Mercy Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version

Mercy Chapter 18

As I keep having to say, sorry this is so short. It was just too good a spot to put a cliffhanger

Sunday afternoon, the girls began leaving the slumber party tent, heading back to Poe with giggles and hugs being shared by all. Faith stayed behind with Jane, and she learned why Jane had been so freaked out about hurting her. Apparently, Jane’s mutation had been triggered by a mastermind trying to create super soldier followers, and Jane had been one of the lucky ones - many of his subjects had ended up as mindless brutes who had to be put down when the government caught up to the mastermind. Jane had been allowed to go to Whately, but she had often wondered if she might yet turn into a monster, so Brand’s manipulation of her had cut her confidence in her ability to control herself.

“Well, obviously the school has confidence in you, or you’d be wearing a UV band.” Faith pointed out.

The two girls hugged, and Jane left to go back to Poe.

Once everybody was gone, and the tent had been returned to its pocket dimension, Talia took the cube containing the tent back to the divisor lab with a note of thanks from all the girls who had taken part in the weekend.

Then Talia asked Faith if she minded being scarce for a bit so she could get some cuddle time with her girlfriend, and Faith agreed.

Faith decided to walk around a bit before heading for some flying exercises.

Walking around Poe, she found herself in a new area, and then she heard voices from a room just ahead.

She opened the door, and saw two young girls sitting on beds opposite from each other. One was blonde, and wearing what looked like a princess dress, and she was using a screwdriver on what looked like a mechanical ladybug only in pink. The other girl was a brunette, and was lecturing the blonde non-stop.

“Dottie, you got to stop with those hugglebugs! They’re dangerous! Dont remember at our birthday party when one attacked one of the guests for wearing pants?”

“It was supposed to girlify the yard, not the people. But I think I’ve fixed that. Besides, he had great legs for a boy.”

Faith stood in the doorway for a while, unnoticed by the two girls. She could feel the sisterly love the two shared, despite their argument, and just being near it lifted her spirits. Still unnoticed, she crept away leaving the two girls to their ongoing discussion, and made her way to the flying building.

As she hoped, Vantier was there, and the two of them flew together, mostly in silence.

Finally, they stopped to rest, and Faith talked about the bond she had felt between the two girl, saying, “I dont want to put down my friendships. I’ve been really lucky. But the love those two share? Wow.”

Vantier smiled, and said, “It’s a rare thing to bond with a person on that kind of level. But I wouldn’t at all be surprised if it happens to you.”

“M...me? Why would you think it would happen to me?”

“You are an ... amazing girl, Faith. You draw people to you with your kindness and gentle nature. So yes, I can see you having as many brothers and sisters as you can handle.”

Faith blushed, and decided to head back to Poe. But before she could get there, Arwen came running up to her, and said, “Faith! I think we’ve found a way to flush Brand out!”

To be continued ...

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dorothy

Even your cliffhangers are pretty gentle in comparison to others that find dead bodies and such. Not complaining, just noting how kind and sweet much of your writing is. Probably it's a reflection of a kind and gentle soul. Thanks for keeping this going. It's well worth the wait for the next episode.

you have me blushing, Wendy

I try to be kind and gentle, especially with this story.

Thanks for commenting!

DogSig.png

That's not a cliffhanger,

That's not a cliffhanger, that's your mind giving you a reason to come back to the story! You can do so much but it just wanted you to relax and recharge your creative spirit and optimism after a rough recent setback.

And shame on you for making us smile at the sweet, touching moment and for putting yourself into the story :D

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

believe it or not

when I wrote that cliffhanger, I had NO clue what was gonna happen next!

but I'm glad you liked the little cameo by Jaci and Dottie.

DogSig.png

I've read enough on the site

I've read enough on the site to immediately get the inclusion there. It gave me a smile :)

Keep it going Dorothy. ;)

Perhaps a charm might be able to keep Brand or anyone else out from Jane's mind.

Finally, respite

Jamie Lee's picture

Faith finally has some "no crisis" time, allowing her to relax and look around.

Flying with Vantier seems to be more than two friends enjoying their time together. While Faith might not be getting the message, Vantier is issuing them at each of their times together. Vantier is falling for Faith, and is uncertain how Faith will react should Vantier share her feelings with Faith.

Others have feelings too.

Dot and Jaci in Poe Cottage! Oh, my!

Would that make this the start of the hugglebug infestation of Poe and then Whately?

Everyone might want to be careful around these two, Dot has obvious devisor/gadgeteer capabilities, who knows what might happen? LOL