Healing Cousin George - Part 19 - The Summer Ball

Printer-friendly version

          “Oh, but I am going! Didn’t George tell you?” I could see the smile alter instantly as she glared at me from across the table.
          Sensing that I had inflicted a wound, I drove the knife a bit deeper. “Eh who is it? A Mr. Spiers? I think his wife’s in hospital. Anyway, Gavin play’s golf with him so he asked him for his spare ticket and he said it was ok.”
          I could see the look on Amanda’s face go from something between surprise and anger as she looked down into her cup.

Healing Cousin George

Part 19 - The Summer Ball

by Karin Roberts


 
Gavin was true to his word and, by the following weekend, my ticket for the Summer Ball had been secured.

“You will need to sit with us and Archie at the meal. The tables are numbered and named. Is that ok?” Debbie asked.

“Yeah, that’s not a problem. Can’t say I would have been all that keen sitting with George and Amanda” I replied.

“How are things on that front? Any change since our day out last week?”

“Well, he’s been really nice to me this week - even insisted on making dinner the other night.” I grinned.

“Keep it up and maybe we will avert the disaster of Amanda getting her feet under the table for good.”

“So I guess the Ball means another shopping trip?” I grinned.

“Eh no. You’ve a lot to learn yet Alex. Remember, this is the event of the year around here. You need a classy dress, one that’s just right for the night. Well, you do if you’re young enough to wear it and we are.”

“So what then?” I was a little confused.

“Well, it’s the kind of outfit you would not wear again, so you rent it. I mean I’ve been to about eight of these now and it’s stupid having eight different dresses that you’ll never wear again lying in a wardrobe.”

“I suppose so… Where do we rent them?”

“Look, don’t you worry about that. I know your size and I know just the place on the net to rent something for the both of us. You just continue to do what you’re doing at home and I’ll take care of the clothes. Besides, it will be a surprise. And, you will be coming with us and not keeping George and Amanda company on the drive over.”

“Yeah I suppose so.” I sighed.

“What are you going to do about Melissa?” Debbie remembered.

“Eh? I suppose I will need to call Mum and see if she can take her for the night.”

“How do you think that will go down if you tell her you’re going to a ball?”

“Eh I’m not sure. Maybe I won’t tell her… I’ll call her later today.” I sounded a little dejected.

“Well, if you are really struggling, I can probably rustle up a babysitter from in town.” she offered.

“Thanks. We’ll see.”

“Look, I better go. I’ll see you tomorrow for a work out and a bit of lunch, ok?” Debbie jabbed at me.

“Yeah fine. See you then.” With that, Debbie hung up the phone.

The Ball was only two weeks away and I was getting excited and worried at the same time already.

…………..

The next morning, I called Mum.

“Mum it’s me, Alex. I need to ask you a favour”

“Which is…?” she inquired.

“I need to go to an interview with the Education Board just to sort out some details over the date for me taking up post. Could you maybe have Melissa for the weekend,” I lied.

“When?”

“Eh the weekend after next. I need to get changed and fixed up Friday. The interview’s on Monday, so you would need to bring her back Tuesday.” I sorted on the fly.

“What about George? Can’t he manage?”

“Eh no, it’s the Farmers Union Summer Ball that weekend, George is doing a lot of the organising so he will be rushed off his feet. Please Mum?” I begged.

“Ok. Dad and Ashley will be pleased to see her anyway. I’ll need to pick her up Thursday night though because I have a doctor’s appointment Friday.”

“Thank you so much Mum! You know I love you!” Even better than I thought! I thought to myself. That gives me and Debbie even more time to prepare for the ball.

“We’ll see, Alex.” She laughed.

“Thanks, and see you later Mum.” I made a kissing sound and hung the phone up.

The next few days flew past by and the weekend arrived. Things were all pretty much set for the Ball. George had been working most of the week on the final details with caterers: the company provided the bar and the band that had been hired to provide entertainment for that night.

The Saturday night before, me and George were sitting, chatting over a coffee after dinner when the door opened and Amanda slinked in, dressed in a smart skirt and blouse with immaculate makeup.

“You’re not ready yet?” she snided incredulously as she approached us.

George looked up a bit bemused.

“You forgot didn’t you? We are going for a drink with my boss and his wife?” she said, sounding a bit exasperated by it all.

“Oh babe! It just slipped my mind” George panicked as he got up and kissed her on the lips. “I’ll be five minutes! I’ll grab a wash and change!” he hurried up the stairs.

Amanda looked directly at me. I think she liked the thought of treating me like the hired help. It gave her some kind of power kick. Obediently, I got up to make her a cup of coffee. I took out a mug and dropped some coffee granules in it just as the water came to a boil.

“Milk or sugar?” I chimed as I poured the hot water in.

“Nothing. Just black. I need to keep my figure in check for the big night next week.” She mean-spiritedly jabbed at me as I carried her cup back towards her.

“You should see the dress I have for next week - it’s stunning. I mean, I so need to make a good impression if I’m on the arm of the organiser,” she went on.

“Yeah I suppose” I disinterestedly answered as I set the cup down in front of her.

She took a sip. “You know, it’s such a pity you can’t go. I mean you’ve been here for months now and to miss the event of the year in these parts would be such a shame” she smiled a bit wicked at me. “But then again, it’s more suited to couples. So I guess you would feel out of place.”

“Oh, but I am going! Didn’t George tell you?” I could see the smile alter instantly as she glared at me from across the table.

Sensing that I had inflicted a wound, I drove the knife a bit deeper. “Eh who is it? A Mr. Spiers? I think his wife’s in hospital. Anyway, Gavin play’s golf with him so he asked him for his spare ticket and he said it was ok.”

I could see the look on Amanda’s face go from something between surprise and anger as she looked down into her cup.

“It’s ok though. I’m going with Debbie and Gavin so I won’t be cramping your style. You will still have George all to yourself.” I reassured her as I could hear George begin to come down the stairs.

“Eh right.” She got up as George rushed back into the kitchen.

“You ready to go babe?” George looked Amanda over and leaned in to kiss her.

“Yes I am.” she lovingly answered as she wrapped her arms around his waist and accepted George’s kiss. A pang of jealously shot down my spine.

“Ok let’s go. I’ll drive, you can have a drink. Maybe stay over?” he said putting his arm round her shoulders.

“Maybe…” she vexingly left open as they got to the door.

“See you later Alex!” George called back as they exited.

“Yeah… see you later.” I replied as I got up and carried the dishes to the sink.

Peering out of the kitchen window, I could see them walking towards the car. George’s arm had gone from Amanda’s shoulder as she gestured back towards the house in what seemed like an almost frantic manner, chattering away in his ear as they reached the car.

A smile crept across my lips as they drove off.


 
To Be Continued...

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I just hate Amanda

The woman is enough to make me want to buy a little doll and a card full of Voodoo pins.

Gwen, Me Too

joannebarbarella's picture

You got it in one. What a bitch,
Joanne

Healing Cousin George

Very funny girls, only two more parts to go.

Hugs, Karin R

Alex just missed a wonderfull opportunity!

That cup of coffee would have looked good in Amanda's lap!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita