Gaby Book 12+1 Chapter *18* Hard Truth

Printer-friendly version
book13coverfront_1.jpg
 
 get the complete book here! {Or here (US) -Erin}
 
 
*Chapter 18*

Hard Truth

 
 
The girls stayed for lunch, we might not have ridden far but we had good appetites – just as well as Mum plonked a traditional English roast in front of us. The girls weren’t quite sure what to make of Yorkshire pudding but they cleared their plates nonetheless.

“So when do these Euro League events start?” Dad enquired as we relaxed with coffee in the lounge.

“First one is in three weeks, I think when you go to Japan? I’ll ride that myself, they are most weeks then until the end of February.”

“We’re riding all winter then?” Erika asked.

“It’s my main focus so I will ride most weeks, there are events in Czech and Poland I usually miss due to the travelling.”

“That’s a lot of riding,” I noted.

“I’m not sure it’s a good idea for Gaby to ride so many.”

“I wouldn’t expect it,” Anita agreed, “we’ll target specific events as a team, all three of us riding – it’s not the same as on the road, team riders have much less effect, a single strong rider can do well.”

“I told George I’d give it a good go so it looks like I need to practice my skills,” Erika stated.

“George told me to let you know the programme, Dave,” Anita handed Dad a sheaf of papers. “I’ve marked the ones I’d like to ride as a team, I think there are five or six.”

“These with a star?”

“Uh huh, the Nationals are in January, Worlds two weeks after across at Zandvoort.”

Dad nodded, “Doesn’t look too bad, you don’t do the round in England?”

“Not before, my budget wouldn’t allow.”

“Hmm, leave it with me.”

 
 
“When was that dinner thing you’ve been invited to kiddo?” Dad queried as we vegged later that afternoon, he doing bike team stuff, me doodling with cheering uniform designs.

“The weekend before Christmas, why?”

“The Euro League cross is that weekend at Roundhay in Leeds, where’s this dinner at?”

“Not sure, Caro will know, she told Mum about it.”

“I’ll give her a bell then.”

He’s up to something, don’t know what, but something.
 
 

“Jules?”

“What?” the dark one managed from within the Goth cave.

“You still want these?”

I was back to clearing out the spare room, it’s not far off empty but I found this pile of Goth Girl’s stuff in one of the divan drawers.

“What is it?”

“All sorts, feels like shoes and something with net,” I replied through the door.

“Duh, let’s have a look.” My sister opened the door, “Thought you finished in there last night?”

“So did I but I thought I’d best check again, Dad’s wanting to paint in there tomorrow.”

She took the bag and peered inside, “I wondered where they’d gone and that.”

Despite myself I was intrigued, Jules has some weird stuff in her wardrobe. She pulled out the shoes, well they were more like short boots, pointed toes, laced up the front with a vertiginous stiletto heel.

“Not seen those before.”

“Think I only wore them once, grab these, if this is what I think it is, it’s well cool.”

I took the footwear and waited for her to pull the garment out of the bag, “Interesting.”

“Neat yeah?”

She held the skirt up to herself, not her usual black but dark red, the shaped hem sat about knee length, the net I’d felt was a sewn in under layer. The interesting feature though was at the top, the waist was high, pretty much up to Jules boobs and whilst not actually boned it laced up like a corset.

“Whoa, mega Goth.” I allowed.

“More Steam Punk really.”

“You’re the expert on dark stuff.”

“Yeah, you sister, are definitely more Chanel!”

“I am so not.”

“Says she with the fancy frocks and suits in the cupboard.”

“Yeah,” I admitted, “it’s not like I ever wear ‘em though is it?”

“I bet you do.”

“Not gonna happen.”

“Okay, I bet that you wear one of your fancy frocks before Christmas, if I win you get a Goth makeover.”

“What if I don’t?”

“I’ll give you twenty euros.”

“Fifty.”

“Forty?”

“Deal! Start saving sis.”
 
 

“It’s all clear, Dad,” I announced dropping onto the sofa.

“Hmm, right, okay thanks.”

He could at least sound a bit more enthusiastic.

“So watcha doing?”

“Getting someone to the Ball or in this case the BLCA dinner.”

“I can go?”

“I think so, it’s on Saturday night in York, the Euro League cross is at Roundhay on the Sunday so we can double up.”

“Kewl, hang on, if we’re flying how’re we gonna get all the bikes and stuff there, it’ll cost a packet.”

“Who said we were flying?”

“Well Mary said they’d pay for my flight.”

“We’re going to use the ferry, I’ve spoken to George and got the go ahead, we’ll drive up to Rotterdam on the Friday, ferry to Hull and reverse on the way back, home Monday lunchtime.”

My heart sank, I’m already on a warning from Boxberg, more time off is gonna rub her up the wrong way.”

“I can’t go then,” I told him, sagging back into my seat.

“Why not?” Dad demanded.

“I can’t take anymore time off school, I already missed a week for the Worlds and I’ll be off extra when we go to Japan.”

Dave hadn’t factored in that Drew would actually want to go to school, kids always want time off don’t they.

“I’ve got the ferry and everything booked, I was just gonna ring Anita when you came in. Why didn’t you say something before?”

“You didn’t ask?”

“She’s got you there, Dad,” Jules mentioned joining us.

Dave couldn’t argue, he hadn’t asked her, it was gonna be a surprise – a surprise alright but not as he’d expected.

“But it’s all booked, I’ve even got Caro getting extra tickets for the do.”

“So what’s the problem anyhow?” Jules enquired.

“Your sister doesn’t want to take time off school to go race in Leeds, we need four days as we’re using the ferry,” Dad explained.

“Weird girl, so why not fly?”

“Too expensive with all the kit,” pater supplied.

“No, just Gab, you go by ferry and Gab flies, she could go on Saturday and back Sunday.”

Sometimes my sister can be a twit, others times brilliant, this was a brilliant moment!

“I could fly to Leeds,” I suggested.

“I dunno, it’s more expense.”

“They said they’d pay for my flight,” I pointed out again.

“Leave it with me,” he sighed.

 
 
“You need a lift tonight?” Pia asked as we scooted to school Monday morning.

“I’m going up early but a lift back’d be good, I can use the Express then.”

“Shouldn’t be a prob, how many do you think’ll turn up?”

“No idea.”

“I think a couple of the others from Garde will come.”

“I hope it’s more than that or we’ll be finished before we start.”

“I guess,” she agreed.

“Come on you two,” Con chivvied.

 
 
So of course whenever you want the day to go quickly it completely drags. Herr Ansbacher’s history class was all about reunification, that stuff can’t be history can it, it was only a few years ago. Well the whole hour was a complete drag and Herr Viessner’s class was no better, we did this all this verb stuff in junior school!

To top things off on the way home we were halfway back to Dernau when the heavens opened up quickly soaking us. Just what I needed – not. I’d arranged to meet Margot at the club house about five, by the time I’d showered, grabbed a sandwich and collected everything together it was well after four.

“I’m off,” I offered around the living room door.

“You need a lift later?” Mum asked.

“Getting one with Pia, later.”

“Later.” Mum agreed.

 
 
I half walked, half ran to the Bahnhof arriving just as the Express pulled in, phew!

“Don’t often see you at this time?” Myleen observed as I sank into a seat.

“We’re starting a new class at the Tanzklub and I’ve got too much stuff to ride up with.”

“Costumes?”

“Yeah,” I agreed.

“Looks like it’s gonna rain again.”

“Bum, I knew I’d forgotten something, umbrella.” I sighed.

“Can’t help you there I’m afraid.”

Maddy Bell © 28.10.2014

up
296 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos