Never Pull on the tail of a Wolf (revised) Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Yariel and Kaleb watches from their hidden spot. There was no moon out tonight to give them away. Perry had sent the two of them in to do recon of the property. They had arrived in town early this morning and waited till dark to make their move. Tyler had done an over flight of the property a couple of days ago. So, they knew the layout of the property and where most of the buildings were and a few forest roads that cross the property they could use.

They had thought about using the river that border the property, but that would had been difficult because it cascaded. So, they had come down the forest access road that took them to the back end of the property near the end of the runway. They had spotted several surveillance cameras that watched over the runway and the fence line. They knew there were other surveillance equipment on the property, but so far, they either hadn’t gone off or weren’t turned on.

They kept making their way to the main house which had the outside lights on. They observed that there was no way they were going to approach the house with the lights covering every corner of the house and yard. Even the area near the main garage was lit-up. They knew the property was getting public power and found where it was coming in from. So, cutting the power wouldn’t be a problem, but they had also found that he had back-up generators for the property in a secure area, not far from the house.

They had spotted the communication tower on the property, but the area was too well protected. It would take a missile attack to knock it out. The most valuable spots were the main road leading down to the main house and forest access roads. They heard a wolf howl off in the distance.

Cadmus and Sphinx had been laying by the girls enjoying the attention being bestow upon them by their humans, when their heads pop-up off the floor at the sound of a wolf howling far away from the house. Both Sphinx and Cadmus race from the room everyone had gather in for the night. Jack gets up and grabs his rifle and the triple barrel shotgun from the gun case and follow the wolves out the back door.

The girls look towards their grandmother, their Uncle and Selina for them to tell them what was going on.

“Girls, don’t worry. Your father and the wolves are just going to go and check out something.” Selina gets up and walks over towards the alarm system and arms it. All the windows that had been open so they could enjoy the fresh air slowly start to close and lock. All the doors in the house lock and seal.

“Mrs. Bounty, could you watch the girls for me please?” Selina was heading towards the office to watch what was going on, on the surveillance cameras.

“Girls, why don’t you come over here and join me on the sofa.” Cara smiles at her granddaughters and could tell they were a little scared by what was going on.

Both Julia and Gina were feeling a little scared by what was happening. They had never seen the wolves react like they had done or seen their father grabbing his weapons. Both girls get up and go over to sit next to their grandmother. They watched their Uncle Seamus go with Selina towards their father’s office.

Jack had followed the wolves out the back door. Instead of following them on foot, he heads towards the stables which were closed and grab his Arabian to follow the wolves further out. He came out on his horse and followed Sphinx and Cadmus.

Sphinx and Cadmus had heard Chaos’s howl summoning them. They had taken off to see what has intruded on their territory and why the pack leader was summoning them.

As Yariel and Kaleb were skirting the woods near the hanger, they heard a low growl right in front of them. They couldn’t see anything with their night goggles, but they heard the growl. They heard it a second time and it was stronger and closer this time. Both were looking around for what was making the sound, when all sudden a big black blur jumps at Yariel and grabs hold of his neck. Kaleb saw the huge animal in front of him mauling his partners neck. As he brought his gun around to shoot the animal, it had jumped clear of Yariel and turned its attention towards him.

As Kaleb was looking at the animal he saw that he was faced with the biggest dam wolf he has ever seen. Kaleb notice that blood was dripping from its muzzle and it was growling at him. He fires his gun at it, but it jumped just in time and he missed. He goes to fire a second time, but he gets hit from the side by something and pushed to the ground. Whatever just hit him had his gun arm and he heard the bones break as it mauls his arm.

Kaleb hears something yelled towards him in a foreign language.

“ag insint madra a sÚil” and all three wolves stop and watch him. Sitting up on a huge horse and looking down at him with a triple barrel gun aimed at him. Was the man he had been hired along with the others to kill.

Kaleb saw three angry wolves looking at him. Two of them had blood dripping from their muzzles. He noticed that the other two that had just arrived, looked to be the same size. But the first one that had attacked him and his partner was a good two or three feet taller than them.
Jack looks down at the man lying on the ground cradling his arm and staring up into his shotgun. He had saw that Chaos had made quick work of the other body lying nearby.

“Now you can either tell me what you are doing on my property or I can let the wolves finish you. I’ll even be sporty and give you a head start if you tell me why you are here?” An evil smile forms on Jack’s face.

Kaleb had heard rumors about this man and knew either way he was dead. The question was, how did he want to die. He knew he was no match for the wolves and knew even if he survives he was a dead man.

Chaos growls at him and licks his muzzle.

“Oh, I would hurry if I was you. See that big one doesn’t like playing with his food and is getting impatient with you. The other two want to play with you some more. So, I would answer now in English or you get an up close and personal showing of their teeth.” Jack just keeps smiling because he knows all three wolves wanted a piece of him.

All three wolves growl at the same time as they look at him.

“Me and my partner were hired to scout your property. We were looking for the best way to attack you.” Kaleb knew he just signed his death warrant.

“How many are there of you and where are you holding up at?” Jack wanted as much info as possible.

“There’s five of us and were held up in the next town over from yours.” Kaleb was just staring at the big ass wolf in front of him.

“Only five of you. God, I should feel insulted.” Jack dismounts and kneels next to Kaleb.

“I’m going to keep my promise to you and give you a good five-minute head start. However, I’m taking your guns and knife. I wouldn’t try to use your satellite phone, because the jammers are on. Here let me help you up.” Jack lifts Kaleb up off the ground.

“Now, I figure you came up the forest access road. If you cut through those trees.” Jack points to an area Kaleb couldn’t see “you’ll run straight into it. You have five minutes before I send all three wolves towards you. After that it’s a matter of who is faster you or the wolves? I’m betting on the wolves, but I could be wrong.” Jack just smirks.

“I would go now.” Jack lets go of Kaleb and watch as he starts running towards the area he pointed out.

Kaleb had started running the moment Jack had release him. He headed in the direction Jack had pointed. His right arm was useless. He heard Jack say something in a strange language again and then the wolves whimper.

Jack looks at the wolves and in Gaelic” Fan” which means wait in Irish. Jack goes about searching the dead body of the other fellow.

Everything of value is taken and his face is photograph as well. Along with his finger prints.

Without stopping what he was doing Jack says “ionsaí” to the wolves.

All three wolves take off towards the direction the guy took. The next thing Jack hears is the screams of the man the wolves had been sent to attack.

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

let the games begin

let the games begin

Silly man

You can't outrun a four legged fur wearing heat seeking missile of death... you should have just asked him to shoot you now, get it over with with a lot less pain. Maybe even some dignity... lol... but then again you came to kill him and his family. hmmmm choices. =]

Interesting development that's for sure! Can't wait to see what happens next...

Sara

Anyone know how to say

Anyone know how to say "Dinner" in Wolf?

Dinner

mountaindrake's picture

As in an invite to or as in to be the dinner. YES but dose not translate well to human vocal sounds in writing so sorry.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

Oops

Somebody pulled a tail. Bad puddy.

He takes no prisoners

Wow, That was a bit "in your face". Run and Die or just Die no prisoners taken here.
This is a wolf protecting his cubs and somebody has just pulled his tail. Who's next?

There were five

Jamie Lee's picture

Oops, guess that folder Sanzo had didn't mention wolves, trained wolves.

Guess Kaleb never had to worry about wolves before. He sure won't have to worry about them again.

Five minus two equals three. Three who don't know they might now be hunted.

Others have feelings too.