Help! My girlfriend is a Unicorn! Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

Help! My girlfriend is a Unicorn!

Chapter 6

I shyly came out of my room in a dress, and my mother dabbed her eyes as she looked at me.

“Mom?” I asked, “Are you ... crying?”

“Well, it's just ... you look beautiful.”

“Well, I guess that’s good, right?”

“Sure, but you’re going into highschool next year, and then maybe college, and .. well, dont grow up too fast, okay?”

“I just want to get through today. Dont worry mom I’m in no hurry.”

We hugged.

So why was I in a dress?

It was Melody’s fault, of course.

Her home ec class was doing a bake sale/fundraiser and her teacher asked the students to wear something formal to help attract customers. And using the dreaded puppy-dog eyes, Melody had convinced me she shouldnt be the only one going to school in a dress, even though I wasn’t even in her class.

You’d think that since I was also a girl, the puppy-dog eyes wouldn’t work on me anymore, but you’d be wrong.

So there I was, trying my best to remember nobody was going to think I was a boy in drag.

And also trying to ignore the fact I ... kinda liked how I looked in this outfit. A little.

Fortunately, before I followed that particular train of thought down the rabbit hole, Melody arrived.

“Wowzers!” I said, “Mel, you look fantastic!”

Looking at her, I realized what my mom meant by growing up too fast. The dress made Melody seem at least a couple years older than she actually was, to the point I could easily see her getting hit on by high school boys.

She smiled at me, and said, “I could say the same about you.”

“Yeah, well, let’s get the day started.” I mock-grumbled.

Despite my fears, the first part of the day wasn’t horrible. Apparently, Melody’s class wasn’t the only one dressing up for the bake sale, so we didn’t stand out as much as I had feared.

As each period passed, the bake sale tables started to look more and more ready for the lunch crowd, and finally, everything was ready.

I actually had fun helping sell the cakes and cookies the girls had made, but just before lunch, the screaming started ...

I opened the door to the cafeteria, and saw that a food fight had started.

But not your normal food fight.

In this food fight, the food was doing the fighting ...

Honest. There were several piles of food that had taken on humanoid shape and were literally throwing bits of themselves at each other.

The only good thing about this crazy situation that I could see was the food fighters were focused on each other, not on the students, who were trying to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

I felt a hand pull me back.

“Mel?” I asked.

“I got a hold of my mom, she said stay clear.” Melody said.

“”You used magic?” I asked.

“No, silly. My cell phone.”

“What’s going on in there? Does she know?”

“I was able to get a picture of what’s going on, and mom said it shows who is responsible.”

Melody handed me her phone, and showed me a picture of the cafeteria. I had been so focused on the food creatures I hadn’t noticed, but in the picture you could see a boy, who looked like he was our age but dressed like a little kid going to some private school - suit jacket, tie, shirt, but very short pants - laughing at the mayhem.

“He’s a magi, mom said. If he sees us, things could go bad.”

“But kids are going to get hurt in there!” I hissed.

“No. Mom said she has called for some help.”

“The police? What could they do?”

“Not the police, but mom said we’ll see.”

And indeed we did. A moment later, there was a flash of lightning, and suddenly there was a young woman dressed in a short tunic and carrying a bow with a quiver of arrows on her back.

I wouldn’t call what happened next a ‘fight”, exactly, as it was almost immediately clear the young man was out of his league, and very quickly it was over and he had disappeared. Then the young woman said something I couldn’t understand, and the cafeteria was restored to normal, with all the students sitting at their tables as if nothing had happened.

After school was over, I went over with Melody to her house, and asked her mom about what had happened.

“Based on the photo Melody sent me, I recognized the young man as Klarion, who is of the magi - a witch, to be precise.”

“I thought witches were women?” I asked.

“No. Witch, Warlock and Wizard are all different divisions of the Magi, and someone of either sex can be any of the three.”

“So who was it who stopped him?” I asked.

“Artemis.”

“Like the Greek goddess? Really?” I asked, stunned.

Melody’s mom nodded. “My mother did her some favors many decades ago, and she has a certain dislike for magical chaos in any case, so I hoped she would come if i called her, and she did.”

“Was this boy looking for us?” I asked.

“Not likely, and in any case he was obviously more interested in causing trouble than hunting unicorns. But I still want both you and Melody to be on your guard. Okay?”

“Okay, Mrs. Greenfields.”

And on that down note, I left to go home ...

To be continued ...

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Neat way to have a food fight

taggrrl's picture

Never would have thought, to have the food to be actually fighting with each other. Also, like that you magic user divided by classification and gender, like so many writers do. Am so looking forward to more installments of this story, Dorothy.

Perfection is, always, one step beyond, where my feet are.

glad you are enjoying this

I am hoping to keep this going for a bit, as it is fun to write!

DogSig.png

Well, that would most

Well, that would most definitely be an interesting sight to actually see food fighting with itself. Looks to me like our newest "Unicorn" has some really learning about the magical world coming her way very soon; or she just may not survive within it.

learning curve

she's still got a lot to learn, yeah.

DogSig.png

Was it broccoli?

Was the food that was fighting, broccoli or Brussels sprouts? Definitely the spouts, ugh.

Since I totally blew it on 'nuzzling', we will get to read about more nuzzles? No, I don't have a dirty mind, well, maybe a little. Your magic made me this way.

Love and hugs,

Santacruzman

food fight

mountaindrake's picture

No it was the broccoli the sprouts are good. As for nuzzling it is a way of showing affection (nonsexual). All woman use magic she uses hers to spread girlie germs as for your mind odds are it was already somewhat twisted plus girlie germs equals strange thoughts. Every body I know has a somewhat twisted mind it is needed for survival. Have a good day and enjoy life.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

true enough

what's the line from Batman? Some men just want to see the world burn?

huggles, hon.

DogSig.png

Short Pants! yuck!

When I hear 'food fight', all I can think of is John Belushi in "Animal House"
Nice little universe you've made Dottie.

Karen

thanks, Karen

glad you enjoyed it!

DogSig.png

Witch boy

Dorothy did you set this in the DC universe? Because I saw Klarion in Young Justice. Anyway great story keep up the good work.

Food fight!

Food fight and a fancy dress? That's just asking for it.

At least

it was the food fighting rather than the school pupils.

Lovely Chapter to put a smile on my face today

Love and hugs to you Dorothy

SamanthaAnn

I am really liking

WillowD's picture

this magical universe you have created.

Kinda gives

Haylee V's picture

new meaning to the phrase, "And that's the way the cookie crumbles...", said I, picturing two gingerbread men fighting... Good story, dear!

*Kisses Always*
Haylee V