Being Different Isn't So Bad Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

August wonders into the back-storage area where Becca keeps the cars her father had bought to be refurbish. She spots a nice Ford Mustang that looked like it needed some body work done to it. The interior didn’t look to bad, but it could be updated and made to look like it was new. She walks around and just enjoying the peace and quiet while exploring the old cars. August finds an old VW Thing and sits in it.

She wonders if this was brought for Becca? It would fit her style of things.

August pretends she is driving and enjoying a nice afternoon. She been thinking about Butch lately and her chest area has been painful as well. She has been wanting to talk with Becca, but Becca hasn’t been herself since her father died. August gets out of the car and explorers some more. There were several old aircraft that looked like they were being used for parts and a couple of old tractors(semi-trucks) that look like they were missing parts from them.

August heads back towards the hangar and walks inside to change her clothes and slip into her bikini Becca had bought her. The doctor she was seeing showed her how to tuck and use medical glue to make it stay. She slips her suit on and goes back outside with her bag to enjoy the sunshine for a while.

It was weird for the shop to be so quiet. There was normally a lot of noise of air ratchets and the hissing of air hoses. Not today though, everything was quiet as the day went by. She picks her cell phone up and takes a picture of herself wearing the bikini and sends it to her mother. Her mother liked to know what clothes she wore. A few minutes later August gets a text from her mother.

You look nice in that bikini sweetie.
Mom

Thanks mom. Becca helped me pick it out. It matches the string one she has.
August

How is Becca, August?
Mom

She’s coping. Lev is with her right now. She really misses her father. He was her world. I wish I had that type of relationship with dad.
August

I know sweetie. Hopefully your father will come around one day and realize what a wonderful daughter he has. I’m proud of you and wish I could spend time with you. Maybe in a couple of weeks we can get together and have a mother daughter day. Just the two of us.
Mom

That will be nice. You can meet my new boyfriend. His name is Butch and he is a freelance pilot we use sometime. He’s heading over to England right for a job we got earlier today. I wish I could go with him because he is going to be there for 4 days.
August

You’re going to have to send his picture to me sweetie. Does he know about your situation?
Mom

Not yet he doesn’t mom. We haven’t gone on our first date yet. I’ll see how the date goes before I tell him about my problem. If he doesn’t want to see me after our first date, there’s no need to tell him.
August

Okay sweetie. I won’t be the meddling mother type, but do be careful sweetie.
Mom

I will mom. I don’t think Butch will do me any harm he’ll be cutting his wrist if he does. He gets a lot from us. Plus, Becca knows him really well. He used to be in the Army and flew Apache combat attack helicopters and other helicopters. He’s a licensed jump instructor and knows how to use the squirrel suits.
August

Squirrel suits?
Mom

Sorry mom, they call them flying squirrel suits, but they are called flying wing suits. Like the ones from the Tomb Raider movie mom.
August

Oh! Is he teaching you how to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?
Mom

Nope, not yet. I haven’t asked him too. I might ask him when he comes back from England.
August

God, you’re going to send me to an early grave my daughter. Got to go. I’ll talk with you later to setup the time and were we can meet. Hugs and kisses.
Mom

Love you too mom. Hugs and kisses as well.
August

August puts her cell phone back in her beach bag and lay back to get some sun. She wanted to work on her tan. If they were somewhere private she would take her top off, but the people in the tower could see them.

August suns herself on one side for an hour and then turns over so her back gets some sun. She unties her top so she doesn’t have string lines on her back. She never thought she would ever be able to do something like this. It felt strange and exciting to her. She hopes Becca will be alright. She was concern about her big sister. It strange that she has come to think of Becca as her big sister. She had her last name changed to match Becca’s Her father didn’t like it, but her mother didn’t mind it. Her mother understood how important Becca was to her.

up
272 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good One

Love the character building. Miss Becca. If August goes skydiving, let me know as I was an instructor way back when (over 550 jumps) if you need some background.

Santacruzman

Jumping out of a perfectly good plane

Jamie Lee's picture

August is so much better with Rebecca now that Becca gave her work to do. It's also good she gets on well with her mom, dad doesn't know what a wonderful daughter he has.

Will August and Butch become an item? Will August explain herself to Butch? If Butch goes crazy after finding out from August, will he want to continue seeing her? He did figure out August wasn't who she presented, but how will he react after actually being told?

So, when's the ugly shoe drop?

Others have feelings too.

Well..

If dad is a dick.. heck with him!

alissa

Teaching you how to jump

" . . . how to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" My next to the oldest brother (USAF, retired) was an avid skydiver, I think he had well over 3,000 jumps. He was even the Area Safety Officer for Central Oklahoma for USPA (United States Parachuting Association). When I started hanging around him and going to the DZs with him it was a joke that earned non-jumpers the title "Wuffos", as in "Wuffo you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane." The stock reply was "You haven't seen the way those guys land (the plane)!"

All my information is years out of date and things like slang terms can easily change. Back when he first started jumping most skydivers still used modified military (round canopy) parachutes. When he got his first ram-air canopy it was cutting edge, state-of-the-art stuff. They were even banned by USPA to use in sanctioned competition. That has changed a lot!!!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin