Anchored - Part 25 "Targets"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
 
Twenty Five

 

"Targets"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

 
Friday 23rd October
 

It hadn't been an easy week for Tammy, not by any stretch. Elsie's revelation on Sunday evening had been hard enough, then they found out she had been given three months, four at best. Elsie was now sorting out her legacy.

Tammy had half expected the venerable lady would let it get to her, but Elsie was resolute that there was still work to be done. Tammy wondered, mid week, if she could ever have the strength that Elsie was showing.

Cathy seemed to have taken it better than the others but Tammy guessed that she'd been given advance warning, possibly even accompanying Elsie to her appointment with the oncologist. Michael had not been comfortable once the news was known and Tammy hadn't seen him since. So, on Monday morning, Tammy still felt sad when she joined the others for the ride over to Wick Sheriffs Court.

The actual hearing was not what Tammy had expected. The Procurator Fiscal, presiding, held the hearing in a side room and explained that this was a fact gathering exercise, not a full Fatal Accident Inquiry. Elsie and the twins were excluded from the room so went shopping. Apart from Cathy and a clutch of solicitors, the only others there were Sgt St James and the Assistant Prison Governor who had mistakenly released Yvonne Stewart. All other depositions were taken from statements.

The Procurator Fiscal was scathing of the Prison's role, two ladies by the name of Yvonne Stewart had been on remand and the wrong one had been released on bail. This, he'd said, was at best ineptitude and at worst a deliberate criminal act.

He told Cathy that his report would take a week or two, but he would apportion blame where appropriate. He was also content that the funeral could proceed. By one in the afternoon it was concluded; the Prison Officer left swiftly, she looked quite pale. The weather didn't help, it was bucketing down, driven by a fierce South-Westerly.

The headmaster had called the Smart's home on Monday and had spoken to Pru to check if Tammy could be available at the end of the week to talk to the lower sixth. The topic was to discuss their choices when they finish school, as some were remaining in the Thurso. When Tammy called back, on Tuesday, she spoke to Janet Adams and suggested a date the following week, but that was half term. It was put back another week, depending on whether the Head still wanted it.

Helen had arrived back from Cyprus on Sunday evening, flying into Manchester, and arrived in Thurso on Monday afternoon. Tammy guessed she knew in advance about Elsie's diagnosis, but the girl had said nothing, nothing that didn't relate directly to her holiday anyway.

On Tuesday morning, just after eight, John Hibbert had called to say there was a leak in the Thurso offices of Smith, Smith & Smith that Tammy owned. Then Hilary called with the same problem at the other building. When she got hold of a roofing contractor he told her the earliest he could do was Thursday lunchtime, she was eighth on his list.

That meant using buckets to catch the drips, although she decided it was easier to buy a few plastic dustbins and use those instead - until it came to emptying them! The calls from Smith, Smith & Smith were turning from 'concerned' to 'irritated' to 'annoyed'. In the end, on Tuesday afternoon, the solicitors said they were leaving the offices until the roof was fixed and wouldn't pay rent for the duration.

Hilary meanwhile wasn't making threatening noises, unless that included telling Tammy there was work for her to do.

Fleur had arranged her doctor's appointment for Thursday but Tammy had to be on site dealing with the roofing contractor, which had upset Fleur. The resultant text message couldn't be clearer:

You're just like the rest

By Friday, Tammy had upset at least half a dozen folk, was out of pocket, had strained relations with her tenants and was fatigued.

"Tammy, it's Sarah, can you see me today?"

"Lunchtime?"

"Not earlier?"

"Sorry, I have some things to catch up with."

"Okay, about one?"

Tammy had been down for breakfast, had seen everyone leave for work and now went back to lay on her bed, promptly falling asleep.

She woke to someone knocking on her bedroom door.

"Huh? Yes?"

"Miss Tamara, would you like some lunch?"

"What time is it?"

"Half past twelve."

"I need a shower, I'll be down in fifteen."

"I'll let cook know."

"Thanks Lily."

As Tammy dragged herself into the shower she wondered, since the beginning of September she'd only seen Lily a handful of times, but she saw Zara almost daily.

She stopped in the study on her way to the kitchen. "Anything for me Pru?"

"The solicitors have confirmed they'll move back in on Monday. They're asking for conformation of the rent reduction."

"I'll give them two days, they could have been back there today."

"Okay, and Hilary would like to see you, is your phone off?"

"I haven't turned it off, but it might be dead though as I don't remember charging it last night."

"I'll sort that out."

"Thanks."

The house phone rang, Pru had gone upstairs and Tammy was almost at the kitchen door, she backtracked to the study.

"Hello?"

"Ah, Tammy, it's Elsie."

"Hello, what can I do for you?"

"Could you do something with Helen, she's getting on my nerves."

"That's a bit awkward today, I have to go down to see Sarah and then up to the office and that's off-limits."

"When will you be back?"

"Five-ish, I guess."

"Oh, never mind."

"Is there no-one else?"

"No, unfortunately. Is Angela around?"

"I think she's with a health visitor every day at the moment. Her course is much more involved than mine. When is Helen starting university?"

"Not before next autumn I believe, perhaps she could do a short course?"

"That sounds like a good idea, Elsie."

"Excellent, can you research that? Bye."

The line went dead. Tammy dragged herself into the kitchen, her appetite barely registering.

***

She arrived at Sarah's shop close to two, the sun had just broken through the clouds and Thurso was bright but chilly.

"Ah, good, you're here."

"Sorry, Sarah, it's been a lousy day so far, a lousy week in fact."

"Well, just to bring you up to speed, my daughter Emily will be in Thurso tonight and will be here tomorrow, but she'll be backwards and forwards to Inverness most of the week."

"Okay, so you'd still like me to look after the shop?"

"Yes, please. Martina has decided she can't help me any more but with Emily here we should be okay tomorrow."

"Did Martina say why?"

"She has to be available at four for any evening waitress duties apparently and will do some Saturday lunchtimes."

"So what do we do about Saturdays?"

"Can you sort that out whilst I'm in hospital? I doubt I'll be fit to be here next weekend so you'll need someone."

"I'll see if Lori's available next week as there's no theatre until the seventh."

"That's an idea, can you see if she's free tomorrow, especially if you're free, so Emily can help me at home?"

"I'll check."

Sarah sorted out a set of keys and made sure Tammy had the current alarm code. Tammy did have an override code, as owner, but this was locked in her safe at home.

"How's business at the moment?"

"Mondays to Thursdays are a bit slow but it was good this morning and there'll probably be a flurry around three. Saturdays are usually steady until around one then tail off."

"So it's not changed much."

"No, I was thinking of closing on a Monday but I get some deliveries on Monday afternoons and I receive orders from the islands Monday morning which they'll need for the end of the week. You'll have to handle that."

Sarah showed Tammy the relevant ledgers.

"I know it's not hi-tech but it's simple when I'm trying to serve and I can put the ledger on the counter. I write it up into the laptop when I get home."

"It looks simple enough."

"Good. Put any invoices or delivery notes in the safe when you've checked and entered them, I'll sort them out when I get out of hospital. I'll have plenty of time on my hands."

"When do you think you'll be back down here?"

"I should take a few weeks off, when are you free?"

"I have coursework to do, as well as attending college, plus I work for the agency upstairs. With the way this week has gone, I didn't even manage time for that and I haven't touched my coursework since Sunday."

"So I can't rely on you?"

"Sorry, Sarah, I'll help when I can but it'll have to be on a day to day basis. I guess you won't be able to drive for a while?"

"I should be able to, but I'll need one of those inflatable cushions."

"Maybe Emily can get one in Inverness?"

"Sure."

Tammy made her excuses and left, she'd promised Sarah she would run the shop whilst Sarah was in hospital but there was no way she could dedicate any more of her time. She still had some research for Elsie and now needed to call Lori. One could be done immediately.

"Hi this is Lori, I'm sorry I'm not available ..."

Of course, it was barely two fifteen and Lori's phone would be in her room, turned off.

She walked around to the rear of the building and let herself into the upstairs office.

"Oh, hello Ben."

"Hi Tammy, I was hoping you'd be here this afternoon."

"Oh?"

Hilary came out of her private office to join Tammy and DS Ben Franklin.

"Ah, Tammy, I asked Ben to help us, concerning Penny Lane. We need a hand identifying everyone who was with Ms Lane back in March."

"I guess you can get that information from the hotel records?"

"Yes Tammy, but that's by an arrangement with the hoteliers, and the information wouldn't be admissible in court."

"My guess here is that this won't be more than an intelligence gathering exercise?"

Hilary nodded, "that's correct. Your friend Heather has supplied me with copies of the reports and information you supplied in March and from that we have identified some of the group."

Ben continued, "and using that data I have obtained the credit card details for Ms Lane and several others from the hotels."

"But is there a link to the Trethgarwyn family?"

Ben had plainly not been informed about this aspect, Hilary glared but then nodded at Tammy to continue.

"I was using the fashion show for my A Level Business Studies but I was sent the wrong accounts at first, this included an order for a set of dosimeters." Tammy continued, explaining the link with Chris Jones, his uncle Thomas Young plus the two Trethgarwyn brothers, one of whom had been a police officer.

"So you suspected a breach at the Royal Navy place?"

"It seemed that something was going to happen, but all that happened was that one member of staff was sacked. Patrick was sacked from the Police sometime after that."

"So why would they need radiation monitors?"

"Good question, my guess is that Dounreay is still a secure site?"

"Yes, Tammy, but this was seven months ago?"

Hilary intervened, "plainly we have more questions than answers. Any more help that you can give us will be appreciated."

"Of course," concluded Ben, "we're all batting for the same team, aren't we?"

Ben left the building and Hilary relaxed.

"Tammy, you gave Ben intel I wasn't prepared to release."

"Sorry, but it seemed relevant."

"Relevance does not imply that you can discuss it with a third party."

"Ben was already familiar with the family, he might find something that we miss - only if he knows we're interested?"

"Good point, but let me drive the conversation if it starts to stray."

"Okay."

"Now, about Ms Lavoska?"

"Yes?"

"She has a suite at the Hotel du Lac, Lausanne."

"Bloody hell."

"I thought you'd find that interesting."

"I stayed there a few times, my mother had a suite in that hotel."

"Exactly, it seems Ms Lavoska has been using the hotel for a few years, so would have met your mother several times."

"And me, as Tom?"

"Indeed, which means her presence in Thurso seven months ago was almost definitely targeting you."

"Can we be certain?"

"The intel is there, does that targeting continue via Martina?"

"So the other kid is a red herring?"

"No, just an interesting find. I would think that you are the main event."

"How much would they have?"

"Debatable, have you been followed here?"

"One or two have seen me come in here but my work for the agency is public knowledge."

"Through the school magazine."

"Yes."

"What about your trips to Cornwall and Kent?"

"Need to know, of course Cornwall in the summer was a no brainer, my tan seems to be disappearing by the way."

"You weren't paid to sit o a beach."

"I had some time off, it wasn't all work."

"And don't forget the boyfriend? Daniel, wasn't it?"

"Yes, Daniel. Only Heather, Sophie and the nurse knew the full story."

"Suzie was there as well, reporting to Jenny, you got a clean bill of health on the security front."

"Good, so am I exposed?"

"No, and we'd best keep it that way."

"What does that mean?"

"Keep away from here for the next week."

"It's half term but I'm running the shop downstairs for Sarah while she has a hysterectomy."

"Oh, I see."

"I've stood in for Sarah before, so this isn't new."

"Okay, so if anyone is keeping tabs on you, they're not seeing a pattern at the moment."

"That's how it works right now."

"Good, regular routines lead to slack security."

"There's nothing regular about me."

"Quite, Tammy."

up
395 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very good

very good

Tammy needs

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Tammy needs a relay handoff! She's getting swamped.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Curious

indeed although slightly confusing? I had thought that Penny had worked with/ Aided Heather or the security services in some form if I remember correctly didn't the original accounts from the show have errors on purpose. and Heather's explaination was that it was to test Tammy?
looks like things are a lot more disturbing and getting intense

Matt

Yes, But...

...aren't those the gimmicked ones for Tammy's examination? I thought the dosimeters turned out to be nonexistent, though the report led to their investigating a Royal Navy site with the consequences described here.

Eric

I remember it being a test

WillowD's picture

I also remember that Tammy was told at a later date that the first email that mentioned the dosimeters had been gimmicked by MI5 in order to test Tammy's analytical ability.

Learn to say no

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy let's other walk all over her by passing their work to her. Tammy is responsible for Tammy, no one else.

Helen was driving Elsie up the wall and Elsie sought Tammy for ideas to keep Helen occupied. Tammy made a suggestion and Elsie dictated Tammy to sort out the details. What, Elsie's staff deceased? Helen have broken fingers? Tammy should have rung Elsie back and told her she was too busy to do what she or Helen was able to do. Would Elsie have been upset? Likely, but that doesn't keep her from asking others do get the needed information.

Sarah has never paid Tammy a wage, just took advantage of Tammy's school work and that Tammy hardly says no. Sarah should have handled her own help need, even if it was only for the busiest times.

Again Tammy hasn't learned not to make assumptions about anything. Telling Ben about something she had no way to know he didn't need to know, proves she still assumes too much. In that office, Hilary is the boss, not Tammy and she should take her lead from Hilary.

If Tammy is really the target, why? She is a small minnow is the ocean, not a whale in a lake.

Others have feelings too.

Just when we thought all threats to Tammy were dealt with..

We have Penny Lane, who first aroused suspicions with the initial, dodgy accounts for the fashion show, plus her current course having a suspiciously similar scenario, as well as one bearing more than a slight resemblance to her rescue of Sarah's shop. It also seems the family may have been tracked for years...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!