Olivia Twist ~ The Final Chapter

Printer-friendly version
Olivia Twist ~ Final Chapter

By Susan Brown

In which I find myself in peril ~ Experience a nightmare ~ Learn something remarkable

Angel

~*~

Chapter 8

A red mist drifted before my eyes and everything seemed slow and distant, I heard the sound of a woman’s voice vaguely in that distance.

‘Bill, Bill, stop you’ll kill er!’

I felt the pressure on my throat gradually ease and I was let go.

With a huge gurgling inhale I slumped boneless to the floor and lay gasping for breath. Looking up through my tears, I saw that it was Nancy who had saved me. She was pressing herself against Bill Sykes and talking softly in urgent tones.

‘Bill, what use would it be to kill her, just another body to get rid of. Have sense in this; if you were caught you’d swing for sure.’

‘Wot was she spying on us for then, that’s wot I want ter know?’

I lay breathing raggedly and barely able to move, certainly not able to rise in my weakened condition and listening almost indifferently to the arguments going on around me.

‘Bill, my dear, we don’t need to be hasty. Remember you can’t use her on the blag if she’s dead?’

‘Quiet Fagin, while I think.’

Bill Sykes turned his gaze to me. A burning evil it seemed and as those eyes moved it was as though insects walked on me, I felt like a piece of meat, not human. Those eyes will haunt me to the grave.

‘Awright, but no more arguing Fagin, she comes wiv us. Nancy get er coat and lets get out of this cesspit.’

Nancy came over to me and helped me up.

‘Don’t worry, Olivia, I won’t let him hurt you.’ She whispered as she gave me a gentle hug around the shouders.

She hurried me across the room where she picked up an old coat many sizes too big and put it on me. Then she tied a bonnet on my head and we were ready.

As we walked out, Bill Sykes with his hateful dog in front, Nancy following holding my hand. I looked around me. All the others in that horrid place were looking at me. The Dodger had a grin on his face and Charlie Bates looked at me with complete indifference as he smoked on his pipe. Any thoughts of being helped by anyone here vanished.

Soon, we were in the muddy, rutted streets. I was held firmly by Nancy as Sykes hurried on to our destination. I dimly noticed the sights and smells before me; the degradation of people that were on the lowest rungs of society, the drunks, streetwalkers, children in rags, dogs and cats eating the remains of things that had once had beating hearts. I was more in fear of my life than at any time before in my short eventful time on this Earth.

I had to hold my skirts off the filthy wet ground as we avoided the puddles and heaps of muck in that God-forsaken place. Eventually after what seemed an hour but was probably much less, we arrived at our destination. From their talk and manner I gathered this was where Bill Sykes and Nancy lived.

We went up a narrow flight of wooden steps and into a squarish room roughly three times my height across. It was filthy with just a table; two chairs, a sideboard and finally a bed covered in filthy blankets.

‘Sit on the bed, Olivia.’

I did as I was told and then watched Bill Sykes pacing the room and talking to himself whilst Nancy made some supper of bread and cheese.

Finally Sykes sat down at the table eating the bread and cheese then swigging a flagon of ale.

Nancy gave me some food and whispered in my ear. ‘Eat up, dear, as you will need all your strength for tonight.’

Not really knowing what she meant but fearing that things would not go well for me if I said or did the slightest thing wrong, I ate in silence.

Once I had finished, Sykes looked over to me.

‘Lie down and sleep, I have work for you later. You heed now, ya hear.’

I did as he bid and lay down on the rough bedding. I shut my eyes, thinking that I should at least try to get some rest even though everything was like a windstorm going around in my mind…

I was being shaken and I opened my eyes. I had managed to sleep after all.

‘Come Olivia, you must get up now,’ said Nancy.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and sat up. Sykes was in the corner putting what looked like some tools in a bag. I had a bit of pain from my private parts I needed to piss.

‘Get ‘er dressed.’

‘Yes, Bill, but give ‘er a chance, she’s just woken up.’

‘Well be quick about it, time’s running out.’

‘I need to piss,’ I said to Nancy.

‘Go over in the corner there’s a pot there; When you’ve finished, empty it out of the window; but be quick, Bill’s got a rare temper on tonight.’

I went over to the corner and making sure that I wouldn’t be seen I hitched up my skirts and crouched down as a girl would then emptied myself into the pot, it was quite hard to aim as my penis was so small and as usual, it made a mess as I went. I felt a strange ache from there. It had happened before though, so I did not take too much notice.

Once I had wiped my hands on the hem of my dress, I emptied the pot out of the window and then went over to Nancy. Sykes was putting on his coat and muttering to himself again. He seemed a bit drunk, belching and farting occasionally.

I was put back into the coat that was too big for me and the bonnet was tied on my head. Then for some reason Nancy gave me a hug and whispered in my ear. ‘Do as he says Olivia for your life depends on it.’

Without a word Sykes reached out and grabbed me roughly by the coat collar and pulled me after him and before I knew it, we were out on the street again.

We went through many alleys and lanes and I had no idea where we were. After some time, the area looked more affluent, the gardens being larger and the houses much finer. The streets were quiet and not a soul was about. It must have been very late and this was confirmed by the striking of a nearby church clock; it was 2 of the morning.

We came up to a wall. Sykes bent down and spoke to me in a hushed tone. I could smell his beery breath as he hissed at me.

‘Listen and listen well. If you get this wrong tonight, I’ll kill yer wiv me bare hands; understood?’

I just nodded, too fearful to speak.

‘Right; I am going to hoist yer over this ere wall. When yer lands on the other side go to yer left and unbolt the door; then wait fer me, see?’

I nodded again and in no time, I was scrambling over the wall and landing heavily on the other side.

Feeling with my hands as it was very dark, I felt my way along the wall until I found the rough wooden door. The bolt was stiff and squeaked a bit as I pulled it but I managed somehow and then after a short time opened the door.

Sykes came through and then grabbed my hand again.

‘Come on and keep quiet.’

He led me through some bushes and then we were on a wide lawn. About a hundred yards away was a large house. All was quiet and there were no lights in the window. It was very quiet but in the distance I could hear a dog bark and nearer the trees were whispering in the wind.

I was led around to the back of the house and to a small window. Sykes seemed to know exactly where to go and I assumed that he either knew someone from within the house or had been spying it for some time.

He held me close and whispered to me.

‘Take yer coat off and yer bonnet.’

I did as I was bid and stood there shivering in my thin and inadequate garments.

Sykes stood on his toes and pushed the window open, it was not locked.

I’m gonna push yer in the window. It’s the scullery window. When yer gets in, go left and feel for the door. Open the door, quiet like and then go into the kitchen. There’s enough light from the moon through the window fer yer to see by. Go to the door and unbolt it, then let me in. Got it?’

I nodded. I was beyond fear now. All my senses were numb I just did as he bid.

I was roughly put up to the window and then pushed through. It was a very tight fit and I nearly got caught by my skirt, but eventually, I managed to wriggle through somehow.

There was a table up against where the window was and I was able to stand on that and then jump down onto the floor. It was quite dark here but my eyes had become accustomed to the gloom. I saw the distinctive outline of the door and crept over to it. I turned the handle and then pushed the door open; it squeaked slightly. I was concerned that there may be someone on the other side but it was all quiet.

I went through the doorway and found myself in a large kitchen. There was a fire in the grate, the embers of which, cast an eerie glow into the room. I looked round, saw the door and walked over to it. There were two bolts, one at the top and the other at the bottom. I pulled the bottom bolt and then fetched a chair so that I could stand on it and reach the top one.

As I stood on the chair I nearly toppled over as one of the legs was a bit short making it unstable. However, I managed somehow and pulled the bolt back.

I stepped down from the chair and pulled it out of the way; then I noticed the door was also locked. Luckily the key was in the door so I unlocked it and opened the door. Bill Sykes then came in and breathing heavily, he quietly shut the door again.

He knelt down and said, ‘you’ve done well so far, keep this up and I might let yer live. Now follow me and keep quiet. Do as I say or it will go bad fer yer.’

I followed him as he went over to another door and opened it carefully. He poked his head out and then gestured to me to follow him.

We went out into what looked like a large hallway. Sykes walked over to another door and was just about to open it when we heard a noise.

‘WHO GOES THERE?’

Sykes grabbed me and shouted, ‘RUN!’

He went first and I followed as best I could as he dragged me by the arm. There was a bang and I felt my leg go under me. I fell to the floor as a searing pain shot up my left side. The agony of it made me want to faint. I felt myself being roughly lifted off the floor and I knew it was Sykes as I could, even through the pain I was suffering, smell the disgusting breath of the man I hated most in this world.

I had a sensation of being carried for some time. Falling in and out of consciousness I was in somewhat of a hazy state of not knowing or strangely caring what was happening to me.

The pain in my leg was throbbing away and I could feel a wetness under my dress that was probably the life blood leaving my body. Yet I did not care I was too far beyond my normal senses to make anything of my situation.

Finally I was jolted so hard, that a jag of pain went through my body that rendered me senseless and the world went dark.

I vaguely remembered being on a bed and two people arguing over something. It was a man and a woman and in the corner of my mind I seemed to recognise them.

I was in dreamlike state where reality and dreams merged into one.

One moment I was in the workhouse eating gruel and the next I was dressed in the finest black silk dress, walking in front of a hearse. Then there were more arguments that I could not see as my eyes were strangely heavy. I imagined that I heard the sound of Nancy begging, screaming and then a sickening crunch. The next moment my dreams took me to Mr Brownlow’s house where that kindly man together with the wonderful Mrs Bedwin looked after and cared for me like no others had ever done before.

Then there were the times of pain. The pains in my leg grew worse and then eased greatly to be replaced by other pains in my groin a dull ache that grew worse as time passed. I remember feeling a cloth being put over my mouth and my nose, a horrid smell and then drifting off to a pain free sleep.

I do not know at what point I realised that I was no longer in the clutches of Bill Sykes but back in the tender care of my guardian and Mrs Bedwin, but I gradually awoke and the pains had all but gone, just leaving a dull ache in their place.

I vaguely remember going through phases of being so hot that I was burning and at other times I felt chilled to my marrow. Most of the time when I was conscious, I was aware of the gentle and kind ministrations of Mrs Bedwin.

Gradually I got better and my fever broke allowing me to sleep more easily.
And so it was that I awoke one morning to find myself in the familiar room...my room in Mr Brownlow’s house.

Over by the fire as if she had never been away, was Mrs Bedwin concentrating on her needlework.

I raised my head from the pillow.

‘Mrs Bedwin.’

She looked up, delight on her face as she swiftly arose.

‘Olivia, my dear, you are awake at last. How do you feel?

‘Much better thank you but I do not know what has happened. How do I come to be here?’

‘All in good time; are you hungry?’

‘Yes; I could eat a horse!’

She laughed.

‘It seems that you are indeed feeling better. I will arrange some breakfast and then I will call Mr Brownlow and we will explain all that has happened as we know it.’

I rested my head back on the pillow, marvelling at the softness of my clean nightgown and at how warm and cosy I felt in the comfortable bed. I noticed for the first time that my doll was beside me and I cuddled it as I waited for my breakfast.

I must have dozed off, as I was awoken by the door opening and Mrs Bedwin bringing in a tray.

‘Sit up now, Olivia, and have your breakfast while it’s still hot. I haven’t brought much because the doctor said that you must be careful for a while.’

I looked down at the plate with eggs bacon sausages and bread and thought to myself that this meal would feed several of the boys in the workhouse, easily!

‘I will leave you to eat in peace and come back with Mr Brownlow.’

‘Thank you.’ I said with my mouth half full.

I only managed to eat a fraction of what was on the plate but felt full enough. Putting the tray aside, I awaited the arrival of my guardian and Mrs Bedwin with some trepidation. Had I been forgiven for not coming back? Would I be sent to the workhouse? I had little idea of what Mr Brownlow would say. Mrs Bedwin had been nice to me but she was a nice lady and it came natural to her.

A few moments later, I was in near panic wondering what was to become of me. My heart was beating nineteen to the dozen and I was in something of a state.

Just then, the door opened and Mrs Bedwin came in followed by Mr Brownlow. Mrs Bedwin took one look at my face and immediately came over to me.

‘Why Olivia, what is the matter. Are you ill again?’

‘No Mrs Bedwin. I was concerned that you may feel ill of me because I did not come back from the book shop.’

‘You silly girl; it was not your fault, it was the fault of that duplicitous girl, Jane. We know all that has happened to you and you should feel no blame.’

Mr Brownlow looked down at me kindly and said, ‘Yes, Olivia, you have nothing to reproach yourself over; now how are you feeling?’

‘Quite well, Sir, but my leg is sore and I have a strange ache between my legs.’

‘Well Mrs Bedwin, being a former nurse, will explain what has occurred but first, we need to talk about what has happened since we last saw you. Are you up to telling us your story?’

‘Yes, Sir, I must.’

They both pulled up chair and when they were comfortable, I told them of my adventures–if that is what you could call them–and the terrible time I had in the clutches of Bill Sykes.

‘So,’ said my Guardian, ‘the last clear thing you remember is that you were shot and were carried from the scene of the crime by Sykes?’

‘Yes, Sir. I do vaguely recall snatches of things happening but it was if I was in a dream.’

‘Well, Olivia, much has happened and if you feel well enough, I will tell you just what has occurred.’

‘Yes please, Sir; I am confused as to how I find myself back here.’

‘Very well, I will tell you all but if you are tired or upset, I will stop at once. Promise me if you feel unwell you will say, won’t you?’

‘Yes, Sir.’

‘When you did not return with Jane, we became concerned. I sent men out to go to the book shop and look around the area but found nothing. We were obviously very concerned for both of you and continued to scour the area for any signs of you and Jane. Nothing was found. No one in the house slept that night and the following morning brought no further news. Then at about ten minutes past midday, Jane came back and asked to speak with me. I immediately questioned her and she broke down. I believe now that she had intended to blackmail us. However, she must have had some vestige of decency and on the promise of not prosecuting her in this instance she told us everything she knew.

Following her sorry tale, I went to Fagin’s lair together with some of my men and several policemen. Fagin was found along with some items of contraband, also several young people also seemingly bereft of morals and they were taken into custody. Fagin was questioned at length and finally told us what had happened to you. A more odious creature I could not have met. Anyway, this led us to the house of Bill Sykes and Nancy. I am pleased that Mrs Bedwin was not with us at the sight that met me and my colleagues. Are you sure you are up to this, Olivia for the things that I have to say now will most certainly upset you.’

‘Sir, after what I have been through and the sights that I have seen, I think that I am up to hearing what you have to say.’

However, I gripped my doll tightly as I listened in horror at the events he recounted.

‘We found Sykes hanging from his neck from a beam in the hallway, he was quite dead. Then as we entered the room, there was a large pool of blood at the centre of which was a girl, later to be identified as Nancy. Her head had been stove in and she had been dead for some time. We assume that Sykes killed her in some sort of rage and then killed himself in remorse. We found you under some covers on a bed and in a bad way. You were immediately brought here and the doctors were summoned. You were in immediate danger from a pellet wound in the leg and this was extracted with some difficulty. Once the wound was cleaned up, one of the doctors in the course of examination looked at your groin area. Perhaps you could explain all this Mrs Bedwin as you are a former nurse?’

‘Of course but only if you are all right Olivia. You look quite pale and sickly.’

‘Please continue Mrs Bedwin I need to know what has happened.’

‘Very well; you know that I had some concern about your male parts?’

‘Yes.’

‘The doctor had a good look at you and said that he had only seen this kind of condition a few times. It appears that your testes…’

‘Testes?’

‘Erm balls, dear, were badly infected, small and not grown correctly. In addition to this, you had a slit at the base of the penis which needed to be examined. The doctor had a thorough look at the area and indicated that in his opinion you were a hermaphrodite; that is you seemingly had the equipment of a male and a female. The slit opens to a complete if slightly under-developed set of female organs. A doctor from Guys Hospital who is known to be the leader in this type of condition was called in and consulted and it was decided to operate on you without delay. The infected material was removed. At the same time, the doctor cleared a blockage in your small penis, repositioned and stitched it so that it resembled the anatomy of a female. The doctors are pleased with the results and as it now appears that you have a womb and all the correct organs in place you may actually be able to have children if eggs are produced as normal development continues. This is a simplification, but I hope you understand what I am saying?’

‘So–so I really AM a girl?’

‘Yes, Olivia, you are. But such thoughts of babies and things can be left for when you are older. We have another revelation for you if you feel up to the hearing of it?’

I was still in shock at the revelations so far but needed to know all.

‘Please.’

Mr Brownlow then spoke, a slight smile played about his lips, making him look much younger.

‘My representatives went to the workhouse where you were born and spoke to an unpleasant woman by the name of Mrs Mann. On questioning, she broke down and confessed that she indeed remembered a young girl being brought in. she was heavily pregnant and not in her senses. She gave birth to a son but died shortly after. Mrs Mann admits that she found on the young girls’ person a letter and a locket. She kept that fact from everyone, perhaps hoping to make money from it at a later date. I was shown the letter and locket. It was my daughter’s locket, the one that I had given her for a birthday. The letter confirmed that they did indeed belong to my daughter. One day I shall let you read the letter but not now. All this confirms that you are my granddaughter and I thank God that you have come through your ordeal and are now at home, safe with us.’

I gripped my doll tightly, tears streaming down my face–tears of great happiness. I was not the only one crying but I felt that my life had changed for the better at last. I had a grandfather and a lovely lady as close to a grandmother that I could have without being a real one. I was in a lovely home and everything was now as it should be because I was a true girl and my past could, at long last, be put to rest. I could not believe my good fortune. I now had a chance of a normal life as a girl. I could wear wonderful dresses. As I grew up as a girl–not a boy–I would do all the things that girls do and perhaps if I was lucky, get married and have children of my own! All this was in the future, but for now, I decided that I would enjoy myself as best I could and be a credit to my Grandfather and the family of which I was now a part.

Epilogue

That completes my story but for a few matters. I never understood why Sykes took me back to his home rather than leave me to my death. Perhaps there was a spark of decency in him after all. More likely he feared a trail of evidence. Fagin was hanged barely two weeks after he was caught, protesting his innocence to the last. The children that he ‘cared’ for were placed in various homes well away from London and their old haunts.

Following the outrage in newspapers that Fagin had caused, it was seen as the decent thing to do rather than just deporting them. Whether they could change their ways, only time would tell but I felt that at least The Dodger and Charlie Bates were probably too far gone for any salvation.

As for me, well that would be another story, wouldn’t it?

THE END

~*~

I put the book down. It was late and my eyes ached from reading the fine script. I didn’t know what to make of it. What a strange tale; was it fact or fiction. Then, glancing at the table, I notice the envelope. Remembering my instruction from my grandparents, I went over and picked it up.

I made myself another coffee and then went back to my seat.

I opened the envelope carefully and read the contents.

Dear Susan,

Now you have read the story, I am sure you don’t believe a word of it. Too far fetched? Well, my dear, it’s true. It happened just as Olivia said it did. Olivia grew up to be a wonderful woman and had a full and exciting life. She married and had two children. You are the great, great grandchild of one of them and that is why you have the book. You need to keep it and pass it to your youngest child.
I leave it to you whether you think you should do anything with this. We never did as who would believe Olivia’s story over the fictitious one concocted by Mr Charles Dickens? Perhaps it is best kept within the family.

Anyway dear Susan; have a wonderful life and remember that truth is often stranger than fiction. Oh dear, perhaps we have been watching too much television, though I think I may have that slightly wrong.

Love

Nan and Granddad.

I went to bed that night thinking how lucky I was not to live in the time of Olivia and yet wondering if I could find more out about her and whether she had written any more about her extraordinary life.

Angel

I will not beg for comments because it is unseemly, but if you have a moment in your busy schedule, please let me know if you like or not like this little piece.

My thanks go to Kristina L.S and Gabi for pulling this into shape.

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Words can't describe

the emotion and beauty of your story... I can't wait to read what happens next in Olivia's life. You are wonderfully talented and incredibly gifted. Please keep up the wonderful work

Hugs,
Jayme

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

A Heart Warming Ending

Hello Sue,

Thank you for such a wonderful tale, I hated to see it end. As I stated in my comments to the first chapter historical stories are some of my favorites and the way in which you wove this one around the Dickens tale was truly special. I look forward to your next offering.

Kindest regards,
talonx

i dont know what to say

i loved the story and how it ended has left me feeling very happy. so thank you from the bottom of my heart for the lovely story.

with hugs sara

Olivia Twist-Final Chapter

Susan, What a fantastic tale of yesteryear you have penned. How I wish that your muse could have continued the story. I am indeed glad that Olivia did have children and not have to adopt. Perhaps you can tell of her further adventures later on. No hurry, after all, you still have Orphan to pen.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I like...

You did a wonderful job blending your tale in with Dickens. And you wrapped it well, providing a reason for the tale to have been surpressed.

Thank you very much.

Annette

Awwww

YAY! What a wonderful and beautiful ending to such an amazing story, this was awesome I loved it!!!!!

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Tour De Force

joannebarbarella's picture

Very satisfying. That was a neat double shuffle there on Olivia's sexuality, probably the only way to resolve the situation in Victorian England. No wonder Dickens twisted things. The book never would have sold with a TG theme.
Joanne

Thank you

I enjoyed your tale and look forward to more of your writings.

Huggles,
Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

What a wonderful story.

I must confess that at the end of the chapter before this, I had not intended to read any more. After going into captivity yet again, I felt as if I did not have the fortitude to wade throught yet more pain for this dear girl.

These days, I am particularly tender and burst into tears for the silliest things.

Happily, I did read this last chapter and found it most agreeable. It was an extremely pleasant ending.

Gwen

Yeah, Disney ending!

Sue,

charming as always. So happy the girl turned out to really be a girl and led a happy life off camera so to speak. Pitty the woman who hid the child's idenity all thiose years ago can't be the recipient of the same *kindness* she gave all those kids as did the other bastards working there.

Nice.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Great ending

but I am just wondering whether surgeons had the skill during that time period to safely remove infected testes and the like without causing infection ? Doctors had absolutely no idea of hygiene and infection control around that time actually. A lot of women died after delivering babies because of infection from dirty doctor's hands.

Kim

a pleasure

kristina l s's picture

Having had the honour to be in a small part of this I must acknowledge Sue's skill here. To take a classic tale and subtly blend it to fit... well no small task. Each piece impressed with the mood and feel of the original, though I suspect Sue's knowledge of it is greater than mine. It felt right all the way. I must also applaud the gentle and sunny take on even dark subjects, something I cannot do, at least convincingly. Thanks or the journey Sue... great homage. Though to be honest I will probably never get past that movie... 'please sir, can I have some more...' Oh dear, you know I've probably never actually read it.

Kristina

May I second that?

I would like to add my two-pen’orth to what Kristina has said here. I, too, feel honoured to be asked by Sue to edit her imaginative writings. There is really very little editing to do, mainly stuff like punctuation, which is so easy to overlook when you are in full flow with a story, and so easy to miss when you read it through afterwards because authors can rarely spot their own mistakes so soon after creating their masterpieces, or should that be—in Sue's case—“MISTRESSPIECES”? This has been an tremendous piece of writing.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I'm ever so 'umble

Thanks for the kind comments. This was a story that i have wanted to write for some time. It itched me in places that I could not reach easily.

Anyways, it's all out now the itch has stopped. I would like to thank Kristina and Gabi for their help in polishing and correcting my bloopers.

My love for Dickens is well known. Here is an example of his wit and genius:

A person who can't pay gets another person who can't pay to guarantee that he can pay. Like a person with two wooden legs getting another person with two wooden legs to guarantee that he has got two natural legs. It don't make either of them able to do a walking-match

.

Hugs
Sue

re:

This really was a wonderful story. I love stories which take up the challenge of defining an unusual venue such as this.

Thanks for sharing this :)

Rather than Just Deporting Them

" it was seen as the decent thing to do rather than just deporting them. " Why? Were they citizens of some other country?

Or, could it be you meant 'transporting' them, the punishment that involved banishment to some place far away like Australia?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Nice

A thoroughly enjoyable tale. Thank you. Jo

Lovely story,

And an interesting twist on Dickens' story, very well done, Sue, thanks.

Wonderful

Lucy Perkins's picture

I have no idea why it took me so long to discover this masterpiece, a wonderful homage to the writing of Dickens.
Having been made to read " Great Expectations" at school and then read "Oliver Twist" for fun, I adored the way that your writing mirrored the original, subtly blending in Olivia's gender issues.
This, your wonderful "Duality" and Bronwen's " Leonora's Journal" are all outstanding pieces of writing which mirror the original masterpieces of the Victorian and Regency era.
Bravo!
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."