The Station's Late Nite Princess -chapter 05

Printer-friendly version

 

The Stations Late Nite Princess cover art.png
Chapter 5 of
 
  The Station's
 Late Nite
  Princess

 

up
671 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Once again....

wolfjess7's picture

Once again my sometimes partner in crime and twisted story telling has given us a delightful story. Can't wait to see and read more. Then again I have to get my own work done.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

I Know The Feeling

Enemyoffun's picture

I need to get some writing done too but this great story keeps distracting me from it lol.

Dawn

Dawnfyre's picture

Dawn is a real bitch, getting those boys moms or older sisters called about them. I LOVED it. }:)

and the "Uncle Blake; I mean, MISTER SHELBY" line was the perfect way to knock the asshat off his high horse.


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

Very nice chapter, I liked

Very nice chapter, I liked Dawn's interactions and her solution to the jerks hanging around the store and her advertising the station, and the scenes at the station were also great. The scene with the superintendent however felt off. The problem isn't the kid getting a contract right out of high school it was that for the school to be that bad the staff at the school would at least believe they had support for acting that way and so should have reacted to the superintendent revealing that no, he doesn't support their bigotry.

Re: Pro team signing right out of High School

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

From Wikipedia's LeBron James page:

(LeBron) James played high school basketball at St. Vincent–St. Mary High School in his hometown of Akron, Ohio, where he was highly promoted in the national media as a future NBA superstar. After graduating, he was selected with the first overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

You Can't Do That in Football...

And you can't do it any more in basketball, either -- LeBron's been around a long time as playing careers go. The rule changed before the 2006 season.

In football, nobody has signed a high school player since 1925. (Cute story, that one: teams scheduled their own games back then, and the Chicago Cardinals -- precursors to today's Arizona team -- needed another win to (arguably) win the league. (No league championship game or Super Bowl back then, but they'd lost a game against the prospective champion, the Pottsville (PA) Maroons, earlier in the season.) So Cards management convinced the owner of the Milwaukee Badgers to play a game against them that week in Chicago. Trouble was, the Milwaukee team, having finished 0-6, had called it a season and their players had gone home. They collected those who were still in the area and filled out the team with players from a Chicago high school. To no one's surprise, the Cardinals beat them, 50-0. Things got confused from there -- the Cardinals were eventually declared league champions -- but the guy who recruited the high school players was thrown out of the league and the Badgers spent their final NFL season of 1926 under new management. No one has signed a high schooler since; there have been formal rules against it during most if not all of that period.)

In baseball, nobody's done it with a non-pitcher from the U.S. or Canada (with no minor league experience) since the draft was created in 1964. So Don's father is an element of fiction also. I think you can still do it in ice hockey and soccer.

Eric

It's beginning to get...

Interesting. Can't wait for the next episode :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

another great chapter

sugar_britches63's picture

Yet another wonderful chapter. I thourohly enjoyed the part were Ren taught the wrestling team a thing or two as well as when Jack Collins stood up for Don/Dawn.

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

Excellent as always

Two nits:
1 - you make it sound as if one can't be a "real girl" without high heels, butt floss and all that shit
2 - the "bad guy" is physically unattractive. How cliche.

I guess you missed

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I guess you missed the cheerleader and football player that are high echelon. In other words; 'pretty people', that are in sore need of higher character attributes.

As for lingerie, heels and so o; my personal preferences do factor in. Just like so many other writers here.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Preference :)

Enemyoffun's picture

I have a preference toward goths and red heads. We're all allowed our preferences :)

If those...

waif's picture

...are your biggest complaints, this story will win a Pulitzer prize.

I am loving it.

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Right out of High School, it has happened before....

Most professional sports team will NOT sign someone right out of high school, however they have when the athlete in question is a superior player. Examples
1) "Andy Livingston played on the 1964 Chicago Bears as a 19-year-old out of high school. " and
2)"the success of basketball players like Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James have had, going straight from high school into the NBA"

(re: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/BWmu3TB1Ed6pcwAcxJTdpg/crackbac...)

3) Robin Yount, former shortstop for the Milwaukee Brewers only spent 2 months in the minor leagues before moving up to the majors at the age of 18 in 1974.

So it is possible, but not very likely.

Anyhow, another good chapter, I'm looking forward to reading more.

Hugs,
Erin of Wis <3

signed out of high school?

these might explain---depends on the sport:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/TWsOihb07k2bkC7aVM6Arw/high-sch...

https://www.reddit.com/r/mlb/comments/39bdx7/why_does_the_ml...

http://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rule...
---To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early.

BUT: http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-5-best-nfl-players-who-...
---am not under the impression that they were recruited while in high school

http://www.answers.com/Q/Has_any_player_in_the_NFL_been_draf...

Hugs, Fran

some pro teams would sign a player

if they thought he was good enough, they might take a flyer on him

good chapter

DogSig.png

think you are right

hi Dorothy, from what the "Cheat Sheet" provided as a link to the NFL rules, there is provisions for exception to general rule. But from the answers on *answers.com* no one has came straight out of high school to play.

Hugs, Fran

"no one has..."

tmf's picture

You're right "no one has came straight out of high school to play." But the contract say the team will pay for his higher education.!

"The best part is I'll still go to school and get a degree. That was also in my contract; full tuition to the University of Pittsburgh."

Thanks for the fun read.

Peace and Love tmf

nice chapter

very nice indeed seems like a Cpl of the idiots really do not know where to quit. The wrestling coach got his butt handed to him, and in front of an audience as well as the boss.
Jack was very helpful and with the superintendent on the premises letting the coaches know that certain things will not be tolerated.
I have a feeling that Dawn is going to be a real handful and will be sure to put people in their places and with style as well.
had to love the phone call between Don and Charlie, and I am sure that if Charlie was silly his sister and mom would have changed what underwear he was wearing.
Thank You Snowfall for another sweet and lovely chapter to another wonderful creation of Yours,
Really looking forwards to seeing what happens next, as I am sure that a certain DJ is really going to screw up, as well as I am sure that certain team members at the school will try something for what I am sure is seen as their right to be idiots.

Matt

never

Alecia Snowfall's picture

never. I am NEVER having any kind of professional sport sin any of my stories again. This is WORSE than the time Mars Bracken gave out free Rage HUDs at Liquid East. Lycans were coming from everywhere and going nuts!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

chicken

Dawnfyre's picture

;)

actually, just make up a sport, then the militant idjits have no grounds to complain. :D
( That's what Bek Corbin and Dr. Bender did with the Merlin High stories they have up on Sapphire's site. )


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

Pro sports outside the US

If he played a sport also practiced in Europe he could've been signed up Over There, as Over Here the attitude is "if they are good enough they are old enough". 17 year olds playing pro are far, far from rare.
Hokey, soccer, basketball, volleyball ... the money almost certainly would not be as good as in the Top Four leagues in the US, naturally. Not unless he was another Maradona or Fabregas or Messi

Nitpickers and Naysayers

waif's picture

Snowfall,

You just write for you and forget any criticism that does not offer a way to make it more enjoyable for YOU.

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

This is fun

I can't wait to see what you have next time.

Gwen

Really enjoying this!

Both the characters- Dawn/Don reminds me of Pixie D'Angelo, an old favorite- and hearing about a new world- have only heard a little about voice acting before.

Getting interesting

Now that Don has started work (and shown his work ethic) I think it is going to get more interesting. I think that the "cheerleaders and footballers" is a cultural thing as neither has the same "effect" here.While there are football teams in universities(none in college), only the professional clubs(rugby league) have cheerleaders (who are also professionals)

Joanna

University vs. college in the US

This page http://www.diffen.com/difference/College_vs_University has a pretty good short explanation of the use of college and university in the US dialect of English:

"In the U.S., 'college' and 'university' are frequently interchangeable and simply refer to a school at the tertiary level. However, universities in the U.S. are often larger and have a wider range of courses than those schools which call themselves colleges. Universities are more likely than colleges to offer undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate degrees; colleges usually only offer undergraduate degrees."

High school students and teachers both are likely to refer to "going to college" after graduation whether the institution is technically a college or a university.

VERY VERY GOOD

VERY VERY GOOD

Regarding the story, the crew

Regarding the story, the crew hates the new DJ and love Don...I can't wait for the showdown between them as I believe Don will humiliate the poor fool and be entirely in the right in doing so.

I also hope Dawn can help Angela ease into her feminine style, she needs a close girlfriend and if she doesn't have anyone else Dawn needs to be the one then.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Maybe not as much now in some sports.

But with Baseball and their Minor League system it used to be and I think, still is common practice. You got a kid straight out of High School and if he had the talent he'd move up from Single A, to Double A, to Triple A and then the Big Show. Single A and AA ball didn't pay for squat and you could almost make a living at AAA Ball, but they hopefully got a chance to develop their skills and a few would make it to the Majors. Plus the minors aren't governed by the same union rules, so they can be paid way less and no union benefits, though from what I understand one has be able to make a career at a decent wage playing Triple A ball for a while now. I used to know a couple of ex ball players and the stories they told of just starting out and going through A and AA ball would have us in stitches.

These days College is the Minor Leagues for American Football and Basketball, so most of those players (in theory) have a College education. Not sure about Hockey, though I think a lot of them come straight out of High School and only in the U.S. is there College Soccer (and they have strange rules). In the rest of the world a kid with any talent is recruited into a teams academy system at an early age, where they learn the game as well as get an education and this is starting to take hold in the U.S. as well now that the professional game has gotten a real foothold in this country.

really liking this story

gillian1968's picture

Bob Feller skipped the minor leagues completely to play for the Cleveland Indians at the age of 17!

But each sport is different.

Write the story that is in your own heart and mind and adjust the rules if needed.

Gillian Cairns

Feller Signed in 1936...

and rules were different then. During WWII, a pitcher named Don Nuxhall played a game for Cincinnati at age 15!

Eric

My favorite series

This is my favorite series on the site right now. Thanks for another great chapter - I love the wit. I'm eager to see some turmoil in Don's well-organized life - every time he dresses up I'm rooting for Marty to come home unexpectedly; or when he's shopping, for someone in his school to recognize him. I KNOW Don can handle it, he's sly and smart and I'd like to see him tested more. Dawn handles belligerent boys well enough, but how would she deal with assertive and intelligent male advances? I want to find out! Also, I can't wait for Dawn to get some live airtime.

Woo! Rock on!

Marty and jack's quick plot to bust the bozos giving dawn shit went off brilliantly! And ren sticking it to coach stiller was awesome!

Not so sure about how charlie's gonna cope with his two best friends changing so much soon but here's hoping he's supportive.

Dawn is a treasure and must be protected! I love the easygoing polite way she glides through the world. :3

And awwww gee i want a nice leather skirt now!

Lovely chapter

Xx
Amy

Enjoying as always

I'm enjoying this story and looking forward to reading where it's going. Many professional sports teams do recruit players straight out of high school. I know of two baseball players that were signed by the Marlins and the Blue Jays in my area that were taken after their graduations. Plus, I believe that Lebron James was drafted straight out of high school too.

Yes, MLB Teams Can Draft...

...and sign players when they graduate from high school. But since the draft began in 1964, only a few such players (three pitchers out of thousands of players drafted, all more than 30 years ago) have started their careers at the major league level after high school. (Reference is to U.S. or Canadian players, though very few high-school age foreign players have come up directly as well.)

The way the roster rules are written, it's in the major league teams' best financial interests to keep a player down in their minor league system for a few years (usually about three) before bringing him up. Outstanding players can make it up sooner, but the rules tilt the other way.

And of course none of this applies to pro football, and basketball changed the rules ten years ago.

Eric

Unfortunately, the NFL is the

Unfortunately, the NFL is the only pro sports league that CAN"T sign a player out of High School

Karen

good

When is the next chapter

Jo Ann D

posting

Alecia Snowfall's picture

unless something happens, I will be posting the next chapter on friday night around 8 pm central time.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Thanks Snowfall

There's so many good stories on bc, but TSLNP is the one that I really look forward to reading every weekend. Awesome stuff! I can't wait until next week's chapter.

Methinks that Dawn.....

D. Eden's picture

Is soon to be the 10 to 2 DJ.

Loved the uncle crack - that was cute. This story is headed the same way that Frills was - straight to the top of the heap!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

This is ridiculous

waif's picture

Snowfall has created these characters, the school, the mall, the station, every single atomic particle of the universe this story exists in.

Apparently, in this universe, professional teams can recruit students in high school. Deal with it. Read it for what it is...an excellent story that is told with a very visual literary flair for the English language.

I hate to break it to you, but I would bet that a majority of authors on this site have written about subjects that they are not intimately familiar with. Why isn't anyone complaining about the color of tee shirts the station chose? I mean, I am intimately familiar with every nuance of radio station fashion sense, and no FM station would dare to pick those colors.

Also, I have a real problem with the father naming his son Don Crockett and calling him Sonny. I am intimately familiar with the way all humans think, and NO HUMAN PARENT would do that to a child!!!

While we are busy deconstructing every nuance of this story, let me also tell you that from my intimate knowledge of haute cuisine I know for a fact that Don would never cook that type of meatloaf!

C'mon Snowfall...you need to fix the meatloaf issue immediately !!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh!

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion

What is this, a cult? No criticism allowed?

You have your perspective and others have theirs. You can suspend your disbelief and/or agree with the author's Mary Sue characters as much as you like, others can not, so live and let live, 'kay?

However, for some these nits may be molehills to them. So. What.

Opinions

waif's picture

I thought that's what I was doing. Did I miss the memo saying I cannot disagree nor use sarcasm or irony?

As to cults, I am already a member of a wide variety of cults.

Wanna join one?

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

*falls over laughing*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I can't help it Waif. You did get me laughing good!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Darnit, you saw through her

Darnit, you saw through her devious plans! You just revealed the ending: this takes place on another planet! This isn't Earth, this is Rigel 7!

Oh well I guess Snowfall will have to work on a new ending :P

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

That's just silly...

waif's picture

...there are only Rigels 1-6.

River 7 was reclassified as an asteroid in 2002.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Now you're being silly

waif's picture

Everyone knows that Rigel 7 was reclassified as an asteroid in 2011.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

That type of meatloaf?

That type of meatloaf?
Must have missed that the first time through. I must reread this chapter post haste and remedy that.

This is shaping up to be Snowfall's best story yet. Does the NFL take players directly from high School? No! But, this is a work of fiction. If the story and characters did not feel so real, nobody would bother to pick this nit.

My personal nit is that after each chapter, I must patiently wait seven whole days for the next chapter. The other alternative would be to wait until the entire story is posted before reading. NOT gonna happen! I will continue to eagerly read each chapter as it is posted.

_Bev_

Normally I try ...

wolfjess7's picture

To stay of the so called controversies brought up by my editor and fellow author. However there has been more than one ignorant comment made about this chapter about Professional sports teams signing a HIGH SCHOOL student following graduation. While it can be said that the Pros don’t higher High school students it does not stop them from signing High School GRADUATES. Once an individual has left high school they have the option of going Pro or to University. There is no LAW that says that PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAMS cannot higher a high school graduate teenager. In truth Professional teams can hire anyone they wish to so long as they can legally work within the US. The laws covering these are the same laws that cover DELAYED ENTERY for the US Military. So unless the US SCJ have change these laws Jake can sign with the Steelers. LEGALLY.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

thanks!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Thanks for the close-in support Jess. Much appreciated. as I mentioned to you earlier, all these people going off about the sports aspect of the story is a tad annoying. Worse than a bunch of Lycans going at a crowd of noobs. Being in Bloodlines for several years I learned to accept some of the problems associated with Lycans. Lycans, as you know, are werewolves and therefore have canine tendencies. Seeing a Lycan chasing a car doesn't bother me, nor does the fact that they usually catch them and bring them back. To see one burying a car in the yard no longer fazes me either, as long as its behind the castle. The REAL problem comes from the fact that the human driving the car is STILL IN IT! Revving the engine, honking the horn and cussing the whole time. *shakes head* Some problems that come with a crown make one debate wearing it......

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Legal Rights...

...ar one thing. League rules are quite another, Professional sports organizations -- especially those who negotiate with players' unions -- can restrict eligible players by various methods. (Though not by race, religion, etc. I think age is at best an open question, which is why most leagues use level of school or the equivalent.)

League drafts and signing restrictions -- to say nothing of salary caps -- do represent combination in restraint of trade, for those leagues with independently owned teams. (In some cases, though not the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB, the league technically owns all the teams.) But baseball, by Supreme Court decision, is exempt from antitrust laws, and other leagues with union representation have gotten the restrictions negotiated into the rules. In the NFL, a 1974 Supreme Court decision (Mackey v. NFL) established that while unilateral restrictions could violate antitrust, that wasn't the case as long as they were established through collective bargaining. (I've read that Congress passed a law some years back with a formal exemption from antitrust for player rules as long as collective bargaining is in place. But I'm unable to find the reference at the present time.)

An independent pro league could be formed with no age limit, or a floor of 18, or a high school graduation requirement. But none of the current major leagues falls into that category. (I believe some semipro leagues do.)

If the Steelers signed a high school player, they could be written out of the schedule or voted out of the NFL, assuming the rules read that way or give the commissioner the power to do it. (Ditto if they signed a college player as a free agent before he went through the draft.) A wild-west situation where anybody can sign anyone they desire is strongly opposed by team owners, since it decreases their stability and could potentially increase team signing expenses, or render a team unable to compete if it can't afford to match the wealthiest teams' offers for elite players.

On the other side, reps for league players prefer a scarcity situation when it comes to free agency, and a limited ability to sign people not yet in the league. It's in their best interests to have just a few free agents available to teams at a time, thus commanding premium prices, rather than an unlimited group of relatively indistinguishable players competing for a limited number of roster spots at minimal pay.

Accordingly, player unions, ever since baseball free agency went through in 1975, have negotiated terms that limit players' free agency rights and allow restrictions on high school and college player eligibility rules, as part of the collective bargaining process.

There's a further consideration in football: colleges willingly serve as a minor league system for the pros in exchange for the NFL not stealing their players early. If they had to compete with the NFL to keep their players, they'd probably have to start paying them. Ditto if they had to compete for high school graduates with NFL teams, as college baseball teams do with MLB organizations.

More than most of you wanted to know, I'm sure, about something very tangential to the story But I didn't feel I could let Jessie's assertions go unanswered.

These are all valid points....

wolfjess7's picture

However there is a MAJOR loop hole that almost everyone has overlooked. The loop hole that I am speaking of is called the Walk-on clause. As for the league rules stating that Pro teams cannot sign someone who has not gone through the 'draft' nothing could be further from the truth. THe main reason that Pro teams stay away from colleges is the lack of expearance in young players. The NFL uses the college teams as their minor league as a way for those young athilets to gain seasoning. Any high school or college player can try for a Walk-on contract. They do happen just not that often. They are a rarity in the NFL, MLB, NHL, and the NBL but they do happen. The same can be said of all major sports. A prime example of this is Formula One racing, and NASCAR. They have drivers as young as 18.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Sorry, Jessie...

You're simply wrong when it comes to pro football.

While teams can and do sign undrafted free agents, they may not sign them until after they've qualified for the draft and gone through it without being chosen. If the player has been drafted and decides not to sign, he can be drafted again the following year. (That's what happened to Bo Jackson in football; he played baseball his first year out of college rather than signing with the NFL team that drafted him.) He can't "walk on" somewhere else.

You're correct, of course, that a potential player doesn't have to be in college to try out for a pro team. But under current rules they do have to be three years older than their high school graduating class (I think it used to be four years), or what would have been their class had they completed high school, and undrafted. Otis Sistrunk, a defensive lineman for the Oakland Raiders in the 1970's, famously didn't attend college (a television announcer, looking at his shaved head, large size and unusual appearance, claimed he was from the University of Mars, and it stuck), but he'd been in the Marines and then in semipro football until he was 25. Since he was older than the league draft age and had not been chosen, he could be signed, and was by the Raiders, the second team that he tried out for.

So it doesn't "sometimes happen" in the NFL (or NBA). League rules prohibit it. Technical loopholes do exist, but they won't get a high school player into the NFL draft, let alone the NFL, nor a college player who hasn't graduated or been severely disciplined, declared ineligible or expelled. In the NBA, I'm not certain, but there may be allowances for foreign players (not U.S. players overseas) who played professionally there while in secondary school and aren't eligible for American college ball. (Since the difference is only one year, I'm not sure if that's the case.)

Baseball and hockey have different rules, but the players they sign normally play for minor league clubs (or junior leagues in hockey). Again, they can't sign as free agents until after they've been eligible for the draft and unselected. No pro baseball player from the U.S. or Canada, signed as a high school graduate, has started his career in the majors in more than 30 years. (And the three that did back then were all pitchers signed as high draft choices, not undrafted free agents.) Hockey's less rigid; they even allow one-day emergency free agent contracts if a goaltender gets injured before a road game and the team needs a backup on the bench in case the remaining goalie gets hurt during the game.

Restrictions in pro soccer and in individual sports like golf and tennis are very different. A decade or so ago, Freddy Adu signed with and played for an MLS soccer team at 14, and Michelle Wie played in her first pro golf tournament at age 12. (NASCAR, having historically evolved from moonshine-running in the rural South, may well not have any restrictions at all, not even driver's licenses. Ditto drag racing, rodeo, and so-called extreme sports; I believe some of the latter were invented by teenagers who were still in high school.)

Eric

On The Air

I remember, back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the land, I read a similar story. The kid had to fill in when the late night jock showed up plastered. IIRC the kid sounded like a girl over the air, so much zaniness occured. I have to say though, your story has a better buildup to the big scene.

Looking forward to more of this!


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

What with Lyssa Kordenay, Frills, and now this

You show a true ability to write in a variety of styles. This has a slow start, but I'm really enjoying it. Maybe I should try Nightmare Rider - the "alternate universe" descriptor put me off, as not normally being "my thing", but if the writing is as good as the three already mentioned, I'll try not to be disappointed!
Best wishes

Brian looked around. "Is that

Brooke Erickson's picture

Brian looked around. "Is that how it works here? The football team and cheerleaders are allowed to torment and physically injure underclassmen for entertainment and when they have be held accountable for irresponsibility and immaturity, they commit more?"

Yep, that's pretty much the way teens (and far too many "adults") think.

I had to deal with someone like that for a number of years. At one point near the end when we were semi-friendly, he complained that I'd gotten him banned from a drugstore.

What had *actually* happened was that he'd shoplifted a tear gas pen from there. And when I called the cops on him after he tried to use said pen on me, *they* traced it back to the store which resulted in him getting banned.

I carefully explained the "facts of life" to him. *I* hadn't done a thing. He'd gotten banned for shoplifting. And he'd gotten caught because he attacked me without provocation.

I didn't get all accusatory, I just laid out the facts and pointed out that in the *real* world (as opposed to the BS that happens between kids) he'd done several really dumb things and wound up paying the price.

Apparently, nobody had ever explained it that way too him before.

He still didn't like being banned, but he wasn't blaming me anymore.

You have a somewhat similar mindset in the guys complaining to Ryan about siccing their mothers/sisters on them.

"We were just having fun and you ruined it". No thought of the fact that it wasn't fun for him, nor that it could have gotten them in far worse trouble.

There's mindset & "viewpoint" involved in all of this stuff that is positively *tribal*.

We really need to teach kids about this stuff starting *before* they start school and continuing on throughout.

And the "night guy" is a real piece of work, and it's pretty obvious that he's gonna go away. Several possible reasons, but Dawn will save the day.

Though how she's gonna manage the "10-2" hours will be interesting. Hopefully, she's one of those folks who can do ok with taking her sleep in two 4 hour chunks seperated by hours.

That'd let her get 4 hours between getting off at 2 and whenever it is she gets up for school, and another 4 after dinner before going to work.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

It's barely relevant

Brooke Erickson's picture

So what if if the NFL won't recruit a player out of high school. It only gets noticed because so many of you are so familiar with their rules.

TV programs make bigger howler (though concerning less well known things) almost every episode.

Heck, *Shakespeare* wrote a play with things happening on the Bavarian seacoast (Bavaria is landlocked).

So just sit back and enjoy the story and ignore the glitch.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

love the story, lots of

love the story, lots of comments about whether or not he can sign a pro contract out of high school get over it its a story. the only thing that would make a difference is that if he did sign a pro contract it would make him inelligible to play college ball

university of pittsburgh

know it well. Go Panthers.
i'm from the town with the great football team, I cheer the pittsburgh Steelers. :)

Self control

Jamie Lee's picture

Ren is a piece of work. He politely insults members of the wrestling team after one denigrates him. Then let's one of the wrestlers meet the Cowboys, without lifting a finger. And offers to pay for replacement lunches for the Cowboys.

The wrestling coach made a big mistake touching Ren, a student, when it wasn't an emergency. But Ren got his point across when the coach found himself face down on the floor. Ren was being assaulted by that coach and was justified in putting an end to the assault; getting thumped in the chest by that coach's finger was assault.

And the superintendent giving Ren his say on the matter, and laying into the wrestler and coach, was as it should have been. Even though Ren sustained an in house detention. The guy who attacked Ren lacked self control, something no athlete can do without. Especially in a sport like wrestling. An opponent can defeat its opposition if they can get him to act out of anger.

Jack's dad has a sharp son. Telling the superintendent about what's been going on, along with video to back it up, sure put two coaches on very short leashes. Looks like there are about to be a few serious changes at that school. Needs to happen.

Don laying into the jerk at the station, in a cordial manner, was great. He proved a person doesn't have to be crude rude and ill mannered to deliver an insult. One thing is for sure, by the way Don handled himself his stature went up by several hundred points.

I see a sign in the window offering a 10 pm to 2 am DJ opening very soon.

Others have feelings too.