Today's Parable - 2017 - 06 - 02 - The Hen and the Hawk

Printer-friendly version

The Hen and the Hawk
(c) 2017 Haylee V

Once upon a time, a beautiful, but somewhat misguided hen lived on a farm. She spent her days doing what most hens do -- scratching the ground for seeds and worms, preening her feathers, or laying eggs. She had a relatively good life -- safe and easy.

Unfortunately, though, she wasn't happy. She would often gaze longingly at the sky and watch the wild fowl fly overhead in absolute freedom -- a freedom she yearned for with every fiber of her being.

One day, as she was preening her feathers, she glanced over her shoulder and beheld a most beautiful hawk.

"Come with me," he said, "And I will teach you to soar the heavens."

She knew, deep down, that chickens couldn't fly, and the hawk was selling her little more than a pipe dream, but she still had the burning desire buried deep within. At first, it was easy for her to resist the hawk's charms -- just a matter of plain old common sense -- but the longer the two talked, the deeper her passion to be free became.

Eventually, she found herself looking for a means of escape, so she could learn to soar with the hawk.

A few days later, in an attempt to beat an oncoming storm, the farmer carelessly left the gate to the hen's pen unlatched as he was feeding them their corn.

Seizing the opportunity, the hen bolted, right into the waiting arms of her hawk lover.

"Can you REALLY help me soar?" she asked.

"Surely. Just follow me."

The hen, by now completely smitten with her ersatz Lothario, followed the hawk to a high cliff.

"All you need to do is to jump off," he said, "And flap those gorgeous wings. Don't worry about anything else. I'll join you once you're in flight."

With the words of encouragement, the hen made her leap. She flapped like crazy, but could not stay aloft. She fell to the ground with a sickening thud, breaking her neck.

The cunning hawk just laughed. "Looks like chicken stew for dinner tonight...".

Moral:

We are defined by the company we keep.

Nothing can ruin a good person quicker than falling in with the wrong crowd.

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Too True. :-)

Too True. :-)