Through the years: Trials and tribulations of a preteen girl part 15

Printer-friendly version

With Edits by Anam Chara

~o~O~o~

As they entered the house, Vance went running up the stairs, so he could ditch his backpack. As he thundered up the stairs, the phone started to ring, Maggie moved to answer it. A moment later, she peered around the corner. “Hey kiddo, the phone is for you.”

Tracy walked over to it and looked at it. “Who is it?”

“Stacey.”

That put a rush her movement. Tracy grabbed the phone and spoke. “Hello? Stacey?”

“Hey Tracy, I know you’ll see me this weekend, but something has changed.”

“What?”

“Well, I forgot Brooke and the roller skating thing may be a bad idea. She could only watch, so Dad found a pizza place that does parties, or a few other places. We’ll let you know on Saturday.”

“We’re moving Saturday. We're leaving Friday afternoon, when Vance is out of school.”

“I know, silly. I’m coming with you. So is Sage and Casey. Rachel too, I think.”

“Okay. Cool.” Tracy said. There was a noise in the background and Stacey sighed.

“Hey, I gotta go. Dad needs the phone and I got homework to do.”

“Oh. Ok.” Tracy said. “Talk to you later.”

~o~O~o~

March 3rd 1983

Once again, Tracy was with her mother at the deli. This time she vowed she was going to spend more time in the apartment when the deli opened up, just to avoid police issues. But for now she was in her booth, in the deli and enjoying a light danish and reading from her history book. Mark and Beth were both in the kitchen of the deli, plus their mother and grandmother. Eva was a bit early and she was also back there, but Tracy was focused on her work.

At a little before ten in the morning, A man in an expensive business suit walked into the deli through the employee's entrance. Beth came over to him and he hugged her, than kissed each of her cheeks. Mark was out from behind the counter and he was also hugged, then each cheek was kissed. The man resumed his path for the counter. Halfway to the counter, he stopped, looked to Tracy, arched an eyebrow, then continued.

«Buon giorno!» His accent came on fast and Tracy was lost as she tried to pick up on the accent and the language. She was sure she had heard it on some T.V. show at some point. He began talking with Eva and Beth as he sat on a stool by the counter. Finally, after gesturing to Tracy, she had to ask.

“Um...what’s he saying?”

Eve smiled at her. “Tracy, this is Mr. Leone, Mark and Beth’s uncle, and he was asking who you were. He helps me learn Italian.” She said. “I wanna go to Rome some day.”

“Oh. Is he from Italy?”

“No, but he does do business over there.” Mr. Leone said, referring to himself in the third person. He had no accent at all and that surprised Tracy. “Hello young lady.”

“Hello sir.”

There was a shuffling behind the counter and he turned to see his mother. “Cara Mamma!” Mr. Leone said as he slid off of the seat, got up, kissed the cheeks of Grandma Leone and then hugged her.

“Are you a mobster? Like in those movies?”

The man laughed. “No, young lady. I’m a legitimate businessman. I actually am....how to put this....” He leaned back in his seat. “Think of me as an investor. I help startup companies, and then I retain my share for helping them. I invest my money as well. I own properties and other investments that help me make money. All of it is very legal.”

“So, you live around here?”

“Actually, I do business all over the world. But I have a yacht and penthouse in San Francisco and a condo in New York city. But I have a vacation home in Italy, too.”

Tracy gestured to the room around her. “Do you own this place?”

“Well, no. But I did help with money, so my mother could start up the bakery. That was years ago.” He stated. “But I don’t like to think I own this place. The loan there was one of love, to my mother, so she could do what she loved. With that investment, she has helped her daughter in law and my niece and nephew.” He walked over to her. "Could I sit down?" He asked.

"Sure. I don't mind."

Maggie walked in, just to check on Tracy, only to find her talking to a strange man. Beth seen her look and guessed what her question was. “Maggie, this is my Uncle, Anthony Leone. He’s Dad’s brother.” Beth said, then she turned to her Uncle Tony. “Uncle Tony, this is Maggie, Tracy’s mother.”

“Enchanted. Now I see where she gets her good looks from.” The man said to Maggie, with a charming smile. “You have a very bright and friendly daughter.”

“Thank you. She’s a really sweet girl, even after our move down here.”

“That’s good. At least she kept her cheer after a move. That can always be hand on the younger ones.”

~o~O~o~

Tracy was enjoying her lunch, while sitting across from Mr. Leone. So far she found him to be charming, with a very cute smile and a good laugh. But their visit ended when Noon rolled around. He headed out for a big meeting, giving Tracy one last smile before he left.

She sat there for a moment, watching the man leave, then she turned to her salad and homework.

“So.” Beth said as she sat in the bench seat. “You seemed to hit it off with my uncle?”

“Yeah.” She nodded. He is really funny. And he was telling me about the places he has seen.” Tracy replied. “He’s been to Rome and London, England.”

"Yeah. He does Travel a lot. Is that all you talked about?" Beth asked Tracy. The young girl wasn't sure, but Beth seemed to be worried about something.

"Yeah. He must have a lonely life. Moving around like that all the time." As Tracy said it, Beth could see a tear begin to fall.

Beth leaned over the table and gently held Tracy's hands. "None of that now. This is a no crying day, understand?"

Tracy wiped at her eyes. "Yeah."

"Now your mother is almost done. She'll be out to join you in a nice lunch in a few minutes, okay? So until then, no crying."

"Yes Ma'am." Tracy said, as she did her best to smile.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

its good to see this

its good to see this continuing again, its been quite a while.

Never be afraid to push yourself to new limits. While you might not see the path, you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

Ill try

Raff01's picture

To be better. 3 years was a bit much. Thank you for reading it though