What Milsy Did -11-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy is anxious to begin working on the promised clock but her day is side-tracked into more domestic matters. As she travels around the palace her appearance causes more confusion, especially following a visit to the Salon. Eventually Tarvan appears with good news of a sort, and with an unexpected gift!

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

11 - Domestic Concerns


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2016 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



When Milsy woke she was in even more of a state than she had been the previous morning. Far too much had happened to her yesterday and she wished for a quieter morning, though this warred with the desire to continue with the clock design.

I wonder when the clock will be delivered? I wonder if the clock will be delivered... no, I think the King will be somewhat annoyed if the Clockmakers drag their feet. They might delay it by a few days, though. I've come across their sort in the castle. "No, Master Samind, it isn't quite ready yet. We have to allow more days for the sediment to settle."

It would probably be better if it didn't appear for a day or so. I have to learn all these Guild rules and customs, most of which probably won't apply to me anyway.

I wonder when Rosilda will appear with that new work dress? Oh, perhaps if "Mistress Milsy" now has a proper existence I can go to the Palace Wardrobe to be fitted? I need more clothes if I am to be me some of the time.

Mistress Milsy! I still can't get used to the idea. Me, a lowly kitchen worker? The Queen must think highly of me but I don't think I can be as good as any of them. I know I have been doing a special assignment for the Crown but that just involved riding a carriage - with the King and Queen! - to the palace and then skulking about in Garia's chambers, pretending that I'm her.

Yesterday was probably the first time that I've been outside the palace and "might" have been Garia. Unfortunately, too many people know what she looks like and somebody will soon discover that I am not her. Once that happens... what, exactly?

I get to be me again, only not-me, since I'll be a freewoman and a journeywoman, not simply a kitchen servant.

She sighed and rolled over to face the windows.

Looks like my old life is ended. Fortunately the new one is definitely more interesting and it has compensations... like Tarvan. I hope I don't frighten him off. He already makes it sound as though I will be better than him. No chance!

Bursila appeared. "Good morning, Mistress."

Milsy propped herself up on one elbow. "You're calling me Mistress now? Why?"

"Because you are, Mistress. Outside these doors I must needs call you My Lady, but only when you travel as the Baroness. Since Her Majesty raised your status I should call you Mistress at all other times."

"Do you mind? Yesterday we were the same, I should hate to think that I am somehow better than you this morning."

"Oh, no, Mistress. The same thing happened to Lady Garia, you see, when she was created Baroness, and it made no difference to the way she treated us at all. I would say, though, that because she comes from lands where there are no nobles, she behaves differently. If she had been from a noble Palarand family it might have made a difference. I do not think that you will behave like that." Bursila shifted uncomfortably. "If I may use the toilet, Mistress."

"Of course!" Milsy threw the covers back and sat up. "I'll just stretch for a while and then we can get the bath going."

Milsy still had to hide when the breakfast trays were delivered. She wondered how long they could keep it up without rumor beginning to go round the palace.

If it hasn't already. Mayhap they all think the King is being over-protective. Of course some clever person will have already thought of the real reason why we do this and will be trying to convince everybody else that he or she is right.

The first arrival was Rosilda, carrying a garment over her arm.

"It is not finished, Milady, I have just brought it to check the fit."

The garment looked like a dress of a pale off-white color like unbleached parchment, made in one piece. The women trooped into the bedroom for Milsy to try it on.

"The exercise garments that you have been wearing were made specifically for Lady Garia's use," Rosilda explained. "That is why they have a separate skirt and why there is no back lacing. She was concerned with injuries when she tumbled and, of course, she did not wear the skirt at all while doing so."

"Do the guardsmen mind her exercising like that?"

"Oh, no, Milady! There was concern at first, of course, but these days the guardsmen are said to be more loyal to Lady Garia than they are to the King. As a matter of honor they would not take advantage of her, besides, I doubt that there are many who could succeed. I have seen her fight, Milady, and she can best most men in the palace."

Milsy raised her eyebrows. She knew of Garia's abilities but most of what she had been told seemed somewhat fanciful.

"Well, I may pretend to play such a part but I am no warrior. The King knows it, too, which is why there are so many men outside my door."

"Aye, Milady, and that is why this garment is a fairly normal dress. For you, we do not need a separate skirt and I have used back lacing. It will be so much simpler to put on or remove. If you would raise your arms."

Bursila said, "Rosilda, did you know that the Queen has raised Milsy to freewoman? It seems that she will soon become a guild journeywoman so the Queen decided to grant her freewoman status to satisfy the guilds."

"Oh, congratulations, Mistress! You resemble Lady Garia in many respects other than your size and looks so I am sure that you deserve it. Ah, does this mean I should address you thus whenever we meet?"

"So Bursila informs me, Rosilda. Milsy is taking on a more solid existence in the palace, I deem. If I'm careful, I can be me some of the time, which means that I'll have to come to the Wardrobe to select more clothing." She wrinkled her nose. "In Dekarran I did not go to the wardrobe there, it was more a question of finding something that fit from the pile of fresh laundry each day. Is it going to take some time?"

"It can do, Mistress, but for your first visit I doubt you will be more than half a bell. It is possible, of course, that in the future your needs will change and you will have to return. Did you desire to come today? I will probably have finished this dress by this afternoon and will be able to assist if so."

"I suppose so," Milsy said doubtfully. "There is just so much happening at the moment I don't know what I am likely to be doing in a bell's time! Perhaps, if the afternoon is quieter, I may venture the wardrobe."

"As you wish, Mistress. Bursila, do you yet know the way?"

"I think so, Rosilda. Lady Merizel has attended the Wardrobe on several occasions and it is not hard to find. Besides, I believe Tord knows the way."

"Tord? But... if she comes as Mistress Milsy then she will not require an escort."

Milsy was glum. "The King thinks that Bursila and I will be almost at much as risk as Lady Garia is, Rosilda. Even as myself, I now need an escort to leave these chambers."

"Oh, no! You have my sympathies, Mistress! Still, the men you have are the King's men, you could not be in better hands." Rosilda straightened the skirt. "There! How does that feel?"

Milsy turned and bent, then walked over to inspect herself in the mirror.

"It fits well and permits me to twist and bend, which may be needful in the laboratory. This material..."

"Aye, Mistress?"

Milsy smoothed her hands over the fabric. "It appears to be thicker at the front than at the sides and back. The skirt as well."

"Aye, I decided that that was where you would need most protection, Mistress. If I made it all as thick as the front, you would become too warm, so I found some matching, thinner material. Does it meet with your approval?"

"Aye, it does!" Milsy smiled at the seamstress. "It seems that working with Lady Garia has given you ideas. The sleeves?"

"I did not know, Mistress. You may become warm working near that furnace yet you would not want bare arms, I deem. I have made the sleeves elbow length to permit freedom of movement and to prevent your cuff catching in whatever you might be working on."

Milsy nodded. "Leave it like that, then, and I'll see how it copes with whatever I'll be doing. Thank you, Rosilda."

"If you are satisfied so far, the garment should be removed so that I may finish it."

"Surely!"

Milsy was about to say more but there was a knock at the bedroom door. Bursila hurried over and opened it a crack so that she could see the caller. She turned to Milsy.

"Mistress, the Queen is outside with a man who I do not know but looks familiar."

"Tell the Queen I am dressing and that we will join her as soon as we may."

"As you wish, Mistress."

It did not take long for Milsy to change back into her day gown, especially when the Queen was waiting. The three women joined her and the other visitor in her sitting room. Terys gestured at the man.

"Milsy, dear, this is Korben, who is one of the palace scribes. Parrel has suggested that you may need help in learning to read and write properly before you can be admitted to his guild. Korben has offered to give you such instruction as you may need."

Milsy curtseyed. "Master Korben, welcome."

Terys noticed Rosilda with a dress over her arm. "I did not know you were trying on a new gown, dear."

"Ah, this is a working dress for when I'm in the laboratory, Ma'am. Rosilda was checking that it fit properly before finishing it. I was just taking it off again when you called."

Milsy wasn't sure how much Korben had been told so didn't offer any further explanation.

"As you say, dear. Rosilda, I hope our latest treasure is not overworking you? I know she may have as many unusual ideas about attire as Garia does."

Rosilda curtseyed. "Ma'am, for Mistress Milsy I am presently only working on this dress. So far that is all she has asked for."

Terys noticed the change in form of address and smiled. "Good. I should like to see it on Milsy when it is finished."

"As you command, Ma'am. I intended to bring it back later today."

"So soon? You are a quick worker, I deem." Terys looked at each of the others. "I shall leave you all now to arrange your present affairs. Come, Kenila, Varna."

As Terys and her maids left the room they met with Tarvan, who bowed as the Queen went past. He entered the room, looking with interest at Korben.

"Master Korben, good morning. Am I interrupting anything? Should I leave?"

Milsy answered, "I don't think that will be necessary, Tarvan. Master Korben has been asked by the Queen to help me learn to read and write. He is one of the palace scribes."

Korben and Tarvan exchanged glances.

"We have met," Tarvan said, though he didn't explain. Milsy assumed that it was probably at meal times. "Master Korben," he continued, "I have endeavored to give Milsy what basic tuition I could but I am no scribe. She is a very fast learner, though, and you may be surprised by what she may already read."

Korben raised an eyebrow. "Indeed? Then perhaps we should begin with a document the Queen commissioned me to draw up yesterday afternoon."

He carried a satchel and began looking through the contents for something.

"Please, everybody sit," Milsy suggested. "Rosilda? If I may call at the wardrobe during the afternoon."

Rosilda took that as her cue to exit. She curtseyed. "As you wish, Mistress. Master Korben, Master Tarvan, if you would excuse me."

As the door closed behind the seamstress Korben handed Milsy a new scroll and then selected a chair. Milsy sat down herself and pulled open the ribbon binding the scroll, finding that it was a short document freshly written with a big wax seal at the bottom.

"Be it known that I, Terys, presently Queen of Palarand, having noted the talents and abilities of our servant Milsy, recently of Duke Gilbanar's demesne at Dekarran and now resident in our palace at Palarand, do grant and bestow upon her the title and style of Freewoman, from this day forward, in recognition of services undertaken for the Crown.

"Terys, this 4th day of Avilat in the year 1174 since the Great Flood."

Milsy stared at the Queen's carefully-formed signature at the bottom, next to the Royal Seal.

"Maker! I did not expect this, Tarvan." She turned to Korben. "What should I do with this scroll now, Master? Am I supposed to keep it somewhere?"

"I am impressed with your reading skills, Mistress. I did not think that you would be able to read most of it, especially since it is written in the formal language of a legal document. I gave it to you as a test of your reading ability but normally such documents as this would be kept in the palace as reference. I doubt any will dispute your status but the document is always there should any do so."

"Some of the words were awkward, Master Korben," Milsy replied, handing back the scroll, "but your writing is beautifully clear and well-formed. I have started to write but I find it difficult to control the reed, I could never hope to make my letters so well as you."

"Thank you, Mistress, for your kind words. As a Scribe I have practised for many years to ensure that my writing was clear and readable and of course that is even more important for legal documents such as this one. If you write enough then it is likely that your own letters will improve in time." He smiled. "It is much like the forks which Lady Garia brought to us. As with any tool, it takes time and practice to make the best use of something new."

He looked around and then addressed Milsy again. "I was expecting to find Lady Garia here this morning. Is she not present? I should pay my respects."

Milsy's reply was bland, vague and entirely true, though not in the fashion that Korben assumed.

"I regret that since Lady Garia's stay in Dekarran she has been very busy. She left the palace earlier and I do not know when she will return, Master Korben. As you know the King is very anxious for her safety after recent incidents and he would prefer to keep her movements vague. I hope you understand."

Korben nodded. "There has been much rumor in the palace and I have noted the men who guard the corridor. A pity that we cannot even walk by ourselves within the King's palace any more."

"I don't think that you are in any danger, Master Korben. However, any who wear the colors of Blackstone may be, so some of those men are protecting myself and my maid Bursila. It is a nuisance but we are getting used to it."

"You have my sympathies, Mistress. Now, as to business. Am I interrupting something? Master Tarvan?"

Tarvan smiled. "Milsy has become my assistant in the laboratory, Master Korben." The scribe nodded. "We have been working together on some matters concerning the Great Clock, but your own presence here is more important, I deem. Come, let us all sit at the table and you may discover how much these two have learned. I myself have been teaching both to read and write, though I am no scribe."

Both Korben's eyebrows rose. "Then let us begin. It seems I may not have as much work to do as I first feared."

* * *

Milsy put her knife and fork down on her empty lunch plate and leaned back.

"Master Korben used our morning up completely," she remarked to Tarvan. "Had you planned to continue this afternoon with our clock redesign?"

He shook his head. "I had not, Milsy. If it were to be a new design, as when we made the steam engines, then it would make sense to continue planning. However, we must needs adapt an existing design and we cannot do that until we know what the existing design looks like."

"As you say. It is frustrating, is it not? I have so many ideas in my head and I know not what to do with any of them! Have you had any further thoughts about obtaining a second clock?"

Tarvan's smile was rueful. "Aye, but since we have not yet received the first it will be difficult to ask for another. Remember also that it will be the King who pays for it. Master Parrel presently funds our electrical work but this is of a different kind."

"Perhaps the Queen may help. She knows what we intend and I am told she is clever with the use of coin."

"Aye, but only to save it, Milsy. I cannot answer this riddle."

"Let me think on the matter over my nap. Oh. I may not be available much this afternoon, I have to make a visit to the Wardrobe."

"As you say and I wish you joy of it. If that is so then I will take the opportunity to go to our Guildhall and beg some more supplies of copper, brass and solder. We will need them once the clock is delivered. I will join you after the evening meal if you have no objection."

"As you wish." She rose. "I had better go outside before the servants come for the food trays. Until later."

After her nap, taking her customary pel with the Queen, she was asked, "What are you doing this afternoon, dear? Are you going to visit Rosilda?"

"Aye, Ma'am. I am told that I may choose some clothing from the Wardrobe for myself, by your leave."

"Of course, dear! Now that people are comfortable seeing you about the palace you will need your own attire." Terys considered. "Remember that the Wardrobe must clothe all who live and work in the palace, dear, and be careful what you choose. The attire of a servant is no longer suitable for you but if you choose gowns that are too fine you might be mistaken for Garia..." Terys smiled, "... when you are not supposed to be mistaken for her."

"I understand, Ma'am."

"Oh, and before you go to the Wardrobe, Bursila will take you to the Salon. Your hair is beginning to grow out and it will look better trimmed and shaped, I deem. Bursila, you may attend too. Whenever your mistress attends the Salon then you may enjoy the service at the same time."

Bursila curtseyed. "Thank you, Ma'am."

Back in their own suite Milsy asked, "Tell me about the Salon, Bursila. I knew there was one in the castle but I never had anything to do with it."

"It is a place where the appearance of anyone who lives or works in the palace may be looked after, Mistress," Bursila explained. "I have been there on several occasions with Lady Merizel and we had our hair trimmed and styled. It is also possible to have your fingernails and toenails trimmed and shaped and your face cleaned, eyebrows shaped, that kind of thing. Men also attend to have themselves shaved, if they do not do it for themselves, or to have beards trimmed and the like."

"Ah, I see. That will be interesting, I deem."

"It can be very relaxing, Mistress. Only... Mistress Shelda sometimes does not take note of what you are saying, Mistress. I am told there was a scene when Lady Garia first presented herself there and the Queen had to intervene."

"Oh, really? I'll be extra careful then, Bursila. Is there anything we should do before we go?"

Bursila looked Milsy up and down. "I believe that you are presentable, Mistress."

This time they only had Skanik and Taren for escort as Bursila led the way through the rear portions of the palace towards the Salon. This seemed to be a long, narrow room with chairs for patrons facing a row of mirrors, two of which were occupied by women servants having their hair trimmed, Milsy thought they should stop here but Bursila continued through to another chamber, Milsy and their escorts following.

This second chamber was furnished much better and the seating looked more comfortable. Standing watching them appear was a plump woman in a lavender dress with a white apron over it. Bursila bobbed a curtsey.

"Mistress Shelda, this is Mistress Milsy, recently become a resident in the palace. The Queen has asked that you attend her hair and perhaps any other needs."

"Of course! If the Queen requests, I must oblige. And yourself? Does the Queen desire that you should be treated too?" The woman peered at Bursila. "I know you, do I not? But you came with a noblewoman before, I deem."

"If it please you, I am Bursila, formerly maid to Lady Merizel, daughter of Baron Kamodar of South Reach. The circumstances through which I am now the maid of Mistress Milsy are complicated and involve the attack on Lady Garia in Dekarran castle."

"Ah, I thought I knew you. Very well, I will find someone to attend you as well. Another attack on Lady Garia? Perhaps I should learn more."

"I regret I am not able to divulge more without the permission of the King, Mistress Shelda. The King is so concerned that any who wear the colors of Blackstone must needs travel with an escort, even within the palace."

Shelda turned and stared at the two guardsmen. "This is a most unusual circumstance," she told them. "Even Her Majesty does not come to the Salon attended by guardsmen! Are you going to get in my way?"

Taren replied, "Mistress, our job is to try and stay out of everybody's way, but we must be near enough to assist Mistress Milsy should anything happen. If we could stand at the back, one each end of the chamber?"

Shelda considered this briefly. "Very well." Her attention turned to Bursila. "It seems you must needs be attended in here with your mistress, to avoid having guardsmen all over my chambers. Sit and I will summon someone."

Without waiting for a response Shelda walked out of the far door and returned with an assistant. There then followed much directing and organizing which left Milsy glad for the first time that she had been promoted and was not involved. She climbed into a free chair and made herself comfortable, Bursila reluctantly sitting in the next chair. Shelda came and wrapped a cape around Milsy to catch any cut hair.

"There! Now I may attend you, Mistress." Shelda combed Milsy's hair, looking at it critically. "You wear the style of Lady Garia but it has not been cut very well. Did you not use the services of the Salon when you were in Dekarran?"

This woman already knows where I come from! I had better answer very carefully.

A place like this is going to be seething with gossip. One wrong word and there could be trouble.

"I regret that I was unable to," Milsy replied briefly. "As I said, the circumstances were unusual."

"Humph. You wish me to make it presentable? Your face is not the same shape as that of Lady Garia, mayhap you could choose a different style? That would mean letting it grow out, of course, but I would make it tidy it for you today."

Milsy pretended to think. "No, I think I would like to keep it the same as Lady Garia for now, please. It seems to be the fashionable style among us younger women."

"As you desire, Mistress. And do you use karzal-nut oil? It seems to make a considerable difference to the appearance."

"If you please, Mistress Shelda. We do have a bottle of the oil but there is not much left. Can you supply us with more or do I have to ask someone else? I am not familiar with how things work in the palace."

"Of course, Mistress, I shall arrange it for you. Now, if you would hold your head steady."

Shelda clipped, trimmed and shaped, making Milsy's hair look more like that of Garia than Bursila had ever managed. To her surprise Milsy found that she liked the finished style, particularly once the oil had been applied, and resolved to keep it once her acting days were ended.

As Shelda was brushing the stray hairs from Milsy's cape she asked, "Mistress, are you by chance related to Lady Garia? There is a strong resemblance."

"Since I have been in the palace a number of people have asked me that, Mistress Shelda, but no, we are not related. It is just a coincidence, that is all. Sometimes it is a nuisance when I am mistaken for her."

"I can understand that. Yet you work for her, is that not so?"

"Well..." How do I explain this away? With the truth, I suppose. "It is true that I am a retainer of House Blackstone but I am presently working with Guildsman Tarvan. Since the royal party returned from Dekarran I have not seen much of Lady Garia. She is too busy these days, I deem."

"As you say! I doubt that there are many who have seen her since she returned, especially if the King is anxious over her safety. Does she not resent the restrictions put upon her?"

"The same restrictions are put on me, Mistress Shelda, and yes, they can be unwelcome at times. But, if you consider the alternative, I am content."

"The alternative, Mistress?"

"Being kidnapped, injured or killed."

"Oh! How frightening! Aye, Mistress, you are right. I shall never look at guardsmen the same way again."

Shelda removed the cape, shook it and stalked off into the other chamber, shouting for someone to attend her. After some fuss and a little delay she returned with a small bottle of oil which she handed to Milsy.

"There! Does your maid know how and when it is to be applied? Of course she does, if you already have some. And your maid is also finished. You will need to come back about every two to three weeks to keep your style in shape. I find that the shorter styles which Lady Garia has started among some of the palace staff need more attention than our traditional longer hair, don't you agree?"

"I do, Mistress Shelda, and thank you for seeing me. Come, Bursila, we have much to do this afternoon."

With Taren leading the way the small party headed across the width of the palace to the Wardrobe. There was a small antechamber with an office to one side and two changing rooms. Bursila led Milsy into the office while the two guardsmen waited in the antechamber. Seated inside behind a desk was a noblewoman who looked up as they entered.

"Lady Garia! Welcome again to the Wardrobe department. What can we do for you today?"

"Um," Milsy said, "I regret I am not Lady Garia but one of her retainers. I am Milsy, who was invited to join House Blackstone in Dekarran. Recently the Queen granted me the status of Freewoman."

The woman gave Milsy a piercing glance before nodding briefly. "Ah, I see. I thought... No matter. I am Baroness Dyenna, Mistress of the Wardrobe. Have you visited us since you arrived at the palace?"

"I have not, My Lady, but I believe Rosilda has already made a tally in my name. She has been making a working dress for me suitable for use in the laboratory."

"The... laboratory? I have heard the word, it seems, but I do not know what or where that might be."

"Oh! It is what Lady Garia calls the big workshop which is part of the chambers of the Royal Questor. I am working in there under the guidance of Guildsman Tarvan on his electrical experiments."

Another nod. "In that case... you desire to consult Rosilda? Or could another satisfy your needs?"

Again Milsy pretended to think. It might be interesting one day to be able to just come and see what was on offer but right now the situation was tricky. For today it would be safer to have someone who already knew what was going on.

"My Lady, I believe that I would prefer Rosilda if she is available. She is aware that I intended to come here this afternoon to collect the dress."

"As you say, Lady Garia. Oh!" Dyenna stammered, "Your pardon, I meant to say Mistress... Milsy, was it?"

"Milsy, aye, that is correct."

"If you would wait here, I will go and find her."

Dyenna stood and left the office. Milsy looked around at the careful piles of documents on the desk and the rows and rows of little cubical holes which lined three of the walls. Many held more little piles of parchment and Milsy thought that there might be one per person. Only... there weren't that many people working or living in the palace, surely?

Dyenna appeared with Rosilda who collected a set of documents from one of the filing holes. The seamstress led the way out of the office and through a side door into a courtyard which was filled with wooden huts.

"Rosilda, I noticed a lot of little storage holes in that office. The palace doesn't employ that many people, surely?"

"Indeed not, Mistress. The storage holes to the right of Lady Dyenna's desk hold our measurements and what garments we have been issued while those behind us and to our left presently hold the measurements and location of every garment, item of footwear, hat or accessory which is in the wardrobe and not presently issued." She half-smiled. "Before Lady Dyenna started, just after the rains ended, many of the other holes were used for residents and staff including many who had long since died. We spent several weeks clearing the old information and materials from the wardrobe and we have not yet finished."

"Interesting. Is this something I need to find out about?"

"As you wish, Mistress, though I believe, knowing Lady Garia's activities, you will probably be too busy to concern yourself with the tribulations of the Wardrobe. If you would enter this hut, please."

Just inside the doorway was a cobbler seated at a last and surrounded by his tools, working on some kind of boot. He attempted to struggle to his feet when Milsy entered.

"My Lady! Excuse me, I -"

Milsy held up a hand. "I'm sorry, I am not Lady Garia, despite appearances. I have only recently discovered that we look very similar. I'm Milsy and I work for Lady Garia."

The man looked confused. "If you say so, My L- Ah, I mean, Milsy. Or should that be Mistress Milsy? I do not know you."

"I am a freewoman, aye, but made so only recently. I would not be offended if you just use my name. You are?"

The man bowed. "I am Steben, Jord's son, Mistress. I remember now," he said as he caught sight of Rosilda, "I provided a pair of shoes for you recently, though without testing them for fit. If you would spare a few moments for me to draw your pattern?"

"Of course, Steben."

The cobbler produced a rectangle of parchment and made Milsy stand on it in her bare feet. He then drew round the feet to get the shape before taking some further measurements of each foot which he noted inside the shapes. When he had finished he smiled at her and bowed.

"There, Mistress. If we are asked to make any further footwear for you it will be more likely to fit you properly. Do you need anything from me today?"

Milsy looked at Rosilda, who shrugged. She turned back to Steben.

"Not at present, Steben. I am here to look at... the gowns, I deem."

She gestured at the rails of gowns which filled most of the rest of the hut.

Steben smiled. "Then I will wish you the joy of the hunt, Mistress."

There were three rails with a narrow passage between each. All were stuffed with gowns of all shapes, sizes, styles, fabrics and colors. Part of Milsy was eager to rifle the rails and find out what was there but another part quailed.

"I'm not sure," she told Rosilda. "What do I do? Can I just go and select anything I like? How many should I have? There seems to be so many to choose from!"

"Not so many, Mistress. The gowns and dresses are arranged roughly by size and function. You will discover that most will not fit you, will be of colors or materials you do not desire or are of styles which do not suit you." She looked down at the documents in her hand. "If you would follow me, I will show you the area where the garments which are more likely to fit you will hang."

As Rosilda led the way between the racks Milsy asked, "How many should I need, then?"

"Perhaps five day gowns, Mistress, and three evening gowns." Rosilda lowered her voice. "If I may suggest, Lady Garia has a preference for green attire so it would be better if you avoided that color."

"As it happens I like blue so there shouldn't be a problem, but it might be an opportunity to try some other colors. Where will I try them on? Is there a mirror anywhere in here?"

"We have two changing rooms beside the office, Mistress. Once you have selected some gowns we will go back and find out if any alterations are required."

At the end of an exhausting bell of hunting the three women emerged from the hut, each with five gowns over one arm. Milsy was not expected to take all of them but there was a wide variety of colors and styles to discover what suited her height and proportions. They went back to the changing rooms and began the second equally exhausting part of the operation, that of trying everything on.

"Whatever made me think that yellow was a good color for a gown?"

"It depends on your hair and skin color, Mistress," Rosilda replied. "Princess Elizet often wore yellow, though I admit in paler tones than this. I will return it to the rails... or perhaps I will ask Lady Dyenna if it should be retired. I doubt any will wear such a bright color these days, the fashion is for much subtler tones."

Several more were discarded and Milsy was left with seven day gowns in various colors plus three evening gowns, two suitable for wear outside the palace. The three trooped into the office where Dyenna was absorbed in some calculations.

"If you would just permit me one moment... where was I? Ah. Seventeen... eighteen, nineteen."

She made a mark on a paper list and looked up.

"Lady Garia! You have found all that you require? I have your tally here."

She picked up a thick wad of documents and held out her other hand to Rosilda for the garment tags.

Rosilda said, "Milady, this is not Lady Garia but her retainer Milsy. I have added the new gowns to her tally."

"Oh!" Dyenna looked embarrassed. "Of course, how silly of me. You do look like Lady Garia, I deem. Are you not related in some way?"

Milsy replied, "Not that we have been able to discover, Milady. The resemblance is unfortunate."

"As you say."

"I have been choosing some different styles of gowns to make the difference more apparent," Milsy added as an explanation.

"How thoughtful of you, Mistress."

Dyenna stood, placing Garia's tally back on the table, then took Milsy's tally from Rosilda and searched for the filing hole to store it.

"Ah, My Lady," Rosilda said. "You are about to put Mistress Milsy's tally in Lady Garia's place."

"I am? Oh! Whatever is the matter with me this afternoon! You are correct, Rosilda." She moved to another part of the wall. "There, that is the right place, is it not? I will see that your chosen gowns are delivered sometime today, Mistress."

Back in the antechamber Rosilda curtseyed. "If that is all, Mistress, I will leave you to find your own way back."

"Thank you, Rosilda, for your time. I can come back sometime?"

"Surely, whenever your needs change, Mistress."

"Then we must go. Come on, boys! I want to go to the laboratory before we go back to the suite."

On the way through the corridors, Milsy remarked, "I thought you said that Shelda was going to be the problem, Bursila."

"I did, Mistress, and that was because of problems that Lady Garia had there when she first went. I believe that the Queen was asked to intervene and that may have made her more careful since." Bursila shook her head. "I do not know what was wrong with Lady Dyenna, Mistress. Perhaps it is the fact that your hair is now more like that of Lady Garia than before, and you still wear one of her gowns."

"Oh! Aye, that had never occurred to me, Bursila. I should have worn one of the new ones and returned the old one to our chambers with the others. That may have helped... but it may mean that we cause other confusions today."

"Mistress, I believe that it will not matter what you wear or when, with that hairstyle you are certain to be mistaken for Lady Garia in the future."

"I think you are right but of course that was the original idea, was it not? It is something I will just have to accept, I deem." She smiled. "Mayhap we can have some fun when Garia returns to the palace. I'm sure she will agree."

At the laboratory the door was locked and all was silent.

"Mistress, Master Tarvan said that he was going to the Guildhall this afternoon and would not join you until after the evening meal."

"Of course. I forgot. I was hoping the new clock had been delivered."

"It may have been, Mistress, but it may have arrived with the ordinary goods of the palace and be somewhere awaiting delivery."

"Oh, like a local sorting room or something? We have one of those at the castle, I was amazed anything ever went to the right person. I will just have to wait, then. Taren? I'm sorry we had to come over here, take us back to the suite, please."

"As you wish, Mistress."

Their route passed the end of the corridor that led to the Family Dining Room and it was full of servants preparing for the evening meal. There was much bowing and scraping which Milsy was careful to acknowledge. The rest of their journey to the suite was uninterrupted.

In the sitting room, seated at the table and facing the window, was the court jeweler Fulvin. In front of him was Garia's trousers and he had magnifying glass, reed, ink and parchment to hand. As Milsy entered the room he shot to his feet, startled, before spluttering with confusion.

"Guild- !" He did a double-take. "Uh, but you are not the Guildmistress! Your hair, your bearing, you are so much like her!" Fulvin calmed down and gave Milsy a bow. "I am sorry that I have invaded your chambers while you were absent, Mistress, the men outside explained that you were visiting the Wardrobe. As you may see, I have taken the opportunity to examine again this amazing device on these trousers which the Guildmistress calls a zipper. I believe that it may be possible to make one like it in time, but before I do so I must understand exactly how it works."

"Please continue, Master Fulvin. I have inspected the zipper for myself and would be interested in what you learn."

Fulvin resumed his seat and Milsy joined him. She saw that he had written many notes and diagrams with his theories of how the device operated, holding the trousers at every angle to see if there was any part or feature he had missed. As she sat down Fulvin's face became animated.

"Congratulations, Mistress Milsy, on becoming a freewoman, and congratulations again on your enrolment as Journeywoman. I have heard about your experiments with the pendulum and I feel certain that in time you will become a fine guildswoman."

"Thank you, Master Fulvin."

"Now, as to this zipper. Before the Guildmistress departed for Dekarran and the north she told us of a tool known to her people as a vertical press. I have made such a device and intend to use it to make parts for my zipper. You will note that there are very many of these teeth on each side of the zipper and it can be readily understood that such a quantity could not be made by hand."

"We-ll, it would be possible, I suppose, but you are right, of course."

"For a prototype, maybe, but the Guildmistress tells us that these items are made in countless thousands and sewn into the many clothes her people wear. Some kind of machine must exist and that is what I seek to understand. For she also tells us that most of the goods and devices her people use are made in this way and that we will soon require like machines in Palarand to serve the same purpose."

Milsy considered this. "I see what you imply, Master Fulvin. While the production of these zippers may be a useful exercise by itself, there is some underlying principle you intend to discover, is that it?"

Fulvin beamed at Milsy. "You understand perfectly, Mistress! The Guildmistress tells us her world is full of machines and it is not difficult to imagine that Anmar will have so many in future years. We must seek to learn how this may be accomplished."

Milsy gestured. "What have you discovered, then?"

Fulvin explained his notes, showing how the various parts of the zipper came together to keep the opening securely closed. While he was doing this a knock came at the door and Taren poked his head round.

"Master, Mistress, the servants are outside with the evening meal for the Baroness."

"Oh! Quickly, they must not see me in here! Master Fulvin, bring the trousers and your notes, they will require the table to be clear to put down the dishes."

Milsy grabbed the ink pot and the reed and made for the bedroom, followed closely by Bursila. Fulvin followed carrying his notes and the trousers. Once they had found somewhere to put everything safely Bursila returned to the sitting room to supervise the setting out of the table for their meal.

"Shall you stay to eat, Master Fulvin?"

"I regret I must join His Majesty this evening, Mistress. I had not realized that it was so late. If I may return tomorrow?"

"I will probably be in the laboratory tomorrow, Master Fulvin, but you are welcome to return here if that is what is required."

He waved his wad of notes. "I think I have enough for now, I must go away and consider my next step. For each of these different parts - only three, it is true - I must make a suitable cutter for the press. For the slide it appears that I may require several tools to bend the cut blank into the correct shape. I deem that is how the original is made. Those will take me some time to design and make."

Fulvin departed and the two women settled down to enjoy their meal. Once the dishes had been collected Milsy waited impatiently for the appearance of Tarvan. Her twitchy manner was apparent to Bursila.

"Mistress, you do not need me to remind you but you would be better served by waiting calmly. Master Tarvan will no doubt appear when it is time for him to appear and not before, so you are wasting time and effort which could be better used elsewhere."

Milsy realized what she was doing and relaxed onto the settee.

"You're right, Bursila. When I worked in the castle there were very few occasions when there wasn't something that had to be done so I am unused to waiting for things to happen. Tell me, how does Garia manage? I'm sure she said something about training the mind but I do not remember the details."

"You are right, Mistress, Lady Garia has brought some mental exercises from Earth which she uses to great effect. It enables her to remain calm when faced with great stress, but I doubt not that they are of benefit at other times also."

"That's true! I remember her mentioning them when we were there but I don't think she gave any details, though. I'll ask her when she returns. What do you propose we do instead, then?"

"Mistress, there are always the Guild rules and regulations."

Milsy pulled a face. "They can wait, I deem. What about all those gowns I received from the wardrobe? If they had arrived then we could spend some time organizing the rails in the dressing room."

"They had already arrived, Mistress, before we returned here. They were placed in the dressing room and I hung them up while you were in the toilet."

Milsy pulled another face. "You are not helping!" She stood. "Perhaps I had better go and see what has been delivered. Didn't somebody say that they occasionally made mistakes?"

A knock came at the door, it opened, and Tarvan entered. The tension completely drained out of Milsy the moment he appeared.

"Ooh! Just in time! I was beginning to wonder why you were delayed."

He smiled at her. "Pleased to see me, then?"

"Of course! Come in and make yourself comfortable."

"I cannot remain long, Milsy. I have spent all day at the Guildhall and have not eaten yet."

"What! Bursila, can we ask for food for Tarvan? To be sent up, I mean?"

"Why, Mistress, I do not know. If you would permit me to ask those outside."

Tarvan said, "Do not trouble yourself, Bursila. As I said, I cannot remain here long, only long enough to tell you that the clock will arrive tomorrow morning and will be delivered directly to the laboratory."

"That's good! We'll be able to get to work straight away."

"Not so good, Milsy. First we will have to remove the working parts from an ornate wooden case. We were given a clock that was about to be delivered to Lord Tafren of West Bend." Tarvan showed disgust. "I think the clockmakers desire to cause strife between Lord Tafren and the King's Court, with the Metalsmiths in the middle. Master Parrel is considering what reply he may make once he knows what all parties think of the business. My own thought is that he will immediately inform the King."

"Politics! At least as a servant I did not have to think about any of that nonsense."

"True, but you are no longer a servant. You will soon be a guildswoman and, even if you do not do anything political yourself, you will have to be aware of what is happening around you."

"As you say. But why must you go? You can eat here, I am sure."

"I am wanted for a meeting elsewhere in the palace, Milsy. A... private meeting, if you may understand me. One that the Guildmistress would attend, were she in residence. Have no fear, I will find sufficient to eat this evening before I retire."

"Oh, the Council of the Two Worlds?"

Tarvan winced. "Do not repeat that name outside these chambers, I beg you. And now, I should go. They will be waiting for me." His eyes fixed Milsy with a peculiar look that went right through her to the core. "There is one final matter I must needs attend to before I leave and it is something that I ought to have done long since. Bursila, by your leave?"

The sudden switch threw Milsy. She looked at Bursila, who nodded gravely. Tarvan reached up and gently took Milsy's face between his hands, tilted it and kissed her soundly upon the lips. When the stars subsided and the roaring in her ears faded away he had gone. Milsy looked at Bursila again.

"Did you know that he was going to do that?"

"I did not know exactly what, Mistress, but I suspected something of the sort. Do you object?"

"Oh, no, Bursila, I do not object at all!"

up
281 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice continuation!

And the Indices, chapter links etc. have been updated!
J

Ooooooh, me doth believe

Ooooooh, me doth believe Tarvan has more on his mind than the Council of Two Worlds. Is the word love circling in the air?

Well...

This being a spinoff of Somewhere Else Entirely, I believe we've already seen what comes of most of the events in this story there. Have you read it? It's definitely worth the time!

Still

To quote a villain from one of my favorite shows: "Even if you know how the story ends, that doesn't make it any less fun to watch"

Clock

I hope that they refuse to work on a clock that's being used as a political tool, or more accurately, refuse to be used AS political tools, they could consider it an insult to justify getting TWO clocks, with basic housings, though it would take a while...

To steal apage

from Dorthy's style...

"Oh, no, Bursila, I do not object at all!" That made me smile!

Not only stars

Jamie Lee's picture

Garia flys around and so does Milsy. Garia has the knowledge from Earth, and Milsy has ideas how to improve the clock and once Tarvin shows her more, she'll get more ideas.

Milsy differs from Garia in that she can determine how something works then see ways to make changes or add to them.

Milsy only saw stars when Tarvin kissed her? She didn't have to uncurl her toes?

Others have feelings too.