Atalanta's Story Continued: Reaching Home Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Guys it has been a while since I've posted anything so hopefully everything goes smoothly. Once again I want to think those that encouraged me by pm asking about Atalanta. I also want to than Ashleigh for agreeing to edit and help me with it. Today is my birthday so at least I'll remember when I started posting this story.LOL!

To recap a bit; Atalanta is cataloguing the wildlife on the Medawihla reservation for Fish and Game to keep their secret,secret. Mrs. Carson is glad Atalanta is off campus from Friday to Monday. Atalanta is glad to make some extra cash and avoiding trouble. Of course if they only knew... but that would be giving the game away.

Hopefully you'll enjoy this story.

Katie

red-hair-woman-1600x1200.jpg

Chapter 1

Part One: Winter Solstice

The sun glistened from snow piled high on bare branches, evergreens bowed from their weight and from tufts of brown vegetation that peeked from lees and rock outcroppings. Keeping to the timber line two large canines with dark facial features trotted silently. Fanned out behind them four more of the huge animals raised their muzzles testing the air. Their shiny coats glistened as they moved quickly across the forest floor.

On the other side of the ridgeline two Elk emerged from hiding traveling towards a narrow protected valley that offered some vegetation, and on a direct tangent with the wolf pack.

Farther north, struggling to cling to the rocky face of a mountain two anthropoids figures were moving in an intersecting arc with prey and predator; they could become either.

To the south, smoke rose lazily into the crisp morning air as figures stirred moving briskly about to keep warm.

I lowered the camera having taken all the pictures I needed to document the wolf pack and the successful introduction of Eastern Elk. My lips tightened as I watched activity at the camp and then to the painfully slow descent from the duo.

Squinting, I considered the implications and my job. The Medawihla tribe had hired me to document and tag the wildlife for Fish and Game. They didn’t want it known to the government that they were a tribe of Weres.

Mrs. Carson was happy to lend me to the Reservation for three days a week. She wasn’t comfortable that I could resist the temptation to put some of the arrogant mutants down for the count. The days spent in the Reservation’s employ were counted as credits toward the school’s survival course. In lieu of self defense and martial art classes she allowed Manny to continue to personally train me. His emphasis now was on developing my emerging senses.

I chuckled at the report Manny turned in each Friday on my progress. By tacit agreement it was a boring report.

My classes consisted of those that met Tuesday through Thursday and those that I could study while away from class. I had one such textbook with me now. I moved quickly from the perch that I occupied with the wind whipping the leather duster about my legs, despite being tied at the waist. The wide brimmed hat shielded my eyes from sun’s glare that reflected off the icy surfaces.

“Easy girl,” I whispered to Gray lifting the flaps of the saddlebags and placing the camera inside. Implicit in my contract with Medawihla Indians was to keep out people who didn’t belong. The posse camped below qualified.

Holding the filly’s reins tight I led the animals from our vantage point to pick our way around icy boulders, across windswept mesas and finally to the tree line and relatively flat surface beneath the trees. Great clouds of vapor expelled shooting tufts of smoke like tendrils drifting skyward.

“Cold isn’t it girl,” I whispered to Gray.

Ahead were pockets of earth swept clean but there were also drifts deep enough to swallow a horse in one bite. I swung onto the horse’s back gently tapping her flanks, “Let’s go.”

I smelled the campfire before I heard the camp sounds. My horses’ ears twitched at anticipating equine company and shelter. “Sorry not today.”

We emerged perpendicular to the camp which was partially in the trees. Up close the group was larger than I saw from up on the ridge; at least a dozen men. And half that number of snowmobiles which was pretty useless in long stretches of terrain. A makeshift corral held a dozen horses and pack animals. Three military tents were erected on the frozen ground; one clearly designed to house 8-10 men, another that was smaller, and the third with smoke coming from the side indicated a supply and mess tent.

The steel from my horses’ hooves rang loudly in the brittle air and a half dozen pairs of eyes locked on to me. I studied them as well as I let my animals pick their way across. I eyed the evergreen boughs movement above the cook shack.

Not military. At least, not competent military or outdoorsmen.

The flap opened on the smaller tent and a man in his late 30’s emerged shrugging into a fur lined coat, his sleek pants tucked into Wellington boots. The glint of steel reflected briefly as he tightened his coat. Behind him another taller man appeared dressed similarly. He looked to be ten years younger and showing a full set of pearly whites.

My lips pulled tight into a feral smile as my pulse quickened the closer I got. Gray stopped inside the circle formed by the tents and corral.

“Who are you,” the older man demanded, “and what are you doing here?”

Hooking a leg across my saddle I let the silence build before answering; “government business.”

I watched a vein twitch in his throat. Amused I waited.

“We’re FBI and we’re on a manhunt for two escaped fugitives. I could charge you with obstruction. What kind of government business; you’re just a girl.”

I straightened up in the saddle, “You said manhunt and as you can plainly see I’m not a man so it is obvious that you’re not looking for me. As for obstruction I came here to warn you that you are getting close to a restricted area. Top secret stuff,” I finished leaning forward and lowering my voice.

“Yeah,” the younger man sneered, “What kind of top secret stuff.” His superior shot him a quick look.

“Duh what is it about Top-Secret you don’t understand,” I drawled.

The man-in-charge waved aside our conversation, “You have any proof; papers, ID?”

I grinned back at his scowling face, “A three letter agency is conducting tests on the Reservation.” Fish and Wildlife Services! “And they don’t like being interrupted,” I continued.

“I still haven’t seen any proof.”

Sighing I reached inside my coat and produced a federal Wildlife badge handing it over.

“A fucking game warden,” He guffawed.

“Are you that dense,” I returned mildly. “Yeah I guess you are,” I continued seeing as his face contorted. “Here,” I tossed him the satellite phone Mr. O’Reily had given me, “The head of DARPA is on speed dial.”

He caught the phone and turned on his back to use it while I swung off the back of Gray studying the other men in camp. There was a sudden shuffling of feet and the urgent need to secure gear by several of the men. Two pairs of eyes twinkled at me from brown leathery skin.

“Where can I get my horse fed and watered?”

One of the two men stepped forward, “I’ll look to it ma’am.”

“Atalanta,” I offered, “My name’s Atalanta.”

Holding Gray’s reins in one hand he pushed back his hat, “Atalanta…like the Greek goddess of the hunt.”

“I’m surprised…”

“Abe,” he supplied.

“I’m surprised Abe not many people know of her.”

The man-in-charge called out as he turned around, “Are you Atalanta?”

Duh!

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“He wants to talk to you,” he replied thrusting the phone to me with an outstretched arm.

Smiling I took the phone, “Hello Boss,” I greeted Nick loudly.

“Atalanta what the hell have you gotten yourself in the middle of now?”

“You know me Boss; toeing the company line,” I replied drawing out the words.

“Yeah I do know you,” the head of DARPA returned dryly, “I know you too well. You’ve made your point. Cut out the BS and tell me what is going on. Everything,” He warned.

“You know about my job at the Reservation,” I replied my tone crisp, “and why.”

“Yeah I know the Medawihla have their secrets. Go on,” he urged.

“The posse was about to stray onto their lands—“

“—they’re federal agents with federal warrants that allow them to go anywhere.”

“I know but I know where the fugitives are at and I can deliver them all without this lot setting foot on Indian land.”

I heard him sigh and I had a good idea of what he was thinking. Whateley Academy served a very important function to the government and the school leased their campus grounds from the Indians. That made the Medawihlaeans important too and keeping their secret; secret. And too, Nick’s daughter attended Whateley.

“Are you sure; are you absolutely sure?,” he repeated. “They’re armed and dangerous.”

Armed and desperate is more like it.

“I’m sure and I’m sure that they’ll be as docile as baby lambs.”

“Hand the phone back.” I did and after a brief conversation the man-in-charge handed it back with, “He wants to talk with you.” I took the phone and he turned and walked into his tent.

“Atalanta I’m sticking my neck out for you but, damnitalltohell, couldn’t you have just avoided this…somehow?.”

I knew he was just venting because he knew, like Manny knew, that I didn’t seek out confrontation; confrontation sought me out.

“Mr. O’Reily I was out here doing my job, then the feds shows up looking for the fugitives. The three of us was sure to meet up at some point. I figured it was better to choose the time and the place.”

“It was. Now I need you to listen to me very carefully and do what I say. The agent in charge is going to swear you in and give you a temporary field commission as a deputy US Marshal. Then you’re to call both the council and Mrs. Carson and fill them in. And lastly you’re going to keep me informed. Got it,” he demanded crisply.

“Yes sir!”

“And…. be careful.”

The agent-in-charge returned from inside his tent handing me a document and a badge, “Raise your right hand and repeat after me.” I did and just like that I was now a member of two government agencies; three if I counted the military and the MMID classification. I’d have a hard time disappearing if things went south I thought sourly.

Okay this was a short chapter hopefully to whet your appetite. I'll try and post the next one in a few days. I'll appreciate any comments and all kudos and will respond later. Today has been a long day and I'm read for a nap. Again I'm sorry

up
304 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Really happy to see this

Really happy to see this wonderful character gracing our screens again. Missed her a lot.
Happy Birthday to you and thank you for sharing your story on such a very special day for you.

I'm glad that

you like the story and hopefully she can keep earning that interest.

happy birthday

and thanks for returning to this.

Thanks for the

wishes and I've glad you like her.

deputized !

cool!

DogSig.png

deptuized

what could go wrong?

Atalanta's back

She's back and already trying to get in trouble. You can post the next chapter now

Yeah it

seems like she can't help it.

Atalanta

I really like the low key approach she takes, and I like your writing skills. Very nice to see this.

Gwen

I'm glad that

you are enjoying the story. I'm glad you took notice that the fugitives and the posse was on a collision course. Throw in the pack of wolves and it held the potential to create a major fubar event.

glad

glad, to see you're back. great story, keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Thanks

I'm really glad you like it. I also want to thank Ashleigh for her editing skills.

It's Great

Too see you writing more into this story!

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I appreciate it

and am glad you like it.

If the good Lord

sees fit to give me decent health and long life and the Sun doesn't fry us with a solar EMP event that burns out the electronics I have three or four more books after this one.

I did write several thousand words on how an EMP event interacting with our atmosphere could reawaken magic and myths while throwing the Earth into chaos.I forget exactly how but the Earth's magnetic field and Sun's are polar opposites. I theorized if they were both of the same orientation it would strengthen the Earth's magnetic shield. Human's too have a magnetic field; what changes would we experience individually?

Katie

Yip!!!

Thanks for posting a new chapter and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it was a good one, we're supposed to give YOU a prezzie not you give us one, but thank you so much!!!

It's so good to see her again, she's always been one of those fun stories to follow can't wait to see what amusing thing she's going to do now that's she's sworn, a lot. lol =]

Thank you again!!
Sara

What could go wrong

What could go wrong? Really? With all the problem children Mr. Reilly has to keep track of it makes me wonder how soon he'll be bald! He is surely grey-haired already.

Atalanta reminds me of a tee-shirt I saw yesterday. "With ovaries this big I don't need no fuckin' balls!" May not be the exact wording but it does fit her rather well!

I actually thought at first that the two she saw might be after her. Or maybe another group of weres. That marshal is being unusually cooperative. I'd expect him to tie her up and handcuff her to a tree. Not that those actions would slow her down for long.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

This tale has been on my 'to

shadowsblade's picture

This tale has been on my 'to read list'

But I have not gotten around to it yet, that has to change and move it up now!

I have to wonder what Atalanta would think of my Drow fan fic twins that hang around the Grove for the most part?

Good read!

Proud member of the Whateley Academy Drow clan/collective

marshals

mountaindrake's picture

Marshals tend to respect native lands and jurisdiction some tribes require a particular marshal be in charge,

Have a good day and enjoy life.

You mean she's not...

You mean she's not been already deputized as a tribal police officer?

Good to see Atalanta back.

Welcome back!

Patrick Malloy's picture

*In the voice of Frosty the Snowman* Happy Birthday!!!

I am so glad Atalanta's back to adventuring, even if she's not trying to.

Patrick Malloy

glad to see one of my

glad to see one of my favorite characters back, you do an excellent job of bringing her to life. l still think it would be cool to have her and whisper in an adventure together.

I really

really like Whisper; move over Batman and Robin for the real dynamic duo! Yea! It could be fun.

Ta!!

Yep - Happy Birthday to ya!! And thanks for continuing - I really enjoy this series!!
Hugs,
Miriam

Trouble Magnet

Atalanta is a trouble magnet, she should hang out with Team Kimba!

I have enjoyed Atalanta from the first, so thank you for continuing her story.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Thank you so much.

This is one of the story I really miss. Thank you and hope you can continue writing it. Kudos.

Zzzzzz snort..??mmmnph uh

Oh go on.. Nap away.. Glad to see Atalanta continuing.

alissa