A Change Of Perspective Part 6 of 11

Printer-friendly version

A Change of Perspective

by Optimizer

Part 6

Cora was wearing ordinary, casual clothes - for a teenage girl. She was definitely not 'rocking the outfit', but she was clad appropriately. White sneakers with a few glittery accents. Her lightly embroidered jeans were tighter than a boy would wear, and so hugged her curves in the usual manner. Invisible for now under her hoodie were a knotted belt and a pale blouse with a modicum of ruffles on the border. Stud earrings, minimal makeup. Neither a girly-girl nor a tomboy.

She and Erica stood waiting for the bus. A few clouds scudded in the sky, products of Erica's tension. Yet if Erica was tense, Cora looked to be tied in knots.

"How you feeling?" Erica asked solicitously.

Cora took a second or two to answer. "Pissed and scared and confused. And that's just the top three."

"Just be chill. I promise, it'll be fine." Erica pulled Cora into a brief sideways hug. "It's still gonna be high school. You'll just have a different angle on it, that's all."

They stood in silence for a while. Then Cora spoke. "Feels like I'm a kid again. I haven't rode the bus in years."

"Not all of us can afford a car, you know." Erica smirked.

"Hey, I saved for mine."

"Oh? And you didn't get a deal on parts where you worked?" Erica asked with a smile.

Cora's lips pinched together, and she pointedly looked to see if the bus was coming.

~~~~~

"Everyone, I'd like to introduce Jewel Pinto. She'll be joining us for the rest of the term. I'm sure you all will help make her feel welcome, right?" Mr. Tasserant smiled around benignly.

"Actually, I go by my middle name, Cora," she corrected quickly.

"Cora, then. You can sit right over there." Introductions complete, the teacher went back to his desk and picked up the novel he'd been reading.

Jacqui had pulled some invisible strings to get Cora into Erica's homeroom. Erica waved her over and Cora uncertainly approached. "Hey, this is Melanie. She's with me on the squad."

Cora nodded, pretending she'd never seen the girl before. "Nice to meet you."

"Why do you want to be called Cora?" Melanie asked, inspecting the new student up and down.

Cora's eyes narrowed. "If your first name was 'Jewel', wouldn't you?"

"I think Jewel's a pretty name," she replied.

Cora looked nonplussed for a moment. "Whatever. I guess I just think Cora fits better."

"Hey, it's all good," Melanie said, offering a placating smile and a quizzical glance at Erica. "So you're from New York?"

"The state, not the city," Cora confirmed. "A lot closer to Canada than the Big Apple."

"Did you get snowed on a lot? I've never seen snow."

"Eh, some," Cora said evasively.

"Erica said your parents left the county?"

"Yeah. Saudi Arabia. Some year-long contract. I didn't wanna go there."

"Not as a girl, that's for sure," Melanie agreed. "So-Cal, you totally can wear better clothes."

Cora stared for just a second. "Uh, right. And drive."

They talked through homeroom, catching up. Melanie tried to give Cora some pointers about Hillman High. Cora paid polite attention but volunteered little.

Toward the end of the period, while Melanie was talking to one of her friends, Cora suddenly looked uncomfortable. "Crap. I have to adjust my fucking bra," she whispered urgently.

Erica shrugged slightly and whispered back. "What? You never had to shuffle your unit around?"

"That was under the desk!"

"Give it just a minute," Erica said, nodding toward the clock on the wall.

Shortly after that, the bell rang and the students moved to gather their things and head to their next classes. Cora managed to shift her bra as she stood. Not terribly suavely, but with acceptable discretion.

The pair of Sisters hung back slightly as the students moved out the door. Cora had English now, but Erica had science. Erica wanted to give Cora some encouragement and support before they separated. "See you at lunch. Just chill, I promise it'll be okay. No big deal, just school."

"'No big deal.' Everything's bigger. The desks, the lockers, even the pencils feel bigger."

Erica shrugged. "You'll adapt. It's gonna be fine."

"At least I don't have the same locker." Cora mused as they stepped out into the hall. "That'd be fucked up."

~~~~~

Erica fretted and worried all morning. Jacqui had made sure Erica and Cora had the same lunch period, but hadn't been able to put the girls in very many of the same classes.

She waved to Cora as the girl came out of the food line. Cora walked hesitantly over to the table where Erica sat with Linda and Kristina.

Erica had done a double-take when she'd seen Kristina. The difference between four-months-pregnant and five-months-pregnant wasn't enormous, but it was impossible to miss. The girl was starting to need maternity clothes now; Erica had a hard time imagining what Kristina would look like at nine months.

But that was a problem for another time. Once they'd all hugged, she'd immediately gotten busy abasing herself and begging forgiveness for not seeing them over the holidays.

She'd been extended a provisional pardon by the time Cora sidled up to the table. "Hey, everybody, this is my cousin, Cora," Erica announced.

A round of "Heys" followed. Erica introduced her friends.

"Did you skip a grade or something?" Linda asked once that was done, looking her over.

Cora managed to only squint instead of glare. "Nah, I'm just small."

"Where'd you move from?" Kristina asked.

"New York. Upstate."

"I bet you like SoCal better," Linda said with a smile.

Cora shrugged. "Uh... well, it's warmer than I'm used to for January."

Erica, hoping to shift the topic from Cora's past, turned to Kristina. "I can't get over how much bigger you got, in just one month! You've got, like, a real bump now!"

"Well, it looks bigger than usual, 'cause, well, I'm kinda smaller than most pregnant chicks you see." Kristina shrugged.

"Makes sense," Cora acknowledged. "Erica told me a little about it. Jimmy sounds like kind of a dick." 'Cory' had felt the same way, Erica had been informed. Even before the Transformation.

"Well, I know that now," Kristina griped. "Part of me hopes he doesn't want anything to to with Alec."

"You didn't tell me you found out what it was!" Erica exclaimed. "You're having a boy? And you picked out a name for him?"

"I tweeted it. Where have you been?" Kristina accused right back.

Cora spoke up. "Don't blame her. I... I really didn't want to be, y'know, here. I was pretty, uh, bitchy, at first."

The girls looked at her judiciously. Then Kristina snorted. "Well, it wasn't just that. She abandoned me, too." She jabbed a finger at Linda, but she had a slight smile.

"I'm sorry!" the girl exclaimed. "It's like, Paul. Boyfriends take up your time, y'know?"

Kristina nodded knowingly. "Yeah, I know. But make time for your friends, huh?"

"I will, I promise."

They talked over their meal, catching up. Cora didn't speak much, just absorbing things, looking around. Erica found herself having to split her attention between her old friends and her new duty.

"You know what really sucks about the second trimester?" Kristina said, leaning in and keeping her voice low. "I mean, besides having to pee all the time?"

"What?" Erica and Linda asked, almost in unison, leaning in. Cora followed along a beat later.

Kristina smiled, as girls did when imparting confidences. "I'm so friggin' horny I can't stand it."

"No shit?" Erica asked, surprised.

"Yeah, my hormones are going crazy. I had to 'roll the bean' last night just to get some sleep."

"Wow," Linda said, chortling. Erica and Cora kept quiet. Their nightly routine was almost always more involved than that. Erica wondered to herself if she'd get hornier were she to get pregnant. Was it even possible to be hornier than she usually was?

"Hey, you heard anything more about Cory?" Kristina asked Erica. "He really screwed you when he ran off."

"Well, we got an extension," Erica said. "And I'm sure he had a reason." She kept her eyes off Cora.

"It's so weird," Linda remarked. "You don't just take off like that unless you've got serious issues."

"What 'issues' do you think he had?" Cora asked, perhaps just a shade too sharply.

Linda didn't seem to notice. "I dunno. Drugs. Maybe he was gay." Her eyes took on a glint. "Soleil says his parents were abusing him!"

Cora was visibly restraining herself. Erica jumped in before she could lose her temper. "I met his parents once. I really doubt it." Eager for a topic change, she essayed, "So how's it going with Paul, anyway? What have you two been up to?" She leered. "Anything dirrrty?" she asked, drawling.

It worked. Linda, blushing, said, "Quit it!"

"I knew it! What did you do, you tramp?" Erica pressed. Kristina smiled, too.

"Nothing!" Linda cried. Kristina snorted. More quietly, Linda went on. "Okay, okay, I kinda let him feel me up a little last week." She paused; the other girls snickered. Then she drawled herself, though at a conspiratorial whisper. "And maybe I gave him a handjob."

"Shut up!" Kristina and Linda squealed in stereo.

Cora, unused to the pragmatic frankness of girls when boys weren't in earshot, just stared with very wide eyes.

~~~~~

Besides homeroom and lunch period, the only other slot Erica and Cora shared was AP Computers. The teacher naturally assigned Cora to Erica's group, since they were short after 'Cory' had disappeared.

"Funny. We go from Cory to Cora, huh?" Josh said.

Cora looked sour. "Maybe he'll come back."

"I hope not," Scotty remarked. "You sure look better than he did."

Cora, taken aback, didn't know what to say. Erica stepped in. "Give her a break, guys. We're here to write code."

"You even kinda look like his little sister," Scotty joked. The girls worked very hard not to react at all. The elder Sisters had warned them that having Cora attend her old school would be chancy. And this class was the most dangerous.

Josh squinted at her. "I guess. But Cory wasn't that cute."

Cora worked to change the subject. "So, what are you all working on now?"

"We wanted to do a physics simulation. But with Relativity. Don't worry," Josh said paternally. "We'll help you get up to speed."

"Huh." Cora smiled a nasty smile. "I was wondering if you could keep up with me."

Scotty laughed. "I like her!"

The teacher called the class to attention, to Erica's relief.

~~~~~

Erica didn't see Cora again until the bus ride home. The girl was rather subdued, but seemed relieved to see a familiar face. At least, a familiar face that recognized her. They didn't really talk until they got off at their bus stop.

"Man, Kristina's belly was freaking me out," Cora said as they walked home. "Yet another reason to stick with girls."

Erica made an agreeable "hmmph". No one said anything for a spell.

Cora broke the silence. "It was so fucked up. I mean, I knew everyone, but I couldn't let them know I knew, y'know? And they..." She stopped. "All the guys were checking me out. Even, like, my old friends."

"Boys do that," Erica said, amused and resigned.

"It's creepy."

"Was it creepy when Cory did it?" Erica asked pointedly.

"I... he didn't..." Cora was irritated and confused.

"Look, you'll get used to it. You're really pretty, would Cory not have looked at you?" Cora didn't say anything. "It's a compliment, really."

At that Cora snarled. "Is getting my ass rubbed a compliment?"

"What? When did that happen?" Erica probed, alarmed.

"Right after Programming, on my way to History. It was either Kyle or Louis, I couldn't tell which one did it."

"Oh, those fuckheads." Erica sighed. "Sorry about that. You're right, some boys are creepy."

Cora's "hmmph" was almost a growl. "And it was like being in the 'land of the giants'. I'm so small, half the people thought I was a freshman. Or I'd skipped some grades."

Erica was thoughtful. "You probably want to go for being a brainiac. Not so many guys will hit on you then."

"I don't want any of 'em hitting on me."

"It's gonna happen. Just, y'know, try to be gentle?"

Cora's next "hmmph" was not agreeable, either. She was quiet for a moment, then shrugged and changed the subject. "Anyway, Cory was glad to know not everyone's forgotten about him."

"What do you mean?" Erica asked cautiously.

"I heard Brandon asking a couple guys if they'd heard anything about him."

"When was that?"

"In AP Calc. I got the same seat as Cory, even." She glowered. "Right behind Danielle, and right next to Brandon."

Erica struggled to keep the apprehension off her face. The girls didn't say anything more as they turned into the driveway and headed for the door.

~~~~~

The women gathered around the table for dinner. All the girls were debriefed about their first days back, but naturally Cora needed the most coverage.

Academics didn't take too long. Just like Erica, she hadn't lost anything in that area from the Transformation. "I've got a couple of the same teachers, like Calc, but the rest are new. But it was all still, y'know, just classes."

"That's how it was for me, too." Erica said. Haylie was watching them, not saying much.

"It was weird with girls, too."

"What do you mean?" Miranda asked as diffidently as possible.

Cora chose not to ignore her question this time. "They talked to me different."

"Like, how?" Erica asked.

"More... casual? No, just..." She frowned. "Not even more relaxed, exactly, but..."

Erica thought she knew what Cora was getting at. "When a girl talks to a boy, there's things she has to watch for. Can't be too friendly, or he'll think she's hitting on him. Can't talk down to him, or she'll piss him off."

Cora nodded. "They sure weren't worried about that."

"But dealing with other girls can be complicated, too. They might be allies or neutrals or enemies, or frenemies, or... anything in between."

Cora usually forgot to be angry for a while when she was exploring a new idea. "Huh. That kinda fits. Still, well, cautious - just not about the same things."

~~~~~

"Oh, shit," Jacqui said when Erica reported that Cora was seated next to Brandon and Danielle. The Cora Situation was definitely coarsening her vocabulary at times.

Miranda looked just as appalled. "That's kind of a big thing to miss!"

"Oh, Goddess, I know," Jacqui lamented. "But do you have any idea all the things I had to do just to get her enrolled safely? There was only one AP Calc class open, I just... forgot."

"I guess it was kind of a rush job," Erica said consolingly.

Miranda apologized, too. "I'm sorry, I'm sure you did your best. I wouldn't have thought of it either."

"We'll just have to figure out how to help Cora deal with sitting next to her old girlfriend," Laurie said.

Erica nodded. "And the only one of her old friends who's still asking about Cory."

Bronwyn sounded fretful. "We may need to plant a Suggestion there, get him to let it go for a while."

"Whoa! You promised, no mind stuff!" Erica interjected.

Bronwyn was shaking her head at the webcam. "This doesn't just touch on Cora and her secret. This is a matter of the security of the Sisterhood."

Erica mentally reviewed the oaths that had been sworn. "You only swore not to mess with Cora's mind, and her parents," she said slowly. "You didn't swear not to... have you planted any other Suggestions? Like to teachers or cops?"

"No," Jacqui said immediately. "And that hasn't been easy. A couple times I was sure I'd have to push the police off the trail." She looked thoughtful. "We'll see about this Brandon."

~~~~~

Later that same night in bed, as they rested after sex, Cora admitted something else. She spoke softly, Erica had to pay close attention. "I was scared."

Erica frowned and turned. "What? When?"

"All day at school. But especially when whoever it was grabbed my ass."

"Nobody's gonna try anything. Not at school..."

"But what if they did? I mean, can you picture me trying to fight a guy like Alan?" Cora looked up into Erica's eyes. "I'm fucking tiny now." She shrugged. "A waif like Hit Girl can beat up a bunch of guys. But that's movies. Comics and shit. In real life..." She left the rest unspoken.

"We won't let that happen," Erica said with far more confidence than she suddenly felt.

~~~~~

The first week of school was a short one, only three days. Cora greeted the weekend with all-too-evident relief. Erica had returned from a morning practice, and the two girls were eating lunch on the couch, watching sports.

"Did you notice how weird Viagra commercials look from this side?" Cora asked Erica.

"Yeah, and the beer commercials."

A jangling, flashing ad for the latest shooter game blared out of the TV for fifteen seconds. Cora sighed. "I was really looking forward to that one," she said, almost wistfully. "Now I can't afford it." Cora hadn't negotiated an allowance; the Sisterhood was paying only for the necessities. What seemed to rankle her the most was that certain luxuries she didn't want - feminine luxuries like jewelry, perfume, and such - were counted as necessities, while video games were not.

Miranda had explained that, if she wanted such things, she'd have to earn some of her own money. The Sisterhood didn't have the funds to cater to Cora's every whim.

"For a secret society that's been around for thousands of years, the Sisterhood's pretty damn poor," Cora griped. It was a familiar refrain.

It was overly familiar - wearying - for Erica. But she'd thought about it. "You know, for most of that time women couldn't own property."

That gave Cora pause. Erica recalled the early days of her Transition, being forced to reinterpret so many things from a radically different vantage point. She could almost hear the gears turning in her companion's head.

As usual when Cora couldn't see a way to victory, she shifted ground. "I can't get my old job at the warehouse. Fuck, I bet I couldn't even lift half the cases now!"

"Think you could work up front? You know cars."

"I don't think most guys want to buy auto parts from a cute little chick." Her scowl deepened. "And I don't think I want to deal with the kind of guy who does."

Erica thought for a minute. "I could maybe get you a job at the restaurant."

Also as usual, it didn't take long for Cora to digest the implications. "A waitress? You're asking if I want to be a waitress?" Disdain dripped from her words.

"Calm the fuck down, okay?" Erica snapped, exasperated. It startled Cora. "You want money, so you need a job, but you don't have any references." She kept talking, overriding Cora's protests. "I know that's not your fault, but anyway, it's the truth!"

She let Cora fume for a second. No concession came, but Erica hadn't expected one. After a moment, she went on. "I think I can talk the managers into hiring you. If you can handle it," and here Erica paused again to savor Cora's annoyed expression, "in a couple months I bet you could be a hostess. You're cute enough, when you're not sulking like a fucking baby."

Now Cora was outraged. She didn't say anything, she just got up and stormed off.

Erica sat and watched TV. Maybe it had been a mistake.

But maybe they couldn't handle Cora like fragile crystal forever.

~~~~~

Cora didn't speak to Erica for most of the day - which meant she didn't speak much at all. She normally avoided Miranda as much as she possibly could. While she was now unfailingly polite to Haylie, Erica's little sister was off with her friends almost the whole day. The only friends Cora had were Erica's friends, and at this point they were, to her, little more than acquaintances.

She spent the afternoon on her laptop. At dinner, she was silent save for muttered thank-you's.

Only much later, after Haylie had gone to bed, did Cora open up again. She sat in a chair next to the loveseat Erica was draped on, and faced the TV. But she spoke. "I guess I don't have a lot of alternatives." There was no apology in the tone.

"Not that I can see," Erica said in her own flat inflection.

"I just don't... want to be... like that."

Erica couldn't decide whether to be annoyed or amused. Imagining how Eric would have responded to the same prospect settled it on the side of humor. But there was a note of irritation when she said, "It's not like I work at Hooters, you know."

"Yeah, I know," Cora said. "I'm gonna have to wear makeup, though."

Before long, they went up to bed. The sex afterward wasn't precisely make-up sex. But it helped settle more than just bodily tension.

~~~~~

Cora tried out for the soccer team. She didn't make it; she was small, and her control over her new body was still very much developing. Being determined and tireless and ruthless didn't make up for that - at least, not in the eyes of the coach.

Cora fulminated all that evening. She'd been Transformed from a fit and healthy boy, and retained an analogous level of physical conditioning. "Maybe I'm not all that great with footwork yet," she was saying. "But by the end of the game, when everyone's dragging, I'd still be running."

"I wonder if the coach thought it'd be too hard to, like, integrate you into the team," Erica said, trying to soften the blow. Or at least the blowback. "Besides, do you really want to see Danielle any more than you have to?"

It didn't work. "I'm a student, too! Even if they think I'm new, I have a right to be on the team!"

Erica shrugged helplessly. "Well, maybe you can do that in college."

Her Mother broke in. "I agree you should have some extracurricular activity." And not just for college prep. Social interaction! Miranda thought to herself. "Perhaps choir? You have a lovely singing voice. With some training, I think you could really shine."

For some reason, the idea seemed to irritate Cora more. She glowered. "Why can't I just go for track?"

Miranda had to stifle an urge to throw up her hands. "You know why. The fewer things Cora has in common with Cory, the better."

"I've gotta do something physical. I'll go crazy if I don't. I always think better on a long run."

"No one's saying you can't go out for a jog," Erica said soothingly. "But come on! A girl who looks like Cory's sister, has almost the same name, and is into computers and track?"

"Who's gonna figure it out?" Cora snapped. "Who'd even believe it?"

Miranda just looked her in the eye. She didn't say anything with Haylie in the room, but her thought was plain. You did. Enough, at least.

Cora got quiet then, though her thin lips and tensed shoulders spoke for her.

"You could play soccer with me," Haylie volunteered into the silence. "Coach says I need to practice more anyway."

Cora paused for a second, visibly restraining her habitual sarcasm. Ever since the TV argument, she was careful not to snap at Haylie. Indeed, she seemed to have developed an actual liking for the girl. "Huh. Why not?" She glared for a moment at Miranda and Erica, then said, "Wanna get started now?"

Haylie, taken aback, stammered, "Uh, well, I gotta change..."

Cora, mouth twisted, looked down at the dress she wore. "Me too. Meet you in five." She walked off without looking back.

The Jardin women exchanged helpless glances.

~~~~~

Brandon sat down at his desk. Calc wasn't his favorite thing in the world, but you needed math if you wanted to get into an engineering program in college.

He spared a glance to his right. The new girl, Cora, was looking down at her book. She was always so shy. Had barely said anything to him, or anybody else in class, since she'd been assigned here.

Danielle turned and smiled at him. "How's it going? Wasn't number four a bitch?"

"Eh, wasn't so bad." He hesitated, then asked, "Hear anything from Cory?"

Danielle looked irritated. "I already told you, no. Why do you keep asking?"

"Hey, sorry! It's just, I talked to his mom and dad last night. They got a letter from him, from Seattle." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the new girl turn away from them both and stare harder at her book.

"Why do you even care?" Danielle said. "He skipped out on you too."

"He was my bro. If he's in trouble, I want to help."

At that Cora gave him a quick look. Before he could even figure out what kind of look it was, though, she was back to her book. He wished she'd chill out a little. She was pretty decent-looking, in a buttoned-down way. So shy and quiet, like a scared little deer. You just naturally wanted to take care of her.

Then when he turned back at Danielle, she was frowning at Cora. But the next second she smiled at him. "So what did you get for four, anyway?"

Girls, he thought. Who knows what the fuck goes on in their heads?

~~~~~

"So just take it easy. No rush, y'know? Just, like, take your time."

"I'll be careful," Cora grumbled. While Erica was at cheerleading practice, Cora was going to head over to a nearby parking lot and 'calibrate her driving reflexes' for her new body.

Miranda had agreed not to come along. Had agreed to let Cora do it all by herself. No one had actually screamed, or even raised their voices. It had still been a fraught discussion. Not really because there was much concern about Cora's driving; rather, this would be the first time she would be entirely alone and unsupervised. With the means to run away, should she choose.

Erica got out of the driver's side. They were at the park again. "C'mon, I want you meet my girls."

Cora sighed but left of the car and followed her to the gathering crowd of girls. She had confessed to Erica that 'Cory' had the same mixed emotions about cheerleaders common to many boys. They admired the beauty and grace, and almost defensively looked down on their intellect. But Cora had seen Erica practicing and had rather more respect for the sport now.

A quick round of hugs ensued when she got to the milling girls, then she turned. "Hey. This is my cousin, Cora. Cora, this is Shianti, and Trahn."

"Hey," the girls all said, giving each other once-overs.

"Nice to finally meet you. Erica's said good things about you." Cora said, with all apparent sincerity.

"Were you in cheer back home?" Trahn asked.

"No!" Cora exclaimed, startled.

"Too bad. Somebody small like you, tumbling's easier. And I bet we could get you fifteen feet up!"

Cora was clearly at a loss. "That's, like, not really my thing."

"You couldn't really do much anyway for a while, I guess." Shianti grinned. "Took Erica this long just to get a forward flip down."

"You did not just say that!"

Minutes later, small talk completed, Erica stole a glance as Cora turned out onto the road. Smoothly enough. It wasn't particularly different, driving as a girl, not with power steering and such. But like game controllers, everything was in a slightly different place. Besides, Cora needed time alone. She was a Sister, not a prisoner.

She just had to trust Cora would come back to pick her up at the end of practice. Erica was positive she would.

Ninety-nine percent sure.

Well... maybe ninety-five.

~~~~~

Erica felt a little guilty for her doubts when Cora showed up a few minutes early. She hugged her friends goodbye at the end of practice and went over to the car.

Cora popped the locks on the doors and let her in. She was quiet as she pulled out onto the road for home.

"Everything chill?" Erica asked, quietly, after a minute.

Cora kept her eyes on the road. "I drove by Cory's house."

Erica didn't say anything. She swallowed, though.

"I know, I just... couldn't help it. I had to see." Her hands clenched the wheel. "I didn't slow down or anything. I just... wanted to see."

"What... did you see?"

"Just the house. It's not like Mom and Dad were sitting on the porch or anything." Then, very quietly, "I miss them."

"Oh, Goddess, Cora, I'm sorry." She put her hand on the girl's shoulder. "You'll see them again. I promise."

Cora suppressed a sniffle, blinked fast, and took on a look of determination. "Fuckin' A I will."

"That's right," Erica said, encouraging, though she was a little sad Cora bottled everything up and wouldn't cry.

And in the back of her mind, she resolved to make sure Cora never found out about Miranda's binding spell.

~~~~~

Cora and Erica were walking home from the bus stop. "Another thing that sucks. I get to see Danielle naked before and after gym. Her locker's in my row."

"That does suck," Erica said sympathetically.

"Sure didn't take her long to get over Cory," Cora observed. "He's pissed. Even I think it's kinda shitty."

"Were you..." Erica caught herself. "Was Cory in love with her?"

Cora's mouth scrunched, her brow furrowed. Erica had to suppress a grin at the involuntary cuteness of her expression. "Not really. But he did, like, care for her, y'know? She wasn't just, like, a fuckbuddy or something." She shook her head. "He kinda thought that she had some feelings for him, too. Guess not."

Erica couldn't quite get used to the 'Cory' language. "Well, it's not like we let you send her a message or anything. She probably felt kinda abandoned."

"I guess."

~~~~~

Erica looked up from her homework at Cora. "Hey." The dark-haired beauty looked up. Erica had to ask her a question, and she honestly wasn't sure whether she wanted Cora to say 'yes' or 'no'.

"We're going to the see that Melissa McCarthy movie tomorrow night. Wanna come?" She was asking partly out of duty. Cora had to get out and be social. But it would make Erica's time with her friends more stressful. But maybe it'd help Cora loosen up a little. But she'd have to make sure Cora didn't act too weird. But if she could make friends with Kristina and Linda, things would get easier for Erica. But...

Cora's lips pursed. Erica knew she didn't like rom-coms much, but she was dutifully trying to be more girlish. "Well, what the hell. At least they won't hit on me."

"Okay, tight, I'll let 'em know you're coming." She tried to appear purely happy with Cora's choice.

~~~~~

Cora didn't talk a great deal in the car on the way to the movieplex, but that couldn't suppress a bunch of teenage girls from chattering anyway. Kristina had the front passenger seat, of course. Getting into and out of a car was just starting to become more difficult for her.

There was a bit of unpleasantness while they were getting drinks and popcorn before the movie. Erica was putting a little butter on her popcorn, debating just one more high-fat squirt, when Cora's voice rang out from the counter. "Hey, douchebag, my eyes are up here!"

Erica whirled around. The guy at the register looked almost as startled as she was. Cora was facing him, back to Erica, but the hunched fury was obvious. Others were craning their heads. A quick glance showed Kristina looking at Erica with an unreadable expression.

"I'm sorry, miss," the clerk said quietly, taken aback.

"Just gimme my drink!" Cora snapped.

Kristina and Linda gave Erica highly meaningful looks as Cora stalked over to get a straw. They had neutral expressions by the time the dark-haired girl with the dark expression joined them.

"Hey, you all right?" Erica asked, just as neutral.

"Fuck it. Let's go sit down." Without waiting for a reply, or checking to see if they followed, she set off for theater number 8.

"I'm sorry," Erica said to her friends, watching Cora march away. "I think she's a little PMS-y." Doing the math in her head, she realized that was very likely the truth.

Erica would have enjoyed the movie more if she hadn't had to keep half an eye on Cora, but the girl mostly just sat in her seat and watched the screen. Cora didn't come out of her shell all that much until afterward, when they were sitting at a table at Cold Stone. And even then it began with griping.

Cora brushed her hair back from her face and winced. "Gah, I hate the way your hair gets caught in earrings."

"It's worse if they're not studs," Kristina said, shrugging lightly.

"That's why I only wear studs," Cora said glumly.

"So you're going for choir?" Linda said to Cora, trying to include her in the conversation.

"Yeah. Gotta do something to look good on a college app."

"I don't have to worry about that. It's community college for me," Kristina said, looking a little sour now herself.

Cora spoke reassuringly. "Yeah, but hey, it's a lot cheaper. And maybe you can transfer after a couple years."

"If I don't get a scholarship, I'll be right there with you," said Linda.

"Are you gonna have a baby shower?" Erica asked Kristina.

"Yeah. I was thinking May." Her lips quirked. "And then a grad party a month later." Her hand went to her belly. "He's due graduation day. I just looked it up yesterday."

"Huh," Erica said. "Well, you'll let us help with the shower, though, right?"

"Sure," she said with a warm smile.

"Is your Mom gonna rent a room? Or just do it at your house?"

"Not sure yet," Kristina mumbled around a spoonful of ice cream. "Depends on how many people we invite."

Erica nudged Cora, trying to make it look accidental. She shouldn't be allowed to tune out when the topic was 'girl stuff', and her eyes had been getting a little vague again.

Surprisingly, Cora seemed to actually take the hint. "Why wouldn't you invite everybody you can?" she asked with a smirk. "More stuff, right?"

Kristina blinked. "Not all of my family's happy I'm having a baby, y'know."

"Oh," Cora said softly, smile gone. "Right." After a moment she added, "Sorry."

Kristina shrugged. "Not your fault."

"Well, we wanna help. Let us know what the deal is, okay?" Erica said.

They chatted a bit longer. Cora still didn't talk as much much as the others, so she kept her hands busy eating.

Linda and Kristina gave Erica a look as the girl scraped the bowl. It was remarkable how much ice cream fit into Cora, despite her size. They were all splitting a 'Love It' size, but Kristina and Cora had wound up getting more than half between them.

They left shortly after that. "I dunno if I'll ever get used to having diet soda all the time," Cora said as Erica drove the two of them home, having dropped off her friends.

"You pick the calories you want, I guess. Regular soda and ice cream would be kind of a lot, though."

~~~~~

Cora would have skipped school during her period if Miranda hadn't applied some Healing to obviate that excuse. Though from how green her Mother turned after absorbing the girl's pain, Erica doubted Cora's attempted malingering was entirely unjustified.

She still griped about pads. And at dinner that night, she complained that she'd been intensely embarrassed changing for gym.

"It's no big deal, seriously," Erica said. "Girls don't care. It's just life."

"I guess, but..."

Haylie spoke up. "In my school, the girls kinda want to get their periods. Y'know, be grown up."

Cora sneered. "Ain't missing much. Just a mess."

The Jardin women exchanged glances, but none of them pointed out that periods also meant one could conceive and bear children. Cora would not appreciate the idea.

"How are you getting along in your classes? Have you made any friends yet?" Miranda had to know.

Cora grimaced in irritation. "Classes are fine, but it's kinda hard to relate."

Miranda's head tilted. "It should be easier to talk to girls, at least."

"Yeah, but... it's so boring! All they want to talk about is clothes and makeup and who's going with who, where."

"That's all?" Miranda asked, giving the girl a "be honest" look.

Cora hesitated, then chose honesty. "Ok, not all. But tons. At least with Cory they'd talk about important stuff."

"Why do men get to decide what's 'really' important?" Miranda asked sweetly.

Cora looked very silly, frozen with her mouth open, trying to come up with an answer.

~~~~~

Cora and Erica always talked on the bus to and from school, naturally. It would have looked strange if they didn't, of course, but that wasn't the reason. They simply had things to talk about - and Erica was trying to subtly encourage Cora in developing a feminine attitude toward communicating, and keeping channels open.

Nevertheless, there were topics that had to be avoided around others. Cora had shared the news of her joining the choir while they sat together, but she waited until they were walking home from the bus stop to talk about her feelings about it.

Quite often, in fact, she'd talk about Transition-related things on those walks. Erica suspected she didn't want to be eavesdropped on at the house. It was somewhat gratifying that she seemed to trust Erica to keep at least a few secrets. But they didn't have time for much deep conversation on the block or so to her home.

"I used to love girl's voices." Cora shrugged. "I mean, singing especially."

"I read that, like, the really Orthodox Jews? They don't let men hear women singing. It's supposed to be too, like, stimulating." Erica had read a lot about relations between women and men in the last six months.

"Huh," Cora said, considering. "That's kinda what I meant. Not 'too stimulating', I mean, but... a pretty voice can be really sexy. It's fucking weird that I have a voice like that now. I sound like that chick from the 'Plants vs. Zombies' song."

"You turn yourself on?" Erica half-joked.

"Not... exactly. It's just, y'know, confusing." She shrugged again. "I got used to seeing this in the mirror, finally," she waved at herself. "And hearing me talk. Guess I'll get used to singing eventually." She frowned. "But it's weird thinking about how guys'll hear it, y'know?"

"Well, that's not new. Not really." Girls had to be aware of how boys would perceive what they did and wore and said.

"No. Just more of it."

~~~~~

Two-odd weeks into the school term, Erica wasn't as worried that someone would connect 'Cora' and 'Cory'. Despite the definite similarities in appearance and even mannerisms, the distinctions were too marked. The size change alone made a big psychological difference. Clothing and makeup helped, too. The relentless drills had softened her habits and gait considerably.

But there was a single primary reason no one made the connection. Cory had been self-assured and outgoing. PMS aside, Cora was increasingly neither.

She was hesitant, mistrustful, cautious. She didn't speak up in class unless called on. Even in conversation with her peers, she became reticent to the point of shyness.

For a couple days, she'd taken to wearing headphones whenever she could. Not even playing music, just giving herself an excuse not to get involved in conversations - and to pretend not to hear catcalls. Miranda had needed to make an explicit rule forbidding them at school. She wore them only on her daily runs.

Only when she was alone with Erica, lying together in post-coital langour, did she seem willing to speak freely and openly. Only then did Erica see glimpses of Cory's old humor and determination.

From the standpoint of the Sisterhood's security, that was all to the good. For Cora personally, Erica didn't think it was so desirable.

~~~~~

Cora dropped into her chair at programming class. Erica was in no way surprised to see the girl was irritated by something. Concealing her reluctance, she asked, "What's wrong?" in a low tone.

Cora shrugged and nodded toward another table. "Whatshisname over there, Colin. He opened the door for me."

"What's so bad about that?" Erica herself had come to appreciate the little courtesies that boys gave to girls. Some of them, anyway. Sometimes.

"I can open a fucking door on my own!" Cora fumed, a little louder than she should have. She drew a look from the next table.

"Come on. He was just being nice," Erica said in placation. "Goddess forbid a boy be nice to a girl." Cora was hunched in on herself. "Hey, what's really bothering you? It wasn't just a door." Erica did some quick math; it was far too early for PMS again...

Cora shrugged. "It's not just that. It's... Nobody takes me seriously. Not with this voice, and this face. I say something, and they just think, 'Well isn't that the cutest thing!'" Cora fumed. "Even the teachers call me 'sweetie' or 'cutie' or 'missy'."

"They're not trying to hurt your feelings..."

Cora's face scrunched up. Erica could guess what she was thinking - she didn't want to make it about her feelings, 'like a girl', but she didn't want to put it that way... and it actually was about her feelings. Finally, she said, "I just want some respect, is all!"

"Like opening doors for you?"

Cora's jaw tightened. She shifted complaints slightly. "Everybody wants to, like, protect me!"

"That can come in handy, sometimes," Erica began. But they had to cut their conversation short as Scotty and Josh sat down next to them.

~~~~~

The bus made the turn towards their stop, and Erica felt great relief. Soon they'd be dropped off and Cora could spill whatever was upsetting her. She could tell right away, the moment she sat down, that Cora had something she desperately wanted to discuss... but couldn't. They'd gone over assignments, and a little gossip, all the while Cora winding herself up tighter and tighter.

Cora almost bolted for the door as it opened. She stood waiting as Erica stepped down and the bus pulled away. "What's up?" Erica asked. "Something happen?"

"Kinda," Cora said. "You know Gabriela? In the choir? She invited me to a Mary Kay party. Her big sister's."

"Ah," Erica said knowingly. 'Direct marketing' was created with women and their social networks in mind. There were probably dozens of companies that offered rewards for women to invite their friends - and anyone else they could lean on - to a sales pitch.

"I told her I'd think about it," Cora said. "I wanted to talk to you first."

"Did you tell her that?" Erica asked sharply. It would look weird if Cora came across as asking permission from her 'cousin'...

"No! I'm not stupid. I just said I had to think about it, I'd tell her tomorrow."

"Oh, okay." Erica paused. "Do you want to go?"

"Fuck no. Like, nothing against Gabriela. She's chill enough. But you know how much I like makeup. And people selling things." She shrugged. "I'm supposed to be trying to be a girl, though, so... I dunno. Maybe I'm supposed to?"

Erica's mouth quirked. "I don't think marketing parties are a requirement for the Sisterhood," she deadpanned. "Although... it wouldn't hurt to hang with the choir girls some, I guess. Away from school, I mean."

"Kinda figured," Cora said, with perceptible resignation.

"You might even make some friends," Erica pointed out.

"Maybe." Cora didn't sound very convinced. She paused a beat. "I guess I'd go. If you come with?"

"When is it? I can't miss any more cheer practice for a while..."

~~~~~

Cora and Erica asked Miranda about it after dinner. She agreed that going to the party would be a good idea.

They did have some decisions to make, though. "Should I maybe invite Linda or Kristina? I dunno if they'd want to, really, but..." She trailed off.

Miranda shook her head. "I suspect this will be a little stressful for Cora..."

Cora nodded, scowling.

"...so perhaps we should keep it to just you and Cora's friends from the choir."

Cora's scowl was now merely thoughtful, not hostile. "Well, I dunno if they're 'friends' yet. But I guess if I start doing things with 'em, they could be."

Erica received a telepathic message from Miranda. Should anything go wrong, Cora can just let those relationships go. You shouldn't have to walk away from your friends.

~~~~~

Gabriela and her friend from choir, Jacinta, did what they could to make Cora and Erica feel welcome at the party. The girls nibbled chips and made small talk.

They were the youngest four at the party, except for the kids playing and watching TV in the basement. Gabriela's sister, Lupina, was in college and had invited several of her friends. And her mother had leaned on some of her circle as well.

It being Lupina's first party, she had another woman - Carmen, her recruiter - running the show and training her. She called them all into the front room and found everyone a seat. Then she got started.

"Okay, this is gonna be a memory game. Everybody take a look at Lupina." The young woman walked around carrying a little tray with small knicknacks - makeup, silverware, dice, odds and ends. Then, a little smile on her face, she walked out of the room.

"Okay, how many of you looked at what was on the tray?" Everybody raised their hands, even Cora, though she was suddenly squinting.

"Too bad. I told you to look at Lupina." Groans and laughing protests erupted, but Carmen started asking questions. "What was she wearing? Any rings? Necklace? Earrings? What color are her shoes?"

The two Sisters did the best at that game - they'd been drilled and quizzed on fashion and jewelry and makeup so much they almost couldn't help noticing details of how other girls presented themselves. Cora wound up winning some intense scarlet lipstick, which she accepted with mumbled thanks.

They did a few more games, then Carmen began describing some of the products for sale, passing catalogs around.

"But the best way to see what Mary Kay products can do for you is to put them in action." She clapped her hands. "It's makeover time! Who's up?"

Jacinta called out, "Cora!"

Gabriela immediately agreed. "She could be gorgeous if she'd do just a little makeup sometimes!"

Cora looked almost appalled. Erica felt adrenaline in her veins, though she kept it off her face. She could see at a glance that Corazon and Jacinta were just being sincere. But Cora would most probably regard this as an ambush.

"I'm not really..." Cora started to blurt.

Carmen was having none of it. "I'm not going to hurt you, girl! Come here." She was smiling, waving the girl urgently forward. "I can't think of a better showcase than a pretty thing like you." One more moment of hesitation, and Cora stood up.

Erica was relieved to see that Cora seemed to have herself under control as she sat down in the chair before Carmen. But she shot a quick flat glance at Erica as she did so. Promising future consequences?

"Dark hair and fair skin," Carmen muttered. "You're lucky. You can get away with just a little here and there. See, she doesn't even need foundation. I remember having skin like that." Many of the older ladies chuckled.

She kept going. "For school, we just do a little eyeliner - brown, not black, you've already got contrast between your skin and your hair..."

She matched deeds to words. Cora was quickly painted. "And here, just a tiny bit of brown shadow. And mascara."

Erica almost hissed. If there was one specific cosmetic Cora hated most, it was mascara. Even lipstick didn't bother her as much. But she submitted with no protest, if little visible enthusiasm. "Such pretty eyes. I widened them a bit, you can get away with an innocent look. Oh, my goodness, the boys'll be at your feet."

She switched to a brush. "Okay, now just a hint of peach on the cheeks. See how her cheekbones pop now?"

Finally, she selected two small tubes. "You don't want really strong colors for lipstick, especially for an everyday look. Here, this is close to your natural color. We just go for a little extra definition, like so. And once in a while, a touch of gloss."

She wrapped up and handed the girl a mirror. The crowd gave Cora much praise. Erica devoutly prayed they would mistake the pink in Cora's face for a blush of embarrassment instead of a flush of rage. But Cora did seem a little surprised as she checked her face out in the mirror.

"You see?" Cora started to rise, but Carmen put a hand to her shoulder to hold her down. "Wait! You have to see this. Picture, you come home from school, you want to get ready to go out dancing with your friends." She fished out another brush and started in again.

"You're almost there already. Just add a little bronze on the eyes." That done, she had Cora fish the lipstick she'd won out of her pocket. "Darker red, like this. And maybe just a shade darker on the blush."

"And now... Oh, Santa Maria, just look!" she gushed, and held up the mirror again.

Erica was tangled inside as the ladies whistled and laughed and made sly comments. Cora looked very sexy, even more than that night they'd played dressup. Partly Erica was impressed, even a little envious. But she was almost sick wondering how Cora would react.

Cora got a smile onto her face, but it didn't make it to her eyes. Carmen sent her off with a little bag of the shades she'd used, and one of Lupina's friends took Cora's place in the hotseat.

Cora came back to her chair with evident relief. Before she could say anything to Erica, Gabriela and Jacinta pounced.

"Ohmigod, you look amazing!" Gabriela gushed. "You could be a model!"

Jacinta backed her up. "Totally!"

"You look really good, Cora," Erica said. She managed to meet Cora's eyes, give her a quick pleading look before the girl turned to her choirmates.

Please, Cora, Erica prayed. Please see that they were trying to do something nice for you. That they were trying to be friends. That they couldn't know how you would feel about it. She wished she could have sent it telepathically, but she tried to project a flash of reassurance.

Cora took a beat too long to reply, but she mustered a wry smile. "Well, thanks, I guess." She even maintained the smile as she said, "Don't count on me using this stuff up too fast, though."

Cora kept out of the spotlight for the rest of the party. She even ordered sunblock and some eyebrow pencils. "What the fuck, the Sisterhood's paying for it," she muttered to Erica under her breath.

Erica thought, as they left, that it had gone about as well as anyone could have hoped.

~~~~~

The next day, another walking-home-from-the-bus conversation:

"Everyone always tells girls how good they look. All the time. It's always about how you look."

"Well, you're lucky. You look really good." Even in those clothes, Erica thought to herself.

"Are girls really that insecure, though? Like, they need to be told all the time?"

Erica sighed. How to explain it so Cora could understand? "You know that feeling you get when you, like, get an epic kill online? Or, like, if you're on a forum, y'know, arguing? And you totally destroy somebody's argument?"

Cora squinted. "I think so..."

"Or, better, when you got a really good time in a race? I guess I'm saying, like, when you feel kinda, y'know... badass."

"Okay, yeah." Cora cocked her head, curious where this was headed.

"Well... looking good gives girls a feeling sorta like that."

Cora's look of consternation might have been hilarious in other circumstances. But she didn't say anything.

Erica kept going. "Guys are supposed to be tough, y'know? Strong, smart... capable. But for girls, they're supposed to look good."

She gave Cora a meaningful look, daring her to dispute her next words. "That's totally what guys care about. At first, anyway. And usually second and third."

Cora had that look she got when actually applying her brain to something. "So... saying, 'nice dress' or 'I like your makeup' to a girl is kinda like saying, 'nice shot' or 'good run' to a guy?"

"Yeah, kinda."

"Sounds hard on the girls who don't look so good."

"It ain't fair, but that's the way it is." She shrugged. "Life ain't all that fair for small, skinny guys, either."

Cora nodded, still thoughtful, acknowledging the point.

"Anyway, picture how tough all this would be if you weren't so pretty. You got, like, an automatic social buff, kinda, being so gorgeous. With other girls, even, not just guys."

"Plus five to all social interactions, huh?" Cora mused, half joking but obviously thinking about the metaphor.

"Mostly. Attack and defense. Plus eight with boys. Maybe ten."

Cora was quiet as they headed up the driveway, clearly having trouble accepting the idea that there was anything about her situation she should be grateful for.

~~~~~

Cora put the last of the dishes away and smacked the cupboard closed while Erica was finishing her homework at the kitchen table. "There! Now we gotta get going."

"What's up?" Erica asked.

"You forgot? Extra choir practice tonight. You gotta drop me off on the way to your practice."

"Oh, right." She closed the book and got up.

"Jacinta'll get me home," Cora noted as they headed for the front door.

Erica stopped, and put a hand on Cora's arm. "Did you wear those clothes outside? With Haylie?"

Cora looked down, examining her slightly baggy t-shirt and sweatpants. "Yeah. Why? They stained?" She twisted to look at her rear.

"No, but... they're kinda stinky."

Cora gave Erica a look, then raised her arm and sniffed the sleeve of her t-shirt. "A little, I guess. No big deal."

Erica bit her lower lip. "Boys don't have to care so much about that, but... girls do."

Cora rolled her eyes. "Screw that. I don't want any boys after me."

Erica sighed. "It's not just boys. Girls care, too. Other girls, I mean."

Cora just stared, confused.

"Seriously, women notice how other women smell. I'm not kidding." She could see Cora wasn't being receptive to the idea. "I don't mean... well, you already know that girls care more about what other girls are wearing, right?"

Cora nodded, frowning.

"I mean, like, most of what women wear, they wear for other women, not men." Cora's lips pursed at Erica's words. You couldn't be a girl for long without learning that. "Odor's a factor, too. Honest. Not as big as clothes, maybe, but..."

"I was playing soccer!" Cora insisted.

"I know. Right after, it's no big deal. But other girls will notice if you don't clean up as soon as you can."

"Whatever," Cora muttered, but went upstairs to change.

~~~~~

Erica flicked Cora's clit back and forth with the tip of her tongue. At the same time, she pumped two fingers in and out of Cora's vagina. Cora herself was moaning softly; she'd never been as vocal as Erica. Still, she was far gone now, not guarding her reactions or suppressing her passionate exclamations.

It was time, Erica decided.

She stealthily brought the dildo up with her other hand. When she changed position - grabbing a deep lungful of air, licking pussy was breathless work if you really committed - she swapped her fingers for the toy. She didn't go very deep yet, and kept watch for any sign Cora had noticed the substitution. The girl was extremely excited and wet, though, and wasn't processing much beyond waves of sensation.

Over the next minute Erica gradually increased the amplitude of those waves, increasing how far she moved the dildo by small increments. Cora moaned more loudly than usual.

The moment had arrived. Erica sucked hard on Cora's clit, flicking her tongue in a staccato rhythm, and stroked deeply with the toy. Cora convulsed, groaning - she never shouted - fingers clutching the sheets. Her hips jerked, over and over. After the third pulse Erica's mouth was jolted loose, but she kept the shaft moving in and out.

Presently Cora came down from the high. Erica wriggled up to give her a kiss, but maintained a very slow, gentle pumping.

"Oh, man, that felt good," Cora eventually breathed as she swapped leisurely smooches with her lover. "How'd you get so d..." Her eyes suddenly shot open wide and she tried to sit up. "What the hell?"

Erica pulled the dildo out and showed it to her. "Nice, isn't it?"

"What? You... God damn it, I..."

"Didn't you like it? Sure sounded like you had a good time."

Cora had shifted away and curled up against the headboard. "You should have asked!"

"Would you have let me?

Cora glared. "No. That's the point!"

Erica was unruffled. "Did it hurt?"

Cora looked away, grimacing.

"Did it hurt?" Erica pressed. Cora made no response. Erica waited patiently.

It took almost a minute, but Cora broke first. "Fine. No, it didn't hurt. But you still should have asked!"

"It's no big deal. I mean, you actually liked the Shocker!"

"That's different," Cora insisted. "That's you, not..."

"It was still me just now, too," Erica interrupted. "How is it different from me using scarves, or feathers, or oil?"

"That's..." Cora trailed off. She was looking anywhere but Erica's face.

"Different, I know. Those aren't like a dick, am I right?"

Cora stiffened and her jaw clenched. Erica sat patiently.

It didn't take as long this time for Cora to break. "You're right. I don't like dick, okay? Even fake ones."

"It's only a fake dick if you think it is." She put her hand on Cora's leg. "I just think of it as a way to make you feel good."

Cora peered at Erica very narrowly indeed. Then her lips quirked. "You probably wouldn't feel like a boy."

"I never had a cock on my hand, even when I was Eric," Erica said.

Cora shook her head. Erica could see it was at the whole situation, not Erica's words.

"But still..."

"Look at me. Do you really think of me as a boy?"

"No."

"Then this can't be a dick." She waggled it in the air.

"But..."

"I know what the problem really is."

Cora glared.

"It fits inside you. And it feels good."

Cora opened her mouth, but didn't get to say anything. Erica kept going. "It's not so much that this is like a dick. It's that you have a pussy. And this goes nice and deep into your pussy."

Cora's stare was fixed at the wall now.

"The problem is, it makes you feel more like a girl."

Cora never admitted anything. She didn't start then. She just kept her eyes on the wall.

Erica held her silence a moment longer. "Well, tell you what. I got something else for you." Erica stepped off the bed and dug around in her nightstand briefly. What she came up with made Cora gasp.

The strap-on was fairly pedestrian as such things went. A belt, a pair of straps that went between the legs. The phallus wasn't exceptionally sizeable, and was made of some clear plastic.

"Let's get you hooked up." Erica smiled saucily. "You can get your revenge on me."

Cora looked both fascinated and frightened. Still mute, but now she just stared at the toy. When Erica approached, she knelt up on the bed and spread her legs. She made no sound as Erica adjusted the buckles, just turning her head to watch the process.

Erica moved back to check her work. It passed muster. "OK. Ready to roll."

She wasn't worried about derailing Cora's progress. Using a strap-on was like having a penis; as a Sister, Erica was in a position to speak to that definitively. But as a Sister, she also knew all the ways it was unlike having an actual male member.

This particular kind, for example, didn't have any extensions to stimulate Cora's clitoris.

It would feel good. It would probably even awaken 'Cory' a little. It would be a turn-on. But it wouldn't create that delicious friction that sex did. Not for Cora, at least.

She laid down on her back, and saw that Cora's nipples were rock-hard. She had a fleeting, amusing thought - a boy Cora's size, with a prick that big, would be almost disproportionate.

Cora got between Erica's legs, and only fumbled for a handful of seconds before she managed a fruitful alignment.

Erica moaned in genuine pleasure as it slid in. Then Cora pulled out, and came back in...

Sometimes, the disadvantages for the wearer of a strap-on were advantages for the one it got used on. There were no conflicts of interest - the whole purpose was the pleasure of the receiver. Cora used it as a tool, searching for the angles and rhythms and depths that got the biggest responses.

She stopped even considering how Cora would feel in short order. Having your pussy filled was a very pleasant sensation. It didn't directly stimulate the clit, but women had deep-rooted erectile tissue. It was better than getting a rub on the shaft of a penis.

After coming twice, she took it off Cora - who was overexcited by that point - and licked her pussy through a couple climaxes. She didn't push Cora to let her use the strap-on in return. Not tonight. In a couple days, she'd bring it up. She suspected Cora would say yes. Especially if she got to use it on Erica first.

And then... vibrators. She could hardly wait.

~~~~~

Lots of little conversations were going on. Calc class was starting late. The teacher had taken two boys down to the office for getting into a shoving match.

Brandon said to Danielle, "Cory's mom got another letter from him a couple days ago."

She just looked annoyed. "So what?"

He squinted at her. "He was your boyfriend. Don't you give a crap?"

Danielle rolled her eyes. "He just takes off, no text, no calls, nothing. Apparently I'm not important enough to even say goodbye!"

Brandon said, slowly, "That's what bugs me. I just can't see him doing that. And the letters are real fuzzy about where he is or what he's doing."

Danielle scoffed. "He still coulda called."

"Maybe he's protecting you. All of us," Brandon said insistently.

"Oh, I am so sure. Now he's going to Hogwarts and can't tell us Muggles."

He flushed. "I don't mean..." He stopped, began again. "I just want to know. If I disappeared, he'd look for me."

All of a sudden, Cora spoke up. "What are you gonna do that the cops can't, anyway?" Danielle and Brandon were actually startled.

"Huh?" he managed, unable to come up with anything better.

The girl seemed to regret speaking up. "I just mean... cops can track cell phones and stuff. You're not... well..."

He squinted at her. "What's it to you, anyway?" he snapped. He felt bad right after he said it, though. It came out a lot more angry than he'd intended. Maybe I am a little defensive, huh? he thought.

She looked down at her desk. "I'm sorry... I didn't think you..."

"Hey, no, my bad. I didn't mean to jump all over you like that. Maybe I do need to take a break."

She looked at him again. "It's fine," she said softly as she stared back down at her desk, smiling a little.

Cora's relieved smile seemed to irritate Danielle. "Whatever," she broke in, looking at Brandon. "Can we please talk about something besides that freak?"

So he talked with Danielle about homework until the teacher got back and started class. Cora had gone back into her own world again.

Brandon found himself remembering that smile, though. Yeah, she could actually be pretty cute if she'd just open up a little.

~~~~~

Erica was not happy when Cora mentioned the incident with Brandon on their walk home from the bus. "You probably should just ignore him."

Cora shrugged, rather too nonchalantly for Erica's taste. "He's right, though. I am protecting him. I don't want the Sisters 0wnz0ring his brain. And I sure as shit don't think we need a fucking 'Brandi', either."

Erica felt a little uneasy, recalling Bronwyn's speculation about Suggestions. "I can't see that happening."

They just walked quietly for a couple houses. Then Cora said, "You know what sucks? I'm not sure if I'd be looking for him. If things were switched around, if he'd gone missing, y'know?"

Erica tried to think of how to respond. She didn't come up with anything before they got home.

~~~~~

"Man, I gotta get some new stuff," Cora said, rustling through her closet.

Erica sat on Cora's bed, texting. "I had to go buy more pretty fast, too."

"How's this?" Cora asked, leaning out of the door, holding up a blouse and a skirt.

"You wore those together a couple weeks ago. That really windy day, remember?"

Cora snarled. "So what? It was good enough then!"

"Yeah, but if you wear the same thing again so soon, the other girls'll talk." Cora was learning, just as Erica had, that repeating outfits on a regular basis was a major fashion faux pas. And she only had so many things to mix and match. "Maybe we can hit the mall on Saturday," Erica said.

The small girl whirled and plunged back into the closet, rummaging. Cora paid attention to fashion now, but it was no more than an intellectual attention. She didn't invest in her clothes like most girls. Picking an outfit for school was definitely work, not an opportunity to express herself. "Fucking fine. I haven't worn these together!" She held up the same blouse but a new skirt.

Erica winced. "Those don't go together. They're both prints, anyway, but green and red... nuh uh. Maybe for a Christmas party."

"Well I don't have anything else that goes with it."

Erica took pity and got up from the bed. "Let me take a look."

She examined the options. "Huh. We really need to get you more stuff."

"No shit. That's what I said."

Erica dug around a little. "All right, ditch the blouse, until we can hit the mall. You've only worn this skirt, like, twice. It'll go with this sweater."

Cora glowered. "It's the shortest one."

"Well, it's not all that short, and we're running low on combinations here."

Cora submitted to the inevitable. "Okay, fine, whatever." She asked plaintively, "Can I maybe get some more jeans when we go?"

"I'll check with Mom, but I think maybe." Erica paused. "They're still gonna have to be tight."

"I know," Cora said with infinite resignation as she zipped the skirt up over her rear.

Erica kept flicking through the wardrobe options, planning a shopping strategy as Cora finished adjusting her blouse. "A couple accessories would help, like, freshen this up. You know, belts, bracelets. A vest, even." She paused. "Hair clips or headbands..."

"Stay the fuck away from my hair," Cora snapped. She smiled, a little, to show she wasn't seriously offended. But she had one single minimally-maintained hairstyle - two, if you counted the ponytail she wore when running - and she steadfastly resisted elaboration.

Erica let it go. "Maybe we could splurge on a couple purses. You know, like, high-end."

Cora picked up her simple denim purse. "What's the point? Even if it's not my money. I'm not looking to get attention anyway."

"Expensive clothes aren't about impressing guys. You know they don't give a shit about that stuff. If they can even tell the difference, they're probably gay." She sighed. "Prada and Gucci and all that are about impressing other women."

"I thought I wasn't supposed to stand out." The girls went to the hallway and down the stairs.

"That's what I mean. A nice purse or some bling would draw attention from the rest of your outfit. Give you more variety."

Cora just said "huh" as they made for the door. Erica knew the time had come to drop the subject and let Cora ruminate on her own. She would usually - sooner or later - accept reason if she was allowed to argue herself into it.

~~~~~

Flashing lights appeared behind them. Both girls gasped in surprise and fear. "Oh shit!" Cora squealed, looking down at the speedometer. "I was doing eighty-five!"

There had been ups and downs all day, and they were apparently in for another down.

Shopping for clothes had gone much more smoothly than that first trip. Cora didn't sulk and snap like before. It still was nowhere near as much fun as shopping with her friends.

They'd found a few sweet deals, and Erica was pleased that she'd sold Cora on some shorter skirts and lower necklines and even two pair of tights. For her part, Cora still refused to wear stockings, but she'd been happy to get new jeans and a jean jacket.

As a semi-reward, they'd gone out to see an action, sci-fi movie, and it had been good. It had certainly lifted Cora's spirits... until their status as unaccompanied females at a male-skewed event had drawn the kind of attention Cora did not want.

Two boys had sat next to them, uninvited, and kept trying to strike up a whispered conversation until Cora had dissuaded them, in forceful and explicit terms.

After the boys sulked away, they'd been able to finish the movie in peace. They got hit on again on their way out of the multiplex, but it hadn't dampened Cora's spirits unduly.

Both she and Erica agreed she'd adjusted enough to her new body to safely drive on the freeway, and - after muttering about having to slide the seat all the way forward - she'd been enjoying the ride. Until now.

"Shit shit shit," she babbled as she pulled to the side of the road.

"It's okay, take it easy," Erica said. "No big deal, worst case it's just a ticket." She was trying to reassure herself, though, too. Keeping Cora as far away from police as possible was a standing order from the senior Sisters.

The cop came to the window, and Cora rolled it down. "What's wrong, officer?" she asked, sounding believably nervous.

"License and registration, miss. Do you know how fast you were going?"

Cora bit her lip as she rummaged in her purse. Erica had noticed her start to reach for a nonexistent back pocket, but it was just a split second and she was pretty sure the cop simply figured it was a nervous tic. "I... I'm not sure. I was just keeping up with traffic, I thought."

"Well, miss, I'm afraid I clocked you at 87."

Cora gulped. "I... Please, sir. I don't have any points on my license, and my, my mom'll kill me if I screw up her insurance!"

The officer looked at her for a second, glanced at an equally-apprehensive Erica, and gave a little smile. "Well... tell you what. You don't seem like the repeat offender type. So I suppose I can let you off with a warning this time. But slow down, right, miss?"

"Oh, yes, sir! I promise!" Cora said as she took back her documents. The girls were very quiet for a few moments as she got back underway.

As she merged, Cora frowned; Erica refrained from commenting on how cute she looked. "Did he... was that..."

"Yes," Erica smiled, "what you think happened just happened. A cute girl asked him for a favor, and he let her off."

"That's... so unfair!"

Erica almost sighed. Cora nearly always looked at things from a male perspective. Like now, not taking into account all the 'unfair' advantages men got. "You said you brought out everybody's protective side." Cora kept her eyes on the road. "Comes in handy sometimes, huh?"

"Whatever," Cora said, apparently not even realizing how girlish she sounded.

~~~~~

"Pffft." Cora blew some stray hairs off her lips, and brushed them back with her fingertips. A second later they fell forward again as she studied her textbook.

She made a wordless growl and looked to Erica. "You got a fuckin' scrunchie or something?"

"Nope, sorry."

Cora huffed, stood, and paced over to her purse on the counter. "Where the fuck do they disappear to?" A moment of rummaging turned up a hairband, which she applied with sure, practiced speed. Not many of her girlish skills were so polished, but keeping hair out of her face was one of Cora's passions.

She sat back down at the kitchen table with what could only be termed a flounce. "You know what else I hate? It gets in everything. Wrapped on my soap, stuck on my clothes, even in my shoes!" She didn't quite snort, but close. "It's like I shed as much as a dog now. After I shower, I have to pull hairs outa my buttcrack!"

"You just see them more when they're longer," Erica said.

"Maybe, but if I were still a guy I'd think I was going bald."

"It's not that big a deal," Erica said, letting some of her annoyance show. "And you look good with long hair." She was just irritated enough to say what she really thought. "Actually, you'd probably look older if you let it grow past your shoulders a little."

Cora's frown showed she'd thought of that, too. But she said, "Not worth it."

"You could at least try..."

Erica wasn't the only one feeling annoyance, it turned out. Cora snarled. "I've tried a lot of fucking things the last couple months, y'know. I thought I was allowed to actually not like some stuff!"

That took Erica aback. Especially under the circumstances, Cora had made a lot of progress. She wasn't even being unreasonable. After all, most birth-girls got attached to particular hairstyles. She was allowed to prefer shorter hair.

But Cora wasn't done. "I have to try every single girly thing, at, like, 'maximum girlyness'. Maybe you never saw a frilly sparkly whatever you didn't like, but... but I'm not that kind of girl!"

She seemed to wind down at that point. Erica hesitated, licked her lips, and said, "You're right. I do kinda like doing girl stuff, it's easier for me. But even I don't love all of it."

"Name one." Cora was squinting. A test, not an indignant challenge.

That wasn't too hard. "Having to be careful how you suggest things to guys, like in class and stuff."

To Erica's relief, Cora nodded thoughtfully. "I say the same things Cory did and I'm suddenly a bitch." Then she cocked her head and said, "From what I've seen, Sisters tend to be pretty enthusiastic about being feminine."

Not quite sure if it was a tangent or not, Erica said "Yeah?"

Cora didn't seem angry anymore. "Something my dad said once at church. 'Nobody's more zealous than a convert.'" She shook her head. "You all got the sales pitch, and signed up. I dunno if I'll ever be that 'devout'."

Erica took a deep breath. "I don't think you hafta be thrilled. Just... okay with it." She took Cora's hand. "My Mom said I could change back if I wanted. I don't think she was lying. Sounds like some Sisters do change back."

Cora's dark eyes peered into her own. Erica went on. "She said I could decide I'd be happiest as a boy. So far as I can tell, you don't have to think being a girl is the bestest thing ever. You just gotta... not hate it. Be okay with it."

Cora chewed her lip, a very cute mannerism Erica studiously ignored. "I still got work to do on not hating it." She inhaled, exhaled, gave Erica's hand a squeeze, then let go and turned back to her book. "Well, I got a quiz tomorrow."

Erica knew it was time to back off and let her process. She resumed her own studying with just an occasional glance Cora's way.

~~~~~

Jacqui let out a deep breath. She was centered, ready. Her cell sat lightly in her lap. She allowed her Magical attention to focus on it, as her finger tapped an icon.

Computers were not minds. They certainly were not alive. And yet, an adept with the right inclination could use them Magically, could allow spells and technology to interact in many ways. This was an app she'd written herself, and she channeled her power into it.

Jacqui would not betray her oath even so far as to Find her target mentally... but that was unnecessary. Sympathetic Magic and cell networks resonated together, and in seconds Jacqui knew precisely where Cora's phone was.

From that base, she searched outward. Her senses brushed past Cora's aura and settled on another nearby. Young, female as well. Jacqui probed further, skating along surface thoughts, getting a sense of the situation...

Jacinta squinted. "Nah. Try these," she said, handing a new pair of shoes to Cora. She'd finagled the girl into coming shoe shopping with her after choir practice instead of taking her straight home.

At first, she'd just planned on being nice to Cora, a little out of pity. She was so pretty, and yet so awkward and shy and cautious. And she had no idea how to present herself! Suggesting Gabriela should invite her to the Mary Kay party had been almost an act of mercy.

As she'd gotten to know her, though, she'd come to appreciate the quirky sense of humor hiding behind the suspicious eyes. And Cora refused to play many of the social games other girls did, shifting alliances almost on a whim. When she'd told Cora who her crush was, Jacinta had somehow known the girl would never use that information to embarrass her later.

And Cora was really smart. Not just geek-smart, although Jacinta's phone and netbook were running better than ever since Cora had cleaned them up. She was twisty, too - she'd managed to help Gabriela figure out which of her friends was talking to Soleil about her, by having her tell each one a different minor secret and seeing which one came back. A "barium meal test", she called it. Some kind of spy thing.

For all that she liked spy novels and computers and sports, Cora wouldn't have anything to do with boys, though. Jacinta wondered if maybe she'd been abused, or assaulted, or something. It would explain her shyness, her trust issues. Why she almost seemed to wish she wasn't a girl, sometimes. But because of those trust issues, Jacinta didn't dare ask, yet. All she could do for now was be a good friend.

And maybe help her enjoy being a girl once in a while.

So, encouragement time. "Yeah, those work. They'll go sweet with that new blouse you wore yesterday."

Cora nodded but frowned, taking a few steps. "I dunno. The heels are pretty high."

Jacinta shrugged. "They give you a good walk. And they make you look taller."

That last seemed to get the girl's attention. "Huh," she muttered, eyes gauging her height as she walked over to a mirror. Jacinta suppressed a jealous sigh. Cora's gait was better than 'good' in those heels. How could such slim hips rock like that? That skinny waist must be part of it.

Jacinta let it go. "Put 'em in the cart. Maybe we should look at purses, too."

Out of nowhere, Cora gave her a sharp and suspicious glare. "Wait. Did Erica put you up to this?"

Jacinta said, quite honestly, "What? No! Put me up to what?"

Cora frowned for another second, then looked away and chewed her lip. After another second, she said, "Sorry. It's just, Erica said I needed a new purse too, last week."

It was Jacinta's turn to glare. "Like, I barely even know her! Maybe she said it 'cause you really do need a couple new fucking purses!"

Cora shrank in on herself. "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry! I know I'm kinda... y'know, prickly sometimes. I'm sorry."

It was weird. Most girls would be more... emphatic about an apology. More hand movements, an 'ohmigod' or two. But Cora just looked miserable. She wasn't overselling it... and that, ironically, convinced Jacinta she meant it.

"Oh, okay." She came up and gave Cora a quick hug. "But quit spazzing out, all right?" She smiled to soften the words.

"Hey," Cora began, then hesitated. After a second, she shouldered on. "Um, thanks for, y'know, helping me. With clothes and stuff."

"No prob."

"Just... gimme time, sometimes. I'm not, like... always comfortable with that stuff."

Jacinta was right on the verge of asking why, but pulled back. If she showed she wouldn't pry, Cora might eventually trust her not to spill, too. "Let's go find you a purse."

...the vision faded, Jacqui returned to herself. She wasn't thrilled about spying on those close to Cora, but she was forbidden to peek directly on her subject. And it was useful anyway to see how others perceived the Sister, particularly when she was away from the Jardins.

Jacqui was especially grateful she'd witnessed that scene. "Thank the Goddess," she breathed. Jacinta taking an interest in Cora was a huge blessing; unlooked-for good fortune. Perhaps the first sign the Goddess was working to make the situation right.

~~~~~

It was a good opportunity. Calc class was starting late, the teacher had to go re-print some handouts. And Brandon was excused for some Track thing for the afternoon. "Wow, you look good today!" Danielle said, with just the right amount of insincerity. "You musta spent time on your makeup this morning."

Cora looked up from her book, startled. She squinted at her, obviously confused. "Same as usual."

"Oh," Danielle said. "My mistake. Don't know what it is. Not like you got new clothes or anything." She shook her head.

Cora shrugged. "Well, thanks anyway." After a beat, she said, "You look good, too." She turned back to her book.

The girl was such a lameass she didn't even know when she was being dissed. Danielle decided she'd have to escalate. "I can see why you don't bother much with new clothes. Your tits are so small, you can't really do a lot with 'em."

Cora's eyes slewed back to Danielle. She actually looked surprised. At least she finally seemed to understand what was going on. The girl needed to be put in her place, before she got any ideas. Danielle had noticed the way Brandon had looked at her a couple times.

It took her a beat to answer. "Don't need to." The other girls nearby were watching and listening now.

Danielle wasn't sure Cora had spotted that. But she played to the audience. "Well, they match that skinny little butt," she said, not bothering with subtlety now.

Cora was frowning. The problem was, it was an annoyed frown, not an insulted one. For all her bluntness, Danielle hadn't managed to get under the girl's skin yet. It was infuriating. Like cutting fog. Nothing to get hold of, it was like Cora didn't even care if she looked good or not.

Or maybe it was that she knew she looked good, even just doing the bare minimum. Fuck, she was pretty hot even though she seemed to be trying to downplay her looks.

But Cora was paying attention now. "It's easier for me. Where do you find bras with two different cup sizes like that?"

Danielle's jaw tightened. Her breasts were not lopsided!

Angered now, she stabbed hard. "I bet it's easier. Not like you want boys to look, right?"

She was gratified to see Cora's jaw tighten. But then the teacher came back in, cutting things short. It wasn't a victory, but she hadn't lost.

~~~~~

The senior Sisters met in person for lunch again. It was even at the same café as that fateful day, but the women were much more somber.

"She questions everything, and she won't accept that some things need to be taught in order," Miranda groused.

"Some of that must be her anger talking." Jacqui looked at her Mother. "Even when I was the most hurt and angry, I still loved you. Deep down, I still wanted to trust you. That's why it hurt so much, because I wasn't sure if I still could." Frustration made her shake her head. "Cora doesn't even have that. Erica's the only Sister she halfway trusts."

Miranda nodded. "They make love every night. And Erica... we haven't shared a bed since Cora's Transformation." She looked forlorn.

"The relationship between Mothers and Daughters in the Sisterhood is a precious privilege," Bronwyn lectured sharply. "It can only be justified, be earned, if it is for the Daughter's good, and as she wills."

"I know that now is not the time, I know that," Miranda insisted. "But... I miss the intimacy. I feel so far from her these days."

"I understand," Laurie said in her comforting manner. "It was almost a year before Jacqui was ready to have that kind of relationship with me." Her eyes shot unspoken gratitude to Bronwyn for helping to bring about that rapprochement. "Give it time. Both girls have a lot to process, and Erica's tending to her friend right now."

"It's not just for my sake," Miranda pointed out. "Erica... I'm worried. She had just begun showing an interest in boys!"

"Cora needs a sexual outlet, and even more, a friend she can trust." Bronwyn shrugged. "I think we have to sacrifice Erica's forward progress to allow Cora the chance to progress at all." Responding to Miranda's alarmed expression, she put her hand on the witch's shoulder. "Only in some areas, and only for a while."

"Eventually, Cora will start being interested in boys, too. She's got a Transformed body, it's unavoidable." A bit of strained laughter broke out among the Sisters; each reminiscing about the ways they'd discovered that truth. Then Jacqui sighed. "It'll probably take her longer than most Sisters, though."

"Do you think we might need to set up a 'Bonnie'?" Bronwyn asked. "She certainly helped you," she added with a small grin on her face.

"Ah, yes, she did," Jacqui chuckled. "What, do you want to get your hands on Cora's tight little body, too?"

Bronwyn laughed herself. "I admit that wouldn't be all bad; she's such a beautiful little thing," the woman chuckled. Then she continued more seriously, "But leaving aside how Cora would react to such a deception on my part, I don't think I'm the right fit. We could try to find another Sister, a younger one who doesn't have a child to care for yet..."

Laurie tsked. "Perhaps later. I think Cora's a little fixated on Erica right now. And she's already helping Cora in so many other ways, adding boys on top of that would be too much," She cocked her head. "Might we be able to get this Jacinta girl to act as a 'Bonnie' for Cora, though, do you think? With respect to boys, I mean."

They gave that some thought. "Not yet." Jacqui concluded. "It's too soon anyway. We'd better keep both ideas in reserve, though."

"We need every idea we can get," Miranda agreed, dejected.

~~~~~

"Cora? Cora, where are you?" Erica called, worried. "Mom says we need to get going!" They were all going out to dinner to celebrate Haylie's soccer team winning their last game.

No answer came. She peeked in their room, and moved down the hall. She was sure Cora had come upstairs a while ago. She knocked on the next door, and tried the handle. Unlocked. She opened the door, and there was Cora.

The girl sat on the floor of the bathroom, sniffling. Though she wasn't bawling now, the lines in her makeup showed she'd been crying a river not too long ago.

"Goddess, Cora, what's wrong?" Erica cried out.

She looked up wearily. "I just wanted to pee real quick. So I came in here..." She looked at the window. "...and I lifted the seat up."

"Oh," Erica said. "Oh, Cora, I'm sorry..." She knelt down next to her friend and hugged her.

Cora's voice shook a little, but no more tears flowed. "It just all hit me, how everything's changed. Everything I've lost."

The girls just sat for a time, hugging.

"Isn't there anything you've gained?"

Cora just sat for several seconds. "A whole lot of experience, I guess." She laughed - weakly, but it gave Erica some hope - and said, "Cory'll probably be the perfect boyfriend when this is all over."

Erica remembered Eric thinking something like that, once. "C'mon, let's get up."

The two girls stood, and held hands for a second. Then Cora said, sounding a little embarrassed, "Well, I still gotta pee."

They both laughed. Erica went to the door, saying, "I'll go tell Mom you're fixing your makeup."

Cora, who'd been hiking up her skirt, turned and looked in the mirror. "Oh, yeah, that too."

~~~~~

Cora sagged into the passenger seat of the Jardin's car and closed the door. Erica waited until she fastened her seat belt, then she pulled out onto the road.

"I hereby apologize to all waitresses everywhere. Shit, I never knew how bad they had it." Cora sounded exhausted.

"Everybody should spend some time waiting on tables. Be a lot better tips, that's for sure," Erica commiserated.

"Those fucking asshole cocksucking douchebags in ten!" Cora shouted with a flicker of energy. "I brought them everything they wanted, I took care of them just fine, and for what? A two dollar tip?" She made a wordless growl of frustration. "Not even five percent!"

"That sucks," Erica said sympathetically. Cora was intelligent and had adapted with reasonable speed to the technical details of waiting on tables; the numbering system, the protocol for communicating orders to the cooks, and so forth. Her first day, she'd overestimated her strength and tried to carry too many orders at once, and dropped the whole tray. She'd reconciled herself to multiple trips since then. In any objective sense, Cora was a competent and dutiful waitress.

Her tips lagged anyway. It was in the subjective, interpersonal areas that Cora had trouble. To be sure, she was never rude or remotely impolite. Yet her appearance and personality came across as disjoint. People expected a young girl, especially a slighter one, to be a trifle more... chipper, bubbly. Cora's manner was too matter-of-fact and businesslike for many customers' liking.

And she simply could not process flirtatious banter. Ninety percent of that stuff was just meant in fun; a good-natured smile and roll of the eyes was all the response needed. But Cora just shut down in situations like that.

Then again, some people were plain old jerks. Erica agreed completely with Cora's estimate of the crowd in booth number ten. Waiters and waitresses made almost nothing directly; much less than minimum wage, in fact. Tips were their lifeblood, and few people understood that - or cared. Cora might not have earned a huge tip, but she had definitely deserved her fifteen percent.

~~~~~

"Fucking girl shoes." Cora groused as they waited for the bus. "My feet get cold. It's like wearing sandals!"

Erica was facing forward, and had her hoodie up, so she could safely roll her eyes. For Cora's benefit she gave a whatcha-gonna-do shrug.

Cora wasn't done. "And another thing. I hate all the clacking when I walk. You just can't be quiet in these stupid things!"

Erica had nothing to say.

Cora didn't take the hint. "The only time high heels don't bug me is going up stairs. But cripes, how the fuck do you go down stairs in them?"

She couldn't keep it in any longer. "So why'd you start wearing 'em?" Erica asked. Actually, she'd been wondering.

Cora snorted. "So I look more'n five foot tall!" A moment later, she conceded, "Jacinta said I should try 'em."

"You could wear pumps with some heel. I know you've got some," Erica said.

"I've been," Cora protested. "But I can't wear the same thing all the time. You said that."

Erica was relieved for once to see the bus coming.

~~~~~

Erica sat at a bench after practice, a little ice on her knee. It was just a precaution; she didn't think it was any more serious than a twinge. Still, she almost laughed at herself for her - for Eric's - old misconceptions that cheerleading wasn't a serious athletic endeavor.

She was just talking with her friends. "Hope Cora gets here soon," she said as she checked the time on her phone.

Trahn gave her a pensive look. "Your cousin is weird. Does she, like, have autism or something?"

"Nah. She's just... Cora."

"I've caught her looking at me in the locker room." Shianti said it flatly, with certainty.

"What?" Erica said, shocked. She tried very hard to make it look like it was for a different reason. "I can't believe that. She wouldn't... she never..."

"Sure looked like it."

"She never did anything like that with me," Erica lied boldly.

Trahn shrugged, unimpressed. "Well, you're her cousin."

Shianti scoffed. "Not that that matters to some bitches."

Erica peered at Shianti, foreboding growing. "What's that s'posed to mean?"

Shianti sighed, then admitted, "Rebecca made a joke about you two being 'scissor cousins'."

Erica's jaw dropped.

Trahn interposed quickly. "It wasn't really about you. Becca's friends with Danielle. You know she doesn't like Cora."

"What a bitch!" Erica exclaimed. "But it's stupid. Nobody'd believe it anyway," she went on, praying her friends would back that up.

"Hey, we know you." She shrugged helplessly. "But other girls... y'know, they talk. About how you've never had any boyfriends."

Erica's jaw flopped open again.

Melanie rushed to support her. "Like she said, we know you."

"Thanks," Erica said sincerely. Just as sincerely, she prayed her friends would never know her too well.

~~~~~

For once, Erica brought up the serious topic when they were alone in the car.

"You're gonna need to be careful," Erica said. "I heard today some girls have seen you checking them out."

Cora stiffened, jerked her head to look at Erica. "I wasn't... I wouldn't..." After a moment, she gave up and stared forward at the road, not even trying to deny it. "Danielle said something like that a couple days ago. I thought she was just making shit up." She inhaled, exhaled. "I did check her out, the first couple times in gym."

"Hey, I know. I still look, too. But..." She paused. "Look, you know when a guy's checking you out, right?"

A little more of Cora's embarrassment melted into anger. "Fuck yeah."

"Well, girls don't expect it from other girls, but they've got good reflexes. They have to, you know."

Cora's mouth thinned, but she nodded. "Okay, I'll watch it. I mean, I won't watch it."

Erica grinned. "Not as much, anyway. Or at least, as long."

Cora actually managed to smile back at that.

~~~~~

Cora retained far more of an interest in videogames than Erica had. She didn't play online as much, but she still racked up a few hours a week on Erica's console.

Miranda and Erica wondered sometimes. Of particular concern was the fact that she picked male avatars whenever possible.

~~~~~

Haylie was at soccer practice, Cora was at choir practice, and Miranda and Erica were in the kitchen, the heart of the Jardin home. They were sharing some herbal tea.

Erica began. "Mom, I'm worried about Cora."

Miranda sighed. "Is there something new to worry about, dear? Or just the ongoing problems?"

"Not new, exactly, but... I was thinking about what you told me about acclimating. How being a girl needs to be a reward instead of a challenge." She paused. "Do you really think Cora can ever get there?"

Miranda suppressed a groan. "I've had my doubts, sometimes. Lately, though... I think so. I think it will be a long, difficult road. At least for the next few years. But with the Goddess' help..." She ran down.

"She's working to Transition. You can see it. But..." Erica ran down, for a moment, too. Then she pressed on. "But it's work. She's trying to become a girl because she has to, not because she wants to."

Miranda searched for words. As usual, cooking metaphors leapt to mind. "She's just following the recipes we give her. A half cup of skirts, a teaspoon of makeup, strain out the curse words, stir in some talking about feelings." Erica nodded thoughtfully, eyes narrowed. "You can make a good meal by following a recipe. But you can't become a great cook that way. We need her to come up with her own combinations, find her own tastes, develop her own style."

"To learn how to follow her instincts," Erica said, thinking of Jacqui's words.

"Yes. Somehow, we need to get her to find something enjoyable in her new role." Erica looked away. "Besides sex, of course."

~~~~~

It was evening, and Erica sat on her bed, finishing the last of her homework. Cora stood looking in the mirror, idly posing and playing with her hair in different positions. It might have looked like something any girl might do... but Erica knew Cora was still learning what she looked like.

She turned and pursed her lips at her profile. "I get turned into a girl and I don't even get real boobs to play with. I'm a goddamn waif!"

"Oh, get over yourself. I think your tits look great. And I wish I knew where you put all the food you eat." Erica closed her laptop and put it aside.

She understood now how Haylie had felt. Cora had so many things girls longed for, which she resolutely failed to appreciate. She had strong black hair immune to frizz, that didn't really even need conditioner. She had smooth clean skin somehow both impervious to acne and yet not needing regular moisturizer. She had piercing bright eyes and full rosy lips. Even her nails grew strong, and fairly quickly. And, unkindest cut of all, she possessed a metabolism that would apparently let her eat as much as she liked while remaining slim.

Well, okay, she runs a lot. And she does have those crappy periods, I guess. Erica wasn't sure if that made up for the rest.

Cora walked slowly back to the bed, intentions transparent even before she opened her mouth. "Well, guess I'll have to settle for your boobs."

They kissed on Erica's bed, entwined with each other. Sometimes they'd get right down to business, sometimes they'd take it slow. This time, Cora nuzzled Erica and whispered, "Man, I don't know how you made it, before. I'd probably have got arrested for sexual assault if I didn't have you play with." She smiled and tweaked Erica's nipples through her t-shirt. "Maybe Shianti. Her tits are almost as good as yours."

Erica giggled and snuggled close. "Well, I didn't get along all on my own. Mom helped."

It took a moment. Erica's guts dropped over what she'd just said a split second before she felt Cora stiffen in her arms. "Your Mom?"

Cora pushed Erica away and sat up, eyes very wide indeed. "Your Mom? What the fuck! Your Mom?!"

"It's..." Erica began. "I... You know the Sisterhood is really old. Like, 'dawn of time' old." Cora kept staring. "She just... It wasn't forced. I was, uh, surprised, but she didn't..."

Cora was squinting now. "She seduced you?"

"It wasn't..." Erica paused. "Well, kinda. But it... She didn't force me or anything. I had a choice."

"Like when she asked if you wanted to stay a girl?"

Erica didn't know what to say.

Cora was staring at the wall. "It's a classic thing. For brainwashing, I mean. Get the new recruit to do something, like, taboo. Unspeakable." Erica drew breath to interrupt, but Cora kept going. "Makes them loyal. If they leave, if they decide the group's wrong, it means they were wrong too."

"It wasn't like that! Mom wouldn't do that!"

Cora didn't even turn. "Doesn't need to be a conscious thing. It can just be a tradition, not something anybody has to, like, plan out. It just has that effect."

"Mom wasn't trying brainwash me!" Erica was near tears.

Cora shrugged. "But if she didn't have sex with you, it'd mean her Mom made a mistake."

Erica felt sick. Cora had it all wrong, but she didn't know how to put it into words. Cora hadn't gone months with only her hands to help the pressure. Mom loved her, she knew that.

"How long has it been going on?" Cora sounded only a little curious.

"It's not 'going on'. We haven't done anything. Not since you were Transformed."

"Waiting for the right time to spring it on me?"

"We wouldn't... my Mom never forced me to do anything! And I know she wouldn't do that to you!" She shook her head. "I'd never let anyone do anything like that. Not to you, not to me."

Cora just sat there for a moment. Then she stood up slowly. "I think I need to be alone for a while."

"Okay," Erica said softly.

Cora walked out without looking back.

~~~~~

Erica snuck downstairs twenty minutes later, once she'd finished crying. As briefly and unemotionally as possible, she told her Mother what Cora had learned, and how she'd responded.

Miranda's face grew very grave. She closed her eyes for a few moments. When she opened them again, she said, "Let's go to the library."

In that room, Miranda unlocked the computer. A Skype invitation from Jacqui had already arrived. Erica supposed there'd been some telepathic coordination in the last minute or two.

Once the call was set up, equally somber Sisters appeared on the screen. Briefly, they questioned Erica and got the details of the conversation. A strained pause developed. Erica didn't look Miranda's way.

Finally Bronwyn spoke. "Since when did Cora get to be a brainwashing expert?"

"She's been studying psychology a lot." Jacqui would develop worry lines at this rate. "I thought maybe she was just trying, in her own way, to understand the Transition." Her frown had turned into a scowl. "But if she wanted to fight it, the same info would be just as useful..."

Erica spoke up. "So... was Cora right at all? I mean, about why Sisters and their Mothers... you know." She still couldn't look at her Mom. She sensed her stiffen, heard her muffled gasp anyway.

"No!" Jacqui and Laurie exploded, Bronwyn scarcely a moment later, overlapping.

After a brief pause, Bronwyn spoke. "The... tradition does have a... a bonding effect. Somewhat, I suppose. But it's not what it's for." She shook her head. "It's policed carefully, and you know we Sisters can be more certain of psychological effects than anyone."

"Policed?" Erica asked softly.

Bronwyn looked at her out of the screen, assessing. "Mothers are in charge of introducing their Daughters to the Sisterhood, and given wide latitude. But there are occasional... checkups. Especially in this area."

Erica did some assessing herself for a few moments. The Sisters waited silently. "So... which one of you has been checking out my... my sexual attitudes?"

"I took that responsibility," Bronwyn said immediately. "May I point something out, before we get too far off from Cora?" At Erica's nod, she continued. "Has your Mother put any pressure on you about this since Cora's Transformation? Even hinted at it?"

Erica finally looked at Miranda. "No," she said.

As Mother and Daughter regarded each other, Bronwyn spoke on. "Trust and choice are fundamental to sex in the Sisterhood. You know this, because of how you were raised. We know - and Miranda most especially knows - that others besides Cora have had their trust shaken by all of this." She sighed. "And now Cora's trust has suffered another blow. I hope yours has not been hurt too."

Erica's eyes dropped. "I'm gonna have to think about this." She turned back to the screen and the conferencing Sisters. "But Cora's more important right now. What are we gonna do?"

Laurie spoke gently. "The only way to build trust is to be trustworthy. We keep helping her."

~~~~~

The next morning was a very quiet one. The conversation over the breakfast table was almost monosyllabic. Haylie talked a little, but grew quiet, sensing the tension but in the dark about the reasons.

That night Cora and Miranda avoided each other until it was time for deportment lessons. Those had dropped to bi-weekly affairs that covered more advanced and rarefied etiquette and body language.

Cora had gradually become almost reconciled to them since the confrontation. That night she wasn't. She was cold and remote to Miranda, just short of overtly hostile.

Her mood was not helped by the raging yeast infection she suffered. The Magical concoction that Miranda provided cleared it up in a single day, yet Cora sulked for nearly a week. Even when Erica, exasperated, explained that the non-magical medications usually made the symptoms worse before they got better.

It certainly helped reinforce the hygiene lessons, at least. She'd been getting slightly lax in that area. But the relationship between Cora and Miranda had suffered a major setback.

~~~~~

"Get in there! If you're gonna block, block!" Cora shouted, turning back around.

Haylie panted. "This ain't... hockey... it's soccer!" With the large garden out back - almost a small farm - there wasn't room for a proper soccer practice in the Jardin's yard. The subdivision had a small park that they were using. Haylie's skills - and on-field aggression - had sharpened markedly under Cora's instruction.

Cora grinned. "I didn't say 'kill', I said 'block'."
She set up for another run past the girl.

Haylie hunched down. "You still play like a boy."

Cora shrugged, smiling, eyes on Haylie's feet as she tensed. "It's soccer. Ain't no 'boy soccer' or 'girl soccer'. Especially at your age."

Haylie stopped still, and gave Cora a Look. "What about later?"

Cora paused, looking up, confused. "What do you mean?" Under the girl's stare, she squinted. "Okay, yeah, boys get bigger and stronger... after, y'know, like, puberty. Most women... well, they can't..." She trailed off.

"How about brains?"

Cora looked completely confused now. "Wait, what the f... I mean, what did I say? I don't..."

Haylie said, very slowly, "You were always avoiding Erica before. Before you were Transformed, I mean."

Cora didn't say anything, and just stared blankly at Haylie.

Haylie went on, a little carefully now. "We thought you had something against girls. Like, girls doing boy stuff. Computers and sports and stuff."

Cora frowned and peered narrowly at Haylie, obviously choosing her words carefully. "Look, your Mom asked me not to... you should probably talk to her..." Haylie kept staring.

Cora sighed. "Oh, fuck it." She shrugged. "Look, I got nothing against girls 'doing boy stuff' or anything like that. What it was, was... I didn't quite figure everything out, but I knew something seriously, uh, screwy was going on. With her."

"You remembered her as Eric?" After she said it, Haylie realized the thought of her sibling as a Sister was far more natural than as a brother anymore. Like Eric had been Erica in disguise.

"No. I just, y'know, had a feeling something was off about her. But I wasn't ducking her just 'cause she was a girl, okay?"

Haylie was feeling very strange. She didn't like the idea that her Mom's Magic couldn't take care of everything. But she had to ask. "So girls are as good as boys, right?"

"Sure."

"So..." Haylie paused, then blurted it out. "So why are you so mad about being a girl? What's so bad about it?"

Cora had frozen before Haylie was halfway through asking. Her hands had curled into fists. After a few moments she seemed to deliberately open them, consciously breathe slowly.

Cora stared off at the horizon for a while. "It's like... like trying to wear shoes that don't fit. All the time, no matter how much it hurts." She sighed. "I gotta admit, some of it was, like, prejudice. At first, I mean. I found out that Cory does kinda look down on girls, a little. But..."

After a few seconds, Haylie said, "But what?"

Cora still didn't answer for a bit. Then she said, softly, "But I've been learning." She looked at Haylie. "Being a girl isn't bad, exactly. Not, like... in an absolute sense. I guess I can kinda see how somebody could be into that. But it's just... it feels wrong for me."

Haylie struggled for something to say. "Well... Mom and Erica say you can change back once you sorta get used to it."

Cora was shaking her head. "Yeah, but by then, it'll be like my feet grew into different shoes. When I change back... will my old shoes fit? Ever again?"

Haylie chewed her lip. "Oh," she said, as softly as Cora.

Cora looked at the ground for a few moments. "Ask your Mom if you want. I don't really wanna talk about it anymore." Then she looked up. Haylie could see that she was holding back tears. Haylie's eyes were getting a little red, too. But Cora squared her shoulders. "Anyway, we still gotta work on your blocks."

They quit shortly after that, though, and didn't speak on the way home.

~~~~~

"What the fuck?" Cora mumbled, looking down at the laundry she was folding.

Miranda and Erica traded a swift glance, their own clothes in hand. Cora's swearing had diminished from the early days, but was still quite a ways from 'ladylike'. Unfortunately she'd been so hostile to Miranda lately that confronting her about it right now would probably trigger another fight.

Instead, Erica asked, "What's wrong?"

"Check it out." Cora held up some dark blue panties, showing the inside of the crotch. The color was faded in an irregular blotch. "I swear, I didn't use any bleach on the darks."

Miranda shrugged. "It's probably just discharge."

"Hey! I wipe! Just like I'm supposed to!" Cora said, indignantly.

"A little leakage is natural. The vagina cleaning itself." Miranda spread her hands helplessly, a brassiere dangling from one.

"The pH in there is kinda low, actually," Erica put in. She'd Googled such things early in her Transition. "Helps keep the wrong stuff from growing."

Cora just stared. "Wait, what?" She looked down at the faded spot and back up to Miranda. "Are you saying my, my pussy juice did this?"

"It happens." Another shrug from Miranda. "You might consider a light liner if you're going to wear dark panties all day."

Cora looked stunned. "You mean... the goddamn thing drips acid, on the regular?"

Erica couldn't help rolling her eyes. "Oh, get over yourself! You're not a frickin' Xenomorph!" After a beat, she added, "Dicks leak too, y'know. Usually leftover pee. Or was yours magic?"

Somewhat to Erica's surprise, Cora didn't return fire. She just sullenly returned to folding her clothes, muttering to herself. "Liners, even when it's not my period. Fucking awesome."

Neither of the Jardins saw any use in pursuing the conversation.

~~~~~

For once, it was Erica who waited until after the bus ride to bring up a topic. "I heard you've been talking to Brandon."

Cora looked at her sideways. "Yeah, in calc. How'd you know?"

"Melanie heard it from Erin, heard it from Sunny."

Cora just shrugged. "It's not like I'm not allowed to talk to boys. Sometimes I think your Mom wants me to spend more time with guys."

"Well, yeah, but..." Erica paused, considering her words carefully. "He's, like, still wondering about Cory. I don't think it's such a hot idea to spend too much time with him."

Cora shrugged. "What's he gonna think? Even I didn't think you were a boy turned into a girl."

"But you don't remember Eric."

Cora grunted in frustration. "I look in a mirror, and I don't recognize me. Cory sure doesn't." She caught Erica's eyes, and held them with her own. "Maybe I'm not much of a girl yet, but you gotta admit, I don't much act like Cory anymore, either."

Cora looked sour now. "And there's another thing. All the guys Cory was friends with, there's three, only three, that haven't hit on me. Brandon, Tanor, and Luis." She sighed. "Tanor's gay, and Luis looks at me. He just doesn't have the guts to ask."

Erica scoffed. "I bet Brandon checks you out sometimes."

"Yeah, but he doesn't do it all, y'know, creeptastic." Cora's head shook. "If Cory hadn't known Luis, I'd be a little scared. But I know he ain't gonna attack me, so I'm just kinda grossed out."

Cora looked earnestly in Erica's eyes. "I'll go crazy if I can't talk to a boy once in a frickin' while. And Brandon... okay, he looks sometimes, but he's not a dick about it."

Erica couldn't dispute that. "Still, I dunno. It just seems kinda risky."

"Yeah, well, there's another thing. Because he's still wondering about Cory." Erica looked at her, puzzled. Cora spoke on, with a little irritation. "Maybe I can help, y'know, put him off-track. So he doesn't end up like me. Or worse."

Erica thought about Suggestions and couldn't come up with anything to say.
~~~~~

Bronwyn and the Donovans visited one Sunday for a time, looking to evaluate the situation in person. A joint Magic training session was held. Haylie, Lani, and Alice were sent to play outside, and the older girls were quizzed a bit, asked to demonstrate their progress. Cora wasn't friendly to any of them, but Miranda, as usual, came in for particular surliness and rudeness.

When the ladies took a drink break, Cora took the opportunity to quiz back. "While I've got you all here..." she began. The women looked at her expectantly. "Something's been bugging me. You said I'm 'the girl I would have been'. But what does that mean? It's not just one gene that makes you a girl, it's a whole chromosome, with tons of genes. If I'm double-X instead of XY... where'd that other X come from?"

Miranda and Laurie shrugged helplessly.

"I'll field this one," Jacqui interceded. "I wondered about that, too, and did some checking. Magic is Magic and science is science, but there are... intersections." She thought for a moment, trying to express things accurately. "You're partly right. In the Transformation, the Sister actually does keep all the other chromosomes constant. Only the Y gets, well, 'swapped out'."

"But what gets 'swapped in'?" Cora was dubious.

"I'm getting to that. It's the father's X chromosome. You're the girl you would have been if the sperm that went into making you had held an X instead of a Y."

"My father's dead. What, you reach back in time and snag an X from the guy?"

"In effect... yes."

Cora absorbed that for a moment, but the frown remained. "Still, there's more than genes involved. There's a whole, like, developmental history..."

Jacqui sighed. "Yes, but that's all worked out in the spell. Pathways, nutrition, gene activation - it seems like the best combination gets chosen."

"'Chosen'?" Cora pounced. "The spell chooses?"

"Well, we believe the Goddess chooses. Things always seem to work out for the best." She smiled. "It does explain why Sisters all tend to be above average in looks and brains and health." Along with horniness and fertility, she thought to herself. Best not to point that out at this juncture, though. "You're not exactly the girl you would've been. You're actually the best girl you could've been."

"'The best', huh?" Cora muttered darkly. "Whose idea of 'best'?"

"I beg your pardon?" Jacqui blinked.

Cora's gaze moved among the witches as she stood. "I was just wondering. I'm so fu... freaking tiny now I'd blow away in a strong wind. It occurs to me that maybe Miranda here stacked the deck a little, to make me less of a threat." She pointed at Erica's Mother.

It was obvious that Jacqui was reining in her annoyance. "Cora, please understand. All else being equal - and that is precisely the case here - women are naturally smaller than men. Genetics is complex and everything's intertwined and unpredictable. The same genes do different things in males and females. I used to be over six feet tall with pale skin."

The five-foot-six, olive-skinned beauty got up too, and began pacing. "I know this wasn't your choice, and I understand your anger. Better than you realize. But you don't need to invent new reasons to stay angry at Miranda." She sighed. "It's not fair..." She waved down Cora before the girl could object, "...and even if you don't care about that, you should care that it's getting in the way of your restoration."

Now there was no restraint at all, in expression or in tone of voice. Jacqui could project cold fury with the best of them. "And it's making your friend miserable."

Cora had been in the middle of a slow boil, winding up for a scathing retort. But her mouth snapped shut at that, and she glanced guiltily at Erica, who met her eyes and, after a second, nodded mournfully.

The involuntary Transformee jerked her eyes to the floor and seemed to shrink in on herself. In that moment she actually looked like the poor lost waif she always complained of resembling.

Erica stood and stepped to Cora's side. She put an arm around her shoulders. "When you hurt her, you hurt me, too. And you hurt yourself." It was a tenet of the Goddess's teachings Erica had come to believe fervently.

Cora didn't look up, just chewing her lower lip.

Miranda stood. "Cora, look here," she said, gently.

When the girl finally did, Miranda spoke with quiet passion. "I can't ask you to forgive me, but... can you at least accept that I wasn't trying to hurt you? That I was only trying to protect Erica? And that I'm doing everything I can to fix my mistake?"

"I'll try," Cora choked out after a beat, fighting off tears. Then Erica gave her a squeeze, her own eyes wet, and Cora gave up the battle for lost. She sobbed into her friend's shoulder, as the other Sisters quietly slipped away.

~~~~~

Later that evening, after returning to San Bernardino, the three Sisters talked in the Donovan kitchen. Alice and Lani were safely on the computer in the family room.

Bronwyn said, "It's a little early to tell, but I think Cora's going to have a real gift for shapeshifting and illusion."

"You'd know," Laurie said warmly. Jacqui nodded, grinning. Bronwyn could look like almost anyone; it made for some fun bedroom games, on occasion. "But what makes you think that?"

"Just... her attitude. To cast a good illusion, you have to see things clearly yourself. Understand what's real and what isn't."

"That's Cora, all right." Jacqui shook her head. "She gets some Sisterly intuition feeding into that brain of hers, she's gonna be dangerous."

"I just hope she really can find a way to forgive Miranda." She shook her head. "There's no way she can Transition, holding on to all that pain and hate."

"Before today, I never had any real hope she might let it go." Jacqui smiled reassuringly at her Mother. "But if she can truly do it, she might have the strength to Transition after all."

Bronwyn was thoughtful. "We'll just have to give her time. We were kind of rushed with you, we knew the Brotherhood was up to something. But they've been quiet for years now, thank the Goddess."

"Thank the Goddess!" the Donovan women echoed, with feeling.

~~~~~

To all appearances, David was untroubled as he stepped into the understatedly elegant office and waited for the man behind the desk to acknowledge him. He couldn't help feeling a modicum of tension, however. He knew of no reason he could have drawn the ire of his superiors, but this summons was, to say the least, unusual.

In moments, the man finished typing something on his laptop and turned to face David. He was a small man, at first glance unremarkable... and yet there was an aura about him, something that hinted at his immense personal power. At his raised eyebrow, David bowed low - the Brotherhood's traditions were quite ancient - and spoke. "Brother David Cartwright, High Leader. How may I be of service?"

At this, the man gave a surprisingly warm smile, and gestured to the chairs in front of the desk. "Quite so. Please, have a seat, Brother David. If you don't mind, I think we can dispense with the formalities."

"Thank you, sir." Though not exactly formal, he made sure his tone was respectful. This situation was strange enough - freshly-confirmed Brothers didn't meet with the High Leader - without adding any danger to the mix.

As he sat, the High Leader regarded him for a moment. David felt he was being studied, though he could not sense probing on a Magical level. Suddenly the man spoke. "You've recovered from your Ordeal, I trust?"

"Yes, sir. My Liege and the Judges confirm it."

"Good, good." He paused a moment. "I knew your father, you know. We were friends, we went through training together. Our Ordeals were within days of each other."

"I'd heard that, sir." David simply had no idea what was going on here.

"He would have been very proud of you. You've trained diligently, shown much aptitude - particularly in the mental sphere - and handled yourself well in the challenges we've thrown your way."

"Thank you, sir."

The High Leader nodded, as if something had been confirmed. His eyes narrowed. "Tell me about Brother Hitler," he commanded.

"Sir?" David asked, confused.

"I don't need a full history lesson. Just an outline. What he attempted, why he failed."

"I..." He took a breath. "Please excuse me, sir. I haven't studied that era beyond the standard coverage in our lessons." He squared his shoulders. "Hitler," David refused to give the man the title of Brother, "seized the leadership of the Circle of Thunor and used Dark Power to take control of Germany, as a stepping stone to world conquest. He was initially successful, but made several key errors. Most disastrous was the invasion of the Soviet Union before he'd consolidated his hold on Europe. Even with the assistance of..." He cleared his throat. "...necromancy on an unprecedented scale, he could not sustain a two-front war. He faced too much temporal power. The entry of the United States into the war made defeat inevitable."

The High Leader nodded, apparently satisfied. "A fair summary." The probing look was back. "What can you tell me about the Sisterhood?"

David frowned. The High Leader's motives were obscure. "Not a great deal, sir. Stories, legends almost. Men who are transformed into women capable of wielding Light Magic. Apparently they never kill, but they have some defenses and powerful ones can be dangerous to individual Brothers." He paused, considering. "They're not generally regarded as more than a nuisance. But I take it the rumors about their involvement in Hitler's defeat are true?"

The High Leader's face held no expression. "What if I told you good evidence indicates that Eva Braun successfully committed suicide in 1931? That the woman who passed herself off as Eva Braun subsequently was a Sister?"

David's own face went wooden as he considered the implications. At length, he said, "She would have been perfectly situated as a spy, and in a unique position to encourage his mistakes."

The High Leader nodded, pleased. "Just so. Believe it or not, in hindsight we've come to similar conclusions regarding Eleanor Roosevelt." He allowed himself a smile for a moment at the naked shock on the young man's face, but it soon collapsed into a frown. "The discovery of the Sisterhood's role in Hitler's destruction is the true reason why we of the Circle of Set - along with the other factions of the Brotherhood - pursued such a quiet course for the latter half of the 20th century." He sighed. "We did not dare draw attention to ourselves while a largely unknown - and unexpectedly potent - enemy lurked about."

David had his own frown on display. "But why conceal this from the rest of the... oh. Of course."

The High Leader found himself nodding his approval yet again. The boy was not stupid. "Precisely. It was obvious we had grossly underestimated the Sisterhood. If the Circle of Thunor could be so utterly compromised, how could we be certain of our own security?"

The next step was also logical. There was no sense dancing around it. "Sir, why are you telling me this?"

"I can trust your discretion, I presume?" There was a twinkle of amusement in his eyes... but there was also no doubt that it was a warning.

"Of course, sir."

The High Leader actually looked away at that point, as if unsure how to proceed. Eventually, he asked gently, "What can you tell me about Erich Lancaster?"

David stiffened and inhaled sharply, poker face shattered. He'd hoped someday to broach that subject - though he hadn't expected a chance for years to come. The direction of this whole conversation was unsettling. If the Sisters were tied in to that...

He realized that he'd been silent far too long when the High Leader prompted him again. "I recognize that your interest is more than academic..."

David spoke briskly. "He was the leader of the Circle of Ares in the western U.S. What I've been told is that Lancaster had issued ultimatums to the other Circles, demanding that they submit to his authority. My father was sent as an envoy to a meeting, and managed to destroy the entire Circle of Ares at the cost of his own life."

"As you've obviously suspected, what you were told before was, at best, incomplete." Again, the warning was like iron sheathed in rubber. "What I'm about to tell you requires your discretion, as well." Taking acceptance as a given, he spoke on. "Facing a common enemy has a way of facilitating cooperation. Relations between the Circles have been much less... fractious since the 1950's."

"Brother Lancaster had volunteered to lead the research into the Sisterhood. The other Circles agreed to let him take the most active role... though I've no doubt many Circles maintained their own private efforts, as did we." He smiled. "We didn't share all the information we'd gathered. And if the Sisterhood retaliated, we calculated that the Circle of Ares would draw the lightning."

But then his eyes narrowed in irritation. "Lancaster, however, was... even more ambitious than the rest of us anticipated. He really did issue an ultimatum. He claimed a breakthrough in dealing with the Sisterhood... and that he was in a position to exploit it, faster than the other Circles." He sighed. "I sent your father to that meeting, to evaluate those claims."

"He was among the first to arrive. The meeting itself hadn't even begun when I received a telepathic warning. Women - Sisters - were assaulting the facility. Your father sent me what data he could even as he fought them, but... I felt him get cut off." His shoulders slumped, just a fraction. "It took time to organize a response. Late the next day, the most powerful collection of Brothers in twelve centuries, drawn from every Circle, arrived in force at the building where the meeting had taken place."

The High Leader looked David in the eyes. "The facility was empty, wiped clean. Records erased, weapons and equipment missing, all personnel vanished."

He paused. David sensed that the High Leader was waiting for him to say something. "That's unexpected, isn't it? The missing Brothers? According to the stories, the most the Sisterhood ever did was a kind of... psychic castration, burning out the Dark Power. Leaving a meek, timid shadow instead of a man."

"The assault itself was without precedent. Direct battles between multiple Brothers and Sisters are the stuff of ancient legends. But yes, even in those myths, the Brothers were found afterward. Ruined, as you say, but alive."

"What happened, then?" David asked, half to himself.

"Unfortunately, we believe we know." The High Leader looked uncharacteristically sympathetic.

David felt a chill. "Unfortunately?"

"The transformation that these 'women' do is... unique. The Dark Power lets us cast illusions, of course. Too, it can destroy where the Light cannot. We can even alter a person physically. But only within limits, in a manner analogous to cosmetic surgery. We cannot change the essence of things as they do, change male to female." He permitted himself a wry smile. "They could not survive, otherwise. We know very little about them, all things considered, but everything we do know indicates that their children are always male."

"I don't follow, High Leader." But David was afraid that he did follow.

"Very shortly after the incident, the two Sisters that our Circle had identified suddenly adopted infant girls."

The young Brother remained silent for a long time, pondering that, squeezing the arms of his chair tighter and tighter. When he eventually spoke, his voice was cold as an Arctic wind. "So... my father isn't dead. He's alive, out there, somewhere... holding a My Little Pony doll, deciding which skirt to wear to school, calling some Sister 'Mommy'?"

The High Leader coughed gently. David realized his own power had gathered and manifested due to his rage; an almost electric charge had coalesced in the air of the office.

He spoke quickly, at the same time damping the forces his anger had called forth. "My abject apologies, High Leader." He'd committed a massive breach of protocol, like drawing a weapon in the presence of a king. The High Leader would be well within his rights - and reputation - to kill him on the spot.

But the High Leader waved his hand, dismissing the offense. "Easily forgiven. I would have been surprised - and disappointed - if you'd reacted otherwise." He held up a finger, a teacher imparting a lesson. "Anger is useful, of course... but take care that you use it, rather than vice versa."

"Thank you, High Leader," he said with unfeigned gratitude.

The High Leader moved on. "The Lancaster incident is why the Sisterhood has been the primary concern of our Circle for the last decade. They had apparently shifted to a much more aggressive posture, and we cannot fight an unknown enemy."

He regarded David soberly as he spoke. "Fortunately, we have made significant progress in the last few years. The data your father provided - in particular, the faces of his assailants - has been invaluable." A wry smile appeared. "Although the Sisterhood has become vastly better at computer security - we believe that's also a response to whatever Lancaster attempted - they..." He broke off.

After a moment, he continued. "They lack a certain... aptitude for espionage." He paused, frowning. "That's not quite right. Certainly their efforts against Hitler were long-term, and effective - strategy in depth. Say, rather, that they seem to be most naturally reactive and defensive in their operations. Even the Lancaster assault appears to have been essentially retaliatory. Dismayingly effective as reactions go, of course, but from what we've learned in the ensuing years it was an operation planned in haste, even desperation." He raised an eyebrow meaningfully. "They're dangerous in the endgame, but note that they allowed Brother Hitler rather too much freedom - from their point of view - for too long before they organized their response."

The High Leader's countenance shone with determination. "Coldbloodedness, aggressive strategic action, does not seem to be their forté."

"I take it we do have a long-term strategy?" David asked. He was being a bit presumptuous, but clearly the High Leader had a purpose in telling him all this.

"It is not fully developed even yet, but yes." The small yet imposing man frowned again. "Needless to say, novice Brothers would not ordinarily be involved in matters at this level, not even ones of your evident talent. However, circumstances have arisen..." He seemed to search for words. "We believe there may be an opportunity that you are particularly suited to exploit. Your specific talents and strengths, your motivation... even your youth is, in this case, an advantage."

The scowl had returned. "There is grave personal risk if you accept this task, and it will almost certainly require you to do things any Brother would find... distasteful. I will not order you to do this." His smile was a grim, wintry thing now. "But it could prove invaluable."

"How may I be of service, High Leader?" David was not smiling, and his voice was if anything even colder than before.

Continued in Part 7

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Keeping Cora

Jamie Lee's picture

If this story were not so good, many of my buttons wouldn't be pushed. But they are and this story is that good.

The sisters are so hoping Cory stays Cora, at least it's what their actions and plans have made clear.

But during one of Erica and her bedroom frolics, Erica woke up Cory by what Erica told Cora about Erica and her mom. And Cory is right in his assertion that he is being brainwashed. And it's the same technique that was used on Eric.

The sisters have been using Erica to get Cory to be Cora. They've had her be a friend who seems only to want the best for Cora. They've used Erica to keep Cora's sex drive in check, and to use the pleasantness of their act to keep a hold on Cora.

The last meeting showed Cory is hasn't a chance of ever returning to Cory. Because as he said, if he transform back to Cory it will feel as strange as it is being Cora. They also continue to throw his anger back into his face by placing blame on him for his actions in his current state. All the while still refusing to accept any blame for the situation they are all in. Yes, Miranda justifies her actions by saving she was protecting Erica. But had they not transformed Eric in the first place, Miranda would not have felt forced to transform Cory to protect Erica. Because no one's mind would have been altered. In short, their tradition put them into this mess.

And now they've another problem, one they've yet to hear about. The Brotherhood knows about Haylie and who she really is. The Sisterhood is about to have a two front battle on their hands. Keeping Cory Cora, and the wrath of David Cartwright.

Others have feelings too.