The Great Shift - A Fish Tail - Chapter Two

Printer-friendly version

The Great Shift – A Fish Tail - Chapter Two

©2016 — Foxxe Wilder

Upon awakening, Brenda enters a whole new world of existence.

 
 


 

 

Chapter Two

Brenda awoke and was quickly aware that she was underwater. Instinctively she lashed out at anything near her trying to get a grip on where she was and why was submerged.

Then she was aware of two pair of hands steadying her. As she struggled she became aware of a conversation about her.

She could hear voices under the water as well. They were as clear as if she was not submerged, "Help me hold her Boreas! Diantha could well hurt herself or us if she should fall!"

"I am doing the best I can, Kassiopeia," he replied, "I am not as young as I once was! There is something different about her though, can you not sense it?"

"Yes, I feel that she is distressed somehow for being here with us," Kassiopeia answered, "but there is something else greatly changed within her."

Once Brenda realized that she was not drowning, and that she was in fact breathing quite well underwater, she slowed her struggles. There were other things to deal with aside of the strange watery location and the ability to breathe beneath water – she was not alone and someone was actually trying to care for her.

"Diantha?" she thought to herself, "Who the hell are these people? And why would they refer to me as that? And what the hell is on my feet?"

She gave a kick to try to shake the feeling off her feet but it would not go away. It remained.

With her eyes still closed she felt the light brushing of a delicate hand upon her cheek,
"Diantha? You are home here with me, Kassiopeia and your dad Boreas. You've been unconscious for quite some time now; almost a full season. We were worried for you that you would not awaken. Your injuries have long healed after the eel bite but your reaction to the eel bite had us very scared."

Brenda opened her eyes to see the delicate features of a young girl looking down upon her. There was also something else she could sense. A familiarity that she could not explain, and the idea that she was not in danger in the least."

"Diantha?" she spoke but haltingly and in a very different voice.

For the moment she brushed the oddness off to being underwater.... "wait a minute. I shouldn't be able to breathe under water anyways, and what the hell is on my legs?" she spoke aloud as she struggled to sit up and gazed down at her torso.

There were no legs to see at all. There was a silvery scaled fish tail there instead, the tail of the fabled mermaid. She also wore no clothes at all. Her breasts, which were about the same size and shape as Kassiopiea's were left uncovered and none seemed to notice save for her.

She dropped her head back down, speaking aloud as she closed her eyes again, "wow, whatever caused me to pass out really did a job on me. For a moment there I could swear that I saw a fish tail!"

Boreas responded gently, "Why, what did you expect my dear? Legs are only for the land peoples. Naturally, you have your tail, and it has healed from your encounter rather well I would also add. You must have dreamed that you were a human."

Brenda sat back up, opening her eyes and turning to see the grizzled but proud grey bearded face of a.... merman?

It was a strong face that had seen many years. He had shoulder length wavy grey hair that floated naturally with the slight water currents within the underwater home. He had strong shoulders albeit somewhat slight by human reckonings. He wore no clothing at all save for a necklace of carved coral in the shape of a dolphin that was held by a woven strand that held it around his neck.

She shook her head for a moment but the older gentleman's features remained. He also had a silvery tail similar to the one she had. She then turned her head to the female at her side.

She also had a silvery tail, and very fine, almost elfin features to her face and upper torso. She was not large in the bust but was "well equipped" with modest B cups bared for any and all to see.

"Apparently clothing sis not the way for these people," she thought to herself as she then noticed that the young mermaid also wore a similar dolphin necklace about her neck.

Kassiopeia had long auburn hair floating about her face that gave her an almost angelic look. She also had a comforting smile that could disarm the nastiest of foes.

"I'm not supposed to be here," Brenda told them, "I don't know who this Diantha is but I am not her."

She then looked down at her tail and then noticed that she wore a dolphin necklace of her own, identical to Boreas' and Kassiopiea's. Then a tendril of auburn hair floated into view from her own head.

She took the tendril in her hand, also a fine boned hand, not dissimilar to Kassiopeia's hand and shrugged, "At least I never used to be her. I don't know what happened but I used to be, as you referred to us as, a land person. This is not the body I was born in. Not that I am complaining, mind you, as I was not exactly happy with what I had before this."

It was only then that she noticed the sensations at the sides of her neck. She could feel something on it slowly and gently opening a closing with each breath she took. A light and careful investigation with her fingertips answered the question she had in mind. She was, like the two merpeople she was with, breathing with the aid of gills.

"Well that answers that question," she said aloud as she fended off a pair of questioning faces, "This is all going to take some time to get used to. To humans mermaids and mermen are nought but mythology. So few of us have witnessed mermaids that they are considered crazy or some sort of dream."

"Well," Boreas said, "apparently although we do have the body of our Diantha back with us, it no longer carries her **pnévma." (**pronounced NEHV-ma)

"We have long learned to avoid the shores where humans were known to gather. In fact most of us consider going anywhere near land as a foolish activity. We stay to the depths and some live, as you see," he motioned to the room around them, "in the lost wreckage of your ships that have been long lost to your kind."

"Who is it that we share our time with then, my dear?" Boreas enquired of her.

"Well my name, as a human was Brenda, but that was a derivative of the name my parents gave me at birth, which was Brendan. It was a boy's name but I never saw myself as such. But I would welcome the name of Diantha if it would please you. Trying to explain to others that a new... umm... pnévma exists within her body would likely be hard to explain. Even to me it seems like I am within an insane dream; not a bad dream, mind you, just one unexpected."

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

Thank you for all of your kind comments and patience. It really does take a lot to expand upon this concept. Many things must be taken into consideration that I generally take for granted in my day to day life. (such as empathy and it's impact on the average person).

I am endeavouring to paint a whole social structure based upon a natural setting yet somewhat alien to humanity. I hope you approve of my imagery and future descriptions! :)

Who and where

Podracer's picture

Apart from Brenda's new situation - which could be worse - there's the thought of what may have happened to everyone else, if anything. Certainly Brenda's previous fleshly home could be unoccupied, or have a new tenant, or even another copy of her original soul.

"Reach for the sun."

well...

Given Brenda's situation as a mermaid and the (unspoken) idea that she has no idea where on the planet she is, I don't think there is a real possibility of her finding out what is going on in the human world.

I actually used the idea that Diantha was comatose to enable Brenda's shift into that body otherwise the mer-folk would be somewhat unaffected by the Great Shift (in my theory). The Great Shift was employed to enable the sudden life experience as a mermaid from being a transgender woman.

okay enough...

That last comment only served to piss me off for days now and I can't get any writing done due to the disturbance to the "vibes".

So, HERE is the synopsis... An average pre-op Transgender woman is caught in the Great Shift and instead of being "assigned" to a human body, she ends up in a nearly braindead mermaid - fully female (for the species) and this is the story of the things she discovers about herself and the world around her.

As in all other Great Shift stories, it is very rare you ever read about the body left behind and given her situation (she is obviously in warmer sea waters) she is not exactly in any position anymore to get anywhere near any humans - she is in a marine world. She knows nothing about anyone else having shifted into other bodies due to her lack of contact with humanity.

**I also don't want to hear any smart ass comments from 20-year-old (plus) know-it-alls in these comments or in PM about how YOU might think the english language is constructed - I've been transgender since 2004 and I've got a REAL GOOD IDEA what it's all about. I write in Canadian English which is fairly close in almost all ways to actual English (aka "British"). I won't embrace your slangs nor anything that is not international mainstream.

Any more such PM's and this one goes on the "dead" pile!

Eh?

Podracer's picture

Not my last comment, I hope? I was only wondering who, if anyone had moved in as Brenda "moved out", and whether we would ever know - not that I deem it important to the plot ;) Ah, reads again - an unwelcome PM I see. I'd really rather like to see your story continued if possible please. I and at least 61 other readers...

"Reach for the sun."

np

nah, just a self righteous naive nutbar kid that thought they knew all about international english, the difference between slang and non-slang, and regional dialects, etc.-- You know, the type that will use terms like "that is the shit" and "he is so hawt" THEN they will "correct" your grammar for using the term "transgendered" (which is still being considered officially as an actual adverb despite any arguers against it)

I blocked the fool. Still the time-damage has been done... sadly it will take a while for Chapter three (** spoiler alert!! --which will go into more depth into "the new" Diantha's surroundings) :)

Explosion

Jamie Lee's picture

I was still wondering what type of explosion occurred in New Mexico when I discover Brenda is now in the body of a mermaid.

So did the explosion cause this to happen, or since she passed out on her couch, is she having an out of body experience? Gotts to know more.

Others have feelings too.

The Great Shift

This happens in the Great Shift Universe where all stories have one thing in common. There is a large explosion in New Mexico from scientists screwing around with alien technology. (see http://fictionmania.tv/stories/readtextstory.html?storyID=29... from the original Genesis story)

You will find quite a bit of stories that base their own stories in this universe.

Ah, thanks :)

Podracer's picture

Although the background isn't essential to A Fish Tail, I believe it helps me, and hadn't been on FM enough to come across the origin. That author, yes, but missed the posting of the challenge.

I really hope that Brenda was fond of seafood.

"Reach for the sun."