Allergies Suck - Chapter 8 - Parts 13 and 14

Printer-friendly version

ALLERGIES SUCK - Chapter 8 - Parts 13 and 14
By Barbara Lynn Terry

Part XIII - Still at lunch.

The troglodyte that came to the table grabbed Billie’s arm, and said out loud.

“You’re my girl from now on.”

“Let me go, you brainless troglodyte bully. I have no intention of being your girl. Now let me go.”

“Not until you say you love me.”

“Okay, I … WANT YOU TO LET ME GO!”

“No, that is not what I told you to say.”

“Well, that is what I said.”

Mr. Danieks was on lunch duty this period, and he walked up behind the troglodyte bully.

“Is there a problem here, Mr. Tennyson?”

“No, no problem. I was just having an argument with my girl, here.”

“Your girl, hey. I distinctly heard her tell you to let her go. You don’t seem to know what the word ‘no’ means.”

“C’mon, Mr. Daniels, everybody knows when a girl says no, they really mean yes.”

“Well, apparently Mr. Tennyson, you don’t have the smarts to understand that the word ‘no’ is a negative word, and it means ‘no’. Now, either you quit bothering this young lady, or I will have you, not only off of the varsity football team, but I will have you suspended as well.”

“You kick me off the varsity football team and I will whip your ass so bad, you will wish you hadn’t.”

“Alright, Mr. Tennyson, you are suspended. Clear your personal items out of your locker and turn your books in.”

“Why don’t you try to make me, Daniels.”

“You are suspended for one week. Then you will go to a hearing before the school board. Mr. Tennyson, I am going to ask for your expulsion from the school system. You can’t go around forcing your intentions on others”

“Yeah, why not?”

“Because it is, number one, against the law; number two, it is not polite to demand things of others without their consent. Now, I know you are a formidable line backer on the varsity football team, but you cannot use that as an excuse to force someone to do something they don’t want to do.

“Now, Mr. Tennyson, march right to your locker and clean it out.

“Like I said, make me.”

Mr. Daniels spoke in to his handheld two way radio.

“Security to the lunch room, security to the lunch room, stat.”

Within seconds, three school security officers entered the lunch room.

“Over here,” Mr. Daniels said, summoning the officers.

“This student has been suspended and refuses to clean out his locker. He even told me to make him do what I said.”

“Is that so,” Mark Hamm said in a tone that was not humorous. “What is your name?”

“My name is nunya.”

“What’s your last name?” Asked Mark Hamm.

“My last name is business.”

“So, you are telling me that your name is Nunya Business?”

“Yeah, rent a cop, that is what I am saying.”

“Mr. Daniels what is his name?”

“His name is Lloyd Alfred Tennyson. He is eighteen years old and plays line backer on the high school* varsity football team.”

“Well, Mr. Tennyson, are you going to empty your locker, or not?”

“It’s or not, rent a cop.”

“First of all, I am not a rent a cop. I actually work for the school board. Second, if you don’t empty your locker, we will do it for you. Third, we have the authority to handcuff you and hold you for the police. Which will it be?”

At that moment, Lloyd Tennyson hit Mark in the face, and all three security officers had Lloyd down on the floor and handcuffed.

“Lloyd Alfred Tennyson, you are hereby expelled from this school. That will be written in a report, with a copy placed in your school records. The only authority that can overrule what I just said, is the school board. Take him to his locker and clean it out.”

Mark Hamm, smarting from the blow to his face, was only too happy to escort Mr. Tennyson to his locker.

“Let us have the combination, Mr. Tennyson.”

“Go to hell.”

“Attention, attention, this is Hamm. We need a bolt cutters at locker 1536.”

“Last chance, Mr. Tennyson. Give us the combination, or we will cut the lock.”

“Go to hell. You can’t force my locker open without a search warrant.”

“We don’t need a search warrant to open school property after the student has been expelled. Now, before those bolt cutters get here, give us the conbination.”

“Okay, it is right 22, left 36, right 19. I hope you’re happy now.”

“Yes, I am. You saved your lock. Is that your back pack?”

“Yeah, it is.”

“It looks like a hiker’s pack. We’re putting everything except the books in the pack. When we are done, you will be escorted off of school property by the police.”

“What for?”

“Threatening a school employee with bodily harm, assaulting a school security officer by conduct regardless of life. When we give this report to the police, they will take you to jail, because we are pressing charges. This is Hamm, cancel the bolt cutters and call the police. We are coming to the security office with the student.”

“10-4 Hamm, we will notify the police. What are the charges?”

“Threatening a school employee with bodily harm and assaulting a school security officer by conduct regardless of life. The student is eighteen and is Lloyd Alfred Tennyson.”

“We will be waiting, Mark.”

The three security officers took the troglodyte bully to the security office to wait for the police. Meanwhile, Billie and her friends were talking about the incident.

“Why did Lloyd want you to be his girl?” Asked Denise Cummings.

“He really didn’t, he just wanted to force himself on anybody he thought would be easy. If you know what I mean.”

“That is just disgusting,” Jeannie Adams added.

“I have a feeling that we will never see Lloyd again. He is eighteen, and that means whatever crime he commits, he is going to jail.”

“I think he is headed there now, Billie,” Sandra Henderson stated.

“Well, he should have thought about that before he let his left foot get in to his mouth,” Billie added. “He was named after Alfred Lord Tennyson who was a very good poet. I don’t know why he had to disgrace his namesake like that.”

“I really don’t think he does either. I could tell by the way he carried himself and the way he talked, that he isn’t very smart. I will bet someone has been doing his work for him, just so he could play football.”

“I’m willing to bet, you’re right, Denise,” Sandra added. “But, what I don’t understand is this; he is a high school student. What was he doing here, on this side?”

“Skipping school, I am willing to bet,” added Sandra
Henderson.

“Well,” Billie said in an exasperated tone. “I think we should get our books for our next block.”

The girls all got up and put their trash in the very large wastebasket you see in school cafterias. They got to their lockers, just as the bell ending the lunch period, rang. They took out their books for the next two blocks and went to their next class.

It was nice that all four girls were in the same classes. Anyway, they walked in to their next class. Soleil and the other two girls went to gym class because they were taking gymnastics. Billie went on to home economics.

As she walked in to the classroom, Mrs. Fielding greeted Billie.

“Good afternoon, Billie,” Mrs. Fielding said with a beaming smile.

“Good Afternoon, Mrs. Fielding,” Billie answered back.

“When the rest of the class gets settled, I will begin the lesson for today. We’re going to make something very delicious.”

It was then that the other students began filing in to the classroom. They each took their seats, and then Mrs. Fielding began.

“Ladies, today we are going to make something for the entire class to share, like we have done quite a few times before. I decided that we should make something delicious. As everybody knows, this is a class participation project. There are recipes printed out that are on your desk. You may take those home and try your hand at making that for your family.

“Outside of the recipes on your desks, I want someone to make a suggestion as to what we should make today. Anybody have any ideas?”

I raised my hand.

“Yes, Billie”

“I was thinking that we could make a fruit torte of some kind. Like, maybe a raspberry torte, or a blueberry torte. That would be something different.”

“Thank you, Billie. Who wants to make a torte?”

Everybody raised their hands. This was going to be a good day. We can actually make our junk food and eat it before dinner. I stifled a giggle.

Strawberry Torte

INGREDIENTS
Unsalted butter, for pan
8 extra-large eggs, room temperature, separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar

C&H Sugar Pure, Granulated
$1.99 thru 05/20

Domino Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
$1.99 thru 05/20

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons sifted baking powder
1 pint heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for work towel
1 quart strawberries, washed, dried, and hulls removed
DIRECTIONS
1.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and line a rimmed 15-by-10-by-1-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper; set aside.
2.
3.
In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar together until light in color, about 1 minute; stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Add cake flour and baking powder; stir until well combined.
4.
5.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into flour mixture.
6.
7.
Pour cake batter in prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake until cake springs back when touched, about 20 minutes.
8.
9.
Meanwhile, set 6 strawberries aside for garnish. Thinly slice remaining strawberries. Place heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat on medium speed. Slowly add remaining teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Set half of the whipped cream aside. Gently fold sliced strawberries into remaining half; set aside.
10.
11.
Lay a clean kitchen towel flat on a work surface with one of the short ends facing you. Generously sprinkle dish towel with confectioners' sugar. Flip cake onto towel, remove baking sheet, and peel off parchment paper. Using the dish towel, roll cake away from you; let cool.
12.
13.
Unroll cake. Evenly spread strawberry whipped-cream mixture over surface of the cake and re-roll. Transfer cake to a serving plate and evenly spread top and sides of cake with reserved whipped cream. Cut reserved whole strawberries in half lengthwise and place on top of cake for garnish.**
14.

“Alright, class, I have printed out the recipe for making the torte. I am putting it right on the refrigerator door. Bille, Tabatha, Ginger and Arlene, please see what ingredients we have to make the torte.”

The girls got right to work. They saw that all the ingredients were stocked, either in the cupboards, or in the refrigerator. Arlene Jennings raised her hand.

“Yes, Arlene?” Mrs. Fielding asked, answering Arlene’s query.

“Mrs. Fielding, how is it that we have all of the ingredients for the torte?”

“Well, I like strawberry tortes, too, you know.”

The class giggled, and the four girls went right to work. They assembled the ingredients and the necessary utensils. They got out the necessary pans. After they were done with that, they all sat down.

Arlene Jennings was twelve years old, and lived just two blocks from the school. The Jennings family weren’t rich, but Arlene’s father made a comfortable living as a confectionary plant supervisor. Arlene’s mother was a legal secretary.

.they were home. Home, to the Jennings family was time for the family to bond. Arlene did her homework in the living room.

“Alright, class,” Mrs. Fielding continued. I need two ladies to mix the ingredients and place the torte in the oven.”

Janey Springer and Melody Watson raised their hands.

“Alright, ladies, I have my two chefs. Follow the directions on the recipe on the refrigerator. Janey how long does it say to bake it in the oven?”

“It says to bake until cake springs back with a touch of a finger, about twenty minutes.”

“That is correct, Janey. Class, this kind of torte doesn’t take long to make, and it doesn’t take long to cool in the refrigerator.” This would make a good dessert for you to make at home.”

When there are two people mixing the ingredients, it doesn’t take long to place it in the cooking pan. Janey handed Melody the ingredients, and Melody mixed them.

“Melody, what temperature did you set the oven at?” Mrs. Fielding asked.

“I preheated the oven to 350 degrees, Mrs. Fielding.”

“A;right, are all of the ingredients mixed according to the directions, Melody?”

“Yes, Mrs. Fielding. I am transferring the torte to the cooking sheet, and placing it in the oven.”

“That is perfect, Melody. You and Janey can sit down. I need one girl to watch the torte and test it in about twenty minutes.”

Billie raised her hand, but Mrs. Fielding called on Jennifer Madison.

“Jennifer, you may watch the torte and make sure it doesn’t burn. Burnt strawberry torte does not taste good.” The class giggled.

*The Tri-County Schools are located in one building. Grade school has grades K-5; middle school has grades 6-8, and the high school has grades 9 thru 12.

**Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 2157.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow

It's been awhile since I've read this story. What's not clear though is, did the kid decide against surgery? Or was it done? What exactly happened from the courtdate till now, so much seems missing, I mean the other kids would notice if she had to take a month or more off after that surgery because the recovery time of that is LONG.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Glad to see a teacher not

Glad to see a teacher not backing down from a bully, especially a bully using the comments that simply because he was on the football team, he could not be touched by any rules. Looks like it is time for the school administrators to have a chat with the team coach(es) about their players; as if this idiot has that idea in his head, there is bound be to be others as well.