Meeting of Minds - Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Originally posted to Classic BC July 23, 2004

Breakfast with Cassandra, and the issuance of a challange for Sue.

Chapter Thirteen
Immortals and French Toast

by Dana Short

========================== ==========================

Sue knew things were getting a bit out of hand, so she interrupted saying, "Let's go get breakfast, ok? I know I am hungry, and I'm rather sure Patrick is ready to eat, since he has literally died twice over since having lunch yesterday. Let's check out of here, and I'll treat everyone over at IHOP across the street there, ok?"

Sue drove around to the front of the hotel, while Cassandra and Patrick went to Cassandra's rental and drove across the street to the IHOP.

Sue parked her car, and headed into the lobby to check out. As she was standing in line, her cell phone started ringing inside her purse.

Pulling out the phone, Sue answered, "Hello?"

"Sue? It's Adam. How are you doing?"

"Hello Adam, I'm doing ok, physically. Not so well mentally, emotionally, with my Oath, or with my life in general. Why?"

"Well, I just got the notice that you have been suspended indefinitely from Watcher status. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any problems."

"Other than the two Immortals I will be having breakfast with, you mean?" she asked, "Hold on a moment, Adam. I need to check out."

Stepping up to the counter, she said to the attendant, "Sue Danning, rooms 2713 and 2714, checking out."

"Ok, Ms. Danning. You prepaid for both rooms cash, let me check the other one, ok. There are no movie or phone charges, so you're all set. Thank you for staying at the Days Inn, and please come back to visit us again soon."

"You're welcome." She told the clerk, then turning away lifted the phone back to her ear. "Adam?" she asked.

"Sue!", he complained, "Don't do that to me again! What is this about breakfast with Immortals?"

"I think its part of why I am on suspension. I told Joe I need to resign, but he wouldn't accept my resignation over the phone. Of course, at that time, I only had one Immortal in my entourage. Cassandra was apparently still following my trail like a hound after a fox at that time." Sue explained.

There was a long pause, so long Sue wondered if Adam had perhaps been disconnected, but she could still hear faint sounds on the other end once she closed the door of her car.

"How is she?" Adam finally asked, an odd tone to his voice.

"Who?" Sue asked, "Cassandra?"

"Yes."

"Upset about Eadgils, apparently. She said he was her Teacher." Sue answered.

"I didn't know that! In fact, I don't think there is any information in Cassandra's chronicles about any teachers, mentors, or other Immortals she had met during her formative years."

"What, no mention of Methos either?" Sue asked, more to see what Adam's reaction would be than anything else.

"No. The Methos chronicles only go back about three thousand years. Nothing of his time with the, I mean, No. Not anywhere is there a mention of Methos in Cassandra's chronicles. Why?" Adam answered, obviously flustered.

"Well, add it then. And I guess I can add to Ed's as well, he was killed by Methos for the first time as well." She put in.

"WHAT!" Adam squawked, his voice rising over the phone. "Where did you hear that? Methos never even MET Eadgils. At least not that I know of. I mean, I read through every chronical on every Old One we have, and no where is there a mention of Methos. How would you know who killed him, and how would you know it was Methos?" he asked.

"Cassandra told me." Sue answered. "I think I can find out more about Methos over french toast than anyone else knows at all."

"Sue, you can't trust Cassandra about Methos. She hates him." Adam cautioned. "In fact, you can't trust Cassandra about anything. Be careful, and watch your head."

"I'm trying to be careful. Trust me."

"Wait, you said TWO Immortals for breakfast, who is the other one, Cassandra's Student?" Adam asked.

"No, I think he's mine. I told you I wasn't doing so well with my Oath, didn't I?"

"I was right, then. Damn!" Adam said.

"Right about what?"

"Sue, tell me it wasn't you who broke Patrick Wescott out of the morgue last night at Baptist Memorial in Memphis."

"I won't to lie to you, Adam. That was me and Pat, the Necrophilic Terrorists, as I understand we were labeled by the news."

"And now he's your STUDENT?"

"Well, that's how he introduced himself to Cassandra this morning. Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll go off together, and I can get moving again on my way home to L.A." Sue replied.

"When I see you Sue, we are going to have to have a LONG talk. Ok?"

"Trust me Adam, we will. Oh we will." Sue replied with complete honesty.

She had driven across the street while talking to Adam, and was now parked outside the IHOP.

"Adam, I have to go now to eat breakfast with my Immortals and mangle my oath a bit more. I'll talk to you later, ok?"

"Ok Sue. Be careful." Adam replied, "And watch your head."

"Bye" Sue responded, shutting off the phone and dropping it back in her purse.

Getting out of her car, she walked into the restaurant, where she stood for a few moments, looking for Patrick and Cassandra. Finding them at a table by the front window, she made her way over to them, noticing that about a third of the way into the room she ran into Cassandra's Quickening, but she didn't feel Patrick's until she was two or three tables away, perhaps ten feet. Patrick and Cassandra had both tensed at the same time about one step before she felt Patrick in her own mind. That gave her a benchmark for her own Quickening. Stronger than Patrick's by a bit, but only a fraction of Cassandra's.

She sat down at the table, noticing as she did a nasty glare from a short haired woman sitting at the counter at the front. Looking at the woman's left wrist, Sue thought she saw a faint hint of light blue. Watcher. Probably the one who had been trailing Cassandra.

"Child, don't look at the Observateur, er, Watcher. They prefer to believe we don't know they are there." Cassandra said as she sat down.

"Sorry. She's probably mad at me because this is about as blatant a violation of my Oath as becoming a Hunter would be. How can I eat breakfast with you, without letting you know I am here." Sue asked.

"What's an Obsorvator or Watcher?" Patrick asked.

"Do not concern yourself with it for now, Youngling." Cassandra replied. She then turned to Sue and said, "We were talking of Teachers and Students though, before you asked us to retire here, were we not?"

"I suppose." Sue replied.

"So how is it one so young has come to claim a student?" Cassandra asked, while Patrick pretended to study the menu. "I spoke to Patrick about you while you were not here, and he seems to think he owes you his allegiance. He told me of your rescue last night, and I was impressed myself. I know of Immortals hundreds of years older than you who would not of even attempted such a task, let alone been able to accomplish it. It was a feet worthy of my old friend Amanda the way Patrick told it."

"I'm sure he exaggerated the situation somewhat." Sue deflected.

"I'm not so sure Sue. He spoke only truth to me as he told his tale. That leaves little room for exaggeration."

"Fine, so I can think on my feet." Sue replied.

"The question remains, however, are you skilled enough in the ways of our kind to teach this Youngling, Child."

"I'm not sure I even WANT a student right now, Cassandra, let's forget all about my ability to train one." As Sue said that, she saw a sudden stricken expression fly across Patrick's face, reminiscent of a puppy who has had its tail stepped on accidentally. Even though it was gone almost as fast as it appeared, it stabbed at Sue's heart, wakening a sympathetic memory of how she felt when she had lost her father three years ago. Seeing it, she continued on, "But I seem to have him, and I'll do the best I can for him. He can't be any worse off with me in L.A. than he would have been waking up on an Autopsy Table as the local Quincy started in on him with a Ginsu."

"Now that's not an image I needed before breakfast," Patrick chimed in with, his face however brightening again, "In fact, it's not an image I needed at all."

"That may be the case, Child. But even so, I somehow doubt you can handle yourself let alone protect a student if you need to. That is only one of the duties of the Teacher towards the Student."

"I can take care of myself," Sue responded defensively, "And if I have to, I can take care of Patrick as well. Maybe not as effectively as you, but if I had to, I'd fight to protect him. What more can you ask of me?"

"That you WIN." Cassandra replied. "It takes years of practice to use a blade. Do you even have a blade?"

"I'm not sure I should tell you. Are you planning on challenging me Cassandra?"

"No, Child. I have told you both, I mean you no harm. You have my word I will not act against either one of you. On this I pledge my life, my soul, and my honor. There is no stronger Oath I can give." Cassandra said, the last words having the feel of some sort of ritual to them.

"Fine," Sue replied, then coming to a decision, she shrugged off her coat. "Here, take my coat for a moment, would you? Careful, it's heavy", she said, handing the garment to Cassandra.

Cassandra took it in both hands, and seemed to go into a trance for a moment, before nodding her head and meeting Sue's eyes. "A Katana is an excellent blade for one of your size, strength, and build. A weapon for speed and flexibility, instead of brute strength. I approve, if you know how to use it. The Katana is also a weapon for a skilled hand, many of it's advantages having a tendency to turn back upon the inexperienced wielder."

"I don't honestly know," Sue replied. "The first time I tried it I almost hurt myself. I think I am better at it now, but I've never actually had to use it before. Sword fighting was more academic to me before, you know?"

"You continue to be honest my Child, both with me as well as yourself. That is a good trait. It will serve you well. But we will have to spar, that I may test your abilities, and you may learn your limits as well. Practice is one thing, but a fight to the death quite another."

"There are a couple of problems with that plan, Cassandra. First off is your watchdog. They don't know about me, and for now I want to keep it that way. All I need right now is a charge of being a Hunter leveled against me, or worse, being hunted down for being an Immortal who somehow infiltrated the Society. I don't know of that ever happening, but the penalty might still be death." Sue said, another image of Adam flashing before her mind.

"Sue, I must caution you of something." Cassandra said suddenly in a cold voice.

"What?"

"I can tell when someone lies to me. Even by omission, I can tell. It is one of my Gifts as a Seer. You spoke truly when you said you don't KNOW of it happening, but at the same time, you suspect it may have happened. Is there an Immortal involved with the Hunters?"

"I don't know. And even if I did, I can't tell you." Sue said. "As I mentioned oh, about a hundred times before, even talking to you is a violation of my Oath, and could bring me before a Tribunal. At least I am being open about it though, so they might not kill me for it. Regardless though, they will certainly kick me out. Joe already told me as much."

"Well perhaps it would be for the best to let them kill you. At least then you would have a chance to start over again without worrying about their reactions."

"Not a good idea," Sue said, reaching out and taking a sip of her water, "They spend too much time hanging around watching Immortals. The Society has one formal method of execution when dealing with Hunters. Always has as far as I know."

As a waitress started to make her way to their table, Cassandra asked, "What is it?"

"Decapitation." Sue replied, just before the waitress arrived.

"Good mornin'. I'm Sara, what can I get fer ya today?" the waitress said, stepping up to the table, and looking around at all three.

"Steak and eggs." Patrick responded eagerly. "Hash browns, and a large coke."

"Gotcha." The waitress said with a smile, before turning towards Cassandra and Sue, "And for the Ladies?"

Cassandra spoke next, "I'll have a Blueberry Waffle, please."

"Ok." The waitress said, jotting it down, "Anything to drink?" she asked.

"Just some more Coffee." Cassandra said, raising her almost empty cup.

"You got it." Sara said, before settling her eyes steadily on Sue, "And for you?"

"French toast please."

"And to drink?" Sara prompted.

"Water is fine, thank you." Sue replied.

"Ok, that's a Steak and Eggs, with Hash browns and a Coke, some more coffee in just a moment, and the Blueberry Waffles for you, and a French toast. Will there be anything else?"

No one spoke, and Sue shook her head, so Sara continued, "Ok, let me go get this in, and I'll be right back with some more coffee for you," she finished, smiling at Cassandra, then turned and walked back towards the front.

Patrick spoke up finally, "Who is it that's wantin' to decapitate ya'll, Sue, and why?"

Sue closed her eyes and slowly counted to ten in her mind, before opening them again, and continuing. "Damn. This is getting to be a bad habit."

Patrick looked at Cassandra for help, but she just shook her head, then interrupted, "Sue, let me. I have no Oath to burden me."

Patrick frowned, and turned more fully towards Cassandra. "I first learned of them over a thousand years ago from another Immortal. As for myself, the first I recall having seen was Neil MacGreggor, who tried to spy on me off and on in Glenfinnan, from around 1585 until the poor soul's death in 1635. But long before that, his nephew, Brian MacGreggor had taken up the torch. Indeed, since that day, back in 1585, there has always been someone watching me. Often, it's a MacGreggor, I seem to be a family project for them. Up at the bar, looking like she's not there, is Sally MacGreggor. I could trace her lineage all the way back to Neil and his wife Kathleen Harris. In fact, Sally takes quite a bit after Kathleen's sister Mary as I recall. They apparently call themselves 'Watchers', and see it as their purpose in life to record the lives and actions of Immortals."

"They Spy on us?" Patrick asked, "All the time?"

"Not all the time. Only in public, usually. They take an oath, one which basically says, that they'll observe and record the lives of Immortals, but without interfering with us or even letting us know they are there. They are not as good at that last part as they would like to think. Immortals survive by being paranoid. Paranoid people tend to notice when they are being followed. Some of us accept it, I do. They are harmless, and may be useful to history some day. Your, 'Teacher' has a special problem. She was one of them herself, until she woke up the other day as one of us." Cassandra explained.

"You were a Watcher? Some kind o Peepin' Tom?" Patrick asked, looking at Sue.

"It's why I know about Immortals. I've known about them almost all my life it seems. In fact, the first time I learned about them, I was only nine. I remember it like it was yesterday."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 1993, Griffith Park, California.

Nine year old Sue was enjoying the day at the park with her Dad and Uncle Mike.

She and her Dad had been planning on the picnic for a long time, and Uncle Mike had been invited, but had told her the day before he would have to work, so couldn't make it.

It had made her sad, but she understood her Dad and Uncle Mike, who wasn't really her Uncle, did something really important, even though they couldn't tell her what it was. She knew though. They were secret agents. Spies of some sort, like in the movies. She didn't know who they worked for, but she imagined it was the CIA. She knew they were spies because they were always sneaking around, and filing reports on the people they followed. She kept the secret because that was the secret part of being a secret agent, so she had never even told her best friend Barbara about what her Dad did. Barbara thought her Dad was a courier, which is a person who carries things from place to place, which is also sort of what a Spy does. It is what she knew was called a Cover Story.

That was why she was so surprised when Uncle Mike showed up at the picnic. She was happy he was there though.

But after a while, she spotted the Russians. They must be Russians, and Uncle Mike must have been following them when he came to the picnic, because he and her Dad kept watching them, and discussing things in soft whispers so she wouldn't hear. She wanted to tell them it was alright, that she knew, but that would be breaking cover. As long as she didn't do that, she was like a spy as well. It made her excited to be a part of her Dad's and Uncle Mike's secret lives.

The Russians were over a little ways off, having some sort of party themselves. Sue wasn't sure if all of them were spies, or only one or two. There seemed to be two which her Dad and Uncle Mike were watching more than the others though, so she was pretty sure they were the other spies.

One of them was tall, with lots of muscles. The other one was darker, his skin deeply tanned, but he had nice brown hair, and she wasn't sure, but she thought he had green eyes. It was hard to tell from so far away.

Those two were hanging out together, and after a while they decided to take a walk. Sue wasn't surprised when Uncle Mike said he had to go for a bit, but he might be back and started to follow them.

Sue decided what ever was happening was going to be really cool, and if she could follow Uncle Mike, she might get to see him capture the Russians, or maybe kill them, like in the movies.

She told her Dad she had to go to the bathroom, which wasn't a lie, she sort of did, but it could wait a bit, and she took off in the same direction Uncle Mike and the Russians had gone.

It didn't take her long to spot Uncle Mike, he was walking along a trail, and the two Russians were ahead of him.

She pretended Uncle Mike was an enemy spy, and kept him just in sight, the same way he was doing to the Russians. It was lots of fun.

They had been walking for quite a while, and had followed the trail to the top of the hill, when one of the Russians spotted something off the side of the trail, by the cliff. He walked off the trail, and over to the edge of the cliff and bent over. Suddenly, the dirt started sliding along the side of the cliff, and the part the Russian was standing on fell down, taking the Russian with it.

He tumbled down the side of the cliff, while his companion just stared after him, then looked quickly around.

Uncle Mike was crouched down behind some bushes, out of sight, and so was Sue, peeking over some rocks at both her Uncle and the remaining Russian. She wanted to run to the side of the cliff and look for the one who had fallen over, but she was afraid the remaining Russian would see her, and if he saw her, he would probably spot Uncle Mike, and he might kill him. Sue was actually afraid for the first time. Her little spy trip was suddenly dangerous.

Not seeing anyone around, the remaining Russian started to climb down the cliff. As soon as he was out of sight, Uncle Mike moved forward, looking for a new position to watch him from. As he moved, Sue also slipped out from behind her rock and shot across the trail, so she could see down the cliff side, trying to find a tree or bush to hide behind.

She spotted the body of the first Russian at the bottom of the cliff, his friend about a quarter of the way down, and slowly climbing over the loose earth, trying not to fall himself. Even though she had never seen a dead person before, she could tell by the angle of his head, and the way he was not moving, that the Russian at the bottom of the cliff had to be dead. There was also a lot of blood, but it wasn't still coming out. She thought that meant his heart was not beating any more.

"Sue!" a sudden cry came from Uncle Mike. She had not hidden herself from him, this time, only the Russians, she realized. "Where did you come from?"

"The Russian, he's dead, isn't he, Uncle Mike?" Sue asked instead of answering him.

"Russian?" Uncle Mike asked.

"Isn't that what they are? Russian spies?"

"Why in the world would you think that?" Uncle Mike asked, scratching his head.

"Because, I know all about you and Dad. I never told anyone, but I've known you were spies like forever."

"Spies?"

"You are always doing spy things, sneaking off, and filing reports. I figured it out a long time ago. I never told anyone though. Honest. Not even Barbara, or that snotty Sally-Anne."

The remaining Russian was about half way down the cliff, and Uncle Mike moved over to crouch next to Sue, where he found he had a better, and more concealed view of both the body at the bottom of the ravine, and the man heading down to help his friend.

"Suzie, we aren't Spies. Not in the James Bond kind of way at least."

"I know that silly. You and Dad don't have any of those neat gizmos. Those are just for TV and movies. I'm not stupid you know."

Uncle Mike chuckled, and rubbed the top of her head affectionately, "No Sue, I never thought you were stupid. You are one of the brightest kids I ever met. And if you followed me all the way up here, without anyone noticing, you may be even better at this than myself or your father. But what we do is still a secret. Go on back to your Dad. I'm sure he's worried about you by now. He didn't know you were following me, did he?"

"No, I told him I had to go to the bathroom. But the Russian, or whatever he is, he's dead. Shouldn't we get someone?" Sue asked again, looking at the figure which had almost reached the bottom of the cliff, and the still and unmoving body which awaited it.

"No pumpkin, it'll be all right. The man is just unconscious. He'll be fine in a few minutes."

"No he won't." Sue explained, since her Uncle obviously had missed it. "Look at his head. It's facing the wrong way. His neck is broken. And he isn't moving or bleeding, he's got to be dead."

Uncle Mike looked down, then looked back at her, a new respect and pride suddenly glowing in his eyes, he said "A natural observer as well. Ok, Pumpkin. Stay here a few more moments, and you'll see, He'll wake up and be just fine as soon as his friend gets to him."

Sue and Mike watched from the bushes as the other man reached the bottom of the cliff, and made his way over to the body of his friend. Sue knew he was dead, and the way he moved, entirely limp like a rag doll, when his friend rolled him over and straightened out his head and limbs, confirmed it for her. But she didn't say anything more, just waited like Uncle Mike told her, watching.

The other man walked around the base of the cliff, looking for something, probably whatever his friend had died trying to get. Finally, he bent over and picked up some sort of shiny rock. It was too far away to see what it was, but Sue thought it was just a Quartz Crystal. There were lots of them in this area, and it was a silly thing to die for, if that was what it was.

Suddenly though, the dead man jerked his whole body, then sat up.

Sue was amazed. She knew he had been dead. But somehow, he had gotten better. He still wasn't bleeding though.

"Uncle Mike, what is he. I know he was dead. Now, he looks like nothing ever happened, other than the blood and his clothes being all torn up." The first man had rising to his feet, and was rubbing his neck, and twisting his torso from left to right like trying to work out some kinks. "Is he a Robot or something? Like in Terminator?"

Laughing Uncle Mike said "No pumpkin, he's not a robot. He is just a very special man. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but if you promise to keep it a secret, and never tell anyone at all, I will try to explain."

At the bottom of the cliff, the second man had handed the first whatever it was he had picked up from the ground, then he had clapped the first man on the back, and pointed up the cliff to the trail. They had then started climbing slowly back up.

"I promise Uncle Mike, I never told anyone you and Dad were spies. I won't tell them your secret."

"There are people in this world Sue, who are actually thousands of years old. They look just like anyone else, but they are Immortal. If they are killed, they will heal and live again. Your father and I, and several others around the world, well it's our job to follow these special people. To record where they go, and what they do, so future generations will have a better grasp on history, and the people who shaped it. We can't let them know we are here though, so we have to act like spies, hiding in the bushes, taking pictures, things like that. Do you understand?"

Sue nodded. She was happy to finally know exactly what her Dad and Uncle Mike did. She had just one question though. "Can I help?" she asked.

Chuckling, Uncle Mike said, "I don't know, Pumpkin. I'll have to ask the Boss."

"Who's that?" she asked.

"Here in L.A., your Dad." Uncle Mike replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Anyhow, ever since I've known about Immortals I've helped keep an eye on them from time to time, there are places it is easier for a kid to blend in, and there were times there were more Immortals in town than actual Watchers." Sue finished.

"And now she is one herself, both a Watcher, and an Immortal." Cassandra added, " And the two are not supposed to mix. That's why little Miss Sally at the bar keeps shooting daggers from her eyes at Sue here. From Sally's point of view, Sue's breaking her Oath in more ways than she can count. Of course, she doesn't know about Sue's new status, right?"

"Yep. And I want to keep it that way until I can figure out what I'm going to do about it." Sue replied.

The waitress returned, bearing more coffee for Cassandra, and a large glass of soda for Patrick.

As the Waitress left, Cassandra continued, "Ok. I think you need a plan. From what Patrick told me, what he's wearing is literally all he has in this world, is that correct?"

"I bought him a knife. Not a sword, but for now it'll have to do. Otherwise, yep. I was thinking of taking him shopping this morning, get him enough to last the rest of the way to L.A., and regroup when we get there. Why?"

"You need to take your Youngling shopping, and I need to lose my tail. We need to meet up again somewhere so I can see how you handle a sword before I make my decision. Do you know of such a place around here?" Cassandra asked.

"No, I've never been to Memphis before, and what decision is it that you have to make?" Sue asked, feeling a bit put out by the elder Immortal's attitude.

"The decision on whether I can honorably leave you and your 'Student' on your own. Tell me, Child, what would you do if you found a pair of children huddling under a bridge in winter to escape the cold. Say a boy of eight and a girl of twelve?"

"I'd take them to the authorities, of course." Sue answered, not understanding.

"What if you were in a place without authorities, or rather, one who's authorities could care less the fates of some children?"

"That sounds horrible! What kind of place would that be?" Sue asked, exasperated.

"That was the majority of the world until about a hundred years ago, Child. Even here in your United States."

"Ok, assuming I was in such a circumstance, I'd try to find someone to take care of the poor children. Why?" Sue replied.

"And if the starving twelve year old girl stood defiantly between you and her little brother, and proudly told you that they could take care of themselves?"

Sue suddenly realized where this was going. "I'd still try to help, unless I really believed they could make it on their own. Ok, I understand. I'm not a twelve year old child though, and Patrick isn't eight, either."

"As far as Immortals go, both of you are still infants. Neither one of you has taken their first head, and among our kind, that is sort of a Rite Of Passage."

"Makes it kind of hard to get into the club though, doesn't it, if you have to kill another member just to join. Eventually there'll be no one left."

"Of course, Child. That is why we have our Final Rule, 'In the End, There Can Be Only One.', it's not just an observation, it is what we are. Even with the occasional new Immortal joining the Game from time to time, our numbers always dwindle. There are more new ones these days than ever before, and yet, the old ones grow ever fewer and fewer, the strong ones ever stronger, and thus the likelihood of any new Immortal living to see their fist century grows less and less. The Gathering must be coming, although I have sensed nothing, nor have I had any visions. But I know the balance is slowly tipping, soon the scales will overturn, and the Game will end."

"So you want to be sure I can protect both myself and Patrick before you're willing to leave us on our own." Sue replied.

"I want to be sure you can both protect yourself and your 'Student', as well as train him well enough that he has at least a chance of surviving, yes. It is as much my duty as it would be yours to help those hypothetical children under the bridge." Cassandra explained, as the waitress approached with three plates of food balanced in her arms.

"Ok, I've got a Blueberry Waffle," she said, setting the plate before Sue, "A French Toast," she said, setting that one in front of Cassandra, "And a Steak And Eggs, with Hash browns for the gentleman. Will there be anythin' else honey?" she asked, looking at Patrick with a smile.

"No, I'm fine." Patrick replied.

"Ok, I'll be back in a moment to check up on y'all, and ta freshen up your coffee." She said, looking at Sue and Cassandra in turn with a smile, before heading back to the front of the restaurant.

Sue exchanged first a smile, and then plates with Cassandra, and started in on her French Toast.

Patrick and Sue tore into their plates, downing their food swiftly, while Cassandra ate at a more measured, leisurely pace.

When Sue had finished, wiping the last bit of toast around the plate to sop up the last of the butter and syrup, then plopping the final bite into her mouth and swallowing with relish, she looked at Patrick, who was just polishing off the last bite of his hash browns, his steak already reduced to a gnawed looking bone, and his eggs vanished without a trace.

"Patrick, do you have any ideas where we could meet up, that wouldn't be in the public eye, would have enough space to spar in, where we would not likely be interrupted?"

"No idea. Perhaps some Gym, if it was after hours, but I don't know how you could get in. Sorry." Patrick replied.

Turning back to Cassandra, Sue said, "I'm sorry Cassandra. I don't know Memphis at all, heck, about the only thing I do know is Elvis used to live here in Graceland."

"He's living is France now," Cassandra said absently as she stared at the remnants of her waffle.

"What!" both Sue and Patrick exclaimed at the same time.

"Elvis Pressley. He's an Immortal. Lives in France these days, I thought you Watchers knew where all the Immortals were." Cassandra replied with a wry smile.

"As far as I know Elvis doesn't have a Chronicle. They must not have spotted him yet."

"Well he does keep a low profile these days, and with having lost the weight, put on some much needed muscle, and grown the beard, he does look pretty different. Moot point though, while he'd likely lend us a place to spar, I don't think he ever comes here anymore. Too many memories." Cassandra said seriously. "I could call him and ask though, I suppose. If nothing else, he may have some ideas."

Sue looked at Cassandra and asked, "You have Elvis Pressley's phone number?"

"Well, he is one of my Students," she replied, "And I do like to keep in touch."

"Now that is a story I'd love to hear." Sue replied, looking at Cassandra with a new respect.

"Still the biographer, heh? Well, it's not really mine to tell, I'd have to get Elvis's permission before I told you anything, and likely you'd have to promise not to pass it on."

"Don't bother. On second thought, I'd rather not know. I have enough complications in my life already." Sue replied. "I do have an idea though. Got a pen?"

Cassandra pulled a combination PDA/Cell phone out of her purse. "I have a computer. Will that work?"

"Does that thing have service here?" Sue asked nodding at Cassandra's phone.

"Yes. T-Mobile. Works all over the planet, so it should work in Memphis. You ought to get one, if you travel a lot." Cassandra explained with a smug look, "They were the first wireless service to work in Glenfinnan, or at least in Donan Woods."

"I already have a phone, thank you," Sue said, fishing her own out of her purse to show it. "Anyhow that was what I wanted to give you, the number. It's a US number, area code 478, then 411, 1975. Got it?"

"Got it." Cassandra answered.

"Ok, now I'll take Patrick shopping, and you can lose your tail, and find us some place to meet. Then we can see if you think I can fight well enough to be trusted to ourselves or not. If you say we can't, I'll take your word for it, because I honestly don't know if I will be any good against an Immortal or not." Sue finished outlining her plan.

"Ok. That should work. I will see if Elvis can give me any recommendations, and when I know the where, I'll call you. I can trust you to come?" Cassandra asked with a lifted eyebrow.

"You can trust me to come. I promise on what's left of my honor not to just run away." Sue answered honestly.

"Ok." Cassandra replied.

Sue motioned to get the waitress's attention, and when Sara came over, asked her for the check.

Collecting her coat, purse, and cell phone, Sue left a tip on the table, and proceeded to the cash register with Patrick in tow to pay the bill.

"So, are we going shopping?" Patrick asked.

At Sue's silent nod, he added "I hate shopping."

Stepping up to the register and handing the check and a twenty to the cashier, she replied without turning her head to look at him, "Me too."

========================== ==========================

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos