Vantier: summer NYC

Printer-friendly version

this is just a run into new line of seeing what she would do in the marvel universe at large

just a side trip for Vantier, and this will not be 'canon' for her. Just me having fun!

--none of this is my trademark for marvel characters

Copyright © 2016 by Shadowsblade

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including
photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods,
without the prior written permission of the Author, except in the case of
brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other
noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~o~O~o~

Summer NYC

This summer after being at Whateley all year learning, growing, having experiences of this new life, this new world and having so much fun. Becky decided pretty much for 'me', that I should take some of this time off in a larger city and take a short term internship at a large tech company there.

Becky had lucked out, In her opinion? With getting me a job with Stark Industries and at the actual center of it in Downtown New York. That small job, it had me filling in as needed or requested all over the building. But most of my time so far, has been spent with me checking over vast mathematical formulas and moving highly classified paperwork all about the building. This little classification of mine, was gained by me doing my current job with ARC and Homestake.

I am working over a vast stack of paperwork for several departments and checking it's math for mistakes. My inner mind wonders to think of being with Becky tonight and grabbing a good dinner at a local restaurant. One other thing Becky lucked out on, was getting a nice two bedroom apartment near the Stark building from ARC and it was only a short ten minute subway ride away.

With most of my work nearly done for the day, I restack my paperwork on my small desk in that vast 'cubical farm', as Becky calls it? Then as I check to be sure my desk is locked and it's more classified papers are safely in it.

The phone rings at my desk, I pick it up and for the first time I really use it! "Hello?" I question the device.

The more than angry voice on the phone yells at me "Hey I was told you have my report!"

"What report sir? And who are you, if I can ask?"

"Tony," is all he says to me.

"Okay, Tony? I have a stack of paperwork on my desk and have filed or moved or delivered in the last Three thousand, six hundred and ten minutes. Exactly eight thousand, seven hundred and two pieces of paper, in five hundred and thirty files. To, one hundred and eleven, persons, files, desks and the mail. I would need a full name on the file and what the document was about to help you...please?"

On the other end of the phone, in his huge lab above. Tony stares at the phone in revelation and has to question this all in his mind 'Is this kid messing with him and giving him fake numbers? Or does she really know all that!'

"I am Tony Stark," were his next few words to me.

"Okay that helps me sir, under your name, I have handled only four hundred and fifty five pieces of paper, in eighty two files and delivered or filed them to thirty four different persons or places?"

All I hear from him is silence to my answer, so I add a question to help this human a bit more in his dilemma "Sir, if you could tell me what the file or papers were about?"

"The file was one of mine, on trans-dimensional physics? And was classified."

"Sir, only five files of that type passed by me? Can you narrow that down more?"

"It was to be delivered to my lab, on the top floor?"

"Ohh yes, I did that for you at Two thirteen PM today. I placed it on the table with all the incoming files or so I was told it was the correct table?"

"Well, I can't find it there!" he nearly shouts at me again?

"I can be right up and we can see if it still sits in the same spot I left it?"

"Get up here and help!" and the phone goes dead to me, so I hang it up.

~'Becky? I might be a little late tonight? One of the people here needs my help with paperwork?"~ I sigh mentally to my love.

~"I can wait and hold that table for us till you get here, Please tell me if you go longer than thirty minutes and I will get the meal to go for us?"~

~"I can do that"~ then I give her a mental hug.

Well I have to go help this man out, so my desk gets a quick final check, then I grab one stack of files that has to be delivered to that floor anyway and I walk off at a fast pace to the elevator with that stack of files clutched close to me.

The heels that Becky insists I wear here, they 'click' like mad on the Italian marble floor and then make a transition in sound to the short carpet at the elevator door. I think inwardly during the short, fast walk. Thank the elder gods that Becky lets me wear regular pant suits to this place, as a skirt each day would kill me!

I swipe my card and enter. Once in, I re-swipe it, then press the top floor and a small light flashes to me "clearance needed for access"...So I enter my passkey, of one hundred and three numbers and forty one letters on the panel. As I can not use the finger print scanner or the eye scanner, the darn things don't or can't read me. Then add DNA? I almost giggle at the thoughts, the darn machine had a 'brain fart'? Becky calls it, when that was tried!

With the code now entered, the elevator rushes me fast up to the top floor and opens to a room with a few people in it. I recognize most of them on sight, 'The Avengers' one of the biggest superteams in the nation and world at large.

The room beyond the elevator bay, is a vast well equipped lab with many experiments in play at the same time, then add there lays a very nice meeting or recreation room past the labs and a set of landing pads for jets forms the balcony just outside the four story windows.

Once I enter the room, Tony glares at me and then barks at me "Where is that file!"

"Sir, it should be on that far table?" I point to the far table, I know I laid the file on "Please let me check?" and I start walking at a fast pace over to it.

As I walk over there, Tony's eyes never leave me and I note a woman with red hair that is wearing a combat suit with guns on it. She has just entered the room, she nods to me, as we are the only two girls in the room.

"Be quick about it, I need that file and the notes in it!" he shouts at me yet again.

The red head glares at him and tells him in her far more gentle, caring voice "Hey Tony? Please lay off the kid, she is young girl, one of your interns and trying her best?"

"Her best is not good enough?"

That statement nearly stops me in my tracks, but I keep on walking to the lab table in case I did make a mistake? I pass that tall blonde guy 'Thor' on the way. I really don't like this one? He acts far too child like, then add to that, more than reckless for one his age and one who should be or will be ruling others soon? He acts like I did in my much younger, far younger years!

Finally at the table I find what the issue is, Thor's hammer Mjölnir sits on the stack of incoming files and no one lifted it up to check under it. So I grab the hammers handle, then pick it up, walk it a few paces back to Thor and hand it to him.

"Sorry, but I had to move this from off the stack and you might want to keep an eye on this, so it does not get in others way?"

"Ahh thanks, I shall," Thor mumbles to me wide-eyed, as he moves from his leaning lazily against the nearby table, to standing there and takes the hammer from my outstretched hand.

"Ohh that hammer has a nice balance by the way, but I like bladed weapons far better," I smile to him. He just nods to me and I turn back to my work at hand. As I walk back to the lab table with the files on it, he can only stare at my back in bewilderment.

Behind me, Black Widow glances quickly to Hawkeye, as he mouths out silently back, "What the fuck!" to her, as I cross the room. All she does is shake her head to him and then glares back to Tony Stark.

Back at the lab table, I move a few files around in the stack and find the one Tony wants in the middle, just three files down. I set it aside and place the new stack, I just brought up with me just under the older ones and restack the rest on top.

With that needed file in hand, I walk fast across the room to Tony and go to hand it to him "Sir, here is the file you need and I corrected the math on the trans-dimensional physics in it. Then I added fourteen pages of a better formula that works far better to that. I hope this all you need of me?" I smile to him.

He takes the offered files from my hand, then looks over the corrections and added pages quickly. Then he looks up from the pages at me and walks off a bit, as he mumbles back to me "What makes you sure, you are correct in these figures and this new formula?"

"I have used them for nearly five hundred thousand years, to make my own gates to other worlds. I only started to use them, after I found the last set of formulas I used, did not equate the drift a world makes dimensionally in it's path through the multiverse in say?" My head tilts when I think of that math formula "...ten thousand years?"

Doctor Banner questions me next, from his spot at a lab table of his own "You make your own gates?" as Tony looks over my notes even harder and does not speak.

"Why no, not now. I did long ago, but now I help the team at Whateley with this and other questions of the same type?"

Banner moves to look over Tony's shoulder and the files he is holding. Now both men are held by the math that they are reading over. While they do, Natasha tells me as she guides me back to the elevator "Thanks, you did great. Have a nice night?"

"Thanks ma'am, I will. I have a dinner, that I must get going to and meet up with one I love!"

"Well have fun and eat well. Good night?" she says to me, as the elevator door closes to her sight.

When the door closes, Natasha yells at Tony in a very mean tone "She made you look like a moron! Then add where in the heck did you find her!"

"I have no idea? Pepper does that intern stuff for me?" he nonchalantly waves her off and keeps reading.

"Forget the math! You yelled at that kid Tony in a bad way, I am sure she could have taken ya in a fight, if Thor's darn hammer was nothing to her?" Tony just nods back, as he and Banner read over the file even more.

"Lets see who or what she is?" Natasha adds in, while the men of science are preoccupied with the puzzle before them.

She starts her search with who was last in the elevator, J.A.R.V.I.S. helps her and both of them follow the flow of data from there. With five of her own overrides needed to clear classified material and add to that, she had to ask for Hawkeye's too! The file opens to her on the kid that was just here.

Natasha reads over that huge file of my information and sees that I am far from human at best. "Tony, that kid that was just here? She is Mythos or something like that?"

"Well that answers why she could do all that math so easily," Thor states to her, but has to shake his head "But that does not answer why she could pick up Mjölnir with ease?"

"Scared buddy, that she is going to take your job!" Hawkeye jests him with a slap to his back.

"Remember this my friend, she was just up here with you too and she could have hurt any or all of us in an attack?"

"Maybe we should have a nice talk with her tomorrow?" Natasha suggests to the team at large.

"Now that's a good idea Natasha! We might be able to replace Thor here and get a better player in trade!" Hawkeye plays with his friend again, in his regular jesting of him.

All Thor can do is scowl back at him, just like always

"I like that idea, we gain a new player and a female one to boot! A far better balance than this testosterone fest, that we have going on now!" Natasha smiles at the group of men around her.

~o~O~o~

The next day

When I get to work the next day, I find a note in my e-mail box. 'Meeting on floor one hundred twenty five, at ten AM with Stark and others?' it does not list what others, just the word 'others'

I have to wonder why the meeting? Maybe he need more help on that math, that has to be it? He can fire me, but why, I am not getting paid for this? I only get the experience of being out in the world as my payment!

So my work goes on as normal till that time comes, then I get all set and head to the elevator. Once inside it, I do all the needed security checks and it flies me up to the floor in question.

Once let out on the floor, a wide long hallway is in front of me and on both sides of it. Are Iron Man armor suits, one after another and I count them to the large door at far the end. I passed by thirty two of them, sixteen per-side and spaces for ten more.

At the large door, it opens automatically when I step up to it and inside, I see a large circular room with one huge table with nine chairs around it. Then add to that, The whole Avengers team waiting for me, all standing or sitting around that table. But only on the far side of it, that does worry me a little, as this room has no windows and it seems the only door to this room, is behind me.

"Hi Mister Stark? Need more help on that math formula?" I ask the only question to why I could be here in my mind, that is non-violent any way?

"No that is not why we asked to meet with you today, Miss Barron or can we call you Kyley?" Tony started the coming questioning.

"That's fine with me. Kyley is my name," I smile to them all, but I send my sense of feeling what emotions are around me, out into the room and what I find does not bode well. Fear, fright, unknowing, questioning, and anger just under it all.

Tony waves his hand at the air and J.A.R.V.I.S. then spreads display, after display hovering in the air, of all my history known by humans so far. What seems to be missing from my eyes, are any of my more than private talks, that I have had with, Dr. Bellows, Carson, Becky, or Mr. Twain and some of the most guarded Homestake or ARC files too?

"So, Kyley? By what my team has read here, you are by far, not just a simple student?"

"But I am one, I go to Whatley and am learning something new each day?" I grin at him and the others there.

Tony waves his hand and a computer voice of J.A.R.V.I.S. starts as a file shows hovering in the air "This file here Sir, it suggests that Kyley might be well over five or ten million years old? But she only lacks the knowledge of the current times of earth and has much of the ancient history of this world at her disposal?"

"Well, Kyley?"

"Humm, a girl or woman never tells her age." Natasha snickers at that statement, then waves to Tony she is sorry and for me to go on? "Besides I am a baby, I was born only sixteen months ago?"

"That's Bull shit!" he shouts at me.

Natasha's harsh stare grabs Tony, when she yells at him "Tony that is not how you talk to someone you want on your side!"

After I take a deep breath, 'why' I did that 'deep breath', I don't know anymore? I do most of this to help me blend in better with humans, these small acts of being more normal to them.

I sigh out, to him and them all softly "Why did you ask me to come here? I have not been asked or told that yet?"

Natasha starts walking over to me slowly after she waves off to Tony to 'shut-up' for now! "We want to know more about you? You surprised all of us yesterday?"

"Well maybe I shouldn't have? I was caught in the moment and messed up by showing too much of myself. I just love helping others out and that math is so fascinating!" I smile to her and the room.

"So what are your plans?" Dr. banner asks me.

"Plans, plans for what? The world is large and time even larger, give me a starting point?" I question his lack of thought or logic on the topic.

"Plans for after school maybe?"

"Just live my life and be with those I love?"

"What about being a superhero?" Natasha asks me from her side of the room, just as she finishes crossing her arms. A sure sign of being guarded to me.

"Me a superhero, why do that? Sure I love helping others, its my Races credo to do so! But joining a team and doing that? How would I know, if what we do is right or correct, as the world changes daily to who is, or what is evil?"

"She has ya there Nat!" Hawkeye quips his friend, with a wide grin.

"So you have no plans to go into any of that work, even after what you did at Homestake?"

"What I did at Homestake, was stop something you people have no idea how to stop and would have ended this whole planet given enough time!"

"And what would that creature be?" Thor questions me harshly now.

I give him the very insulting name of what it was, in the language his world warriors spoke to me, in ohh so many bars in my youth. Once uttered out, he looks at his team, then back to me and nods a understanding "She did what needed to be done, such creatures can not roam a world for too long and not be dealt with!"

"So what was it? Tony demands yet again form me or Thor.

"Evil just plain and simple evil...Tony. Leave it at that?" Thor tells the inventor.

"Well Thor? If you know all that, then what is she?"

"Yes what are you?" Thor now asks me and his tone is losing that friendliness it had only seconds ago...fast.

"Promise on your name not to tell anyone and I will tell just you?"

"I so swear!"

"Not good enough by far...boy! Try the one, you know you should do!" I humiliate and demand from him.

"I Thor Odinson, swear by my true name and Asgard. That I will not revel what is told to me by you!"

I slide into an old language, one he should know and ask what his fathers name is in it. Once he utters it, I have an idea of what his father called me back then. As what humans call his father now, is not what we called each other in our days.

I wave him over to me and whisper my real name to him, the one I ruled by.

Thor looks up to me with tears nearly filling his eyes and choked up a little bit before he speaks to me "Sorry that should have never happened to you and yours. It was a crime against all."

"Thanks, but I live on now and grow again."

His head nods to me a understanding, one that we only know. Then he asks me "Do you call this your new home?"

"Is there another? There can not be, this is where those I love live now!" I ask, then tell him with a smile.

"She is just fine, we all need never worry if she will do evil acts. We should just let her live in peace." Thor states what he considers facts to his team, as he drifts away from me across the room and back to his team.

"What was all that buddy?" Hawkeye asks for the room.

"Nothing a...just nothing you need to worry about ever. I know who this one is now, let's just let her be and move on." he says again, sits down and tilts his face to his fist. Then looks to be thinking of things best not said to anyone.

"Just what is going on! I need to know is she or is she not trouble!" Tony demands for the team.

Thor's fist slams into the table and it groans in protest before he yells back at Tony "Leave it be Tony! What she is?...Is good!" that fist slams again "And what is going on, are things best left alone by those, who have no idea of what is far above them! We talk of things that should not be uttered out, her and I. So drop it Tony!"

"Well if Thor says that, I take it as the truth!" Natasha states, then grabs my arm gently and guides me back to the door.

"Is this all? You are sure you don't need help with that math formula or something?" I ask at the door.

"No, we are fine. Tony will call you if he needs any more help?" Then she looks back at Tony, standing there as he thinks "Hey Tony?"

"Yes Natasha?"

"You should pay this one something for her time helping you with all that math?" She winks at him.

"Good idea, I will put her on a salary or retainer, for any needs of mine in that field... good enough?" he questions her back.

She nods back to him "That will work Tony."

Then she opens the rooms door for me and leads me to the elevators "Well I think you put most of the guys off for a bit? But they will figure this out soon enough. You have a nice day Kyley?" she tells me, as the doors elevator shut on her and I go back to my work.

--------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2016 by Shadowsblade

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including
photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods,
without the prior written permission of the Author, except in the case of
brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other
noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

up
206 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

sooooo

jennifer breanna's picture

Since Alya owns marvel......does she own the Avengers too? Hehe Iron man has to pay copy rite fees on his name :>

hummm

shadowsblade's picture

so a fictitious story about a fictitious, person....who owns a fictitious company, that may own a fictitious/real copy-write, on a fictitious superhero, on a fictitious team?

ohh crap I have gone cross-eyed !

Proud member of the Whateley Academy Drow clan/collective

nice

little side story indeed, *Snerks* I think Tony was lucky if it had been Ro he might have been sporting bruise or 2 ?

Matt

Alien

I love the rhythm and alien feel of this little piece. Kylie speaks in a voice that feels ancient, and wizened. It also reminds me of the uncomfortable burden of being alive. And she knows that loving others supplants the desire to die by the responsibility there in. It is good knowing another that truly understands.

Thank you.

Gwen

I'm glad Tony got his

I'm glad Tony got his comeuppance in front of the other Avengers. I have always felt he was too egotistical for his own good and I have never liked how he talks down to or tries to talk down to others. Always good to find out you are not the smartest cookie in the jar once in a while.
I would hope that Tony does not try Vantier, because she is so far above him, not only in smarts, but skills as well.

Hahahaha

I had fun reading this.

Smackdown

I do enjoy Thor getting put in his place by Kyley. I never have liked that character. Offends my Nordic sensibilities. Although in the end, he had to get the others off her back. But one thing. I felt it was a good thing that Thor not only knew who she was, he took the time to apologize for what was done to her and her people. Not nearly enough, in the grand scheme of things, but a payment on the debt owed her. (Yes, I teared up a bit.)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Who is Kyley?

Interesting reading. I don't know enough about old Marvel comics, or Norse mythology to figure out if this story refers to something else. Who is or was Kyley? Or is this all just made up?

This is all part of my fan

shadowsblade's picture

This is all part of my fan fic of the Whateley universe.
if you want more I have several chapters on here posted so far to read and there are others in the canon at http://whateleyacademy.net/ to read?

Proud member of the Whateley Academy Drow clan/collective

Want to know

Jamie Lee's picture

Just because they want to know something doesn't mean they need to know. Or should know.

Of that group, only Thor could be sworn by his true name to keep Kyle's true identity. And if Tony thought he was going to bully information from her, he was going to step into a big pile of it

Others have feelings too.

2nd time round

I find myself re-reading good stories and not realizing till I am again caught up in the story!
: )

alissa

sometimes things are best

shadowsblade's picture

sometimes things are best served or read twice!

glad ya love it

Proud member of the Whateley Academy Drow clan/collective