Tammy:Aftermath - Part 2 "Recriminations"

Printer-friendly version
 Aftermath  

Part
 
Two

 

"Recriminations"

 

 

 
Tuesday 23rd August 2016
 

A valet rushed towards the commotion, but by this time Tammy was on her feet assessing the situation; she kicked the silenced pistol away from her attackers hands. Her mobile was ringing from the desk where she'd left it.

"Bloody hell, Tammy!"

"What Dave?"

"That almost went out live."

"What did?"

"You had your weapon in your hand."

"That's because I was about to be zipped into a body bag, I need a clean up crew."

"That's in the movies, what's the problem?"

"One intruder down, don't think he's alive. No sign of anyone else. My legal advisor is dead and I think a valet has thrown up in the corridor."

"I'll advise the Met. Stay there!"

"Will do, what about the video feed?"

"It was cut."

"Good, by whom?"

"Me!"

Tammy had put her Glock 19 away by the time the paramedics and police arrived, they clearly hadn't been far away.

"You again?"

"Yes, I'm afraid so." The officer had met Tammy during the aftermath of the coffee shop attack.

"Tell me what happened."

Tammy described the attack, pointing out that it was over in seconds.

"How many shots?"

"I double-tapped him, I wasn't taking any chances."

"Where''s your weapon?"

Tammy carefully opened her blazer to reveal the firearm in a small holster.

"That's not the same weapon as the Starbucks case?"

"No, it isn't. It's still fully licensed and was issued by the armourer at New Scotland Yard. If I recall weren't you supposed to give evidence to the inquest about that attack?"

"Not for a day or two, is that what you were doing here?"

Tammy nodded, "it didn't go very well."

The next call was from Suzie.

"What's going on, we were watching it from here?"

"I was attacked, I've killed my attacker but he'd already shot my legal advisor."

"Oh! I think Jenny's being briefed now, how are you?"

"As well as can be expected! Question is, who is after me this time and who knew where I was?"

"Don't assume it was you."

"Who else?"

"No, Tammy, just don't assume!"

Tammy voluntarily went to Charing Cross Police Station, a short distance from the Hotel, to make her statement. Sir Francis Drake QC arrived there a few minutes after Tammy, having first travelled to the hotel.

"You were armed during a hearing and then you shot someone? That's an offence and I can't get you out of that one - why didn't they arrest you?"

"Because I haven't committed an offence, just like last time." Tammy reached into her bag and pulled out her permit and the official warrant.

"Well, that changes things."

"Good, as all I want to do is make my statement then get out of here. "

"You are taking this rather calmly, all things considered."

"Well, I do have training and experience."

"Such as?"

"Sorry, you are not cleared for that."

Given the nature of the case, a Detective Inspector conducted the interview. Dave Brown had now also arrived and sat in, warning Tammy when she strayed over the line.

"Sorry, can we strike the last line."

It took an hour but everyone was satisfied the statement would suffice. It wasn't fully acceptable to the Police, especially when a SECRET tag was placed on it. Tammy signed the statement and now asked the questions that had been bugging her.

"So, who was he?"

"Harry Cooper, a known hoodlum."

"Why would he be after me?"

"He wasn't, your solicitor is believed to have been the target. Cooper asked at the front desk where to find him."

"Oh."

"Having said that, he wouldn't have left any witnesses so you can assume you would have become the next target."

"I see."

"If news leaks that you killed him, then I'm afraid his associates will be looking for you."

"Well, make sure this doesn't leak." Dave interjected.

"That's easier said than done."

"In that case, we remove Miss Smarts name from the statement." Dave took it off the table and tore it in half. "Now it should be shredded."

If looks could kill, thought Tammy, the DI was not a happy man. Sir Francis rose, so Tammy took the hint and stood as well. Dave was still holding the statement. "I'll shred it then, just to be certain."

They made it outside, onto The Strand. "Dave, my case is still at the hotel."

"We'll arrange for it to be collected, is your other Glock there?"

"No, but I do have twenty rounds of spare ammunition."

"Okay, I think we should head back to the office."

Sir Francis was not happy. "You are discussing weapons as if you're looking at the lunch menu, that's just not right. Come to think of it, I missed lunch."

"Given all that's just happened, I think you should be a little more considerate. I acted in self-defence but I would have been his next victim."

"Maybe so, but at least I would have got my lunch." He hailed a taxi.

"Do you fancy a walk along the Embankment, Tammy?"

"Sure."

 
Friday 26th August 2016
 

Tammy made her way to the Thames House staff canteen, having just endured a three hour session with the in-house psychologist. This had been the third day of tiring debriefings and guilt finding, was she morally right to take his life?

The argument usually boiled down to "me or him" but that wasn't always accepted.

"How did you know he would shoot you?"

"The Police said that was his modus operandi."

"But they weren't there."

"True, but he saw me and his intent was clear."

"Clear to you?"

"Yes, to me."

"So, is that your justification, Miss Smart?"

"Yes, I mean no, I mean what are you implying?"

"You have doubts?"

"No, I don't, but it's clear you do."

"I have to ensure you are mentally fit for field work, right now I am not certain."

"Fine, at least I can go to university."

"That doesn't mean you'd be released."

"I'll resign."

"It isn't that simple."

"It is to me, I was faced with a situation that you will never be in, so how come you can tell me what's right and what's wrong? I made that call, I took the shot and I have to live with that. Fine?"

"Fine, thank you Miss Smart, you can go."

"Am I cleared for field work?"

"I'll inform Human Resources when I have finished my report."

Tammy pushed her lunch around the plate, she was angry and felt betrayed. Not one person had told her that she acted correctly, every single one had challenged her. None of them had been there, she knew that and threw it at them, but it's not a good way to win an argument.

When she wasn't being interviewed, Tammy had some cold cases to examine. It was tedious work and another job that received no thanks.

She abandoned her lunch and went in search of Jenny.

"When can I go back to work?"

"You are at work?"

"You know what I mean, Jenny."

"And you know that it's not my decision."

Fine, can I have a week's leave?"

"I thought you wanted to get back to operational work?"

"I do, but I'm not achieving anything right now."

"It's a bank holiday weekend so you'd be off on Monday, I think we can spare you for four days."

"Thank you."

"Put the request to me on the system and I'll authorise it."

Tammy did that, then looked for Flights to Wick, there were none available due to the holiday weekend. That led her to the train, she could book herself onto the sleeper service and that arrived in Inverness at 0830, but there was a two hour wait for a connecting service. She bought a ticket to Inverness.

"You're doing what?"

"Going back up North for a few days, Suzie."

"But you could be needed for an inquiry, and what about that inquest?"

"The inquest will be rescheduled then held behind closed doors, I'll submit my evidence in writing. So far as an internal inquiry is concerned, no-one's said anything."

"How did you get this past Jenny?"

"I asked, it's the simplest way usually."

"That's quite unlike you!"

Tammy decided she'd had enough, she signed out of her PC and picked her bag up.

"When are you back?"

"I'll probably come back on the fourth."

"It's your birthday this week, I thought we were going out?"

"That's the first I've heard of it, Suzie, but I'm dangerous to be around, apparently."

"I haven't picked up your present yet, I was going to do that tomorrow."

"It can wait."

"Oh, we've had some intel about that solicitor, Giles."

"Yes?"

"It seems he had a gambling problem and owed money. CCTV shows he was being followed back to the hotel after visiting the Old Bailey."

"So he was targeted?"

"It would seem that way."

Tammy collected her weapons at the reception desk then joined the Friday afternoon pedestrian traffic on the Embankment. Ten minutes later she was at Westminster Underground Station.

Her ride home was easy, there were no problems on the Tube or the Docklands Light Railway. She popped into the local store for some supplies then walked to the apartments. Sat near the door was a black saloon car, it left as she approached. She recalled Suzie mentioning a similar car several months earlier, on the day Tammy had returned from GCHQ.

"Security."

"This is Tamara Smart, can you access the cameras outside my home, please."

"One moment."

Tammy patted her jacket, her Glock 19 was in a holster.

"Okay, Miss Smart, I have the images available."

She told the MI5 security officer about the vehicle and Suzie's encounter on the 8th of April.

"It's the same vehicle, the number plate claims it's a Ford hatchback, so clearly false."

"Damn."

"I suggest you take precautions, I'll alert the local Police."

"I'm travelling up to Scotland tonight, I'll be reachable at my parents' house."

"Understood."

She disabled the secure phone and locked the encryption key back in the safe. Next on her list was to pack a case, but thankfully she still had a substantial wardrobe in Thurso.

She checked the time and found it was still before five, she made a call.

"Thurso Medical Centre."

"Hello, it's Tammy Smart. Could I make an appointment to see Dr Sutherland?"

"If you can get here in ten minutes we can squeeze you in?"

"That would be pushing it a bit, I'm in London!"

"Okay, so I guess you'd like one for next week?"

"Please."

"She can see you on Wednesday at nine thirty?"

"That's great, thanks."

Tammy was still registered with Dr Adi Sutherland, her intention was to move back to Thurso so there was no point in trying to get a GP in London. Of course, MI5 had it's own medical personnel but every visit to them was recorded on her file.

She made another call.

"RS Helicopters."

"Hello, it's Tammy."

"Hi, John here, what can I do for you?"

"I'm coming up in the morning and it's a surprise for Mum and Dad, can you pick me up at Inverness at half eight?"

"Sure, We have a seven thirty flight to Inverness so you'll be on the return trip, only I and the pilot, Jim, will know."

"Thanks John. By the way, what's the weather like?"

"Dry at the moment but threat of rain over the weekend and into Monday."

She went back to her bag packing and changed her mind about some of her choices, this wasn't easy any more. Tammy's mind drifted back two years when she'd travelled up to Thurso for the last year of her education. She'd still been Tom, or Thomas, then and only one person knew any different.

The bag had then contained simple casual clothing plus his uniform, although he'd also carried the limited female clothing as all the bedrooms at St Andrews were repainted every summer and nothing could be left there. Tom had lived in fear of his secret being discovered during a random room search.

The first half-term had been a quiet affair with plenty of studying and not much else, although Tammy was working most Saturdays at the time for Sarah Bonney in her ladies clothing boutique.

The turning point came shortly after the Guy Fawkes fireworks, when Tammy was offered a chance to star in Westside Story and when the school's kitchen had failed a health inspection. By the time the school's kitchens were back in operation Tom had gone and Tammy was a twenty-four hour girl.

Tammy felt happy with herself, and nothing was going to spoil that.

Suzie arrived home just after six and complained about the trains. "The Circle line's broken at Embankment, the Jubilee's blocked at Southwark and the Victoria Line's signals have all failed. I think it's the weather, it's very warm on the Tube, quite unbearable."

"Oh, I guess I'll go to Stratford and change onto the Central Line there. I was going to leave about eight but maybe I should go now, just in case?"

"When's your train out of Euston?"

"Quarter past nine. Mum and Dad don't know I'm going so please don't tell then, I want this to be a surprise."

"Okay, be it on your head!"

Tammy made it out of the door by seven, the information boards at the station made it clear that the disruption was ongoing. Her route avoided the problem areas but other travellers were having the same idea. Stratford Station looked like it was going to burst so she made an instant decision to ignore the Tube and grab a service from the adjacent Stratford International Station into St Pancras.

The Stratford International Station was built to service the Olympic Parc during the 2012 London Olympics, but no international trains actually stop there. She caught a domestic service that had started on the Kent Coast and ten minutes later was at St Pancras. It was now a quarter to eight, Euston was one stop by Tube to the West of her current location.

She could have caught a bus but decided to walk it instead, it was a nice evening and the light breeze was moving her cotton skirt.

Ahead she saw a commotion and a shout. A man started running towards her, Tammy could see the glint off a knife that was in his hand.

Tammy had her Glock 19 in her handbag but didn't want to cause an incident, she waited until the guy was about to run past then threw her overnight bag under his feet, he crashed onto the pavement. He dropped the knife so Tammy kicked that away then she placed a foot on his back.

"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

The reference clearly meant nothing to him and he was struggling to get up. Fortunately two rather large men came along and took control.

"Miss Smart?"

"Officers!"

"We're off duty, are you catching the sleeper?"

"Yes, a surprise visit home."

The punk was still on the pavement, face down but both Andrew and Neale Fraser had a foot on him. The twins were first class amateur Shinty players, occasional DJs and part time police officers in Thurso.

The victim, an American tourist, had lost her bag, which was still in one of his hands. "Well, what are you waiting for?" She asked.

"Pardon," said Tammy, "we'll wait for the police to arrive and then you'll get your bag back, but right now it's evidence, isn't that correct boys?"

"Like she said."

"Well, in the US I'd have shot him. Let me have my bag and I'll do just that."

A uniformed officer was now stood directly behind. "Thank you for that information, your bag will be searched."

The brothers showed their police warrants as the officer relieved them, handcuffing the punk. Another officer asked what Tammy had seen.

"It looking like a mugging, then he comes haring down to me. Unfortunately he tripped over my case."

"You seem familiar with those officers?"

"I've known them for a few years, both in and out of uniform."

"Could you give a statement?"

"I have a train to catch and it's the last one of the day. If you really need a statement I'll be available in ten days time."

"There's probably sufficient evidence without you but could I take your name and number?"

Tammy fished a very plain business card out of her bag, carefully avoiding exposing her weapon. "You can reach me via that number."

The number in question was an answering service for operational staff, calls would be typed into text messages then sent securely to her phone.

It was another ten minutes before the three continued their walk along Euston Road and into a pub on the concourse.

"What were you doing in London?"

"Our nan lives near Brighton, it was her birthday a few days ago, we just got a train up to Kings Cross."

"How old is she?"

"Eighty now, and she's as determined as ever."

Tammy laughed, this was a good distraction from a difficult week.

They ate in the food court then, approaching nine, went onto the Caledonian Sleeper train that was on Platform 1 tonight.

 
Saturday 27th August 2016
 

The remains of their train pulled into Inverness at half past eight in the morning, having shed carriages to Aberdeen and Fort William.

"Come on!"

"We've two hours to wait!"

"No, I have alternative transport."

Sitting in the carpark was her helicopter, Tammy's mobile rang as they took off.

"This is Security, Miss Smart, there's been an alarm activation at your parents house, we can see that you're not there yet?"

"No, just leaving Inverness.What's going on there?"

"We have some images from the CCTV, I'll send you a picture as it appears there's an intruder. Local police have been alerted."

up
434 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Poor Tammy

Agent 003 1/2 never gets a break, does she?
:D
I know that it would be cliched but ... Tammy flying in by chopper the with the Fraser brothers - cue "Flight of the Valkyries music"?
Nice Dirty Harry reference, BTW.
:D

I love the smell......

D. Eden's picture

of napalm in the morning. Smells like........victory.

I can soooooo see that vision as well - but the bird needs to be a Huey slick with a gun ship for support!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

My crazy brain

Now my crazy brain is producing images of Miss Tammy "Rambo" Smart running around the moors around Thurso with a machine gun and a red hanky in her hair ...

Home sweet home

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Home sweet home for Tammy, and back into the fray as usual. Yeah, Situation Normal........
Oh yeah. I was wrong in my assumption of why the hitter was there. Ya got me Shiraz.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

...Is Tammy's middle name

...Is Tammy's middle name FUBAR or SNAFU? Seems like those two are well earned because the scum always manage to cause chaos to her life!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Tammy, again?

I think if I knew Tammy, I'd avoid her. She's a trouble magnet!

Red MacDonald

Kick some butt!

Love the Dirty Harry reference! We don't live too far from SF where it was all filmed. Anyway, go Tammy. Bad things are happening to a nice person, two shooting, 1 mugging, and now a break in at mum's and dad's. She needs to go to a spa and get a cleanse.

Got to love the UK for it's slang and phraseology. Worked with some Brits and Aussies, and learned a lot including some that weren't so flattering. Looking forward to see where this poor girl is getting into next.

Thanks,

.

Santacruzman

Never a dull moment.....

D. Eden's picture

Around Tammy! Some people live charmed lives - others live under a black cloud. Tammy just seems to be in the wrong place at the right time!

It always amazes me the bs that goes down in the U.K. whenever firearms are involved. In all the time I spent armed in the service, no one ever worried about whether I was justified in pulling the trigger. They did make sure that I only targeted the right people - but if someone aimed a weapon in my direction, I was authorized to use whatever force I deemed appropriate to contain the situation.

And for damned sure no one ever made me sit in front of some flunky psychologist. Yes, I did in fact go through psych testing before being authorized access to certain types of weapons, and yes, I did in fact spend time with a therapist after leaving the service - but no one questioned whether I was justified for putting two rounds into some muj who aimed a gun at me and mine.

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

The Commonwealth governments,

The Commonwealth governments, for whatever reason, have worked very hard to demonise any form of self defence weaponry. It's a odd dichotomy. People don't blame cars for drunk drivers, but yet they'll blame knives and guns for violent behaviour.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

More guilty than the criminals.

Yes, it does seem that her defending herself can cause more of a ruction than a bank robbery, though it does seem slightly better now. At least she has her documents and most of the other plod are willing to accept them. Just thinking about it a bit. In the states a private citizen defending themselves better have their documents and their story right, and they are still likely to go for a ride.

A sworn officer, not in uniform, should be very ready to prove who they are and have a consistent story for the circumstances.

Tammy's in town

Crime statistics rising.

This is interesting, "her intention was to move back to Thurso".

Not because of PMS.

Quite a fecal outburst. Wonder what is happening with the rents?

Happy Face!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Ahhhh More Tammy, and the shenanigans that follow her around. That QC is a bit of a tool huh? By his comment about them talking about firearms, I'd get the impression he'd be offended listening to Mechanics talk about torque wrenches outside a garage.

Thurso already lookin like a mess, maybe she should be assigned somewhere they need a complete breakdown in civilization, so they can rebuild it, Tammy being there should get that done right? Like trouble in the Middle East, just send Tammy, soon teams would be able to go in and straighten it out, LoL.

LOVE IT .I don't think I want

LOVE IT .I don't think I want to stand next her bullet love her.

Just One Durn Thing After Another

joannebarbarella's picture

She needs to be fitted with Hazard Warning lights and have an exclusion zone for the safety of all who enter her vicinity.
She can't even go home in peace and tranquillity.

Male PA Announcer: The white

Male PA Announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
Female PA Announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
Male PA Announcer: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.
Female PA Announcer: No, the white zone is for loading. Now, there is no stopping in a RED zone.
Male PA Announcer: The red zone has always been for loading.
Female PA Announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for unloading.
Male PA Announcer: Look Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again. There's just no stopping in a white zone.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

He tripped...

Jamie Lee's picture

The psychiatrist was pushing Tammy's buttons, getting her to react as she did before being told she could go. He/she had to make sure Tammy understood the shooting would be with her for life. Tammy had to admit this fact.

The girl is learning. Leaving her Glock holstered and claiming the jerk tripped over her case, actually kept her out of any tricky investigations. Plus keep her cover intact.

The alarm at her parents' home sounds ominous but could be nothing more than one of the family or friends who forgot about the system. Someone who needed the loo last week two days ago last year.

Others have feelings too.

Who now?!

With each tale, the list of people wishing harm on Tammy or anyone connected to her grows. It's possible this alert is connected to the events Oop North rather than in the Big Smoke though - but even then, we've got Martin and Penny on the loose...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!