Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3150

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3150
by Angharad

Copyright© 2017 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“I’ve spoken with Mr Dunstan.” I said to Simon as we cuddled together in bed.

“Who’s he?”

“At Stanebury.”

“What, Dunstan, you mean?”

“That’s what I just said.”

“Ah, the problem is I’ve only ever known him as Dunstan, without any form of title.”

“Well not being a silver spooner, I’m quite happy to call anyone older than me politely.”

“I’ll bet he told you to call him Dunstan.”

“When we first met he did, but I told him I was uncomfortable doing so. He understood.”

Simon chuckled quietly, “You are just too nice for this world.”

“I don’t think so—did you know hedgehogs need ninety hectares to roam over to breed successfully?”

“What’s that got to do with Dunstan? And why did you speak to him?”

“I’m planning on taking the brood up there for a few days at Easter.”

“Menorca would have been warmer,” he gently chided. Then ‘ooffed’ as my elbow met his ribs.

“You’re mistress of Stanebury now, so you may go there whenever you wish.”

“Occasionally, I think I might like to live there.”

“If that’s to escape me, I’d suggest I’m infinitely more pleasant than the midges in high summer and the cold and wet in winter. Besides with modern communication systems, you could hardly be a hermit up there these days.”

How did he know that if I did live there I’d be an eccentric recluse? “Worse—there’s no dormice up there.”

“You could always study haggis.”

“Or orange pixies,” I said quietly and he roared with laughter.

“I think they’re only ever found in Edinburgh.”

“Probably, I suspect they’re a very endangered species because if they don’t get their own way they make threats and throw tantrums.”

“I’ve seen that behaviour somewhere else,” he said almost in a whisper and I felt myself grow hotter.

“I’ve haven’t done that for ages,” I said blushing even hotter.

“It wasn’t you I was thinking of.”

“Oh, one of the kids?”

“My sister.”

“Stella?”

“She’s the only one I have to date.”

“She hasn’t thrown a wobbly for ages.”

“Oh well, one is overdue then.”

“Perhaps she’s out grown them?”

“That would imply some form of maturation?”

“Yes I know.”

“This is Stella we’re discussing.”

“Yes.”

“Leopards and spots.”

“Ah except the human brain has enormous capacity to change in terms of behavioural plasticity, setting up new pathways and all sorts of things.”

“If I knew what you were talking about, I might agree,” he said gently rubbing my nipple.

“That’s nice,” I said feeling my tummy doing somersaults.

“It is,” he said.

Half an hour later I was standing in the bathroom wiping up his goo and having a little wash and he was fast asleep. I’d probably be sore tomorrow—we haven’t done it for a while; but there was no blood so it might just settle down—it was jumping like mad.

Once you admit to feeling something physical like an itch or a pain, your body does an all over check and finds varying degrees of similar things in all sorts of places, which allow you to almost fall asleep before itching or hurting and you’re back to full wakefulness. This happened for nearly an hour according to the bedside clock before tiredness took over and I zonked.

Two hours later I was whimpering as I felt my left calf cramp and the ridiculous pain that it causes. I almost fell out of bed as I scrambled to straighten my leg, which refused to comply and with a squeal, I fell into my wardrobe with a muffled clunk. Now I was stuck as my leg was still paining and I couldn’t get myself upright and out of the pile of clothes that had come off the hangers and landed on top of me.

A light came on and a sleepy voice said, “What the hell are you doing?”

“Help me up will you, I’ve got cramp.”

“I’ve heard of corks in the bed as a prevention but never lying in a wardrobe,” he said as he pulled me vertical again. I still couldn’t straighten my leg so he hoiked me up in his arms and unceremoniously dumped me on the bed before grabbing the offending leg and massaging the painful muscles. “Relax, dammit,” he said as I whimpered in pain. Finally, his effort worked and the pain stopped and I could straighten my leg normally.

“Thank you, darling,” I said as I got up from the bed.

“How did you get that?”

I shrugged.

He yawned and got back onto bed while I went for a wee—it had nearly scared something more solid out of me and sleep was about as close as Neptune ever gets. I pulled on a dressing gown and went downstairs, the snores from the bed suggested Simon had recovered from his interruption in somnolence.

Sitting quietly with my leg still quite tender from being treated as a tough steak, I sipped my tea. He hadn’t actually said he would come up to Stanebury with us which was a slight concern. It’s his ancestral home not mine and I wondered in my sleep-deprived state if the house actually didn’t like me because of my background—lower middle class and transgender.

Then I almost laughed at my nonsense, how can a house be an entity other than in terms of being a collection of stone and mortar? However, I remembered the two visits I’d had from the grey lady or whatever they called the ghost and I apparently passed muster on both occasions. Oh this was getting silly—there are no such things as ghosts, full stop—and houses are merely constructions of various materials all of which are inanimate, so a house cannot be a living entity, any atmosphere comes from the people living there or possibly from electromagnetic energies in the environment around or under it. Convinced I’d resolved the issue and it was my husband’s house, so it was my house as well and I was going to stay there for a week or so and it had better behave or I’ll have it knocked down and a block of flats built there.

“I dinna think sae, milady,” whispered a female voice as I climbed the stairs and I went all goosebumps. To say I fled back to bed would be an exaggeration, but I didn’t hang about and Simon’s body felt warm and comforting.

The next morning I had quite a rainbow of bruising on my left calf and it was quite tender. I certainly wouldn’t be riding my bike today, being sore in the leg and somewhere a bit higher. I wondered if anyone ever got cramp there as I sprayed the shower on my still tender naughty bits.

I stepped carefully back into the bedroom after drying myself and once clad in lingerie, blow-dried my hair and finished dressing. Simon had been gone an hour or so as the radio alarm came on and all that was on the news was bloody Brexit or that bloke in the White House. I could be glad to get to work back in my ivory tower.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
248 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yes!

Years of trying and I finally am able to give the first kudos for a Bike episode.

Thanks for keeping this going. Can't wait for Cathy at the castle again. What evil awaits? Russians?

Thak you Angharad,

Lovely story, as always ! My Tee is emblazoned with "Tuck Frump" and you should remember re our Scots leader (?) that " Caviar comes from a Virgin Sturgeon ,and a Virgin Sturgeon is a very fine fish ,for a Virgin Sturgeon needs no urgin' ,that's why caviar is my dish ":)

<em></em>

LePen is coming

Never knew leg cramps were connected to there. Wait for France, then the news will have something else to depress you.

Karen

I Hate Leg Cramps

littlerocksilver's picture

They seem to appear at the worst times - night. I try to keep my legs straight. That helps. The aftermath can last up to two or three days.

Portia

An odd cultural bit.

As they lay there, she said she was taking the children up there, and did not ask if he wanted to come? Perhaps it is simply the submissiveness that was beat into me in my youth? Not implying she was wrong, not submissive, or culturally incorrect.

Gwen

Cramp!!!

Rhona McCloud's picture

Felt sympathy pains with Cathy reading this. More salt in her diet may help or getting Simon to pull her second toe (next to the biggest).

Rhona McCloud

never

Maddy Bell's picture

Had bruising after a cramp incident - and i've had a few! I find the best solution really is to think relaxing thoughts although the instinct is to straighten and put some weight on it. Once spent half an hour writhing around a German campsite with cramp in both legs - stupid Maddy!

A higher potassium intake does help - I never had cramps until they started all this low/no salt stuff with food. But just as important is keeping properly hydrated. It's the reason cramps often occur after exercise (including bed Olympics) so drink plenty!

Hope that there's nothing underlying there as my earliest symptoms of the clot were actually pains in the calf!

Looking forward to a return to Scotland.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Re: never

The bruising may be due to her having fallen into the wardrobe. Perhaps she hit the wardrobe with her leg as she fell into it?

Leg cramps -

are a bummer. I invariably get them from lying too long in bed with my knees up and working on my lap-top. My solution is simply to get up, straighten both legs and feet then walk the cramp off. Usually about a minute or so. Bloody painful though.

Still lovin' it

bev_1.jpg

P for relief

Leg cramps are bad. However, there is a fine line over whether salt makes a difference. A report this week showed that higher levels of salt intake means you have to get up and pee more often at night. lower salt means fewer trips to the loo at night. So, you get up to relieve the cramp or get up and go to the loo. Ah Well, that's life.

Thanks Angharad for keeping your saga going. I love the writing as well ( tee hee)

Love to all

Anne G.

Waiting for next and next and next..

Never thought that I finally come to enjoy this story very very much. English is not my mother tounge but reading stories in BC has made some change in me positively. The best part is reading "Bike" has been one of the most educative thing for me. I learn bit here and there about ecology and the cute dormouse. And alot of reference thanks to Google search engine, I think I have to thank you Angharad for making this wonderful world of Cathy. Cathy teach and motivate me while sharing her amazing and interesting life journey. I wish I can read this like forever but Cathy would have say I am silly to have such idea like 'forever'. But no matter what I still love Cathy.

Thanks again Ang. Cheers.