Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 40

Printer-friendly version
"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 40

It seemed the doorbell and ending Kevin's phone call happened at the same time. I opened the door and Kevin came in, gave me a quick peck on the cheek, and said 'hello' to Tina and Ginny.

“Where were you when you called, at my driveway? What if I had said 'no'?”

Kevin looked at me sheepishly, “I was in my truck. But I thought someone would let me in.”

“Tell me what really went down last night. My information was delivered by a hysterical female. Ellen, you go first.”

“Morales forced open my door, and started to yell at Tina. It looked like this time Tina was going to get hit. I calmed him down while Ginny called the Swampscott Police.”

“Bullshit ! Ellen grabbed a gun and held Daddy at gun point. He tried to call her bluff, but she wasn't bluffing. He knew Ellen would shoot him ! The cops came at this time and shooed him away,” Tina laughed. “As they left, one cop started to lecture Ellen on gun safety.”

Kevin turned and looked at me, “Calmed him down? Sounds like you were ready to calm him down permanently.”

My face turned bright red, “I target shoot. Vinnie made a good target.”

That made Kevin chuckle, “Next time I need help, I'm calling you, not the cops.”

“Why don't I stay overnight? If Tina's father drives by and sees my truck, he'll probably keep right on going.”

Ginny jumped in. “He'll keep on going because he knows Dirty Harriet is still here. Not because of you.”

“I'm staying anyway,” Kevin said a little childishly. “This way, there's a man here.”

I looked at Ginny, she looked at me, and we broke out laughing.

“What's so funny?” asked Tina, “I think that's a great idea.”

Kevin looked at us, “She doesn't know?”

We both shook our heads 'no'.

“Doesn't know what?” Tina interjected.

“Nothing important,” I said. “Kevin and Ginny have shared a bed before, that's all.”

“Well, hell, that's no secret, everybody knows that.”

“Speaking of bed, it's after 11pm. Ginny and I have to hit the sack, 5.30 comes up fast. Kevin, good luck finding a place to sleep.” I said that with a grin.

I brushed my teeth and slid under the blankets, and turned off the light.

About 30 minutes later, I felt someone in bed with me.

“It's only me.” Kevin said.

“Okay, 'it's only me'. If I get poked by anything, It gets shot off!”

He got out of my bed.

Wednesday dawned cold and sunny. Nice crisp Fall weather; this is why I love New England.

About lunch time, I reminded Ginny that Tina was moving in to her apartment that day, and she should give her a phone call, to check on how things were going. Apparently, things went smoothly, with no Vinnie sightings. As a thank-you, Tina wanted to buy us dinner at the big restaurant next door.

Dinner was very nice, the seafood was fresh, the baked, stuffed haddock was wonderful, and the popovers were great.

Ginny and I promised to see Tina's apartment the following day after we came back from the gun range. Tina said why didn't we eat there? She suggested clam chowder and lobster salad rolls for dinner. Ginny said that was great, and we'll pick up some wine to go with the lobster.

When we got home, I opened up the gun safe and put four boxes of .45 ammo and two hundred rounds of .22 long rifle ammo in my ammo box.

I grabbed the range bag and put it on the bed, storing the Browning .22 and the Smith and Wesson .45 in the bag along with two sets of sound-deadening earphones in the bag's partitions. This would save time in the morning.

Thursday work flew, and in no time we locked up and headed for the range. I think Ginny was excited, but tried not to show it.

We pulled into the range's parking lot after a fifteen minute drive. Ginny looked around at the building and the lot, wrinkled her nose and said the place looked like a dump.

I got my things, told her to grab the targets, and walked over to the key card lock's slot. I ran my card through, heard a loud click, and pushed the door open. Lights came on revealing a white painted, spotless fifty foot handgun range.

Ginny's jaw dropped as she looked around, “Wow! What a difference, from dump to spotless.”

“We wanted the place to look uninhabited, and run down, less chance of a break-in.”

“You succeeded,” she said.

I spent the next fifteen minutes telling her the range safety rules, and handed her a set of headphones and safety glasses.

“Wear these at all times, If someone else were here, they'd be shooting when you weren't and particles fly around.

I took the two guns from the range bag and went over them with Ginny. Although the Smith was bigger, it was similar to her little .25, while the Browning was a little more complicated with the sight.

I loaded the magazines for the .22, turned on the hologram red dot sight and fired a magazine at the target set at twenty-five feet. Happily all ten went into the 10 ring.

I ejected the empty magazine, and reloaded. Ginny picked it up and duplicated my score.

“Nice gun,” she said. ”Love that sight.”

“Come clean, where did you learn to shoot?”

“I was in the JROTC in high school, remember? I excelled at pistol shooting. We used the Ruger Mark II pistol. I like that Browning better.”

I picked up the big Smith and Wesson 1911. “Did you shoot anything bigger, like a .45?”

Ginny shook her head no.

“Well then you have a treat coming up.” With that, I loaded a mag with five rounds, drew back the slide, with that snick-snick that Vinnie liked so much. I then turned and quickly fired five shots into the 9 ring or better.

“Phew, you weren't bluffing with Morales the other night were you?”

“Have you shot or handled one of these before?” I asked. “If you haven't pay close attention. This is a single action, eight shot, auto loading pistol that will fire without a ammo magazine in the gun. Most of the new double action pistols won't fire without a magazine, so people get careless. This gun also has a grip safety; if your grip on the gun is off center, or loose the pistol won't fire. Now, why don't you load five rounds into the magazine and try it out.”

Ginny loaded the gun, racked the slide (snick-snick) and fired a shot at the target beside mine. Miss! She tried again, miss! She engaged the safety, and asked what she was doing wrong.

I said to relax her little finger and tighten her left hand on the gun.

Bang, 7 ring, Bang, 8 ring, Bang bulls eye!

“Nice shooting. The grip is very important with these big guns, you have small hands, so the gun shifts around.”

I let her continue shooting the .45 while I practiced with the Browning at the fifty foot distance.

In no time we had used up the ammo I brought along, and it was time to go.

To be continued

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her help in correcting typos and punctuation

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wrong nomenclature

NoraAdrienne's picture

A clip was made to load the old M-1 Garand rifles. A MAGAZINE is what is used in all of today's modern semi-auto pistols. A standard .45 mag will hold 7 and some people leave one in the pipe making it 8 rounds. You can also buy 10 and 15 round Mags depending on the brand of pistol you use.

My Views on Nomenclature

waif's picture

I own a Colt Commander that is a smaller version of the M1911a1 Colt .45. I have been to the range a lot and my daddy and brothers all rag me about the whole clip vs. magazine mess. So I just call it the bullet holder thingy.

For some reason...that really sets them off !!!!

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

No need to get too picky.

No need to get too picky. This is being written for BC, not Guns and Ammo magazine. And for info , a S&W 1911 takes a 8 round mag.
Any magazine that fits a Colt 1911, fits all 1911's

I will make the correction, i

I will make the correction, i used the more common .but incorrect word for the non-experts.

Karen

Why...

waif's picture

...do I get the sneaking suspicion that guns and Morales are going to play a key role in future episodes.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

...I went to a gun range up

...I went to a gun range up near there a few times while I was a boy scout. I nearly wet my pants holding a 9mm police issue pistol and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn shooting and of the .22 rifles. I had eyesight, was left handed while trying to shoot right handed, and having trouble with eye dominance- the trifecta of how not to shoot!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

People stopper

Jamie Lee's picture

Nice addition to this story. And because both were shooting, something tells me one or both will do so again. Only not at targets.

My dad once told me the military used 45 APC because it was the only thing which would stop a person hopped up on PCP. His 45 used either full or half moon clips to use regular 45 ammo in the revolver.

In my younger days, and before our local dump was filled in, we used to take our .22 rifles there and shoot at the rats running around the junk and trash. Needless to say many of those suckers were able to see the next sunrise. And it didn't take long to go through 100 rounds doing this.

Others have feelings too.

One dirty Harret

Renee_Heart2's picture

Is bad enough but 2? Morales won't stand a chance! As for Tina... I hope all goes well with her move. He Rd dad is up to something that's for sure.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Nothing wakes up bad guys

Nothing wakes up bad guys like a girl and her very big gun.

Browning was a genius

His designs are still used and manufactured today, unchanged, from around 100 years ago.
Several (even if slightly modified) are still in official military use ...

Not sure how you can shoot

Not sure how you can shoot that close All my 22 competitions were at 25 yards. I averaged over 90.
IPSC was a little different but my 45 was quit good out to abot 50 yards.
My 44 mag was good out to 300 yards single handed even with hunting loads.
I only realised later that my shooting was generally better than Harry Calhoun's.
But then,I was classed as sniper standard in the services and shot for the navy.

NRA Bullseye is standard at

NRA Bullseye is standard at either 50' or 25yd. The various other competitions go from 7yds out to 25 yds. ISPC duplicates police clearing a building.
You my friend, can shoot!

Guns and Shooting

waif's picture

I know that there is a wide divergence of opinion on gun ownership, but I can honestly say that I feel the knowledge of safe gun handling, cleaning, and use are skills that every person can benefit from. There is a confidence that comes in knowing that you possess a skill that you ardently hope you will never need.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Arguing about nomenclature is dumb..

I grew up around firearms, was taught to shoot by my granddaddy, and have owned several-many over the years.

This whole kerfuffle about "clip" vs. "mag" is a recent thing -- maybe the last five or ten years. Before that, the terms were used interchangeably by everyone I knew except perhaps military folks.

Seriously? There HAVE to be better things to debate over.

xxx

-- Mischief