She's Leaving Home

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

She's Leaving Home

Wednesday morning at five o'clock as the day begins
Silently closing her bedroom door
Leaving the note that she hoped would say more
She goes downstairs to the kitchen clutching her handkerchief
Quietly turning the backdoor key
Stepping outside she is free

The air is cool. There are muted traffic sounds coming from the main road half a mile away. A few Blackbirds are signing.

Rita takes a deep breath and with a small suitcase in her hand she walked to the gate that blocked her path. She paused for a moment before opening the gate and leaving the place that had been her home for the past twenty-two and a bit years.

It didn’t take long for Rita to get to the Bus Stop. A No 85A bus was coming towards her along Penny Lane. She breathed another sigh of relief. Her escape from the city was going to plan.

“Lime Street please,” she said to the driver.

“One Pound Thirty love.”

She handed over the money with shaking hands.

Ten minutes later, the driver called out,

“End of the line love. This as close to Lime Street Station as we go.”

She had been daydreaming but his voice shocked her into action. She picked up her small case and stepped off the bus. She saw the sign directing her to the station. Even at this early hour, there were people scurrying about all seemingly intent on getting somewhere important and in such a hurry.

Friday morning at nine o'clock she is far away
Waiting to keep the appointment she made
Meeting a man from the motor trade

The train pulls into Haymarket right on time. He was waiting for her, standing by a van with the name ‘Kites’ Motors’ painted on the side. He smiled as she approached him.

“Thank you for coming,” he said.

“I had to leave. It wasn’t right to stay. They gave everything for me but I couldn’t be myself.”

After a brief pause she added,

“Mum found my stash of makeup again the other day. She went ballistic. All she could say was ‘Tell me Why?’ All I could say was ‘let it be’ mum. I’m a Girl and I’m going to live with Michelle, ‘and I love her’. I crept out of home early, got my ticket to ride and here I am.”

“Well, girl, you have come to the right place. Hop in and I’ll take you to see her.”

They both got into the car and he drove away from the station.

“Where are we going?” she asked when she saw a road sign saying ‘Glasgow’.

“Queensferry. Right by the bridge,” answered the man.

“Your parents were on the phone earlier. Your mother was crying,” said the man as they passed the Airport.

“I had to leave, they were suffocating me. I was not allowed to have any fun. I had to be in by ten. I’m twenty-two years old but they think I’m still a ten-year old boy. I left them a note explaining everything but…”

“That’s the right of parents. They want to keep their children safe.”

Rita didn’t answer.

“Well, here we are,” said the man as he pulled up at a house in Queensferry. The Rail bridge seemed to tower over them. He led the way into the house.

“Rita! At last”, said the woman who was waiting for her.

“Hello Michelle,” replied Rita.

The two embraced.

“Michelle, my belle,” whispered Rita in Michelle’s ear.

When they broke apart, Michelle said,

“For so long, you denied who you really are. Now you can be yourself,” said Michelle in a calm and loving voice.

“It feels so wrong. Leaving like that.”

“What is so wrong to leave a place where you were so unhappy and actually have some fun and love in your life?”
“I hope so because, fun is the one thing that money can't buy,” said Rita looking sad.

“And it can’t buy me love,” said Michelle.

“But I do want to hold your hand,” she added smiling.

Together they walked off towards that iconic bridge to begin the long and winding road of life together. Later that day, they went over the sea to to the Mull of Kintyre to live their life as they wanted to live it, together.

[authors note]

This is my brief if somewhat cheesy homage to the Beatles on the anniversary of the release of Sgt Pepper.

In the next studio at Abbey Road to where Sgt Pepper was being recorded were Pink Floyd who were recording 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. As one era (The Beatles) was drawing to a close another was beginning (Prog Rock etc).

up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not so much Another Day...

For me, it's another life.

I was one of those dreadfully unhappy teenagers in that period of my life. Nothing to do with being the wrong gender, just an insecure teenage boy. The music was good, but I don't look back on that period very often. Far happier as a senior citizen.

A cleverly worked story which I would have enjoyed, were it not for the baggage those years carry with it - but that's not your fault.

I was too

young to get the Beatles experience when they first appeared on the pop seen only being in Primary School and with parents
who were not into the music style they had.

I have come to love their music over the years.

Thank you for sharing this homage.

SamanthaAnn

I Graduated

joannebarbarella's picture

From Chuck Berry through Buddy Holly to the Beatles and the Stones. Love Love Me Do in 1962. The early sixties were magical years for pop music and your little homage gave me a chuckle and a kick in the memory box.

One quibble....wasn't Mull Of Kintyre a Paul McCartney solo?

Mull of Kintyre

Yes it was a solo. But it was the future. A future without the other three. I was hinting at their future lay elsewhere and with different people as I said in my footnote about one era ending and another beginning.
Sgt Pepper broke so many mounds and pre-conceptions but it was a hint (as admitted by Paul and Ringo) that some of the band had outgrown the band hence my mention of the Floyd. Two very different music styles but both bands mention listening to the other one at Abbey Road. A crossroads. Rita and Michelle were at this crossroad in their life.

Wow. so deep for 05:38 on a sunday morning. I'd better take a cold shower.
Samantha

Rita...

...She needed some Help and was able to get by with a little help from her friends. Now Did she become a meter maid later? If she did was she working eight days a week? I could not resist using ties to the Beatles as well in my comments.

Loved it

indeed, she did get a little help from her friends.

I read this, and am dealing

Snarfles's picture

I read this, and am dealing with the memories invoked....

I wonder....

How many parents did what they felt was right...for them. Completely ignoring what was right for their child.....

Never a truer word said

How many parents did what they felt was right...for them. Completely ignoring what was right for their child.....

Mine certainly did and to some extent, my mother still tries (aged 95) but you are so right.

Rocky

Racoon went in his room only to find Gideon's bible. Is this about the time
Gideon stop going to church. The one on Penny Lane. Is it because Michelle Mabell
found someone else.I guess he's a real nowhere man.
sorry ed


ed