The Nightmare Rider - chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

 

The Nightmare Rider cover.PNG
Chapter 12 of
 
  The Nightmare Rider

 

 

 


World Map.PNG

 
 

Chapter 12

 
 
 

It was the first morning of the final weekend of the month. Patrick walked into the Academy wearing his new uniform in the colors of the Eighty-Sixth Regiment. There were no classes and many of the students who were from close by actually went home on the weekends. For the most part the rest looked after themselves. They either cooked for themselves or in groups for meals. Others simply went into either of the two villages. There was usually a gap between those that took their breakfast inside and the exodus to the villages. It was that gap that was so important.

Patrick turned down a side corridor and entered the second room on the right. He crossed to the wall of miniature shields. Each one embossed with the colors and number of a Solo Regiment. It was the shield for the Nineteenth Regiment that he pressed. Everyone had been convinced that the Nineteenth was one of the regiments that provided protection for entertainers. For most part that was true. Two platoons did exactly that. The other platoons however, did not. They originated from members of the First, Second, Sixth and Tenth Regiments. The real purpose of those two platoons were the carefully guarded secret. They were essentially the Internal Affairs units. Investigation and action. If Solos committed offenses or had offenses committed against them, the Third and Fourth platoons of the Nineteenth Regiment dealt with it.

Pressing that shield released a catch and a hidden doorway swung inward. Patrick stepped in and closed the door behind him. The door concealed a stairway. Patrick walked up the stairs and knocked on the door then entered. Inside was a long table with several students seated in various colored uniforms.

"I got a late start," Patrick remarked as he went over and took a seat.

"You're in time. We were just about to start," the young man seated at the head of the table then addressed the group. "All in attendance."

He wore the colors of the First Regiment. Everyone knew his name, Doril Hunley. A rarity among them, having both parents not only Solos, but Solos of the same regiment. They began with contracts that were open, closed and pending. The discussion went on to cover any delinquent accounts then grievances. Such was the majority of the meeting. Finally the young man at the head of the table took out ten coins and placed them in front of him. The rest did the same.

"One of the assistants for Tournament has been bribed to supply tainted bottles of water to all Solos participating," Doril stated then looked to the right.

Goron Favell a Fourth year of the Twenty-second regiment stated, "six lances have been ordered in the Academy scheme from a local dealer. Purchaser is not an Academy student or staff."

"Medical records were broken into and fifty files were noted to be inspected," Danze Marow; a 4th year girl from the Fifty-Fifth Regiment informed them.

Bron Zako of the Forty-first regiment was the last Fourth year of the Solos and told them, "the WardRoom is no longer secure. Someone has gone through all the armor closets."

Patrick spoke up, "the stable has had disturbances. Possible that horses will be sabotaged."

The rest had little bits, but still of note. Hensee Rassan; no affiliation Third year, Jen Siva: a Second year girl of the Nineteenth regiment. Timmerlain Voklien; a Second year with no affiliation. Kyl Borkor of the Twenty-Eighth regiment in his Second year along with Lorne Del Thirty-Seventh regiment. Milos Arenlon; a First year with no affiliation sat beside Bess Ginaar. She was also was in her First year with no affiliation. Across from them sat Rositor Jazorr who like them had no affiliation. Urick Wordine sat in the last chair. He was from the Sixth Regiment in his First year. Those were all the Solos currently enrolled in the Academy.

"So in short there are definitely nasty plans for the Tournament. We already know that all Solos, Vaan Arento, Jessica Weyden, Fiona Doucet have been targeted. Anything else," Doril asked.

Jen Siva frowned, "nothing definitive but one of the Dining servers was heard to say that soon she would have enough money to leave and gave a time after Tournament. The source of the money was not revealed so either she may have been bribed or she intends to wager on the outcome. If not both."

"That's not enough. We need to know more," Hensee Rassan stated. "Gambling is allowed. Placing the wager using information of wrong-doing is another matter. The staff here probably do have favorites chosen already for private wagers. Certainly with their experience they would do well at the booths."

Doril Hunley nodded, "yes. They would be able to make good wagers. I agree though, more information needs to be obtained. The main issue here is: are all these moving pieces connected? If so; is this a ploy by an element within or without the Academy?"

"A group outside the Academy could be making some of the moves for gambling purposes," Danze Marow remarked.

Patrick shook his head, "that wouldn't explain the events within the Academy or the order for lances. I believe these are the concerted actions of one person within the Academy."

"You mean Jeffries Talfar," Goron Favell said pointedly. "There is basis. Talfar has substantial gains riding on the outcome. Personal for himself and business for the father. Targeting us is no surprise though, he's never regarded Solos highly. Especially you Fotens, due to recent events."

Everyone chuckled at that.

Doril finished making notes in the book in front of him, "either way we need more to go on. Reconvene next Saturday. Until then, if you do NOT have your own armor I suggest you obtain a set and keep it under your exclusive control. Also the day before Tournament, remove your horse from the stable, have it examined and stored securely."

A box was moved from one Solo to the next, each dropped ten coins slowly into it through a slot. When it returned to Doril he took it over to small opening and set it inside and closed a door. A few moments later he opened the door and took out the box and set it back on the table after shaking it. The box was empty. It was a practice that had been going on since Solos began attending the Academy. They would all pay to exchange information and the payment went into a special fund for future Solos to attend the Academy. After that they all adjourned one by one.

 

~*~*~*~

 

Jessica nodded back with a smile to those that recognized her and gestured their respect. She, Aruna Moning and Lamia Tuala were wandering through the village. The princess had hurried her two friends so that they would start their day with breakfast in a cafe. Now the three friends were simply wandering about. A group of little girls had seen the trio and took it upon themselves to accompany them.

"Well now. Since we have such fine escorts and guides we should make sure they've been taken care of," Aruna smiled and nodded to a display of flowers in front of a shop.

"So true," Jessica smiled back then called inside. "Florist?"

A middle-age woman came out, "yes? Oh! Your Highness, my Ladies. How may I help you?"

Jessica looked to a basket of grey-like roses then counted the children before telling her, "it seems our escort is unarmed."

The woman nodded to Jessica's wink then gathered up the appropriate number of blooms and passed them to her, "certainly Highness. We definitely can't let that continue."

Jessica divided the flowers to Aruna and Lamia then gave one each to the the girls closest to her. Each one smiled, thanked them and tried their best to curtsy.

Jessica took coins from her belt purse and passed them to the florist, "there now. All taken care of. My thanks for such splendid arms for our contingent."

"Happy to provide your Highness. My Ladies," she replied with a quick curtsy.

The girls walked happily around trio now and chattered about each shop or cart they passed. Several other students waved or simply nodded as the group passed them by. Eventually they stopped in front of building under construction.

"That's a new temple," one of the girls announced proudly.

Another nodded, "its for a Goddess."

"Is it for the Goddess named Phoebe? The Nightmare Rider," Aruna asked.

Several looked up in surprise, "you KNOW her?"

Lamia nodded, "we've seen her."

"Is it true? Did she really kill a God," the girl by Jessica asked.

"That's what it looked like to us. It was quite a sight," Jessica replied.

The girl standing by Lamia shook her head, "I wouldn't want to see her. I'm scared of nightmares."

Jessica crouched down to her level, "yeah. She looked scary to us to too. Beautiful, but scary."

"Really Princess," another girl asked. "How can she be pretty and scary at the same time?"

Jessica stood up and took the little girl's hand in her own. Together they led the rest over to a stone bench. Jessica, Aruna and Lamia sat down.

"Well its like this," Jessica began to explain. "Not everything scary is ugly and not everything pretty is nice. Like DarkShade. The flowers are really pretty, but if you smell it too much or taste it, it can hurt you."

Aruna nodded, "exactly. And Demon Finger. Its got thorns and stinks really bad but if done right, it makes a medicine that cures really bad headaches."

The handful of girls began to nod, such examples did make sense to them. Many young girls encountered DarkShade. Most merely experienced violent sneezing and minor nose-bleeding. The pollen was the poison, any ingested caused major problems. The pollen would eat away at the inside of the mouth, throat and stomach. Constant sniffing of the flowers did the same to the nose and lungs. It was one of the first lessons girls learned. Never grab anything off the stove and never play with DarkShade flowers.

Lamia giggled, "our student council president is pretty and some times scary too."

"What about him," one of the girls asked and pointed to the street.

They all looked and saw Patrick Fotens walking down the street.

Aruna purred, "oh he is DEFINITELY very nice to look at. When he isn't taking you or a friend off their horse!

"Don't I know it," Jessica frowned.

The girls all looked at her in shock and one asked, "he took you off your horse Princess?"

Jessica nodded, "yes he did. Solo Patrick Fotens is very skilled and strong. He will certainly be in the Tournament. If I am in then I'll have to face him again."

"Are Solos nice," the girl next to Jessica asked.

"Solos aren't nice or mean. They only do their job. When you get older you'll understand better. Solos only do what they are hired to do. Someone wiser than I once said, 'If you want truth seek a philosopher. If you want fact, seek a teacher. If you want warriors that will never betray you, pay the Solos.' Its very true," Jessica told her.

Lamia arched an eyebrow, "that's fairly deep. Who said that?"

"Vaan Arento," Jessica chuckled.

"PRINCE VAAN," Aruna and Lamia asked at the same time.

"IN THE FLESH," Vaan Arento proclaimed then looked at the group. "Oh MY! A bevy of beauties before me! Wherever and whomever shall I start with?"

He stepped closer and went to one knee then took each girl's hand and kissed it, "Vaan Arento. Prince of Scavlic and so very pleased to meet you!"

Aruna and Lamia stood up and curtsied, "your Highness."

Vaan flashed them a dazzling smile and kissed their hands as well, "Duchess Aruna. Lady Lamia. Always a pleasure! I dare say this is quite interesting. I've never seen such an adorable entourage before."

One girl looked up at him and asked shyly, "are you really a prince? You're pretty. Why is your hair like a girl?"

Vaan stroked his long hair that had a small braid down the back, woven with ribbons, "oh dear. I've done it again haven't I Jessica?"

"Anything else would be unusual," Jessica giggled.

Aruna and Lamia nodded their own agreement as they too, giggled. Vaan sighed dramatically then sat down next to Jessica.

"I suppose I really am hopeless about these things. If it weren't for you and Fiona I imagine I'd look quite the spectacle," Vaan said to Jessica giving her a soulful look and leaning closer.

"Any other girl would be blushing furiously," Jessica said then playfully pushed him back. "I, however, am immune."

The flamboyant prince finally laughed, "indeed you are Jessica! Now what fun have I discovered here?"

Jessica nodded to the building under construction, "that new temple. Its for that Goddess Phoebe, the one known as the Nightmare Rider."

"Ah, yes. Serious business. She is not one to trifle with. I heard the three of you saw her up close. Right now I'm more interested in how you are feeling. You were quite clever on your first run but Solo Fotens won out in the end," Vaan commented.

Everyone was now paying attention.

"His skills are almost insanely good. I'm just glad I," Jessica caught herself then finished. "I didn't make the mistake of a second personal match."

The prince knew she almost slipped to say that she had bought out the liaison contract. He knew that she wasn't aware he knew about it. Better that he didn't admit it either.

"Well with his experience its only natural to be concerned," Vaan remarked.

Aruna gawked, "his experience? Just how well do you know Solo Fotens?"

Vaan looked like he had been caught between two romantic rivals, "I might have gotten a peek at his record."

Jessica glared, "your HIGHNESS."

"Alright. I got a look. His record is impeccable. Never defeated in battle. And he's been in over sixty battles. In short, he's the most formidable Solo of his age. Actually, he has even me worried. As if that wasn't enough. At least with him, its because he's that good!"

Jessica understood exactly what he just implied. Without specifically saying it, he said that someone in the Tournament was worthy of worry, and not because they had the skills. They would be using underhanded tactics. The prince's statement wasn't lost on Aruna or Lamia either.

Just as quickly though Vaan's whole demeanor shifted, "Now then. Such lovely ladies here. I'm inspired to dance!"

He stood up and smiled to the nearest girl, took her hands gently and began to slowly teach her how to dance. Soon he switched to another girl, giving the basics of the dance before moving on to another. Jessica and her two friends found themselves drawn in and dancing with the girls too to teach them. Aruna Moning, being the social butterfly, turned out to be the better dancer of the three. That was how they spend the rest of the morning until slipping away for lunch at a cafe.

 

~*~*~*~

 

Phoebe sat on her throne and spoke to Daalumos, "that was an informative meeting."

"You have come to enjoy this facade's lifestyle. Is it because they are so similar to ourselves," the bound demon asked.

"Yes actually. Of all the mortals we have encountered, I understand Solos the best. They are the least complicated," Phoebe stated.

Daalumos tossed his head, "it does seem that they are the more sensible of the mortals. Not concerning themselves with most of the foolishness that so many do. I do wonder how long we will be able to continue our activities before your father finally takes notice."

"The longer we stay away from the Underworld and out of dreams; the longer we go undetected. As long as we are not setting out punishment; we go unnoticed by my mother as well," Phoebe stated.

The BloodLust now understood, "it is your father only that you intend to usurp."

"We'll be fine as long as Barbatos does not become curious about either of us," Phoebe said intently.

Daalumos nodded, "the Duke will not lie if he is asked. Even if a mortal conjures him. He would be beheld to the terms of the conjuring. It is not He I have concern with. Bael is the concern."

"The Demon King of the east region of Underworld. His kingdom borders Tartarus belonging to Hades and Irkalla ruled by Ereshkigal. How many legions does he command," Phoebe asked.

"Sixty-six demon legions. My power can frenzy them, but he can still direct them. Even with your sword, we would be overwhelmed. Our power is not strong enough. Yet," Daalumos remarked.

Phoebe nodded, "then we will be patient. Our legend is growing. We are gaining followers and temples."

The bound Demon laughed, "if we continue as we have been, it will not take us a thousand years like your father did!"

Phoebe shrugged, "I sure hope NOT!"

 

~*~*~*~

 

Fiona Doucet sat at her desk looking at the plain envelope. She had found it sitting there waiting for her. Finally she opened it.
It has become known that during Tournament certain competitors will be provided with tainted water bottles.

"Thanks for the tip whoever you are. Very smart to have it printed instead of written," Fiona remarked then reached into a drawer and took out a pencil. Over a scrap of paper she scraped the lead to make a dust then blew gently onto the page. Nothing appeared. With a sigh of resignation she took the page and envelope and put them into a file in the bottom drawer then locked it. The drawer had many files, all marked by the year. They all had the same thing in common, anonymous notes to prevent serious wrong-doing in the Academy.

Fiona spoke out the words as she wrote a letter of her own, "Headmaster, I believe it may be in the best interest for the Tournament competitors to provide their own food and especially drinks for the day. Sincerely, Student Council President, Fiona Doucet; Countess of Sparzo."

She sealed it in an official envelope then dropped it off through the slot in the Headmaster's door. The Countess turned and walked back to the corridor and began to walk back toward the dorms.

"AH FIONA," a familiar voice called out.

Fiona smiled and turned back, "Hi Vaan."

At a glance she could tell her friend was in an exceptionally good mood.

"Alright, tell. Very few things could have you so bubbly," Fiona remarked. "What have you been doing now?"

The prince smile and waved a pink rose, "I've spent a greater part of the day in wonderful company! Oh an Jessica Weyden, Duchess Moning and Lady Lamia were there too."

Vaan took her hand in his and began to promenade her down the corridor, "dear Fiona I had such a LOVELY time! You, of course, missed out. I'll be happy to regale you!"

The prince then swept in front of her and led her into twirl past himself. Fiona posed then spun back in to him and together they stepped forward in lock. Another turn and they stepped back to continue down the corridor side by side. Vaan led with her actually being a quarter-step forward of himself. One would think it would be the opposite. They'd be wrong. Were they not in physical contact then the royal or higher noble would lead. When in physical contact, as they were, etiquette dictated the lady be place slightly ahead of the gentleman. The reason behind that being, the lady was being presented as she was usually unknown at large.

The levity of the moment caught up to Fiona and she couldn't resist laughing. A minute later they were back in her office and sat on the sofa.

"Its so good to hear your laugh. Its so rare Fiona," Vaan commented.

Fiona went over and made a pot of hot water then came back to pour them both a cup of tea, "that's not true. I do laugh frequently."

The prince wagged a finger at her, "no you don't. You are referring to that token you give. I'm referring to your real laugh. Not in amusement, in pleasure. Please don't deny it. Even if just for a moment, you were happy."

"Yes Vaan. I was happy. For those moments you helped me forget. Thank you for that gift," Fiona smiled to her friend.

Vaan patted her hand, "you're quite welcome. Now, as to your question. I was wandering about the village and ran into Jessica and her two friends. They were entertaining quite an adorable entourage. Since I heard Jessica quoting myself, naturally I had to step in."

"Naturally," the Countess chuckled.

"Of course! Under my expert teaching the girls learned how to dance for a ball. I'm certain several of them shall grow up to be rather sought after. Each one a future heart-breaker," Vaan smiled in self-satisfaction.

Fiona shook her head, "how shameless of you. I'm sure you had them all eating out of hand in seconds."

Vaan smiled, "on the contrary my charming Countess. I found myself wrapped around their little fingers and treated them not only to lunch, but also a stop at the confectioners! Then I personally escorted each and every one of them safely home. I had a grand time. You would have as well."

"Well that does sound fun. I'm glad to hear about it since I couldn't be there," Fiona smiled then frowned. "I'm glad I ran into you. I've learned something very disturbing. I've suggested to the Headmaster that on the day of the Tournament that all the competitors supply their own food and drink for the day. I'm concerned about sabotage."

Vaan sighed, "you are not the only one. I saw three Solos at a private stable. They were reserving stalls for their horses and state that others would be doing so as well. I think you may have right about them knowing things."

"Without a bloody sword, its all just hearsay and suspicion. I can't deny though, if Solos are moving their horses out. They are convinced of sabotage and are covering themselves. We should as well. I'd like to warn others," Fiona admitted. "The problem is; who would be safe to warn?"

"You warn the Headmaster Fiona. Even if you had a bloody sword. You go to the Headmaster. He will deal with things," Vaan stated.

Fiona sighed, "very well. I'll speak to him first thing in the morning."

"That's the thing to do Fiona. Just do that. It will be enough," Vaan said then patted her hand and left.

Fiona sighed at the closed door and whispered to herself, "I was so cheated for missing that party years ago."

 

~*~*~*~

 

The Headmaster held up the letter, "I take it the Solos know more than they are telling?"

The woman dressed as a Maid nodded, "they do."

"let me guess; They have enough to cover themselves, but not enough for action. Nothing definitive," the Headmaster asked.

She stood firmly, "correct."

The Headmaster set several coins on his desk toward her, "will you look into it."

The Maid reached over and took the coins, "yes."

"Once again, I'm glad you've been here Captain. I'm sure your successor will be quite the professional," the Headmaster stated.

The Maid nodded and left.

"The successor is probably my secretary this time. The Nineteenth Regiment would do that just because they could," The Headmaster said to himself then secured his office to leave.

Walking to the cottage he shared with his wife, the Headmaster thought back to his first day as Headmaster. Twenty-two years ago he was just finishing the day when his office door opened and a nurse stepped inside.

"I'm know I'm new, but shouldn't you knock before entering any office," He asked.

She said nothing but showed him the necklace pendant with the crest of the Nineteenth Regiment then a contract. For the next half hour she briefed him on her duties. Essentially she was a Captain of the Fourth platoon, Nineteenth FreeLancers Regiment. Her duties were simple, investigate any illicit activities concerning Solos in the Academy. Her presence and mission were not to be disclosed to anyone other than the Headmaster. Her tenure lasted another two years before she was replaced by a teaching assistant. Every eight years a new Captain presented herself to him. Each would have a different position and had been interviewed by the appropriate staff supervisor. Usually they had already been working for some time before revealing themselves to him. Its was just another side to the mysterious world of Solos.

 
 
 
If you liked this chapter of The Nightmare Rider please do Kudo. No membership needed.

up
429 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

fantastic

THnx Snowfall you made my night I been looking forwards to seeing what would happen next. seems as if theres a lot going on ,
And hmmm a certain party that Fiona missed would that have been an opertunity For a certain prince and herself to make a future for them selves ? would that be the 1 where Jessica's uncle made a fool of himself and then slanted it so She would get a bad impression of solo's
I wonder if the goings on will change things and perhaps she will get that chance ?

Matt

The solos remind me of.....

D. Eden's picture

The Assassin's Guild in CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series. In a world that still has a basically feudal society even though it is technologically advanced, and has no organized police force or court system, the Assassin's Guild fills the void by becoming both.

It seems the Solos have done essentially the same here in this universe.

Interesting concept.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I don't believe I would want

I don't believe I would want to be in the shoes or boots of whoever is trying to fix the tournament. Once the Solos find out who it is or who they are, I can see some possibly head rolling occurring in front of the entire Academy student body to teach them all a very important life lesson.
That being "DO NOT mess with Solos, and DO NOT try to ever fix Academy games.

you bring up an interesting point.

you bring up an interesting point. However, it may be the headmaster who reveals some or all the intel.

Whichever way it plays out I'm certain Snowfall will keep us in suspense.

I suspect

that the Solos would not wish to take overt action as that would make it personal - and for Solos, nothing is personal. On the other hand, it has already been stated that they have tricks that would reveal and embarrass the cheat thus allowing the headmaster (who has been forewarned that something is amiss) to take action on behalf of the Academy.

As for sending a 'do not mess with Solos' message, that can easily be achieved by refusing to take the family's contracts

Depends upon one's cultural fillter.

The word Demon in the Western Abrahamic tradition is negative, though so far, by his conduct Patrick Fotens seems to be quite a principled and likeable person. I do not know what surprises you have at reserve in the wings, but I hope the best for him. As to Jessica, you have already indicated that she and he do not have a romantic future and that is your right as an Author.

The story is quite interesting to me, though the social mores are unique in my experience.

Thank you.

Gwen

attempted sabotage ?

I wonder who's doing it, and why?

DogSig.png

Exciting things ahead.

Sure a tantalizing event coming up.. Bring it on. hehehe :)