Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 47

Printer-friendly version

div align="center">

"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin
<

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 47

We were so close to the stage, it seemed like the actors were talking to us. 'Steve, you wonderful man, how did you ever get these tickets?' Ginny and I got absorbed into the story. Poor Hamlet, his mother marries his uncle, is that incest?

We decided although Gertrude is the lead role, Ophilia seemed to be more fun to play, at least until Hamlet accuses her of being a whore and tells her to go to a nunnery. That drives her mad and she commits suicide.

No wonder the boy considers suicide too. We also decided being a court jester was a bad job; something to lose your head over? Hamlet holds a skull, “Alas poor Yoric (his skull!) I knew him”. How long ago did this guy die?

This play was all we talked about on the ride home, well, along with how many guys got whiplash checking us out in our LBD's and heels.

Once home We shimmied out of our dresses, kicked off the heels, threw on a robe and went into the living room. We were still wide awake after the play, and decided to have hot chocolate and watch a rerun of Perry Mason. He got his client free from the murder charge, while pointing out to Hamilton Burger who the murderer actually was. In all the years this was on TV I think his clients were found guilty twice. Of all the young beauties on the show I think the hottest was Perry's secretary, Della Street.

After the show Ginny and I headed for bed, tomorrow was Saturday and her first riding lesson!

I woke up to the sound of pans banging around on the stove in the kitchen. I squinted at the alarm clock, only 6:30! I guessed Ginny was really excited about that lesson. I tried to roll over for another hour's sleep, but no luck!

I tossed back the duvet and ran into the loo. I just made it. I wondered if Ginny left any hot water for my shower.

After a 'warm' shower, I pulled on my jodhpurs and riding boots with a turtle neck jersey and a zip sweatshirt.

As I walked into the kitchen, Ginny smiled at me, “It's about time, sleepyhead. I've been up forever. How does an omelet sound?”

I poured coffee and sat down to a wonderful omelet, a cross between a western and a Texmex. That girl sure can cook!

We finished our breakfasts and headed out for Newbury and our riding lessons. That's all she could talk about. For once Kevin's name wasn't mentioned, a new record!

I explained to her that once Cathy finished with our lesson and Kevin's driving lesson, she would ride. That meant not until about 1 o'clock.

Ginny didn't care, she'd watch my lesson, then Kevin's. Wow, has she got horse fever bad. I guess she's not afraid of horses anymore.

Tina arrived a few minutes after us. “I thought the three of us were riding up here together. What happened, did you forgot?”

“Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry; Ginny was so excited about her first lesson, I totally forgot about you.”

“No problem, I saw the two of you leave before I was ready. I remembered her lesson on the ride up here. I also was able to stretch out the Mercedes a bit.

“How fast?” I asked

“One hundred miles an hour.”

“On Route 1? Are you alright? That's way too fast for that road, Tina.”

I just got a funny stare from her, as she turned to get her horse tacked up. Uh oh, maybe something's going on here.

I got Freddy ready in record time with Ginny's help and headed for the arena. I had the place all to myself, so I urged him into a slow trot, changing my diagonals every four steps.

A diagonal is when a horse trots, the rider posts (rises), this is to the timing of when the horse steps off with a front leg. The “correct” diagonal is to rise in time with the inside leg, if the horse is going in a circle, like in a ring.

Tina and Chris entered the ring the same time Cathy did.

“Okay ladies, first way of the ring, posting trot. Look sharp and we'll get done early today.

She put us through all the paces, changing gaits constantly. After walking to allow the horses to catch their breath (the heck with us!), Cathy had us go the other direction, again changing gaits constantly. Soon Cathy had us line up in the middle of the ring.

While I was catching my breath, I saw Vincent Morales enter the viewing room. He started walking towards Ginny, but Jim Brady said something and stood between them. Ginny got up and walked into the ring and stood in the corner.

“Well done everyone, no figures today, the three of you did so well changing gaits, I figure that's enough for one day. Ginny, Kevin's not here today, so I'll get you started early. No sense in Ellen having to wait an extra hour.

Cathy beckoned to Ginny. “Follow me to Tigger's stall. We'll start out on her. After brushing her,the next thing to do is to pick out her hooves, we do this before riding every time.”

Cathy picked up her front leg, bent it back and started to clean out the hoof with a funny shaped tool with a dull hook. After finishing she handed Ginny the tool and said “Three more.”

Phew, smelly! Ginny finished that and went on to saddling and putting on the bridle. She led the big Appoloosa mare into the ring next to the mounting block, and Cathy held her while Ginny got on.

I looked over my shoulder for Morales, but couldn't see him. Worried, I walked over to Tina's horse's stall to check on her. Tina was fine, no Vinnie in sight. Together we returned to watch Ginny's lesson.

Cathy had her posting while Tigger was on the end of a longe line. Ginny had a smile from ear to ear. I have a feeling she will soon be paying a bill of $1200 a month.

You know the old saying, “If you have to ask the price, you can't afford the training.”

I mentioned to Tina that I saw her father, and he seemed to have something to say to Ginny.

This got her upset, “I'll speak to Ginny and apologize. Why is he bothering her?”

Ginny finished her lesson. It appeared to be a success, both Cathy and Ginny were smiling.

Looking at me Cathy said, “This girl is a natural, Ellen. I'll bet next week she'll be off the longe and riding on her own.”

As we walked to our cars, Tina suggested we meet for lunch and proposed going to the Porthole in Lynn again. We quickly agreed, I love their food; Ginny loves their prices.

Over a cold beer, Tina asked Ginny what her father said that stirred things up.

“He walked in and demanded that I tell him where you are living. When I said I didn't know, he called me a slut, and said to tell him. At this point Jim told him that that was no way to talk and to apologize to me. Your father looked up at Jim and muttered something as he walked off.”

I chuckled a bit. Jim is six foot six inches and weighs about 280 lbs, he can be a little daunting.

Tina was all wound up, “I'm going to call that bastard and tell him where to go. He can't do this with my friends.”

“He won't do it with Ellen,” Ginny laughed. “I think Dirty Harriet has him scared, or he's infatuated with her.”

“You couldn't wait until after we eat, could you Gin?”

We finished our deserts and headed for our cars.

The boats in the yacht club next door looked funny, all done up in white shrink wrap for the winter. It looked like a sticky snow had fallen, but only on the boats. There was a pleasant clink-clank of the stays on the aluminum masts. Good thing it was here, not next door to my bedroom window though.

We promised not to forget to pick her up the following week. Tina suggested we do something during the week, around Tuesday.

With that we went our separate ways. Although a short ride home, Ginny and I discussed if we planned to do anything on Sunday.

We decided to watch football all day. I know, I know! Look I'm a tomboy and Ginny likes watching all those big, muscular guys in tight pants bending over! Alright?

To be continued


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her help in correcting typos and punctuation

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Your Writing

waif's picture

Karen,

It is such a joy to read your work. You and Bronwen both set the bar pretty high. The writing flows very gently and looks almost effortless. I know how much work that takes. I thank you for all the hard work that you put into it. I look forward to this story and Bron's every week.

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Great, Morales is back and I

Great, Morales is back and I do worry about him. He is such a snake and I do hope he does not ever figure out who Ginny actually is; even though she has changed her identify and looks.

Ohhhhh Tina is pissed

Renee_Heart2's picture

At her dad and rightful so... he had no business busting in to the waiting room of the arena and DEMAND Genny tell him where she was staying then calling Genny a Slut on top of that BIG mistake with BIG JIM around. Now I THINK Elin is right a gout Genny and riding $1200/mo sounds step but.... there again no price on quility, me though I'd be SHOT for doing western style trail riding and not English style show riding lol.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

The $1200 is for training and

The $1200 is for training and board for a show horse.

Hugs,
Karen

100 MPH

Not sure what that verbal exchange was all about. Ellen seems to be saying that Tina couldn't safely have driven that stretch of US-1 at a hundred miles an hour. Does that mean that after she saw Ellen and Ginny leave, Tina drove somewhere else first and then approached the stables from another direction?

Eric

She had to get ready first so

She had to get ready first so there was a lag before she left... but it seems like the joke went over Ginny's head or she was a little hurt at being left behind. Either way I hope that they patch things up.

And 100 mph on US1? Been there, nearly got sideswiped by maniacs going that fast in the Saugus stretch of the road too many times to count and never a Saugus or State Police cruiser when they do it!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

I once helped a friend corral

I once helped a friend corral a loose horse running back and forth on Route 1 north near Main Street. This was on a Sunday at 4 PM ! No accidents!

She did it from Peabody to Danvers.

Hugs,
Karen