A Mother's Love - Vol. 1.06

Printer-friendly version
breastfeeding.jpg
          

".... How is everything else?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked

"You know, the clothes and stuff,"
she said referring to the female outfit she had persuaded me to wear.

"It's totally weird, I hope I don't get found out"
I responded


 

A Mother's Love - Part 6

by Alys

Part 6


 

The green sign on the side of the road came into view

NEXT SERVICES
10 MILES
CORLEY SERVICES
WELCOME BREAK

I turned up the air conditioning so that a stronger blast of cool air hit my face. The monotony of motorway driving coupled with weeks of broken sleep was making me feel a little bit drowsy. My phone rang. I touched the ear piece, of my hands free phone kit, to receive the call.

"Hello"

"Hi Steve, it's Jules, where are you?"

"Just got onto the M6, done about......just over a hundred miles so far, about half way there." I responded.

"Heard anything from Mary?" Jules asked.

"No, there's no response from my text messages or phone messages" I replied.

"Oh, OK, well I hope she is OK. How is everything else?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked

"You know, the clothes and stuff,"
she said referring to the female outfit she had persuaded me to wear.

"It's totally weird, I hope I don't get found out"
I responded.

"You'll be fine, it worked great in the pub yesterday," Jules reassured.

"Yes but you were there with me so I didn't have to say much, sorry Jules got to go now I've just turned off for the services to feed Bekka"

"OK, good luck, bye"

"Bye" I responded and then pressed the ear piece to disconnect

I pulled into the service station car park. It was busy, which was not surprising since the weather was clear and warm, unusually warm for early April, the weekend before Easter and plenty of families seemed keen to start their holidays early.

I unstrapped Bekka's car seat, she opened her eyes at the movement, her gaze wandered for a second and then she noticed me. I smiled back at my little one.

"Soon be lunch time sweetie," I whispered to her.

I picked up her seat and her bag and, after locking the car doors, I walked towards the main concourse of the restaurants and other facilities. I was very aware of the unfamiliar swish of my skirt and the breeze rippling my loose blouse, as I made my way towards the hundreds of people in the centre. Every step I took, even while I was trying to look confident, I was expecting to be exposed as the fraud that I felt I was.

I followed a group through the automatic doors and stood looking around to find the facilities that I needed. Standing there it all felt so overwhelming that I wanted so much to escape back to the car and somewhere to hide. Bekka's whimper reminded me that I had no choice but to carry on.

I had been over a minute standing in the concourse, feeling bewildered and unable to decipher the directions to the various parts of the service station when I heard a cough behind me.

I turned in the direction of the sound.

"Excuse me Miss, but are you OK?" asked the elderly service station security guard.

"Um, no," I replied, trying to pitch my voice correctly," I'm looking for the nursing room"

My main reason for stopping at these services were the provision of a special room for breast feeding.

"It's over there," the security guard responded pointing at a small door situated between two shop units.

"Thank you very much," I said to the guard before making my way over to my haven.

I paused for half a second to read the sign on the door.

Nursing Room
WOMEN ONLY!

Another whimper from Bekka removed any last minute hesitation and I opened the door.

I made my way over to one of the two changing mats and quickly changed Bekka's nappies, I then sat down on one of the four comfortable leather armchairs and put her to my breast.

As she suckled hungrily I looked around the room. It was quite a bright room with natural lighting from the skylight, complementing the subdued artificial lights. Apart from the four armchairs and the changing table there was also a TV, which was showing one of the many soap operas I didn't watch on TV. The best thing about the room was that there was no-one there at that moment. I hoped that I could get away without having to meet anyone.

I took my phone out of my bag. There were no messages from Mary. I sent her another.

Am on way to Man, be there 3 hrs

I pressed send and put my phone away.

"I'm sure she'll want to see you, Bekka," I whispered quietly as I stroked the wisps of hair on her head.

My peace was shattered as the door opened and a thirtyish woman with a baby in her arm and a small girl in her hand walked into the room.

"I want to pee pee Mummy," said the girl.

"It's OK Jenny, I'll find you a loo, after I've changed Julian," replied the harassed mother.

At that moment baby Julian decided that he needed more, immediate attention and began a series of ear splitting, mind numbing screams.

"Want to pee pee Mummy," said little Jenny, making her contribution to send her Mum's stress levels past Superwoman limits.

"OK, JENNY, ONE MINUTE," she said firmly while trying to wrestle with baby Julian, who had now added another of his talents to his vocal performance, the complete body wriggle.

"Need to pee pee NOW!"

Jenny's mother looked at her daughter with total exasperation, as she entered the second round of her WWF match with baby Julian.

"Excuse me, there's a toilet on your left that your little girl could use," I said, trying to help restore sanity to the atmosphere.

The Mother turned to me and smiled her gratitude.

"Jenny, the toilet is over there," she said to her desperate daughter.

She finished changing her child and then sat down in the armchair next to mine. Soon peace and tranquility was transformed as baby Julian's attention was taken by filling his belly from his Mum's breast.

"Your baby is lovely dear is it a boy or a girl?" asked my companion in the room after a few minutes.

"It's a girl" I responded as briefly as possible, hoping that there would be no more conversation.

Jenny returned from the loo and wanted some refreshments from her Mum who quickly palmed her off with a banana and some apple juice and directed her towards the play area in the corner of the room. LittleJenny busied herself with the dolls house.

"I'm Vivian, everyone calls me Viv though," stated my companion after a few more minutes.

"I'm Stev.............Stevie," I responded, correcting myself just in time.

"Stevie?" Vivian inquired," that's an unusual name"

"Yes it's short for.......Stephanie," I responded after desperately trying to think of something appropriate.

"Is it your first?" Vivian asked.

"Yes, what about you?" I asked," do you have more than two?"

"Oh no," Vivian replied, laughing, "as you can see these two are more than enough"

"Are you planning to have any more?" she asked. I was beginning to feel that I was being cross examined.

"Don't really know, I guess it depends" I responded while thinking that if Mary and myself did possibly have more children I would have to carry on breast feeding for years maybe.

Vivian seemed to home in on my uncertainty.

"Is your husband, or boyfriend with you today?" she probed.

"Umm, no" I responded after a pause.

"Oh, I'm sorry to be nosey"

"It's OK, that's why I'm going North, we had a bit of a break up" I responded, hoping that Bekka would have had enough nourishment soon.

As in answer to my thoughts Bekka released my nipple, full for the moment. I quickly rearranged my clothes and grabbed my stuff.

"Bye dear, " said Vivian, " good luck"

"Thanks," I responded, " bye"

Outside the room I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I made slower progress than I had hoped, for the rest of the journey North and it was almost an hour later than I had planned when I turned off the M60 onto the A34 towards Didsbury in Manchester. I had planned to stop at the nearby Travelodge, where I had booked a room, to change clothes. However with only a few minutes before the time I had said I would arrive and needing soon to feed Bekka I made straight for my Mother-in-law's house.

I pulled up in a space a little way away from their three bed-roomed semi and made my way towards what I hoped was not going to be embarrassment.

I knocked the door and waited in trepidation.

Andrea James, Mary's mother, was a well dressed, plumpish woman in her late fifties. She stood in the door, looking at me without showing any signs of recognition.

"Hello, can I help you?" she asked in a condescending tone clearly mistaking me for someone who wanted something off her.

"Hi Andrea, is Mary here?" I asked.

"Why do you want, who are you? Steve? Is it you?"

"Yes, and your grandchild. Can I come in, she'll need a feed soon."

"Of course, but what's with looking like a woman?"

I sat down in her kitchen while she made me a cup of coffee. I gave her a brief resume of the day's events. She laughed at my description of the nursing room

"You have had an adventure today, yes I can see why you are dressed as you are. But why didn't you phone me to say you were coming?"

"I phoned Mary and sent her text messages, but she didn't reply," I replied.

"Oh I see"

"Is she here? Can I see her?" I asked.

"Here?" said Andrea looking at me in some surprise.

"She is staying here isn't she?"

Tears started welling up in Mary's mother's eyes.

"You don't know, do you?" she asked quietly.

"Know what?" I replied feeling a strong sense of foreboding.

"She's in hospital, her HIV has become resistant to her drug regime, she's got full blown AIDS!" Andrea stated.


To Be Continued...

 
End of Part Six

up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What A Cliffhanger

Alys, I applaud your story telling here. Now I want to see what happens next.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oww, that's quite shattering

Steve's got to be devastated by this. Wow! Now what's he going to do? And will his breasts keep producing milk after such psychological trauma? Of course he has to, for little Bekka, but want is not wont.

A very nice twist on the usual stories here, Alys. Again! :)

Thanks,

Jo-Anne

Funny and sad!

Again superb writing. First some funny and slightly embarrassing scenes "at the service station" and then a very sad ending.

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Nice episode.

Who wants to bet that Mary KNEW her HIV was resistant when the "breakup" started?

Nice feeding room session. Andrea sounds like a good "grandmother"...

Thanks

Tearjerker

joannebarbarella's picture

OK, so Mary wasn't as bad as she seemed. Maybe she was trying to slip away without too much pain inflicted. Poor Steve is going to have to cope. Next episode please,
Joanne

Adding My Own

...tears to what everyone else has said.

That is quite the shocking/shattering development! Poor Mary! Poor Steve! Poor Andrea! And, will Becca ever get a chance to meet her mother?

And protected her loved ones

Disassociating herself would be a pretty positive manner of making sure she didn't infect her own family with the HIV that she has (the one comprehensive medical test to determine if insect carriers like mosquitoes could transfer Aids was halted and the initial tests sealed and put under the authority of a group that loudly claimed that there was no worries in spite of the fact that there were no tests or that other diseases were carried by insects)(outside FOIA authority)

That said, she is making sure her husband does not know of her sacrifice, nor will her daughter even have pictures of herself with the mother who gave her life.
I suspect that you can recognize that I don't agree with the mother's decision.
This is not to mean that I disagree with the author's decision to write it this way. Stories become interesting because of conflict and the resolution of those conflicts.
This is such a conflict (and it is interesting as well)
I suspect that from how it has gone, it will be interesting no matter which way the story concludes.

OH....

Angharad's picture

...SHIT!

Angharad

Angharad

Ditto Ang.

If she truely is dying, why not record some tapes, DVDs, even a journnal for her daughter to know her by. IE why dad had to be mom for her and why she can't be with her despite loving them both so much. The daughter will want to know eventually. She is not doing her child a favor by hiding who she came from hoping he will remary before the girl forms memories or that her husband will become a full transwoman.

As to the girl(s) at work who talked her into that night out that got her infected, I hope he lets them know what they did to him and her family. They owe her and her family big time for their foolishness. She was ready to be married as I gather reading between the lines. A *one last drunken fling* was at best infidelity and at worst, we seen what worst is. I almost wonder if her despondent and guilty feelings contributed to the drug resistance. Precise timing of the meds is critical. A few missed doses here and there migh be enough to trigger resistance or certainly help it along.

Why didn't her mom call him? Or did she swear her to secrecy? Very sad.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

mother love

och not good being in the hospital is bad e nuf but haveing aids relly not good at all what will happen to the baby will steve go all the way to be a woman to rase and care full time for becka ?verry good story ,take care hugs n love .oldhippie

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

A knife in the heart

Steve's head must be spinning - Mary's must be as well, to say the least. Horrible, horrible situation. I hope they can reconcile before it's too late....

Oh, and very well done!

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

I just caught it

After a couple of re reads while waiting for the next episode, it just dawned on me that he pulled up close to his stepmothers house? Must be mother in law?

Oops,

Thanks for pointing that out,

Next episode tomorrow.

Hugs

Alys