Visitor from my dreams

Printer-friendly version

Visitor from my dreams

Author's note: I read a writer's prompt on facebook, and it went something like "She came to me in my dreams, and in my nightmares", and my muse took it from there ...

At first, i thought she was a nightmare, the girl in my dreams.

For I was a boy, or supposed to be. So where could this girl I dreamed of being come from?

Then there were the nightmares in truth, but she was not the monster in them, but rather a victim - a prisoner, tormented and captive.

And because I associated her with pain, for a long time, I did not, could not seek her out willingly.

As I got older, and attained some measure of distance from my pain, the dreams became more varied.

Sometimes I still saw her as suffering torment, but other times, I saw her as she might be if I had the courage to release her - strong, beautiful, feminine, and free.

But for a long time, those dreams were as frightening as the dreams of torment.

Finally, I began a quest for some measure of mental peace, and faced squarely the memories of abuse , as painful as they were.

And discovered her there, waiting for me.

And yet, for a while I did nothing.

The consequences of freeing her seemed so high, and the chances of success seemed so low, I felt even more trapped than I had been before.

But the lesson in courage I had learned in facing, and naming my abuse began to work through me, until at last, I began to unfetter her.

And was surprised to discover that not only did I not suffer the consequences I had feared, I had more success than I had dared hope for.

And that in truth, the prisoner I had freed was me.

I was the girl in my dreams, all along.

And now, the real adventure can begin ...

End.

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Facing those daemons is the hardest thing

taggrrl's picture

The hardest thing, an abuse survivor can do, is to reclaim those memories that hurt us, the most. Thus, allowing our true inner self to express, who we are, to ourselves and the world. Leaving behind the shame that keeps us, a silence prisoner, for far too long.

Perfection is, always, one step beyond, where my feet are.

Freeing the prisoner

The price can be so great, but few would go back.

Great prose

I was able to feel the the words as I read them. Nice work.

thanks, Wendy

glad you liked it !

DogSig.png