Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 61

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 61

After coffee, I got busy making phone calls to our sub-contractors. The first call was to the concrete foundation company. I asked if they would be coming out to pour the floor slabs this year. The owner didn't hold out much hope. All his grade points were buried or knocked over when Steve pushed snow around. He was worried the air temperature wouldn't rise enough to thaw the surface frost, and he didn't bid for the job with building a house around the slab and heating it around the clock for a week. He suggested calling him in two weeks in case the weather broke. I thanked him, promising to call again if the temperatures rose enough.

That call pretty much made the others redundant. I called the steel fabricators to check on our rebar delivery date. I was told, even with the snow, they would deliver the steel on schedule. They required someone to be on site to sign for the delivery, so I said I'd call the day before to confirm delivery.

The next call was the framing contractor. He had a good sense of humor, singing “See you in the Summer.”

I jumped on that, growling, “I better see you sooner than that!”

He promised to check in with me in two weeks. His problem was he had committed to another project in the first week of January, thinking his part in this job would be finished.

Well, this was nothing I didn't expect since I knew this storm finished us for the year. Steve and I had better figure March before any more work would be done out here!

Well that worked out for Ginny's scheduled surgery and rehabilitation. She would have the month of February to recover at home. I would be able to check on her and take her to any doctors' appointments.

All the time I was making phone calls, Ginny was in the other room, on her laptop, checking on recipes and food deliveries. She was actually worried I would go hungry while she couldn't cook. I hoped she liked pizza and Chinese food every other day, because this girl wasn't cooking.

She gave me a Mona Lisa smile and said that Peapod would deliver healthy food to the door, and she would oversee me in the kitchen. She promised easy meals that even I could fix. Also one of the take-out places had fresh garden salads and very good pasta dishes.

After going out for lunch at the nearest fast-food place, I checked my calendar for Ginny's appointments. She had a 4pm appointment with the physiologist, Doctor Braun on Friday and a 3.30pm appointment with Doctor Singh on Monday.

She was excited about the timing of these, “I can have them write my letters of recommendation for the surgeon in Montreal while I'm there.”

“Ginny, what would happen if the doctors changed their minds, and felt you should wait a few months longer?”

“I don't think that will happen; both doctors felt I was ready to have the surgery, and I wouldn't have any regrets with the GRS.”

“I'm looking at the worst case possible, would you lose your deposit at the clinic?”

“It's possible, but not probable. I would still have my surgery there, and they are the ones that had an earlier cancellation, that allowed me to slide into an end of January date.”

I rubbed her shoulders, “I just don't want to see you get hurt, just for a few weeks difference in time. The results will last for a long time. You're only twenty-four, just a kid!”

With that the water works started, she started weeping, and blowing her nose. ”You really care about me, don't you? It's no act is it? I walked into your life six months ago from nowhere, and you care about me!”

Now I was choking up; you know girls, once one starts crying, it's contagious. She stood up and hugged me. Wow, she was still strong, I felt my bones creak. The ringing of Ginny's phone saved me a trip to the chiropractor.

Ginny looked at the caller ID, “It's Tina, I hope nothing's wrong.”

She talked for five minutes, listened for twice that, and hung up,saying “We'll see you about 3.30 at the condo.”

I looked at her expectantly, she shrugged and said, “Something's happened, but she really didn't want to talk about it over the cell phone.”

“Then what was that fifteen minute call about, the weather?”

Ginny shrugged again, “She rehashed what we already knew, asked my opinion on whether to stay at the apartment or return to Andover. She really wasn't making a lot of sense. I think she was drinking.”

“That's great, really just great. See why I wasn't comfortable telling her about Gene and your trip to Montreal for surgery? I was afraid something like this would happen. For your safety, even Kevin knowing makes me nervous.”

Ginny gave me an old fashioned look, “I kind of think Kevin would have noticed something different with my body the three or four times we had sex. “

“Three or four times!” I puffed. “You don't know how many times? Should I call Kevin to see if he can remember how many times?”

Ginny started to get excited, took a look at me laughing at her, and started to laugh also. “You were just winding me up weren't you? Well, you got me you witch, you got me. Should I call Kevin and ask him how many?'”

I put on my parka, “Come on, let's go home. We have Tina to deal with, don't forget.”

We weren't home ten minutes before Ginny's phone rang.

“Sure, anytime.” she said, “I'll put on the kettle for tea.”

She looked at me, “She said she was on the way. She sounded okay, Ellen, no crying.”

Ginny was watching for her and opened the door before Tina could knock. “Come in, let me have your coat.”

She came in and sat beside me on the sofa.

“Tina, what's going on that got you calling Ginny at work, any news on your father?”

“That Captain Smith called again, the blood they found in the car wasn't my father's, but the Escalade's interior had no finger prints, it was wiped clean. He said he was now sure what ever happened to Dad wasn't an accident.”

Ginny arrived with tea for us, “We figured that out ourselves. You knew he wasn't crazy enough to head out to sea in a Northeaster on a thirty foot boat.”

Tina took a sip or two before answering, “This means he's dead, him and his friend, they're both dead.”

“Wait a sec, his friend? The friend from Revere? Has anybody seen him, do you know his name, Tina?”

Once I started down this route, the more I wanted to ask questions about the friend. Was that blood the friend's? Are two men missing or just one? Holy Cow, why am I asking questions like this? The best thing for Ginny and me is for Vinnie to be dead. That way there would be zero chance somebody might slip around Tina and give Ginny away. I know the mystery bothered Ginny also, and she was as torn as I was over Vincent Morales' fate.

“I wonder if Captain Smith knows the identity of dad's friend? I certainly can't help him. I never knew any of my father's friends. I guess I was afraid to know them. The only one I met was the guy that owned a trucking business in Newburyport. I think it was Newburyport.”

With that, Ginny and I exchanged looks, and changed the subject quickly.

“Look Tina, you're here now, why don't you stay for supper? Ellen and I were thinking of ordering Chinese food from that place in the mall. They deliver here, so we don't have to go out again.”

“Ginny, you talked me into it, do you have a menu I could look at?”

To be continued.

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her assistance in fixing typos and spelling
up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmm...things are getting

Hmm...things are getting extremely interesting and tense! I am still not certain she is entirely innocent or she doesn't know everyone but perhaps she does and doesn't want Ginny to be hurt.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Elin would make

Renee_Heart2's picture

A good detective she's asking all the right questions just very few answers. I also think Tina needs to.be read into Genny's secret, but not about the money.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

The Guy That Owned a Trucking Business...

...is presumably McDonald, Gene's ex-boss. A quick re-read of the first seven chapters would seem to indicate that Vinnie's the only person we know of who has seen both Gene and Ginny, and he didn't catch on. Tina conceivably could have seen Gene, though she's at least claiming to be vague on where the trucking business was. In any case, Gene's photo was prominent in the media after his disappearance, and I suppose Tina could have become suspicious sometime since then and spotted the TG sites in Ellen's back history when Tina borrowed the computer, and more or less confirmed the suspicion.

But that's an awful lot of suppositions, along with my original one that Tina's behavior suggests that she has an agenda that Ellen doesn't know about. And I'm not sure where it leaves us: is Tina hoping that Ginny will lead her to the cash? (Would there still be cash, as opposed to a bank deposit? Ellen thinks so, though not $50K worth.)

Eric

You have a fertile

You have a fertile imagination. I doubt Tina knows of the cash, most of which is in a safety deposit box. If Tina saw Gene, it was as passing vehicles on the highway.

Karen

As I Said...

...a whole bunch of ifs there, You indicated that Gene's picture was in the media after the money disappeared. I was mistaken about them connecting the picture with stolen money; you said they were calling Gene a drug dealer. Whether it was money or the drugs themselves, Tina would have considered it something stolen, in effect, from her father. If her connection to all this is greater than she let on, she'd probably have paid attention and she'd certainly know about the theft, whether she recognized Ginny or not.

If she's telling the truth about learning as little as possible about her father's drug dealing (and if she isn't secretly working for the mob, another underworld organization or law enforcement, where she could have gotten the information), then none of my other suppositions work.

Eric

Concrete Boots

joannebarbarella's picture

It seems to me to be more and more likely that Vinnie and friend are at the bottom of the harbour, but of course our esteemed authoress might still surprise me.

In a season such as they are experiencing I wouldn't be at all surprised if concreting does not resume until March. However I am a bit surprised if there are no damages clauses in the subcontracts for delays in construction. Normally these must be claimed and demonstrated to be true if they are due to inclement weather. For instance the concreting subcontractor would have to keep records of all the days when the temperatures were sub-zero and submit these as evidence that he was unable to carry out his work.

If it's thick enough, the use

If it's thick enough, the use of insulating blankets, with the heat of curing should be sufficient. Having blankets in late fall is expected.
Also, there's a mix out that doesn't require vibration, and cures relatively fast, good for cold weather. Great for floor slabs, when cured it looks like it was steel troweled.

Karen

News without substance

Jamie Lee's picture

Not her fathers' blood in the cat only shows it wasn't his blood. But that doesn't stop Tina's imagination from running wild.

Ginny may have her hopes too high if the doctors don't give her the go ahead for surgery. Perhaps surgery should wait until Vinnie's fate is known.

And they sure quickly changed subjects when Tina mentioned the town name.

Others have feelings too.