with her.

In a fancy red dress that seemed reminiscent of the dresses she had taken to wearing in Ilos when they weren’t out training, Jess seemed right in her element chatting and laughing with the host of the newly created talk show. Well, it was actually just a fancy interview, but it was set to look like a talk show, complete with studio audience and cushiony couches for the host and whoever was with him to sit in.

It hadn’t been hard for Jess to get an interview, she was already somewhat famous among the populace for her outburst and subsequent talks with the media about Ilos, and she had made a good choice with which news company to do this with. Newly founded as an offshoot of a more major network, Ilos Television Video was made exclusively to cover anything related to Ilos. Nick expected them to get a rather large increase in both size and budget after tonight.

Amanda stood next to him in front of her own summoning circle, clothed in a blue dress that matched her eyes. She had chosen to travel with him back to Jess’ apartment after making sure everyone else from the Terran Inquisition was either settled back into their places in the secret facility or sent home. The small apartment would have been cramped if any of them spent much time there, but they were in Ilos so much it hadn’t been an issue so far.

The three of them had been busy in the week since they had reunited. Jess was in conference for a good portion each day either with Arterian Dark or Corvid, the leader of Sweet Dreams. She was making some sort of plan with Dark he was sure, but she wanted to keep it a secret for now, so he didn’t press. He wasn’t sure what all they talked about exactly, but he and Amanda had met the guildmaster more than once to discuss the newest findings about Summoning, and he seemed agreeable enough. It was thanks to him that this was coming together so nicely, having discovered that the champion being summoned could contribute mana to the process. The first time they had summoned Corvid to Earth it had taken all three of them and a good bit of preparation with spell cards to not run out of mana, but now they could each get someone here by themselves so long as they had that champion’s cooperation.

Nick absently fingered the small Storage Gem hanging from a necklace under his shirt he’d gotten from Corvid in exchange for a few Earth items. There was going to be a lot of things revealed tonight, but the ability to leave Ilosian objects on Earth was not one of them. He had convinced Jess of that much at least, along with only allowing the end of the summoning process to be shown. Things were already about to get crazy with the widespread revelation that people with black Keys could use magic on Earth, it wouldn’t do to add in any more chaos unless absolutely necessary. He’d have loved to keep magic in the dark as well, but there were already hazy reports about the subject circulating through the internet. It was better to get it all out now rather than have someone use magic to do something criminal and make a bad first impression.

A symbol appeared in the center of the summoning circle in front of him, a kite shield outlined in silver with a massive tree in brown and green on it. That had to be Tasalin’s symbol. He hadn’t heard much about the man he was summoning other than meeting him once briefly – which was necessary to summon a specific champion - and Jess’ description of his politeness. Nick glanced over at Amanda’s circle, seeing the familiar purple crescent moon and stars that was the Corvid’s unique summoning signet.

As always when he saw a summoning symbol, he recalled the fake attack on the Terran Inquisition, or more precisely his brief meeting with the girl they had managed to summon. He recalled her symbol clearly, though the memory was tinged with remembered pain. A bright eight point starburst outlined with shadow set atop a smaller dark eight point starburst outlined in light, rotated so it looked as though it was a sixteen pointed star. He’d seen little of her, only waking up when things seemed to be pretty much over, and, despite turning it over and over in his head, couldn’t make heads or tails of her final actions.

Nick held on to the small girl clad in a black dress as she cried into his dirty grey Terran Inquisition shirt, clutching him with a strong, almost desperate grip. He hoped she didn’t squeeze any tighter, he was already having trouble breathing. He shot a questioning look at Amanda over the girl’s head, easy enough since the champion reached no higher than his chest. Amanda just shook her head with wide eyes, obviously just as in the dark about this as he was.

The black haired girl knew his name, but he had no idea who she could be. Even if David had for some reason created a female avatar, there’s no way he would be acting like this. As he looked down at her, he realized he could see his own arms though her form, just like what had happened with David when the Bell of Recall had rung that first time. The faint starburst under them pulsed with light, seeming to anchor her there for a little longer, her body losing its ghostly quality.

Another minute passed, the girl beginning to fade again before her arms loosened around him and she stepped back. Golden eyes rimmed red from tears, she smiled warmly and reached up to touch his cheek. Her hand felt warm and solid even though the edges of her transparent form shimmered with multicolored sparks that seemed to be eating away at her presence. Her mouth moved, but he only caught the first two words, kind and loving, before they faded into silence.

Take care…”

He half raised a hand towards hers, not sure what to make of this tender gesture from a stranger, but she moved back, one step, two, her legs below the knee no longer visible. Her form dissolving into sparks faster now as she continued to back away, then vanished completely into multicolored motes as she turned to walk away from him, striding into nothingness.

Nick absently felt his cheek, still able to recall the warmth and tenderness that touch had held. He’d see that girl again, he was sure of it, and he would have questions for her. Amanda had described what had happened from the time the summoning succeeded to when he had woken up, and it seemed as though whoever he had summoned was extremely powerful. She was also apparently somewhat frightening as well, scoffing at the threat to the innocent people inside. That was the other reason he knew she couldn’t be David, his friend wasn’t nearly so callous.

He did wish someone had gotten her name so he could have contacted her telepathically, but apparently the soldiers had stopped her from telling them, instead offing her a position with their team if she ever decided she wanted to join them. That group was very good at their jobs, he would keep them in mind if he even needed to hire armed men.

He suspected he might very soon.

“And now live on ITV we bring you the first anyone has seen of the people who vanished from Earth a little over a month ago. These two men lead the largest group of players currently trapped in Ilos and have agreed to meet us here and talk about what they’ve experienced!”

The sudden increase in volume from the host knocked Nick from his ruminations, and he realized that the summoning was almost finished. The host, Nick absently realized that he had never actually gotten the man’s name, walked over to the summoning circles with Jess, then turned to face the two shimmering patterns on the ground. Nick slackened the mana he was pushing into the circle, he could feel that it only needed a few seconds to complete, and the timing had to be just right for the best effect. He focused only on that, ignoring the suddenly brighter light as the camera crew focused over to where he and Amanda stood behind the circles.

“Are you ready Jessica?” The host asked.

Jess looked at Nick, then Amanda, waiting for their slight nods before nodding herself to the host for confirmation.

The gaudy man turned back to face the audience and cameras, gesturing grandly. “Alright, let’s everyone welcome the leaders of Sweet Dreams, Tasalin and Corvid!”

Nick pushed the last little bit of mana needed into the summoning amid the polite clapping. What seemed to be a glowing green and brown tree erupted from the middle of his circle, lasting only seconds before fading to reveal a fully armored and equipped man with short grey hair and a shortly bearded face. Tasalin’s forest green eyes locked with Nick’s own dark blue ones for just a moment, the taller man giving a small nod of thanks before turning to face the crowd. Nick wasn’t sure if he’d planned to attend the interview in full plate armor, but along with the absolutely massive kite shield strapped to his back, the sword at his waist, and his rock-steady stance, the general cut an imposing figure as he scanned the audience.

Corvid on the other hand was in relaxed garb of decent Ilosian quality. While it didn’t look like he was wearing rags or anything, it was obvious his clothing was vastly subpar for Earth standards. That wasn’t to say he didn’t look good in it, in fact he somehow managed to make everyone but Jess and Tasalin seem to be overdressed for the occasion.

Corvid smiled at the audience and then at the host. “Thank you for the warm welcome. My name is Corvid and this is Tasalin. As you mentioned, we are the leaders of the largest organization of the players currently trapped in Ilos. I hate to be short, but I understand you have some questions for us and our time here is limited, so let us begin.”

“Yes! A good idea!” The host gestured to the couches and chairs set up at angles to give a good view to the cameras but also allow those sitting in them to have a normal conversation without any unnatural leaning or straining. “Please sit! My name is Bede Richardson, a pleasure to meet the both of you, and welcome back!”

After shaking the two men’s hands, the four of them sat, thankfully leaving Nick and Amanda out of the interview completely. The pair of them took chairs at the now unlit side of the stage, out of the way, but still fairly close to their friend. Jess was the last to sit, and rather than take the open spot next to Bede, planted herself between Corvid and Tasalin.

The host had his back to Nick’s side of the stage, but the way he shifted when she sat said he was a bit uncomfortable on his empty couch. He’d probably expected her to be next to him, but Nick picked up on the message. She’d gotten better at subtlety through her interactions with the media, but this was obvious for anyone who was watching: if it came down to it, she would side with the two men. The glance and the tiny smile Corvid gave her was enough to say he’d understood and appreciated the gesture. Tasalin gave no indication either way, simply shifting over a bit to give her more room and scanning the crowd again.

“I’m sure you both know this already, but this is a live interview, millions are eager to hear what exactly has happened to those who have disappeared.” Bede began, gesturing towards the cameras. “Before I ask you any questions about yourselves and what you do, let us relieve the hearts of all those who had a loved one disappear. Are all the people who vanished living in Ilos now?”

Corvid nodded. “Yes. All ten thousand of those who had a silver Key were permanently transported to Ilos. We are all still alive and well.”

“Wonderful!”

“However.” Corvid turned to address the cameras. “You will not be able to contact most of those who live in Ilos for now. Even this brief summoning is heavily taxing for all involved, and very few can do it successfully. Be content in the knowledge that we all live and are working constantly to find a way to make it back to Earth permanently.”

“I see. I’m sure we will do all we can on our end to resolve this as soon as possible.” Bede said gravely. “Now we’ve all met the beautiful Jessica here, but why don’t you tell us a little about yourself Corvid?”

The lithe handsome man smiled wryly. “There’s not much to tell. My name is Corvid, and I am the official guildmaster of the six thousand, two hunded, and eighty three members of Sweet Dreams. I keep everything in order and oversee all of the branches of the guild, making sure there are no internal conflicts. I originally took Ilos as an opportunity to study the human psyche, but I find that I enjoy leading Sweet Dreams and will continue to do so until we are able return home.”

“Over six thousand! It’s incredible that you’ve been able to gather more than half of all of the people who were transported to Ilos!”

“A good part of that is thanks to Tasalin here. He started this guild with me and leads it just as much as I do.”

Tasalin let out a short laugh, finally turning from the crowd to give Corvid a look. “Hardly. You do most of the heavy lifting.”

“Less than you seem to think my friend.”

Rolling his eyes slightly, the armored man addressed Bede. “I suppose it’s my turn for introductions. My name is Tasalin Viridis, and all military ventures of Sweet Dreams are under my command. Exploration, large scale combat, and raid events are what I have authority over in the guild. As you can see, I’m the type of guy to lead from the front, so one of those activities is what composes most of my time unless I’m helping one of the other divisions. With the respawn system still in place, we don’t have to worry about death, which is why we’re so sure that all of the ten thousand in Ilos are still alive and well.”

"Now Tasalin, I'm an avid gamer myself, so I know what you mean, but would you explain to those who don't know video games as well as we do what those terms are?" Bede gestured towards the cameras.

"Ah, of course. Raid events are combat tasks that require a large number of people. In most online games that means anywhere from twenty four to forty eight people. In Ilos that number could grow to several thousand depending on the threat. Exploration refers to the process of the players moving further away from the starting point, in this case the city of Ilos, to places that haven't been mapped out fully yet, be that in actual terrain or in quest information."

"I've heard you talk about these 'quests'. What do quests entail usually?"

"Quests are tasks that the Ilosian people give us to complete. This usually involves something they cannot or don't want to do themselves, and we receive payment in the form of money or items, along with 'experience'. Like most games, the more experience we gain the more powerful we become and the more difficult quests and enemies we can take on."

"Now these Ilosians you speak of, I hear they call you 'champions'? Do you know why that is?"

"Uhmm..." Tasalin shrugged and looked to Corvid.

"We're not entirely sure why." Corvid answered for the armored man. "We think it has something to do with a semi-religious figure they have by the name Xynus. By the accounts of the people, he was the one who told them of our immanent arrival and our roles as 'champions who would push back the darkness'."

"You make the Ilosians seem self-aware rather than just artificial constructs." Bede shifted to give Corvid some kind of look that Nick couldn't see, but that was a leading statement if he ever heard one.

The guildmaster gave that smooth confident smile of his. "That's because they're not artificial constructs. The more we explore Ilos and interact with its people, the more I'm convinced that this is no virtual world we now live in, but one just as real as Earth."

Bede let the silence after that statement draw out a bit. Nick's opinion of the host rose again, the man might seem a bit flighty and excitable, but he knew how to draw out juicy information. Either that or this was all discussed beforehand and he was a damn good actor to seem like he was coming up with these questions on the fly.

"If what you say is true..." Bede said slowly. "This could involve much more than just those who received a Key, black or silver."

Both men nodded at this, and Jess spoke up for the first time since the summoning finished. “The situation with Ilos is already much more complex than meets the eye, and it continues to grow more complicated the further we delve into it. I’ll speak more on that a bit later, there are some other things I believe Corvid has prepared that should be shown first.”

Tasalin shot Corvid a questioning glance, then raised his eyebrows in surprise and nodded before going back to scanning the audience. That was a telepathic message if Nick had ever seen one. It made him feel a bit better to see that Tasalin didn’t know what that meant either. Just what are Corvid and Jess scheming here?

Perhaps noticing the exchange, Lassea’s voice spoke in his head. *Remember how we sent a couple phones back with Corvid along with some other Earth supplies? He used them to record some video that we’re going to show here. A conversation with Lorilee and a pan view of Ilos from the palace I believe was the plan.*

Nick glanced at Amanda, who nodded. She had gotten the message too. *Got it.*

Corvid reached into a small pocket and pulled out a small USB drive, holding it out. “We’ve discovered that by using summoning, it’s possible to take Earth made items back to Ilos with us. This contains some video taken with the help of one of the Ilosians who made all this possible and really convinced me personally that they were true people and not just computer generated constructs.”

Bede took the flash drive, examining it for a moment, then looking back past Nick and Amanda shouted. “Hey Phil! Can you get this queued up on the back screen?”

“Of course! If I can get over there without tripping over all your fancy new furniture!” Called a voice, followed by the soft scraping of a chair and a portly bearded man appearing from behind a curtain. He was wearing a T-shirt that read “If you can do IT, I can do IT better.” and a pair of kaki shorts. Bede got up to meet him halfway, and despite the jibe, neither of them so much as brushed any of the props or furniture scattered about as Phil walked over and accepted the small piece of tech.

Bede went back over to the couch and sat down, crossing his legs. “While we get that set up… Tasalin, Corvid, could you tell us what happened to you that first day? We’ve had people with the black Keys tell us that everyone who had played in the beta dissolved into mist when something called the ‘Bell of Recall’ was rung. Can you tell us what happened from your perspective?”

The two champions looked at each other, and Corvid nodded. Tasalin turned to face Bede with a straight back and squared shoulders. “It is how you described. The Bell of Recall was rung, a bell of massive proportions made and magically enhanced to be heard throughout all of Ilos and its floating Islands. I was in the forest just outside of the city when it started, and with each peal I could feel myself being torn apart. The sound ripped through me each time the Bell rung, taking a part of me with it. It was by far the most painful and terrifying experience I’ve ever had.”

From his tone it was obvious that he was not enjoying recalling that particular memory, and it showed on his face as well. That was what David had gone through? God above, I hope he’s okay.

“The pain vanished after the last toll swept through me, and I was back in the central plaza of Ilos. The once white flagstones were black now, and there were other people around me in the same state of panic. I’m not sure if it’s because of what happened to us, but from that point on I remember everything as vividly as if I were living it again this very moment. I was near the centerstone of the plaza, the only stone still its original white, and there was writing on it. A small girl with long black hair and golden eyes was crouched over the text, examining it, and then the ground began to shake. Most of us fell, and there was a loud voice that seemed to fill the plaza. Word for word, it said this:

‘Welcome to Ilos. I am Xynus, the one who has summoned you here. You are the ten thousand of the Silver Key, offered the priceless gift of extra time. Do not waste this time attempting to return to your previous world, you cannot get back of your own power until the remaining champions join you. The clock is your enemy, and the final trial will begin regardless of your wishes when the time you have here expires. This is no longer the illusionary world that you were previously shown, and as it continues its journey it will need to be protected. Even now the wild inhabitants have begun to emerge from their lairs, and will seek to hold Ilos when the final challenge begins. Be wary, for while this city is a great stronghold, the Great Sleep is failing, and your enemies will grow more powerful and may overwhelm you given time.’

‘Death is not the end here while my power still lasts. However, beware; should you remain dead for a significant time, there will not be enough left of what is you to be reconstructed. Let this be very clear: you will all remain here until the end, be that your own end or the end of the final trial. In your terms: you cannot log out. I have done all I can for you, so go! Grow strong, for the fate of two worlds rests in your hands.’”

Nick’s mind reeled as it tried to process all the implications, but he forced the thoughts down. There would be time to think later, he wanted to listen now. A small girl with black hair and yellow eyes? No. Later.

Tasalin was still speaking. “…found Corvid leaning against a wall at the edge of the plaza. There were only a few I saw that didn’t seem to be in the grip of panic. That black haired girl, the man she was talking to, and Corvid here. The other two ran off north as soon as I saw them, but Corvid stuck around and I felt like it would be good to have someone to talk to who had a cool head on their shoulders. Within just a few minutes, he suggested we make a guild, seeing as there were so many people out in the plaza who would be perfect to join. That’s how Sweet Dreams started, a place those in Ilos can work together to protect Ilos and each other.”

The armored man leaned back into the couch a bit. “Now I could go and relate each day in detail up until this interview, but there are more important things to cover for now and we have limited time. The summoning doesn’t last long, and we want to be here until the end.”

Bede straightened a bit from where he had been leaning forward to listen. “Your story is incredible! I for one would love to hear more of it! Perhaps another interview later?”

“Perhaps.”

“Wonderful! I look forward to it!” The host turned to look at the curtain behind Nick and Amanda again. “Hey Phil! That video ready yet?”

In response a small remote came hurtling out through a gap in the curtain, which Bede deftly snatched out of the air before it could hit him in the face. Nick turned to look at the curtain, noticing that Amanda was frowning and staring off at nothing, obviously deep in thought. He reached over a hand, shaking the brown haired girl’s shoulder as the lights dimmed. “The video’s about to start.”

She blinked, blue eyes focusing on his. “Huh?”

“The video.” He pointed towards the stage where the backdrop behind the set was now black. A large window that the video would be played in was set to the side of the couches to be in clear view of the cameras and the audience. Bede held up the remote and pressed a button, using a bit more motion than really necessary to make the action obvious.

The video began showing a familiar wooden table and chairs, thankfully filmed horizontally. The view panned over to show Lorilee standing next to the softly burning fireplace of the Key Room in the Wheel and Locket. The guardswoman was still in her full armor, and she looked askance at the camera before looking over it at whoever was filming. “Thas corrao oarra'lls a'homs a' soo hma'aughh a oac hooam llhoa I soaiy?”

Overlaid atop the words in his mind was the sentence in English. “This device allows others to see through it and hear what I say?”

Nick blinked, then shook his head. Of course; she’s speaking Ilosian. She doesn’t know English. It was a bit jarring to hear the Ilosian language clearly, though his mind quickly adjusted until he had to focus to not hear it as if it was English. Is that why Jess sounds like Lassea when using telepathy? I’ll have to listen closely next time we communicate that way.

It looked like someone had added subtitles to the video for anyone that didn’t have a Key, and the text matched up with what he was hearing.

“Yes.” Came Corvid’s voice. “I just started it, so it’s recording now. When I take this back with me anyone on Earth will be able to view the video.”

Tasalin’s voice spoke from the side. “Think of it as making a record of events, but rather than writing it records visual and audio events just like you would see or hear them.”

Now that he had noticed, Nick could hear the difference between the two men’s English and Ilosian voices. Not entirely different, but the Ilosian was… smoother somehow, easier to listen to. Just how much of what we are has that place changed?

Lorilee bent down to look into the camera, giving everyone a good look at her hard forest-green eyes and softly angled face, her dark brown hair pulled back into its usual short ponytail. Her reddish lips slightly pursed, she wore an intensely curious expression as she touched the phone, shaking the view a bit as she ran a finger across it. “To think such a small thing could do something so incredible. Truly, your ‘technology’ is more magical than actual magic at times.”

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Tasalin quoted, earning him a quizzical look from the commander and a short chuckle from Corvid.

Lorilee stepped back and drew herself up, giving off an air of formality and a weight to her words. The slight decoration to her heavy armor and the sigils of rank on her shoulder guards never seemed more apparent. “Greetings people of Earth. I am Lorilee Avenia, Commander of the Capital Guard of the city of Ilos. Avendavida.” She bowed low in the most respectful Ilosian form, both arms held out to the sides and one leg crossed over the other.

Nick absently tapped his chin with a finger. Why haven’t we tried summoning Lorilee? I’m sure she would love to visit, even if only for a short time. His finger stopped as a thought occurred to him. Unless that was part of the deal for this video. Somehow I’m sure she’ll be visiting Earth in the near future.

Lorilee straightened after holding the bow for a few seconds, still bearing herself officially. “Sweet Dreams has requested I show you around the city using that small device, and I have agreed to do so.” She looked over the camera at where Nick assumed Corvid held it. “Shall we begin?”

The video cut to black, and Corvid’s voice came from the speakers, a bit shorter and harsher than it had been in the recording. “The city would take hours to show in full, so we’ve selected two sights for you to see now. The rest will be available later on the internet.”

Must be in English, there’s no subtitles. Nick thought. That’s why it sounds slightly different. Interesting.

“First, the Palace.”

The darkness faded as a picture took its place on the screen. The Palace at the center of Ilos, its last defense and seat of its power, stood overlooking the plaza made of sparkling black stone. The Centerstone in its original white was in full view a few yards away from the camera, the text written across it new to Nick’s eyes, though too far to be read. The Palace itself was a walled castle of great size, the crenellations of its sheer stone hiding many of the guardsmen who patrolled its borders. While a fortress of its own right, it was also colorful, the sun reflecting off the many hues of the stone used to build it. The picture conveyed much of the Palace’s majesty, and it was enough to make the audience gasp in amazement.

Nick could understand. Ilos was a beautiful place, land and city, and this was one of its crown jewels, beautiful and imposing at the same time.

The picture remained for about twenty seconds before fading again to blackness. “Second, the Bell and the City.”

Another video began to play, fading into a spiral stair of engraved stone that circled upwards. The clink of Lorilee’s armor was soft, even against the stone she trod on as she ascended. Her voice came from above, unlabored by the climb. “I was unsure if I was going to show this, but I cannot think of a sight more grand.”

A ladder appeared at the top of the stairs, and the view shifted and darkened as Lorilee placed the phone into a belt pouch. The sounds of climbing and a latch being loosened came through, then the image brightened considerably, though it still only showed the coarse fibers of the small bag.

“Gudrun, I’ll take the rest of this watch.” Lorilee’s muffled voice came through.

“Huh?” A deep male voice sounded. “Oh, Commander! Sure, I’ll take off early if you want to stay up here for a bit.”

“Don’t act like you didn’t notice the moment I mounted the ladder Gudrun. You might have fooled your previous officers with that, but not me.”

“Yes Commander. No Commander. Enjoy the rest of the watch Commander.” The heavy footsteps clunked against wood as the guardsman began heading down the ladder.

“Oh, and Gudrun, taking guard duty up here as a way to pay off a bet with Lachesis is not acceptable.”

A heavy boot slipped against wood. There a curse and a grunt, as well as the sound of metal armor hitting stone.

Amused admonishment colored Lorilee’s tone. “If you don’t have the coin to lose, don’t dice with the man, he wins much more often than he loses when he plays with other guardsmen. Something to do with quick hands he says.”

“Yes Commander.” Gudrun groaned from somewhere a bit below.

“Good. Off with you.”

The thunk of wood against stone sounded, and Lorilee’s hand dug into the pouch to grasp the phone again, the video catching a glance of a reinforced wooden trapdoor in the stone at her feet. She peered into the camera for a moment, then seeming satisfied it was undamaged, turned it to face the center of what seemed to be an incredibly tall tower.

“The Bell of Recall.” Nick whispered. “It has to be.”

Hanging in the center of the large space was a massive bell, the biggest one he had ever seen. It was inscribed heavily with some sort of lettering, but it was too small to read from where Lorilee was filming. Most eye catching however, was the material the Bell was made of. It was silver, but it made the most polished purest silver he’d ever seen look like pig iron in comparison. It seemed to glow with an inner blueish light mixed with the reddish light reflected from the sun behind Lorilee. This was no material Earth had ever seen, Nick was sure of it.

“This is the Bell of Recall, enchanted by Xynus himself.” Lorilee stated, confirming Nick’s assumption. “Its tolls can reach those that would defend the city, no matter where they might be. It is said that even a deaf man can hear the peals of the Bell. It is defended to the utmost, none are allowed here except for those on duty, so there are few who get to see it in person.”

She turned and walked towards one of the many arches that held up the ceiling of the tower. Under each arch was a stone rail that curved outwards, coming up to about three feet in height. The light coming from the opening was a deep reddish orange, and as the guardswoman approached it she turned the camera towards herself. “This is the last I have to show. While it may not compare to the grandeur of the cities of metal and glass I have been told of, it is the best I can offer.”

She looked out over the railway and smiled, then held the phone out over the ledge. “An Ilosian Sunset.”

Nick’s breath caught. The city of Ilos stretched out before the tower at the highest point of the Palace. Hills rolled away from the walls into fields of crops that ended in a verdant green forest. Forest gave way to a beautiful lake that reflected the light in shimmering colors, a mist at the edge bathing the area in rainbows. Above it all floated the Islands, each different in size and structure, ascending in a haphazard pattern into the clouds. One in particular near the edge of the mainland of Ilos seemed to be made entirely from crystal, and as the light from the setting sun shone through it, the clouds above seemed to come alive with coruscating color. It was not the reds and oranges and purples he was expecting from a sunset, but all color, shimmering, changing, flowing in a beautiful orchestra of visual splendor.

Nick was disappointed when the video ended, fading to black once more. The lights came back on slowly, but even when they were full no one seemed to have the need to speak.

Corvid smiled. “Captivating isn’t it?” His words seemed to break the spell everyone but he and Tasalin were under.

Bede blinked, then exclaimed. “That was incredible! I have never seen such beauty in my life! Compare to the grandeur of our cities? Hah! That sight far outstrips any of them!”

The audience burbled in agreement, small conversations springing up between groups of two or three. Nick noticed Jess surreptitiously wiping away her tears, a beautiful smile on her face.

Bede stood up, his hands making shushing movements at the crowd. “Alright everyone quiet down, quiet down. We have the rest of an interview to do here.”

When it seemed like everything was under control, the host sat back down on his couch and leaned forward. “You are going to upload that to the internet right?”

“Of course, along with the rest of the video we didn’t show.” Corvid replied. “It was something we wanted to do as soon as we learned we could take Earth technology back to Ilos with us after a summoning. Very few in Ilos know about this right now, there would be too much excitement, but we’d like to have everyone in Ilos be able to send a message home to Earth. That’s a discussion for later though. Please, continue with your questions.”

“Of course! You’ve mentioned magic a number of times. I’ve heard you can use this ‘magic’, among a number of other abilities. Is this correct?”

Corvid nodded. “Yes. Each of us has a pool of inner power that we call mana, which when combined with focus and a word of power can create phenomenon we call magic. The easiest example is fire.” Corvid held out a hand, palm up. “By concentrating on the image of a flame hovering above my palm, I say the requisite word of power and it comes into being. Fas.

Bede started slightly at the torch-sized flame that appeared above Corvid’s hand, but his reaction was dwarfed by the gasps from the audience. Nick had almost forgotten they were there while listening to the two champions, and turned to look. The movement among the crowd gave off the feeling of unease. That wasn’t a good sign.

“Nick.” Amanda whispered into his ear. “We need to be ready if things go bad.”

He glanced at her, noting the small camera she had pointed so it caught both the stage and the crowd, their insurance against any tampering the media tried to do and any false accusations that could occur. “Agreed. Just follow the plan, we should have enough mana to protect the stage from an attacker or two, especially with Corvid and Tasalin here. I just hope there won’t be any more than that one or two.”

Corvid let the flame vanish. “As you can see, we can use magic here on Earth as well. We retain all of our abilities gained in Ilos when summoned here, the same for our clothes and equipment.”

Tasalin stood and pulled his shield from behind his back, the thick kite shape reaching almost six feet from top to bottom. Nick guessed the thing had to weigh almost a hundred pounds. “We gain strength by killing the many monsters native to Ilos and through helping the people there.”

Corvid glanced at Jess, who gave him a small nod, then they both stood and faced the cameras. “There will be turmoil in the coming days, but know that Sweet Dreams stands with the law, and with Jessica, no, with Lassea, who is to be our envoy and contact while we cannot be here.”

Jess stepped forward. “Those of you with a black Key, if you find yourself in danger on Earth, find the Wheel and Locket inn in Ilos and speak to the innkeeper, she will tell you where to go to find safety and learning. Know that in the coming days you are not alone. Governments of the world, I pray that you will act wisely and remember that we are still your citizens.”

Nick slid two wind cards from his pocket and readied himself for the worst as Jess raised her hands, palms up. Amanda tensed next to him, but kept her camera steady and trained on the stage and crowd.

Fas. Pos.” Jess stared at the cameras, a foot tall crystal of ice floating above one hand and a matching column of flame above the other.

The audience gasped again, starting back, though some watched on transfixed. As Nick had feared, one of the men in the front pulled a pistol from his suit jacket as he stood, firing it in the same motion at his friend.

Cirres! Nick thought desperately, the cards in his hands dissolving as a wall of solid air appeared between the man and Jess. The precaution wasn’t needed though, because Tasalin was already in front of her, massive shield angled to deflect the bullets into the ground.

The crowd scrambled for the doors as Tasalin gestured, his voice unheard over the cacophony, but following his movement a column of stone threw the gunman into the air to land on the stage. Tasalin reached down and ripped the pistol from the man, handing it to Corvid before hauling the guy up with one hand by his collar. The assailant’s attempted punches and kicks simply clanged off Tasalin’s heavy plate armor as he struggled briefly, then sagged as Corvid looked at him, eyes closing in sleep. Tasalin let the man slump to the ground and looked around, seeming to scan the room for any more threats.

The few remaining people began to approach the stage, all but one of them wearing a familiar black metallic headband. Nick and Amanda walked to join their friend, noticing too late that one of the cameramen had had the guts to stay at his equipment and that the recording light was still on. Bede, who had somehow gotten over to the camera, gave them a mischievous grin and a thumbs up. They moved to join the group on stage, it was too late to hide now.

Ice and fire still floating above her hands, Jess looked at each of the people from the audience who had stayed, then turned to stare directly into the still recording camera, smiling sadly. “So begins the age of magic. Let us work together to overcome the troubled days ahead.”

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

illos part 9

Awesome, but dang it Nick why don't you get a woman reacts differently. Secondly you summoned David, she knew your name, she cared about you, and you know her name the village to the north talked about Aria, as well as gave a description. Please figure it out or tell Jess who will figure it out.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Actually, Nick Did...

...consider the possibility of the visitor being David's female avatar, but not only didn't Aria behave as David would have -- your explanation cuts both ways, so to speak; David wouldn't be expected by Nick to act that way, female body or not -- but Nick was asleep when Aria was exhibiting the Calm, so that key connection wasn't there. On the contrary, I think Aria's emotional behavior once Nick awoke at the very end would have suggested otherwise to him.

Eric

A long wait but well worth it

Marianne 1965's picture

A long wait but well worth it. Glad to find you're back and hoping for more postings soon.

Marianne 1965

Finally!

A new chapter of Ilos. Yay!
I've really enjoyed this story and hope to see more of it soon.

-Tornberg9

Wonderful story so far.

I have just read through book one and what has been posted of book 2 so far a second time. I look forward to reading more! This has been one of my favourite stories in quite a while.

Thank you!


Hugs from British Columbia! :D

Tas not dead!

Podracer's picture

That's wonderful news, and just as a minor plus, can write stuff too ;)
So where is the little black-haired champion off to next, and who will puzzle out her secret first? After all, laying waste to that miserable pit wasn't exactly inconspicuous.

"Reach for the sun."