The Squad Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

cheerleader_0.jpg

The Squad: Chapter 5


by
Leila

The next morning, as I enter the school grounds, Lisa rushes over to me. “So? How did it go? Yesterday, I mean…”

“I… we’ll see. Ellie did come over to me during the break.” I say recalling the events from yesterday.

“That’s a good start, Amber and Ellie started together, sort of like me and Cindy. What about the rest of the girls?”

“I’m not really sure. I hope it had some effect. Oh, Coach Reed had me doing tumbling runs with Ellie. She mentioned something about using me during competition.”

“Oh…” her momentary cheerful expression turned sour.

“Is there something wrong?” I ask sensing her change in mood.

“What does Coach Tompkins think of you being in the competition?” Her question is odd to me.

“Wouldn’t Coach Reed be following Coach Tompkins directions? I mean she did ask me to go with Coach Reed and Ellie.”

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s nothing.”

“Oh! Coach Reed got happy when Ellie mentioned that I was working with you. I’m not sure what to make of it.” Lisa sour tone is now matched with a sad expression. Does she miss being part of the squad?

“I… I got to get to class. See you at lunch?”

I look at my watch. We’ve still got 15 mins before classes start.

“Um. Sure, okay, I’ll see you on the field or at the tables?” I ask unsure about why she’s abruptly ending the conversation. She leaves in haste.

I still get stares from people at school. It seems like Ellie and Lisa are the only ones that will speak to me.

On my way to my locker, I see some of the squad. They seem to be talking to Ellie. I’m not sure what it’s about. But she doesn’t look happy. As they leave, Ellie looks up at me her sad expression changes to a smile. She crosses the hall to greet me. “Hi Aaron, any word on Amber?”

“I only get bits and pieces from my folks. They tell me ‘not to worry,' but whenever I see the look on their face, it just makes me even more worried.”

“I know. So far no one has been able to visit Amber. We don’t know why. Did your parents tell you why they moved her?”

“What? They moved her? Where to?”

“She’s no longer at the hospital. That’s all we know right now. I was hoping you would know more. You can talk to me, you know. I know we haven’t known each other for very long, but you don’t have to deal with this all alone. You can talk to me. The coaches too.”

“I don’t know anything more than you do. In fact, this is the first I’ve heard that my sister is not in the hospital. When did you hear this?”

“I tried to visit on Sunday. The nurse just said they no longer have Amber there. I tried to get more information, but they wouldn’t say anything more. That’s why I asked you about her yesterday.”

“I’ll ask my folks when I get home. I’ll let you know when I know more okay?” I’m trying not let my imagination get loose.

“Thanks, Aaron. I know this is hard for you.” She rubs my arm and walks away.

High School is much more intense than I had expected. So many classes and so much work I don’t know how anyone can handle all the classes. Where does everyone find the time? I know I’m struggling. I was an above average student in Junior High, but now I think I’m barely treading water. Students have begun to form study groups. I’m not a part of any of them. I used to be able to figure it out or ask Amber. She was great about answering questions. I think I annoyed her sometimes. I do miss her. I think I was a bit jealous when she went off with her friends. She was my sister and then… she was everyone's friend? Was that why I pulled the prank on her?

Much of the day has been uneventful. Lisa, however, did miss our meeting at lunch. I tried searching the field and the lunch tables, and she was nowhere to be found. I do get a bit worried, I’m not sure why I’m worried, but she’s been my lifeline. I think I would have driven myself nuts over the past couple of weeks if it wasn’t for her, cheerleading and the squad.

I think back to her question. If I left the squad how would I feel? I think now that it might be heartbreaking to leave. I’m starting to wonder about how I can stay active with the squad once Amber returns. Who knows, maybe Coach Tompkins may want us both on the squad. The thought of that well… It brings a smile to my face.

Ellie passes me in the hall between fifth and sixth periods and says to me that the uniforms have come in and that I should take Amber’s home for her. I head to the Girl’s PE office with Ellie and let one of the girls in there know that I’m picking up Amber’s uniform up for her. I’m handed a box that has the flaps folded corner to corner closed, and I sign the receipt. Ellie volunteers to let me put Amber’s uniform in her sister’s car and that she and her sister could give me a ride home after practice today. I thank her and head to class after we place the pair of boxes in the trunk.

I reach my last class of the day, and my teacher, Mr. Vasquez hands me a note that requests me to meet with Dr. Corning, the principal, in her office. I make my way to the school office, and I am told to wait. I sit there nervously then I’m directed to the principal’s office. Her office is tidy. Diplomas are hanging on the wall. Dr. Corning sits behind a large metal desk. Two metal boxes with paperwork in them are the most prominent items there. “In” and “Out” the boxes are labeled. Alongside the desk is a large round metal trash can. Most are plastic nowadays. She has a large folder atop her table, I’m fairly certain it’s my student folder containing my records. The folder should be fairly thin, unlike my Junior High student folder, it's not. I wasn’t a stranger to Principal meetings. Our pranks, Taylor’s and mine, had garnered enough attention, but not enough to suspend or expel us.

I’m standing in the doorway. A silver-haired woman, frail, pale and freckled and slightly wrinkled directs me to one of the two wooden chairs set across from her. “Mr. Stewart, it didn’t take long for you to make an impression on this school, did it?” I want to say something though I’ve learned its best to keep quiet. “Do you want to tell me about it?” Normally, I would ask for my parent’s to be here for this. I’m not sure that bothering them would make it any better. “We’ve already got statements from the Coaches and some of the students. I’d like to hear your side of the story.”

I sigh knowing I would only be digging myself a deeper hole. “I’m sure what you’ve gathered from the students and coaches is fairly accurate. It was a stupid prank that put my sister in the hospital. I’m really sorry I did it. I’m trying to make up for it with my work with the squad.”

“That is another matter I wanted to discuss with you. I was not aware of your… participation in such activities. I want to know your feeling about it. I was told that you were participating in a number of cheerleader practices? I was also told that this may not have been your choice. Is that correct?”

“Yes, ma’am.” I’m starting to wonder how this all got set up.

“Well, I assure you that I am the only one that should determine the appropriate disciplinary actions. I’m sorry that your ‘participation’ was against your wishes. It is not the intention or the spirit of this school to take any action against a student without an investigation. It is not the intention of this school to embarrass or humiliate any student regardless of the offense either. While I have yet to conclude my investigation, I want to assure you that none of the actions I would take would be so… unconventional.”

“Um. That’s okay I…”

“Please let me finish, I’ll let you have an opportunity to respond after I have finished speaking. I want you to know that I have spoken to Coach Tompkins this afternoon regarding her—actions. She did accept responsibility for what she did, and I do see her reasons behind her actions. I still view her actions as inappropriate and unjustified.”

I can feel my heart racing. This is not happening. This is not happening. This is not happening.

“I have instructed her to remove you from the squad effective immediately.”

No, no, no, no, no! My heart just sank in my chest.

“… and informed her that it will be my decision as to what the outcome of this prank of yours would be. I assure you that you will not participate in any of the activities that Coach Tompkins or any of her staff had requested of you…”

I think I’m going to be sick…

up
382 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What's very disturbing here

is that Aaron, despite saying he is sorry (and the author trying to intimate that he is), has not once tried to get over to the hospital to see his sister. Parents be damned, if he was truly sorry, he would have taken a bus or taxi ride over and go see her.

That is if he is truly is sorry.

If not, then his character is in question in my mind. The correct question is: How much does he love his sister?

Sephrena

e8a5ce3c.jpg

He tried

TheCropredyKid's picture

They wouldn't let him in

 
 
 
x

So

Now he can go freely nuts no worries about anything else, nothing to keep silence away, really is she the one who is nuts?

They promised not to expel him if he helped the squad and what's whit the parents, no telling anything what's going on with the sister. I can understand that him pulling prank like that makes him jerkish, on the other hand parents really should have seen the no play makes aaron dull boy. I wonder are they still living in era where playing video games is for idiots or are they religious tambourine beaters who think it's sin?
BTW great chapter

Questions I wish I had answers to

Who is this woman and why does one person have so much power?

What has happened with his sister and why is he not being informed on what is going on with her?

Why has no one discussed with him the grief he must feel, or acted in a parental capacity to find out what his issues were and what he thought about the accident? His parents appear to be responsible, but It seems like he has been left completely on his own after this traumatic event. i'm just scratching my head over the thus far lack of adult guidance of a young immature child that has issues.

I look back at my parents and realize that some honest give and take discussions with me would have been of great benefit as I was growing up. Oh well, I guess history is doomed to repeat.

Wendy K

Re:Questions I Wish I had answers to

I assume you mean Dr. Corning, She's the Principal. Dr. Corning was aware of the accident but not of the arrangements.. Which leads Aaron to wonder 'how this all got set up'.

Aaron does sense from his parents' expression that there is more to her condition than what they are telling him. Whatever it is, it must weigh heavily on their minds. Amber landing 'on her back', injuring her head and Is in an induced coma is pretty serious.

Hope this helps until the next chapter.

Leila

Thanks

I didn't catch Dr. Corning was the Principal. Yes, Amber has a very serious traumatic injury that affects the whole family for sure.

I guess I am emotional about my own issues as far as how Aaron is dictated to rather than listened to. Actually, this is one of the reasons I like this site so much. So many of the stories are written from the heart, they help me learn where my emotional triggers originate from.

Wendy K

I am wondering

sugar_britches63's picture

I am wondering if there is more here than meets the eye with regard to the parents, Amber and moving her. It seems awful to do but could she ,Amber, be just fine but in trying to teach Arron a lesson and perhaps stops his school "pranks" they set things up with the coach to "help" him learn about caring about others by the teamwork of the squad? It just seems odd to me that they move her and not tell him when they do it but even they have or why they have. Me thinks there is a game afoot with the parents and the coach that no one knows about.

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

It appears.....

D. Eden's picture

That without even trying the principal has found the worst punishment - taking Aaron off the squad.

It's obvious that he is upset - not just because he thinks he is losing the chance to be part of something, but because the only two people who are talking to him now are both doing it because of his involvement with cheerleading. Not only is he losing something he has begun looking forward to, but he is losing his only chance at friendship or kindness.

This really surprised me. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

"I think I’m going to be sick…"

oh crap. just when he was starting to make progress, they pull the rug out from under him. And what's up with moving his sister from the hospital without telling him? Something weird is going on ...

DogSig.png

WTF?

?

Hmmm, Amber moved from the

Hmmm, Amber moved from the hospital? Perhaps she has gotten better and is now placed in a rehabilitation facility to fully recover her movement and other body activities until she can be released to go home and/or back to school. That would not be an unusual procedure by any means.
I do agree with others, that it is strange the parents are keeping Aaron "out of the loop" regarding his sister and that he, himself, has not taken the effect to even try and go see her.

that's wrong

I think his parents have been keeping him from seeing her. One of the parents has been with him and one other been with her. They tell him not go see her. If they know his prank has her get to notice him by her, he said that in this chapter. The punishment of him not being able to go see her, that's too cruel of the parents.

OMG Leila,

Very sneaky. Reasoning out the plot setup I can see about 3 or 4 major different directions to go from here. From your other stories I have a hunch which way you will go. I also have a hunch you may surprise me.

On pins and needles now.

Wendy K

Some hospitals

are not set up to deal with certain types of injuries. Amber may have been transferred to one that does.
That said, I do have to agree with the sentiment, that there is more going on here than meets the eye. Like why has it taken the Principal 'this' long to get involved?

How long ago was Amber hurt?

Jamie Lee's picture

Amber was hurt how long ago? The cheer leading coaches imposed his punishment without the Principals' okay? And Aaron is just now being called into the Principals' office?

First, the Principal should have been notified when the accident happened. Second, Arron should have been to meet with the Principal, along with his parents, that day or the next school day. It should have been then that his punishment been set. And as said previously, neither coach has the power to expelled Aaron or even threaten him with expulsion. Those two have step outside their authority at school.

Now the Principal is adding to Aaron's trauma by wanting to pull him from the cheer leading squad. Because Aaron feels he's about to show the Principal what he had for breakfast, on the floor, this shows he is glad he is on the squad. One can only how the Principal hears what Aaron is saying when she finishes talking.

Aaron has wanted to see his sister, but his parents have kept him away. Why? Do they fear he may do something else to her? Do the actually hate him for what he did? Why wouldn't they sit down with him and inform him of Amber's current condition? And why was she moved? Is she still in a coma and needs long term care which can't be provided by the hospital? Or has she come out of the coma and needs extensive physical therapy? Or has she suffered brain damage? The story has said he worries about Amber, but doesn't say he has the means to get to the hospital. He doesn't have a job so no income from that end. Does he get an allowance or such for helping around the house? The story never says anything about this. His only way to his sister is by way of his parents, and they're keeping him in the dark. Why?

Others have feelings too.

Welcome to the Club!!!!

The rest of us are caught in that very trap too!

Sephrena

2015-04-26-730422.jpeg