Being Different Isn't So Bad Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Rebecca was feeling down and sad that her father might die in the next three months. Lev had tried to make her happy and she appreciated it, but it didn’t help any. Rebecca’s nose start twitching as does her ears as well. Her nose was picking up a ripe body odor smell. She heard some noise coming from behind her. Rebecca stops what she was doing and turns around to see who the person was.

August has been walking for the past four hours hoping he could find someone to hire him. He had lost his last job when they found out he was a transgender. He had tried to hide the fact he was transgender, even from his parents. His mother had found out when she found a pair of her underwear and her favorite bra hidden in his room. She was mad at first, but didn’t have a problem with it, unlike his father. He was your typical bigot and blamed everyone else for his problems. How his mother stayed with him, he would never know. All he did know was his father was starting to hate him.

He had been told by his father that he couldn’t come home till he found another job. He was only fifteen years old and a lot of companies and people wouldn’t touch him. So, he had left home three days ago and hitched hick from South Carolina to where he was currently. He had spotted the sign for the repair shop while walking down the highway.

Rebecca watched as a young teenage girl walks towards her shop. She could tell the girl was on hard times. Her clothes were out of style and dirty. She smelled like she hadn’t had a bath for a few days. Her tennis shoes were duct tape. Her face was sun burned. Rebecca just stands there and watches as she comes closer to her.

August had spotted a small figure standing in front of a car dressed in a mechanics uniform watching him. He also noticed a big rig truck parked next to the hangar he was heading too. He notices she had a tail and looked like a humanoid mouse. He didn’t know what to make of
this mouse person. He walks closer and stops. He adjusts the backpack he had taken with him when he ran away from home.

“Hi, I was wondering if you had any work I could do?” August was tired and thirsty.

“Do you have a name?” Rebecca could smell the person better and could tell that they were a male. They may sort of look like a girl, but didn’t smell like one.

“Yes ma’am. My name is August Elizabeth Miller.” August hated his real middle name.

Rebecca could smell he was lying to her. She watches him and wonders why he was in such a state.

“Let’s try this again. Tell the truth or you can get off my property. What is your name?” Rebecca had to let this person know she valued the truth. If she couldn’t trust him, then he can’t work for her.

August sigh. He didn’t like his birth name, but it has been three days since he has eaten anything or slept anywhere that he considers safe.

“My name is August Earl Miller and I am from Greenville, South Carolina.”

“Well August, thank you for telling me the truth. My name is Rebecca Trenner and to answer your question, there is some work you can do around here if you’re willing to work hard. Do you know anything about cars, airplanes or big rigs?” Rebecca wanted to see what August knew.

“No ma’am. All I do know is about computers and electronics.” August figure this person may not hire him.

“Well it looks like I’ll have a few things to teach you. Also, if you are going to pass yourself off as a girl. You’ll need better clothes and shoes.
Plus, takes baths more often. Now, if you want to work around the shop and help me out. I’ll provide you with room and broad and start you off at minimal wage. Also, I expect you to be honest to me. Do you have a driver license?” Rebecca figures he could drive the spare willy jeep to get parts for her and to go to the store.

“No ma’am.” August looks down at his shoes.

“No problem. You can use my old scooter to go to the store or into town.” Rebecca figures he could use her scooter, like she uses to do.

“Come on in and let’s get you settle in. Have you eaten anything today?” Rebecca heads inside the hangar past the garage area.

“No ma’am. I haven’t eaten anything for the past three days.” August follows behind Rebecca. He watches her tail as she walks. He had never seen anyone like her except in a cartoon or anime. As he is walking behind Rebecca he spots a picture of Gadget from the rescue rangers painted on the wall and painted on a huge tool box.

The two of them go through a door into a section of the hangar that had been design to live in.

“Wow!” August had spotted model airplanes and a trophy case with trophies in it along one wall.

“Ya, my father and I competed in a lot of contest. Most of those trophies are his. I have a few in the case.” Rebecca stops and looks around. The models were ones she had personally put together herself. Some of them were remote capable and had won her a few races.
“This is the living room. We have satellite cable, so you can watch whatever you want. There’s Wi-Fi here as well and I’ll give you that passcode. The Kitchen is over there.” Rebecca points to where the kitchen was.

“Normally, breakfast is served around seven in the morning. Me and the other guys that work here normally break for lunch around noon or one. Either one is fine with me. Dinner is sometimes here at six or over at the propeller club around seven. Since its been me lately, I have been eating over at the propeller club. I’ll tell you now kid. It takes a while for them to warm up to you. Everyone there knows everyone who lives around here or at the airfield. My boyfriend is currently visiting me, so you’ll met him later. He’s out running the airfield and will be back in twenty minutes.” Rebecca moves deeper in the hangar.

“Over here is my father’s bedroom. He is currently in the hospital. Across from him, here.” Rebecca points to the door directly across from her father’s bedroom.

“This is the home office and it has the monitors that cover our storage area and around the hangar as well. It also connects with the wireless cameras in the tow trucks as well. Once you learn how to drive, I’ll take you out on a few tow jobs with me. Whenever you leave the hangar or the airfield in the tow trucks you inform me, my father or Tonya or whoever is on duty over at the air tower. That way if something happens to you we can send the sheriff out to you.” Rebecca walks down a few more feet.

“This is my bedroom.” Rebecca points to a door that has the mouse gadget drawn on it.

“The bathroom is directly across from my bedroom.” Rebecca opens the bathroom door and shows him the huge waterjet tub and shower.

“The linen closet is here.” Rebecca points to it.

“There’s soap, shampoo, conditioner and razors. So, if you want to shave, help yourself.” Rebecca walks down a few more feet “The guest rooms are here and here.” Basically, right across from each other.

“Go ahead and pick which room you want and settle in. Dinner won’t be for another few hours. There’s a few lunchables snacks you’re welcome too in the frig. They should hold you over till dinner. So, go ahead take a few, but leave room for dinner. Also, go ahead and take a bath as well. Oh, I forgot. The washer and drier is behind the folding doors next to the kitchen bar. So, if you have anything you would like wash, go ahead and wash it.” Rebecca turns to face August

“August, I value honesty and truthfulness from people. I don’t know what trouble you are in or what your circumstances are, but if you are truthful to me. I will always help you. If you don’t have any spare shoes. I know we can pick-up a pair across the airfield at Betsy’s General Store. She normally keeps work boots and tennis shoes in stock. I’ll pay for them and any other items or articles of clothes you need.”

“I don’t mean to be any trouble, Rebecca.” August meant it. He was just happy she was willing to give him some where to live and work.

“You’re not August, just be truthful with me from now on. We can talk about whatever brought you here when you feel comfortable around me. Now go and get settled in and take a bath or shower. Just don’t use up all my bath beads.” Rebecca walks away and heads back outside to finish the job she was doing.

August stands there in the hallway and tries to decide which room he wanted. The one next to Rebecca or the room next to the bathroom. He decides to take the room next to Rebecca. When he walks into the room, it was plain except for a few pictures. There was a bed, desk and dresser and a closet against the right-hand side of the room. He felt a breeze above his head and looked up and spotted an old fashion ceiling fan. There was a window directly in front of him, near the desk.

August empties his backpack and start settling in. He takes the clothes he is wearing off and leave them in a pile on the floor. He’ll get a trash bag from Rebecca later. He grabs his bath robe and crosses the hall towards the bathroom and takes a nice relaxing bath after adding a few bath beads to the huge tub.

up
263 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

August just may have found a

August just may have found a kindred soul who appears to be more than willing to help him become a her. That is something special indeed. Like these side stories as they give lots more depth to each of the characters in the main story.

Not much of a father

Jamie Lee's picture

August's dad was no father to be proud of, or look up to. By his actions it might be safe to say he didn't really love August before he found out about him be TG.

August is in better hands being with Rebecca than being home. Rebecca knows how it is to be different and treated for it. S/he will do better with Rebecca.

Others have feelings too.

August should have been truthful right away

Julia Miller's picture

And told Rebecca, "Look I am a transgender woman. I don't use my old deadname anymore, but I have named myself August Elisabeth Miller." That way she wouldn't have had to deadname herself. Trans people hate their deadnames and never want to use them. August was lucky that she could still use her first name, even though she hated her middle name.