All the World's a Stage Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

Permission: 

361304-pentax-645z-sample-image_0.jpg


All the World's a Stage

A novel by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2016

A sequel to 'The Might-Have-Been Girl'


Chapter 11   Double booking

I took my packed suitcase to the theatre, so that I could go to the railway station as soon as the rehearsal finished. Mary kindly drove me to the station and I took the train to London and then the tube out to Southgate. For once, Richard was at home too, so the three of us sat down to an evening meal that Reggie cooked.

That night we slept together of course, since Richard was well aware of our relationship, although he didn't know about my past. I was content for us to cuddle, since the cricket final commenced on the following day, and there was no way that I would risk Reggie being seen to be overly tired on a weekend when he was expected to be at his best. This would be his final match with the club, since by the next season he would be studying in York, so this made the weekend doubly important.

I still hadn't found a suitable moment in which to confess my foolishness in committing to afternoon tea with Dame Emily at the same time that Reggie expected me to be at the cricket match. I suppose I was hoping for a miracle. Perhaps the match would finish early and I could leave with a clear conscience. Sadly, things don't always turn out as you wish. The side they were playing against, Edmonton, were no push-over. They batted first, and despite some excellent fielding and bowling, including a brilliant catch from Reggie, and later his throw that rattled the stumps at the bowler's end, leaving the batsman well short of his crease, they set Southgate a target of 284 runs to win on the second day. Even with my limited knowledge of cricket, I could see that a win would be difficult and Southgate might have to settle for a draw.

That evening, I bit the bullet and confessed to Reggie that I had stupidly committed myself to visiting Dame Emily for afternoon tea on the Sunday.

“I am so sorry Reggie. I shouldn't have told her that I was in London this weekend. Now I feel obliged to go because she was so kind in putting in a good work for me at Stratford.”

“It's alright, really,” he said, but I could see from the look on his face that he was really disappointed.

“I'll come back afterwards,” I said. “The match may still be going.”

“No, you should go back to Stratford, rather than be racing around all over London. You'll be exhausted by Monday.”

I felt really bad, especially after the recent hiccup in our relationship. Why couldn't I have engaged my brain before opening my mouth while talking to Dame Emily?

--ooOoo--

On Sunday, I walked to the cricket ground with Reggie and watched the morning session. Reggie was batting at number four, which meant he took the field after the first two wickets had fallen. By then, Southgate had scored just over one hundred, and I thought it quite likely that they would win. However, an hour after lunch two more wickets fell while Reggie had scored nearly forty runs, and I needed to leave in order to arrive at Dame Emily's flat by three o'clock.

--ooOoo--

I had brought one of my prettiest dresses down to wear on my visit to Dame Emily's flat. I really didn't know quite what to expect when I arrived, complete with a small posy of flowers in one hand, and the handle of my suitcase in the other. I wondered if she might even have a maid, but that thought was immediately extinguished when Dame Emily herself opened the door. Her flat, which was located in Hampstead, was on the ground floor of a three storey Edwardian house which looked very neat on the outside, and this impression continued as I stepped inside. Dame Emily accepted the flowers with thanks, and showed me into the sitting room. It was a very comfortable room with a couple of large sofas and arm chairs, on one of which was sitting an elderly-looking Cavalier King Charles spaniel.

“That's Rex,” said Dame Emily. “He keeps me company while I'm in London, although most of the time he lives with my daughter.”

“Is he friendly with strangers?” I asked, and on being reassured, I walked over and offered him my hand to sniff and then gently stroked him under his chin.

“He likes you,” said Dame Emily. “Now you must tell me, what happened to your arm?”

For what seemed the hundredth time I told the story of my car accident and how it seemed likely that I would have to give evidence in court.

I looked around the room, taking in several framed photographs of various family members, and also a few of Dame Emily taken with some very famous names from the theatre world.

“How is the film going?” I asked.

“Another three weeks until we wrap,” she replied. “Quite frankly I'd rather be on stage, but I'm happy to take the work, and the cast are a great group of people. The main down-side is the early morning starts. It's quite the reverse of being in a play. Anyway, I'll put the kettle on.”

Rex was looking at me, so, since Dame Emily declined my offer of help in the kitchen, I walked over and gave him another pat until she appeared with a tray loaded with sandwiches and small cakes, and then disappeared into the kitchen once more to return with a silver teapot, milk jug and two cups and saucers, and laid them all on a small table between the couch upon which I was sitting, and her armchair, the one not occupied by Rex.

“Shall I be 'mother'?” she asked.

“White, no sugar please,” I replied, watching her pour the tea.

A very pleasant hour passed as we talked 'shop' as people do who have the same occupation. Dame Emily had amazing stories to tell about the various plays and films in which she had performed, and some of the other cast members, not all of them known to me, who had been part of the casts.

“You have a young man in London, Ronnie isn't it?” said Dame Emily.

“Reggie, actually. He's currently working for a bank but will soon go to York University to study for an Economics degree,” I replied.

“You should have asked him to come along today, I would have liked to meet him,” she said.

“He's playing cricket today. His team is in the final, and it will be his last match for them before he goes to York.”

“Why aren't you there my dear?” said Dame Emily, sounding surprised.

“I went yesterday and this morning, but I had accepted your invitation to tea so here I am.”

“But my dear, you must get your priorities right. As I understand it, this young man is very special to you, and I'm sure he is disappointed that you are not there to watch him play. You could have arranged another time to come and listen to an old lady reminiscing you know?”

I felt my eyes start to prick with unshed tears. It seemed that once again I had made a mistake and disappointed someone whose high opinion I sought. Dame Emily saw the look on my face, and her own face softened.

“Now don't get upset. All may not be lost. It's four-thirty now, when do you think the match will finish?”

“I really don't know. It all depends on how fast Reggie's team scores or how quickly they lose wickets.”

“It seems there isn't a moment to lose. I'll ring for a taxi to take you to the ground. What's the address please?”

“It's Waterfall Road, Southgate,” I replied, and Dame Emily picked up the phone and dialed the number. I heard her say “Yes, it's urgent.” and “No, not a police escort.” When she put down the phone, she said “He'll be here in five minutes. Good luck my dear, I hope you get there while they are still playing, but even if you don't, I'm sure there will be some sort of celebration after the game, and Reggie will be so pleased that you came back for it.”

I still felt like crying, but managed a smile as I said “Thank you so much Dame Emily. Every time I meet you I learn something new and I hope it will make me a better person.”

“You are very welcome my dear. All I ask is that when you are my age, you try to encourage the next generation of young actors, just as I try to do.”

A single tear ran down my cheek. “You are so kind to me Dame Emily. I hope you won't think me presumptuous if I say it's almost like having a second mother.”

She smiled. “That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me. As you know, I already have a daughter, but if I had another one I'd like her to be just like you. Now you be sure to ring me and tell me how it went at the cricket match.”

The doorbell rang, and I went to the door with my suitcase. Dame Emily waved me goodbye as I entered the cab, and the driver confirmed the address.

“She's a real lady that Dame Emily,” he said. “So, are you an actress too?”

I don't know if there's something about being an actress that gives us away. “Yes, I am,” I replied. “I'm so fortunate to know Dame Emily. She is really helping my career. I'm performing at Stratford now, and it's all thanks to her.”

“Well I'm sure that means you are pretty good,” he said. “She wouldn't waste her time with anyone who wasn't worth it.” This of course caused me to blush, but fortunately in a London cab, passengers sit behind the driver, so unless he saw my face in the mirror, he wouldn't have seen that.

--ooOoo--

I was lucky that it was Sunday and the traffic was not nearly as bad as on a weekday, but it still took nearly forty-five minutes before he dropped me off at the Walker ground. As I paid him and added a generous trip, I heard a roar from behind the fence and then clapping. Thank goodness, it sounded like the match was still in progress.

I hurried up the driveway which leads to the pavilion where deckchairs were set out for spectators. I glanced at the scoreboard. Southgate had scored two hundred and seventy five runs. That meant they had to score only nine more runs to win. I had made it in time but it was a close thing. Then I noticed something else, and a glance out at the field confirmed it. Reggie was still batting and his score was 102! The applause I had heard as I paid off the taxi must have been when he scored his century. However, I also saw that Southgate had lost nine wickets which meant that if one more wicket fell, they would lose the match.

I slipped into a chair at the rear of the spectators. I didn't want to risk Reggie seeing me and being distracted. It was essential that nothing broke his concentration. The other batsman was a specialist bowler. They always bat last and are not expected to make many runs. In this case, it was his job not to lose his wicket, and as far as possible to keep Reggie facing the bowling and scoring the runs needed. An older woman sitting next to me leaned over, and glanced at my suitcase.

“You've arrived just in time. Isn't it exciting? That's Roger my son out there. He's already scored ten runs, the most he's ever made. The other chap's called Reggie. He's been batting nearly all day.”

“Yes I know,” I replied. “He's a friend of mine.”

Edmonton was using their fastest bowler, in an attempt to intimidate the 'tail-ender', but Roger was made of stern stuff and blocked every ball that threatened his wicket. The over finished and he was still there. Now it was Reggie's turn to face the bowling. The first ball was a bouncer. Reggie ducked and the ball flew over his head, evaded the wicket keeper's outstretched glove and flew to the boundary for four byes. Five more runs needed to win. Reggie hit the next ball through the covers. A fieldsman dived for the ball and missed it. It appeared to be going straight to the boundary but Reggie decided to run anyway. A precious few seconds were lost and when another fieldsman sprinted around the boundary and cut off the ball, the batsmen had to scamper home for three runs. That left Roger on strike, precisely what the batsmen didn't intend to happen.

There was a gasp from the spectators, most of whom supported Southgate. Four balls remained in the over. Could Roger survive them? Once more the bowler thundered down and released the ball. Roger desperately tried to fend it away but his stumps were spread-eagled. A groan went up from the spectators but the umpire called out 'No ball'. It seemed in his eagerness, the bowler had overstepped the crease and Roger was reprieved. The wicket was repaired, and the bowler stalked back to his mark. We could almost see steam coming out of his ears.

Once more the bowler turned and began his run up. This time he tried a bouncer. An experienced batsman would have ducked and let it go, but Roger panicked and threw up his bat to protect himself. The ball glanced off the bat and flew between the first and second slips both of whom dived for it, clutching at thin air, and it carried straight to the boundary for four runs. Southgate had won! Reggie and Roger ran to the middle of the pitch and embraced, while the spectators stood cheering and clapping. In a great act of sportsmanship, the Edmonton players applauded too.

The Southgate players ran out onto the ground to congratulate their batsmen as they walked off the ground. All the spectators were standing, clapping and cheering, myself among them, and it was when Reggie had nearly reached the boundary that he saw me. He lifted his bat in salute and his smile became even broader if that was possible. I was so glad that I had returned to the ground.

A table was set up on the edge of the ground along with a microphone and loudspeaker. The chairman of the Premier League, Colonel Rodney Sanderson was present, along with the two club Presidents and various other officials. The Southgate President Charles Farquharson welcomed everyone and spoke about what an enthralling a battle the match had been. He introduced the chairman of the League who echoed his sentiments and said it was the most exciting match he had seen in a long while. The Edmonton team members were then called up to receive from him their 'runner-up' medallions, followed by the Southgate team for their winners' medallions. The umpires also received a memento.

“We now come to the 'Man of the Match' presentation,” said the President. “It was the unanimous decision of the match committee that this be awarded to Vice Captain Reginald Staunton for his score of one hundred and five not out, and also for taking two wickets.”

Reggie walked up and received his medallion from the Premier League chairman, and the local newspaper photographer took a photo. This was to appear in the paper along with a report of the match. I still have it in my scrapbook.

“Sadly for us, this is that last time we will see Reginald play, at least for a while, as he has to leave us to study at York University,” said the Club President. “However you will always be welcome to visit us any time you are in London.”

Reggie then took the microphone. “Thank you Mr Farquharson. I would just like to say that I have enjoyed my time with Southgate Cricket Club enormously. Everyone was so welcoming, and to finish my time here with this award and be part of the Premiership team is the icing on the cake. If an opportunity arises in the future to return to Southgate you can be sure I will seize it with both hands.”

Everyone applauded Reggie, and then the President said. “There is just one final presentation to make, the Premiership Cup. Would the captain of the Southgate First Eleven, Josh Raymond please step up.

Josh stepped forward and was presented with the Premiership Cup by Colonel Sanderson. As he held it up, everyone clapped and cheered. He made a short speech in which he congratulated the Edmonton team on a well-fought match, then the Southgate team on how they had played, mentioning Reggie and how much they would miss him. The rest of the team gathered around for another picture for the newspaper, and then everyone was invited into the pavilion where the club ladies had laid out team for the players and their guests.

It was only now that Reggie managed to get away and come to talk to me.

“Harriet! I was so pleased to see you there as I came off the ground. I thought you would have been on your way back to Stratford.”

“Well you have Dame Emily to thank for that. When she heard that you were playing in the final, I had quite a scolding, and she insisted that I come back to the match,” I blushed. “She told me to get my priorities right, and she was correct in saying that of course. I felt obliged to go and see her because of all that she's done for me, but she told me that I could have changed the date, and that the match you were playing in was far more important. I hope you can forgive me.”

Reggie smiled. “Of course I can,” he replied. “That's if there's anything to forgive. You're here now, and that's what's important.” He paused. “Dame Emily's almost like a second mother to you isn't she? Why don't we go and have some tea?”

With that we joined the others at the rather sumptuous meal that had been prepared.

While we were eating, (it was one of those stand-up affairs where you really need three hands) Reggie was called away for a minute, and an older lady I hadn't met before came up to me.

“Hello, I'm Lillian Sanderson,” she said. Thank goodness for my memory, I realised she must be the Premier League chairman's wife.

“Harriet Stow,” I replied.

“Your young man is a very talented cricketer,” she said. “Rodney was very impressed with his performance, and said that with the right coaching he could easily turn professional.”

“I'm sure he'd be pleased to hear that,” I replied. “But he's about to start studying Economics at York University. That's why he's having to leave Southgate.”

“And what about you, my dear, what do you do?” she asked.

At that time, I was still a bit reluctant to admit to my chosen career, aware that some people's mental reaction was 'why doesn't she get a proper job?' Nevertheless, I didn't feel like lying.

“Well, I'm an actress,” I replied.

“Oh! Musicals? Comedies? Television? That sort of thing?”

“Well it's Shakespeare at present. I'm rehearsing for 'Twelfth Night.”

“Oh, a local group is it?” she said in what can only describe as an off-hand manner.

“Stratford actually.”

“Oh!” (That word again, but the tone of her voice had changed.)

“Upon Avon,” I said to make it quite clear, as there is a Stratford in East London.

“I see. What a talented pair you are! Rodney and I saw a play there – Richard III. David Lodge played the lead. I don't suppose you know him?”

“As a matter of fact I do. I played Ophelia to his Hamlet recently.” I was starting to enjoy myself.

“Goodness me! I had no idea.” By now she sounded really impressed.

“I've been very fortunate,” I said. Just then Reggie returned.

“Hello Mrs Sanderson,” he said.

“Hello Reginald,” she replied. “Congratulations on your 'Man of the Match' award. I've just been talking to Harriet and she's told me about her acting career. I must say that you are a very talented couple. Rodney told me that you could easily consider a career as a professional cricketer.”

Reggie smiled. “That's very kind of him, but no doubt you've heard I'm off to York University soon. I think I'll have to keep cricket as a sport I enjoy playing as an amateur. I”m hoping they might consider me for the university cricket team, but I'm sure there will be a lot of competition for places.”

After Lillian Sanderson excused herself to go and talk to other people, I said to Reggie. “I hope you don't think I was boasting. She asked me what I do and I told her. I'm not ashamed of it.”

“Neither should you be,” replied Reggie. “In fact you should be very proud of yourself. I'm very proud of you.”

“Reggie, I could stay the night,” I said softly to him.

“That would make a great day perfect,” he replied.

--ooOoo--

Early Monday morning Reggie and I got up, showered and had breakfast. Reggie looked his old self thank goodness. Richard was there too. He also worked in the city, so we all set off together for the tube station, and I parted company with them and took the train at Marylebone back to Stratford.

When I arrived back at the flat, to my surprise, Scarlett was there with Mary. They were both dressed, so I had no idea if Scarlett had stayed the night, but Mary blushed when she saw me and I suspected that was the case. We all went to the theatre for the rehearsal.

Later that day I saw that there was a message on my telephone, which of course I had to set to silent while I was at the rehearsal. It was from Constable Harrison, reminding me to come to the police station to sign my statement, and also that they intended to charge the driver of the sports car with dangerous driving and failure to stop at the scene of an accident. 'Oh dear,' I thought. 'That could mean a court appearance for me as a witness, if he decides to plead not guilty.'

To be continued.

I would like to acknowledge the assistance of Louise Anne in proofreading the text and giving me a great deal of useful advice about modern-day Britain to incorporate in the story.

up
280 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Edmonton ?

giggles. For a second, I wondered what a cricket team from Canada was doing over in England, then I remembered there's an Edmonton in England as well.

Nice sweet chapter.

DogSig.png

Friday????

waif's picture

Bron,

You had me worried and into early withdrawal. Thank goodness you posted today!!!!

hugs

Jen

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Some day, when I have a week,

Some day, when I have a week, someone has to explain cricket to me. Two day matches? Scoring 100 points.? Team scores over 300?

Great posting with Harriet receiving Life instruction from Dame Emily, and that wonderful play-by-play of the cricket match.
Oh,Oh, if the accident goes to court, someone near and dear will be 'outed'. To late to have a name change?

Karen

To be accurate, cricket has no rules

The things that govern how cricket is played are collectively known as 'The Laws'.
Sometimes, these Laws, and there are 42 of them (where do you think Douglas Adams got his '42' from?) are adjusted according to local restrictions or different tournament emphases - these then are 'special rules'.

I hope this information is helpful. :-)

Joolz

Cricket

I was once offered a one-week intensive course. After that I'd be able to to watch and at least understand something. Unfortunately the course never came through so I'm still in the dark regarding lbw, underarm bowling and all that. This hasn't stopped me being fascinated with everything around cricket such as professional cricket (just isn't cricket), playing in artificial lights (unnatural), aluminium bats (unsporting), one day cricket (artificial), how to win by losing quickly (very unsporting), underarm bowling (used to be fun to mention when in mixed Aussie and Kiwi company but nowadays it appears to be forgotten) and so on and on.

Great fun!

Speaking of Australians and Cricket

TheCropredyKid's picture

Eric Bogle, author of so many brilliant songs - particularly the powerful anti-war songs "No Man's Land " and "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda", was originally Scottish, but emigrated to Australia in (i think) the 70s. While many of his songs are deeply moving and melancholy, he has a ... unique ... sense of humour. ("He's Nobody's Moggie Now", the story of a cat who came off second in a dispute with a twenty-ton truck, for instance.)

Anyway. Bogle is apparently, let us say, less than enthralled with cricket. And he'll tell you.

 
 
 
x

A Midsummer Night's Dream

joannebarbarella's picture

That's how it worked out for Harriet, having her tea with Dame Emily and getting back to the game to see Reggie's team win and him get the "Man Of The Match" award (and then spending the night with Reggie....cough!).

I don't think she'll have a problem being a witness at the trial of the idiot driver. They will use the name on her Driver's Licence so there should be no risk of exposure.

You made me late for work :)

I somehow missed this story and the prequel until yesterday so I just finished reading them both in one practically one sitting and I was so deep in the story this morning I didn't notice the time.

Of all people

Jamie Lee's picture

I think a mild scolding coming from Dame Emily hurts Harriet more than from anyone else.

But where Harriet really wanted to be had to be brought up the way it was. Harriet needs to learn that those she idolize are still just humans, and will grant her reprieve if it comes to her boyfriend.

Even after reading about Cricket, I still don't understand the game. It seems like a game best learned by playing it while growing up.

Baseball, on the other hand, I do understand since it's a sport I grew up with. However, it's a game which bores me to tears to watch. But is interesting when heard on radio.

Others have feelings too.

Cricket

Cressar's picture

This may (or may not!) interest some of you...

click here

Radio Cressar - not available on FM

Very interesting - thanks for posting.

I understand there are a number of cricket teams in America - it's not all baseball! I know a cricket club was started in Hollywood by some of the British film stars who spent time over there, and that it's still going. BTW, the first organised Australian cricket team to tour England was an Aboriginal one in 1868.