Emma's Story: School Days: Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
Emma’s Story: School Days: Chapter 3
Samantha Jenkins

Zoo Trip and a prelude to a surprise...

“Emma,” I heard mom’s voice come through the door. “It's time to get up, Daniel wants us over at their place by 9:30. I think he wants a full day at the zoo. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes.” The mention of comfortable shoes made me sit up and grab my phone. I fired a text off to Abby. I told her I was changing up what I was wearing and was planning on now wearing my khaki shortalls and a lilac colored shirt. I figured that would be more comfortable than my legs rubbing together under my dress… I could hear Mom telling Rachel to get up as well, and from the sounds of it, Rachel didn’t want to get up. I quickly changed from the shorts and tank top that I had slept in into my clothes for the day. Slipping my feet into my white canvas sneakers, I opened the door and went down to see what mom had in mind for breakfast.

I walked into the kitchen and opened the pantry looking for something to eat for breakfast. I didn’t hear Mom come into the kitchen. “Daniel sent me a text, he wants to take us out to breakfast…” She said, reaching up to run my hair through her fingers. “Should do something with your hair…” She let the thought trail off and left the kitchen. I shrugged and closed to door; Mom reappeared with a brush and some lilac colored ribbon. She laid it on the shirt to check the color. “Sit on one of the stools…” I sat, my back to her so that she could brush my hair. She brushed and I relaxed not paying attention to what she was doing. When she was done I sported a pair of pigtails, very much like the first time that mom had done my hair. I looked the part of the older sister. Speaking of sisters, mine came down the stairs, sounding like her usual herd of elephants. She appeared at the at the entrance to the kitchen.

“Pigtails?” Rachel asked. “Too girly for me…” Her own hair was in a single pony tail hanging down her back. She wore a pair of shorts and a tank top. The girliest thing she had on was the blue canvas sneakers with white laces.

“I like pigtails,” I replied. “I can’t help it that you don’t like girlish things…”

#

Mom backed her car into the driveway at the home that Daniel, Abby and Nicole lived in. Abby met us at the door, she had opted for shorts and a tee shirt. Our shirts were a similar color and Abby’s hair was braided down her back.

“Come in!” She said, obviously ready to get this show on the road and get to the zoo. We walked into the house and stopped in the kitchen.

“Sharon, I was thinking we could take the Tahoe,” he said. “It would save you from paying to park and us wasting gas on running two vehicles…”

“Ok with me,” Mom said, shrugging. “I get shotgun!” she said, failing to suppress a giggle. Daniel gave a good hearty laugh.

“Nope,” he replied. “Abby rides shotgun and you can ride in the back with Nicole.” Abby and I shared a glance.

“What are you two talking about?” Abby asked, confused.

“When I was in college,” Mom started. “When you went on a road trip, the person that called shotgun rode in the passenger seat. They got to pick the music, but they also had to be able to navigate.”

“Ok…” Abby and I said at roughly the same time. We obviously didn’t understand the significance of the calling shotgun. Nicole came down the steps wearing a pair of denim shortalls and a baby pink tee shirt; her hair hung in a loose ponytail.

“Let's go…” Daniel said, rubbing his stomach. “I'm wasting away over here.”

#

Daniel parked the Tahoe and we all piled out. The sun was warm and it was already obvious that it was going to be a warm day. The six of us walked toward the gates that would permit us entry to the treasures of the zoo. I didn’t know what Abby’s thoughts were, but I wanted to see the aquarium. After we were inside the gates, Daniel and mom walked toward the large lake that was at the center of the zoo. Naturally, we followed them.

“Abby,” Daniel said, turning slightly to look at Abby. “You and Emma have your phones, right?”

“Yep,” we replied simultaneously while patting pockets. My phone was in the front left pocket of my shortalls, and Abby's was in her right rear pocket.

“Ok,” he said glancing around. “Take your sisters and go wander around. Abby, I gave you some cash in case you needed some. Let's meet back here at noon so we can get lunch.”

“Ok,” Abby said, pulling her phone out and setting an alarm. “We'll meet back here at noon.”

“You four run along and have fun,” Mom said. I had the feeling that there was going to be discussions about Abby and I. Abby and I shared a glance. I think she was thinking the same thing I was: our parents were trying to get rid of us for a bit.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Talk about the girls?

Jamie Lee's picture

Emma thinks Daniel and Sharon will talk about her and Abby. But it may also be the time Daniel wants to "pop" the question privately.

Chances are when they meet for lunch someone will be sporting new jewelry.

Others have feelings too.

Great to see it back!

ls49's picture

Great chapter, it's really great to see this coming back, and I'm hopeful the story will start up again. I know from a creative standpoint, sometimes it's a bit like pulling leaves out of the wind, but it's always good to see attention back to an incomplete story. Very well written, excellent material, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next! Thanks for sharing this with us.