Being Different Isn't So Bad Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

August sat close to her adopted sister and held her hand as the service for Charlie went on. Rebecca had picked out a beautiful casket for her father and all his friend had chipped in to purchase it for him. All the people who worked and lived at the airfield had shown up for the funeral. A twenty-one-gun salute had been provided for Charlie since he was a retired vet. Lev was holding Rebecca’s other hand as the preacher said a few words about Charlie.

Then Charlie’s friends and family stood-up and spoke fondly of Charlie. One of the funniest had been told by the Sheriff who was Charlie’s closest friend. He told a story of Rebecca running around and acting silly and Charlie chasing after her. He said that he has never seen a father like Charlie that loved and adore his daughter as much as he did. He said there wasn’t anything Charlie wouldn’t do for his little girl.

More people came and said nice things about Charlie. One of those people had been his ex-wife and said how she had really screwed up their marriage and lost the one guy that had always respected and loved her. The service goes on for about an hour and half and finally everyone starts leaving the gravesite leaving only August, Rebecca and Lev.

Finally, Rebecca wants to leave so they could start lowering the casket. Lev escorts Rebecca back to the limo that brought them here. Rebecca was crying against Lev’s chest. Tears were streaming down August cheeks. She hadn’t known Charlie long, but would have given anything to have him as a father. By the time they get home, Lev carries Rebecca into the hangar because she had cried herself to sleep.

August opens Rebecca’s bedroom door and help Lev make her comfortable. They weren’t holding a wake at their place. Some of the people that were friends of the family had brought over some food for Rebecca. Rebecca’s other family members were either staying at a nearby hotel or staying with them here at the hangar. August had met Charlie’s older brother and his younger sister. Their parents had died years ago. Rebecca’s aunt checks on her after about an hour to make sure everything was alright.

Everyone was in the living room sitting and just listening to some of Charlies records. He had a big selection of records of music he enjoyed. He had Cd’s and such, but Charlie liked the sound records made. After a few hours, Rebecca comes stumbling out of her bedroom and walks over and sits down on Lev’s lap. All she wanted to be right was hugged.

Lev wrapped his arms around Becca and holds her tight against his body. He felt for his mousey girl.

“Becca, you may get mad at me, but I told the guys to take tomorrow off with pay while you take some time for yourself.” August hopes she hadn’t overstepped her bounds doing that.

“It’s fine August. It’s customary here at the shop to give everyone a day off when a family member dies with pay. You did right.” Rebecca looks at August. She was going to need her assistant to run the place now.

Lev places a kiss on Rebecca’s cheek.

Rebecca’s uncle looks towards her “So, what are your plans for the shop Becky?”

“I plan on keeping it going. Dad said that the shop was mine should something happen to him. He was grooming me to take over the running of the shop. We have several projects that need to be finish. The restoration of the German bomber is going to take a while, so I have a crew working on that project. I have four fighter jets coming in that needs restoring and at least six cars that dad brought that he wanted to restore and sell. We have three big rigs coming in for service work on Wednesday that have been long time clients of the shop.”

Rebecca had so much work lined up for the next coming week, she hopes her and her crew can get it done. She needs to show August how to run the office and file paperwork and such. She will be depending on her and Lev as well. She knows he was going to be sticking around for the next two weeks making small local runs. She snuggles closer against his chest and let her eyes close. She was still emotionally tired.

After a while everyone notices that Rebecca has fallen asleep curled up in Lev’s lap.

August just smiles as she heads into the kitchen and grab a drink for herself. She brings a plate of cookies into the living room and set them down on the coffee table.

“I made them yesterday. I figure everyone might like some.” August hands a cookie to Lev since his lap was full of a sleeping mouse girl.

“Thanks” Lev accepts the cookie and eats it while being careful not to get any on his sleeping mouse girl.

By the end of the night everyone had retired to bed. Lev had carried Becca back to her room and laid her down and crawled in with her. He holds her throughout the night. August couldn’t sleep, so she gets up and puts her robe on and step outside and looks up into the night sky.
She spots a shooting star and makes a wish. The wish wasn’t for her, but for Rebecca. The wish for Lev to one day proposal to Rebecca asking her to be his wife. She wants nothing for herself. She wants something for a woman who has become like a big sister to her and is giving her a future.

August walks over to a swing bench Rebecca told her that had hand built by her father and sits down on it. She just watches the airstrip and enjoy the night air. This was something she has come to enjoyed living with Rebecca. The peace and quietness of the airfield at night. Nothing ever happens and you could see all the stars without a lot of city lights interfering with them.
August just sits there and close her eyes and listens to the night.

“Enjoying the night?” Butch had been out taking his nightly walk when he spotted Rebecca’s little sister sitting by herself.

Everyone knew they weren’t real sisters, but everyone had seen how Rebecca took this girl under her wing and was teaching her a trade. He had seen how dedicated this teenage girl was to Rebecca. He knew she wasn’t a real girl, but he couldn’t help it. She was good looking and polite and a hard worker. She wasn’t like some of the girls he had encounter who were either looking to get out of here or looking for someone to take care of them. No, this young girl was different. He had seen her get her hands dirty and totally filthy.

August was startled by the guy’s voice. She knew who it was. It was Butch Austin, he was a pilot for hire. Rebecca had used him a few times.

“I was till you scared me Butch.” August glad of like Butch. He was ten years older than her, but he had a kindness and gentleness to him.

“Sorry about that. Mind if I sit with you?” He had walked over to the swing seat she was sitting on.

“Nope, not at all.” August moves over so he had more room to sit down.

Once Butch sits down he leans back and just enjoys the sitting next to August. He could smell the perfume she had own, which was settle. It wasn’t overwhelming, but settle.

“How is Rebecca doing?”

“She’s doing alright. I think by the end of next week she should be back to her ditzy self.”

Butch just smiles at that comment. It was right that Rebecca was hyper when she was in a good mood. He glances at August and wonders what her plans were next Friday.

“August, I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind going out to dinner with me next Friday?”

August looks at him and smile.

“If Rebecca will allow me. I would love too. I’m still a minor and she has legal guardianship of me.”

“I’ll ask her in a few days. I don’t think she’ll mind, since Lev is older than her.”

“How do you know how old Lev is?” August was curious.

“I asked him. A lot people here at the airfield look after you two without you knowing it. We promise Rebecca’s father to watch and protect you girls. All though anyone dumb enough to try anything with Rebecca without her consent is going to be sent to the hospital. She’s can defend herself good. I saw her sparring with her father once and he barely held his own against her. “

“Ya, she does have temper, but she takes it out on her punching bag.” August has seen Rebecca get mad and take it out on her sandbag or the armor tanks hanging for her to hit.

The two of them sit for another thirty minutes till August excuses herself to head back inside.

up
278 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another chapter, but sad

Hi Ms Lady,

Loving this series more and more. Can't wait to see August on her date and some more of Becca's kick ass and take no prisoners side.

Sincerely,

Santacruzman

Selfless girl

Jamie Lee's picture

August is as unique as Lev, only wanting for her big sister and not herself. And now has a dinner proposal from Butch, a man her senior but who finds her attractive. Even though he knows August isn't a natural girl. What will big sis say when she's asked for permission?

Others have feelings too.