Mary Celeste chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

"No one there is exactly what he seems" - G'Kar

http://youtu.be/bT7a8Gv9qdA

Onboard SS ERIN 0430 08NOV17:

The messenger on watch entered the crew berthing compartment and quietly awakened the junior steward. The junior steward quickly got up and dressed. He left the berthing compartment and stopped for a cup of Java before preparing the shower for Señora Blanco. He was annoyed about having to rise so early, but Señora Blanco was a very demanding passenger. She insisted that she get the first shower ahead of her fellow passengers. He knocked on her door at 0500. He waited patiently outside her door to escort her to the shower and stand guard outside while she showered. She opened the door promptly at 0515 and the steward respectfully greeted her and escorted her to the shower. He guarded the door as she entered the shower room. The time was now 0520 [two hours after the death of Seaman Martins]. Within seconds, the steward could hear the Señora screaming as if someone was trying to kill her. Not thinking of the propriety of entering the shower room with a married woman inside, he instinctively rushed in to protect a woman in trouble. He saw a man dressed all in black moving so quickly he could barely see him. The intruder climbed the wall as if he were a giant insect and started walking on the ceiling! Suddenly, Señora Blanco stopped breathing and the man just disappeared! He looked down to see the (now dead) woman bleeding on the floor of the shower. he felt someone land upon him and push him aside to exit the room, but the steward could no longer see the killer. It was as if he was invisible! He felt the man push him aside, but could not see him! It was like some bizarre nightmare!

Afraid, to touch the naked woman, he left the room and raised the alarm. Within minutes, the messenger and Second Mate entered the shower room and were stunned at what they saw. The messenger threw up while the Second Mate examined the obviously dead woman. It looked like she had been strabbed a dozen times by a madman! It was if Jack the Ripper had found another victim. The Second Mate ordered the messenger to summon the Captain and the Ship's Doctor.

The Ship's Doctor arrived first and examined the body. He quickly determined that she was dead and covered the body with towels and her robe. When the Captain arrived, the Dictor stopped him at the door and said, "You don't want to see this, Sir". "What happened" the Captain responded as he stepped back from the door. "Señora Blanco was apparently strabbed by a madman, but I can't tell what kind of weapon was used. I've never seen wounds like this before. It's just horrible."

Looking at the Second Mate, the Captain demanded "Who did this?"

The Second Mate responded " I don't know. The Junior Steward was standing guard outside when she started screaming. He entered the shower room and observed the killer who pushed him aside while fleeing the room. he was unable to get a good look at the killer. He quickly raised the alarm, but the woman was dead before the doctor arrived."

"Okay, I want Sam [the Junior Steward] secured until I can question him privately" the Captain replied.

The Doctor then interrupted with " Captain, I would like to have Dr. Lorenz look at the woman's body. He may be able to explain the unusual wounds inflicted."

"NO! I want this kept secret from everyone except the crew that already know what happened. I want the body moved and this room cleaned up before any of the other passengers wake up!"

Everyone looked at the Captain and responded "YES SIR!"

Looking at the doctor, the Captain asked " Was she raped?"

"No sir."

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Curiouser and Curiouser.

Curiouser and Curiouser. Things are getting weird and scary on the ship!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

The Big Closet Zone

I went to the County Fair Yesterday (spent more time there than I had planned on). I went with an old shipmate (zero admission cost if you are over sixty (60) on Wednesdays from Noon till three). Say, wasn't there a Charles Bronson Western called From Noon till Three?

While at the fair, I noticed a food stand selling beer. Near the food stand, was a full size cutout of Captain Morgan (you know, the wood pictures with a hole cutout were the face should be - people stand behind the cutout and put there face inside the hole while someone takes their picture). I immediately thought about the Sempember writing challenge. Another story idea came to mind. A short silly story more consistent (funny not dark and scary) with the challenge. I may post it in a few days.

After we left the fair, my friend wanted to stop at In and Out (California Burger Chain) for dinner. He dropped me off after that. I just had enough time to feed my outside cat and turn on the TV before Love In The Moonlight (subtitled Korean historical serial love story - A girl poses as a eunuch ["girl Crossdressing as a boy, well mostly a boy"]). After that I rushed to input Chapter 4 of Mary Celeste. I posted the (rushed) chapter ( I had intended to include Tom Dodge's observations on the other passengers at breakfast and a quiet search by the crew for a missing seaman) at 11:48 pm Wednesday. Big Closet recorded the posting at 12:48 am the next day. Apparently Big Closet is in a different time zone!

Re: Curiouser and Curiouser:

Of course this story is getting weird and scary. The passengers and crew missed the signposts and have entered the BIG CLOSET ZONE!

Time Zone

Beoca's picture

It is indeed in a different time zone - US Mountain Standard/Daylight Time, which is one hour ahead of Pacific time. That explains your issue - it posted at 11:48 your time, but that is 12:48 server time.

Just gets better and better.

Just gets better and better. A shape hanging from the ceiling?

I believe the Big Closet time is Eastern, It's located in New Jersey I think.

Karen

Time Zone

Beoca's picture

Mountain, not Eastern - they are now in NJ, but were not originally. Try viewing post times when you are not logged in - they should display in Mountain Time. They change to Eastern (or your actual time zone) when you log in.