Smoky Corners 2A: Kim's Conundrum (Complete)

Printer-friendly version

Author's note:

Although this is, technically, my FIFTH story in the series, it should PROPERLY be placed between "Second Mile" and "Third Time" chronologically. This is a 'fleshing out' story, meant to fill in some obvious gaps, and will explain a few things and bring the readers up to speed.
~~~~~~~~~~
"I never thought I would ever see her again," Kim thought as he locked the door to his ramshackle clapboard. "Or recall that HELL I lived through. Everything just happened so fast. What with meeting Roni and all. I wonder if I'm really up to this?"

"But I HAVE TO KNOW. Did I REALLY just see my sister Mei? Roni PROMISED me he'd explain everything. TODAY, I'm having him make good on his promise."
~~~~~~~~~~
I glanced at the note Roni had slipped into my pocket Tuesday. "Meet me Saturday, 10:30 AM sharp, at 239 Mulberry Street. There's a little curio shop in the eastern corner of the shopping plaza. Meet me inside. I'll explain everything there then, and will, at last, hopefully answer all the questions I KNOW you must have."

I reached the corner, and turned north on DeLaney Avenue. Mulberry Street was six blocks up, so I had a little time to think to myself, and reflect on the recent events that pervaded my mind. My whole body was unusually tense, as I looked forward, with a great amount of foreboding and dread, to what was about to transpire. "Do I REALLY want to know what's going on" I thought. "After all, they say ignorance IS bliss, and after the hell I've been through lately, I could use a little happiness in my life..."

I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I almost missed the turn. Fortunately, I caught the street sign out of the corner of my eye in the nick of time. I turned right onto Mulberry, and immediately saw the shopping plaza in question.
~~~~~~~~~~
As I entered the shop, I was taken aback by the sights and smells I beheld! The shelves were lined with all sorts of items for the ninja: from Chinese smoke bombs to curare-tipped shuriken, three-pronged sai to full katana and wazikashi. A rack of shozoku stood in the corner, and the smells of sandalwood and Chinese five-spice were wafting on the air. I felt- eerily- like I was HOME.

A tea cozy was set up in the far right corner, along with three tamani mats, complete with the appropriate cushions. A cubby was set up by the door, and I could see a pair of white Nike's in one of the compartments. A box of slip-on cotton uwazouri lay beside the cubby. From my years living at the embassy, I knew the drill well. I had entered the genkan. I carefully took off my Keds, and placed them in one of the cubby's slots, being mindful to point the toes of my sneakers toward the door and outside. I then grabbed a pair of uwazouri my size and gently slipped them on my feet.

As I was doing all of this, with my attention otherwise averted, I didn't see the strange little man enter the room from the back. "Ah, I see the dragon has finally arrived," the man stated, matter-of-fact. "Come, Kim. Sit. The tea is almost ready."

His voice, so gentle, yet authoritative, startled me back to reality. And yet, it sounded eerily familiar to me, as a rush of memories came flooding back to me. And then, it all clicked!

"Master Chigiri!" I squealed, unable to contain my enthusiasm. It seemed as if I were no longer fighting my battles alone. My psyche warmed to know that my mentor and friend, once thought forever lost to me, had at long last returned!
~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. K. motioned towards a cushion that sat on the floor, on top of a faded tamani mat. I quickly took a seat, and grasped the proffered jade cup.

"You remembered JUST how I like it," I said, as the gentle warming scents of cinnamon and jasmine reached my nostrils. "Oolong. Strong, but not bitter. With just a touch of honey- not enough to make it overly sweet, mind you, but just enough to make it palatable."

I closed my eyes and took a deep sip of the tepid amber liquid.

"You've met my apprentice, Roni, no?" he asked.

"Apprentice?" I questioned. "Then he has awakened?"

"Yes... and no." came the reply. "He is AWARE that magick exists, and has even benefited from some of its residual effects. But he has not awakened the power within- yet. He just simply can't seem to fathom that HE can wield such immense power unaided. I've given him the moccasins, and the earrings, but he has yet to master either of them fully. That, I strongly suspect, will come in time..."

"And the girl? Who, EXACTLY, is SHE?" I asked. "You know she can channel Mei."

"Ah, the locust blossom. That is Ginny, his twin sister. No, she has not even the inkling magick exists. I plan to meet with her soon, though. The time for her awakening approaches quickly."

"How soon, Chi? I grow weary of this body. It is weak and helpless, and I long to once again stretch forth my wings to the skies..."

"Silence, Chien Lung!" Mr. K. admonished. "Your 'host' is far from ready to work THAT KIND of magick. Besides, you KNOW you cannot freely walk this plane without Liu Kang by your side. And her 'host', sadly, is no longer of this world."

"But NOTHING is impossible, Chi. We just need the Phoenix Breath is all."

"Roni is not ready to wield it- not yet anyway. And we still must find Mei's remains, and a suitable host for THEM before we can weave the reunification spell that will draw Mei back..."

"How long, Master Chi? The balance is shifting. I can feel it. Soon, the rogues will appear..."

"I know," Mr. K. said. "I just pray there is time..."

"I see time, like the tea, has gone, my friend. I bid you sayonara."
~~~~~~~~~~
Kim awoke with a start. The dream had troubled him, even though he could not recall in the slightest what it had been about. He quickly rose from the bed, went to the sink to splash some water on his face, and changed into his school clothes. Grabbing a piece of toast and his books, he quickly left, heading up Centre Street towards DeLaney. And, he hoped, some answers...
~~~~~~~~~~
"Hey, Chief! Take a look at THIS!" Jack called. "Isn't THAT a little weird?"

Daniel Bailey had just arrived on the scene of what appeared, for all practical purposes, to be just another routine arson. Why Captain Donahue and his men at the fire department needed to drag him out here for something so mundane was beyond his comprehension. Since becoming Police Chief, though, it seems as if he was called out on EVERY case, no matter how trivial.

"Whatcha got, Jack?" he asked.

"It may be nothing, Chief," Jack started, "But look..."

He pointed to a bare spot on the ground, about eighteen inches in diameter. All around it were signs of the intense fire of just a few hours ago. Smoldering timbers, piles of ashes, and pools of inky black water lay scattered about, and the stagnant smell of the acrid smoke still lingered in the air. But here, in the confines of this circle, everything appeared remarkably untouched. No lingering smell of smoke, no ash- not even a burn or scorch mark could be found. And there, in the exact center of the circle, STOOD one lone, grayish-white feather, as if someone had planted it there.
~~~~~~~~~~
I carefully placed gloves on my hands and bent down to retrieve the lone feather. As I picked it up, I felt the intense heat it radiated, and noticed the crimson fire it held deep within, as it sparkled in the sunlight. "Damn!" I thought to myself. "The cycle begins again..."

Just then, Dave Donahue showed up, shaking me loose of my thoughts.

"Whatcha got there, Dan?" he asked. "A clue?"

"It's just a feather, Dave," I replied. "But it may have trace evidence. OK, boys," I yelled. "Let's secure the area and let forensics do their thing. We've got a lot of work ahead of us."

"Right, Chief," they chorused, as I made my way back to the cruiser. "I hope this isn't what I think it is..." was all I could think as I drove silently back to headquarters.
~~~~~~~~~~
I was just finishing my lunch the next day when Dean walked in with the report. I quickly tore it from his hand.

"Hey!" he cried. "Leave some skin at least!"

"Sorry," I muttered, halfheartedly as I ripped the envelope open. I didn't notice the index card that fluttered to the carpet.

"Bad news?" Dean asked, as he noticed the scowl on my face as I read the report.

"Arson, indeterminate cause. Unknown accelerant. Non-ketone, non-hydrocarbon. Possibly petroleum-based. Burning fraction higher than napalm. Possible terrorist activity. Referred to Homeland Security for further investigation."

"Well," Dean exhaled. "Seems like it's out of our hands. Hey!" he paused. "What's this?"

He picked up the card and handed it to me. I glimpsed it briefly, and my face went pale.

"Umm..." I stammered. "It's nothing that should concern you, Dean. I'm sure you're quite busy, so if you'll excuse me..." and I ushered him to the door.

I heard him mutter, "Damn near rips my fucking arm off, and it's nothing?" as he shut the door behind him.
~~~~~~~~~~
I read the card again:

"Feather. Gray-white. Species: Ave vulcanis. Previously thought extinct. Referred to Smithsonian Archaeology Department for review."

"Great!" I thought to myself. "Not only am I going to have the Feds and Washington eggheads riding my ass, but I have a goddamn phoenix on my hands as well. I thought I left all this behind when I got off that stinking island..."
~~~~~~~~~~
Just then, my phone rang, releasing me from my thoughts.

"Is this Chief Bailey? Daniel Bailey?" the voice echoed over the line.

"Yeah. Who wants to know?" I answered nonchalantly.

"This is Inspector Tom Ridge, from the Department of Homeland Security. We need to talk..."

With that, the phone went dead, as the fax machine hummed to life. In less than a minute, it had spat out a detailed map of the local area, with a big red 'x' over my house.

The phone then rang again.

"Fifteen minutes," it said, and died again.
~~~~~~~~~~
I must have been flying pretty low as I tore up Centre towards DeLaney and home. Yet I didn't encounter a single car on the well-traveled road. Even more remarkably, I caught every single light (and there were dozens) green. I made it home in twelve flat.
~~~~~~~~~~
As I was fishing for my keys to open the door, I heard a muffled voice cry out "Over here!" Then, two men jumped me and pushed me- rather roughly, I must say- to a black limo just up the street.

They threw me into the waiting limo and quickly slammed the door. As the limo tore up the road, I maneuvered myself to a more-or-less upright position.

"Mr. Bailey," the voice called out. "Forgive me for the cloak and dagger stuff, but what I have to tell you is of the utmost importance. I'm Tom Ridge, and we- no AMERICA- needs your help. We've been following you since you left the island, and we're familiar with your dealings with things- shall we say- not 'quite' human? We need someone with your rather- unique- talents. I want you to be my special liaison in this matter. It seems we have a phoenix on the loose, and ISIS is aware of its presence,,,"

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More than meets the eye

Jamie Lee's picture

So Kim and Mei are more than they present to others. And so is Mr. K.

Kim was surprised to find out Roni is Mr. K's apprentice. What's going to be Roni's reaction when he finds out? He's been seeing things he can't explain, so maybe things are progressing faster than Mr. K believes?

Others have feelings too.

Coincidence...

Tom Ridge? Homeland Security?? Just wondering about the name...

TGSine --958

Tom Ridge

Haylee V's picture

Yep, one and the same. I did my homework. The earliest info about ISIS dates to October, 2006, and his term as director ended late 2005, so it's pretty close to being accurate. Hey, it may be FICTION, but no one ever said it didn't have to be REAL... LOL.

*Kisses Always*
Haylee V