What Milsy Did -3-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy is smuggled over the Sirrel and the substitution is made with Garia. She spends a night at South Slip and meets the other noble women before joining the King and Queen for the procession south to the capital. When they arrive at the palace she is taken to Garia's suite but discovery threatens...

What Milsy Did

A Tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

3 - The Royal Procession


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2016 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Milsy stirred, her eyes bleary. The night had been disturbed but as a castle servant she was used to such things. The mattress in the bunk had been good... which had compensated for the odd night noises. She looked up, to see the first hints of daylight coming in through the filthy window.

I wonder if I can get to the toilet without being noticed.

But before she could even get out of the bunk a coded knocking came from the barred door. Hastily settling the wig on her head she swung to her feet, padded across and lifted the bar to open the door. The man stood outside holding a wide bowl with a large, steaming jug balanced in it, a towel over his arm.

"Here you are, lass," he said in a low voice. "Something to freshen you up. I'll be along to fetch you for breakfast in a short while."

"Uh, I have to go over there." She pointed.

The man grimaced. "I guess you do, lass. I'll stay here and keep watch."

Distasteful task completed Milsy took the bowl, jug and towel, returned to her room and dropped the bar. She gave her face and hands a good wash before considering what else she might attempt.

Best not. If I'm to be smuggled over the river I'll be dirty again soon enough.

After what seemed like bells the man was back, ushering her along the corridor to a larger room at the other end. There was a table and chairs, plates, mugs, and platters of bread, cheese and meats. It was apparent that the men had eaten breakfast in here and then gone off to work.

"Eat up, lass. Stay in this room till I come for you."

It was not what she had been used to in the castle, but it was just as filling, making her more alert and ready to face the coming day. She considered how much to drink and decided that too much now might have embarrassing consequences later.

The man came back, a smile on his face. "Time to go, lass. Follow me, carefully now. Don't speak to anybody you see downstairs."

He led her back into the courtyard and to the waiting wagons. One was part-loaded, the man helped Milsy up steps at the back where she discovered a hole in the array of sacks of meal. She indicated the hole and he nodded, so she climbed down and curled herself up in the space. It was big enough to move around a little and the sacks were soft to lie on. She noticed a pan with a tightly-fitted lid in one corner, ready for any emergencies, and hoped she wouldn't have to use it.

Other men came and carefully covered the hole over with planks, and then she could hear more sacks being laid on top to hide the planks. There were other, odd sounds and then a period of silence. Milsy began to doze off but was awakened by a jolt.

Of course. That will be the draft-beast being harnessed to the wagon.

Her surmise proved right as the wagon shortly began shaking and rumbling as it moved on its journey down to the ferry. Milsy had little idea how long this would take or any of the details, so just relaxed and thought of what she might have to do once they reached the other side. At one point she smelled spices and cooked food so thought they must be traveling through the market in Dekarran town. There were some alarming tilts to the floor and then a most peculiar sensation as though she was floating.

I am floating! We must be on the ferry now. I've often seen the Sirrel from the castle windows but I've never been across it before. Pity I can't see anything.

Another tilt, more rumbling and then she was sure the ferry trip was over. The wagon went somewhere and was then apparently abandoned. Milsy was sure that at least a bell had passed before people began taking the top layers of sacks away and then the planks covering her.

The man leaned in and offered her a hand to pull her up from her hiding place.

"Sorry about that, lass," he said. "The royal party will cross shortly and there were guardsmen around making sure there were no assassins, anything like that, waiting for them. You all right?"

"Aye, I am, though a little stiff," she replied. "I think I need -"

He nodded. "Of course you do, after all that time. Here, let me help you down."

The facilities here seemed better than those the other side and Milsy quickly cleaned herself up. When she emerged there was a woman waiting for her.

"Come with me, kid," she said. "You'll have to stay out of the way until tonight so I'll put you in a room till then, all right? Did my brother feed you before you crossed?"

"Aye, Mistress, he gave me breakfast," Milsy replied. "I don't mind hiding somewhere until I'm needed. I've done that for a week already."

The woman put up a hand. "Don't want to know, kid. You're part of some crazy plan and the less each of us knows the better, if you take my meaning. Follow me. I'll bring you up some lunch later but you should keep out of the way of everyone else. Oh, and I ain't no mistress."

The room was about the size of the other one but had beds rather than bunks. The windows were just as dirty but the linen was at least clean.

I'm not going to sleep here, Milsy thought. The swap is supposed to happen this evening, so I'll be sleeping in a fancy bed with the royal party tonight.

The wait proved as boring as Milsy had guessed it might be. But she was content, since she knew that it would be ended with the most dangerous part of the operation. The woman brought Milsy a tray with lunch and twice escorted her to the facilities during the afternoon. After an evening meal of stew she was ready for the next step, which came with a knock on the door. Outside was the woman - and Bursila! Milsy just stopped herself blurting out the name but nodded recognition instead.

"It's time, kid."

The three went to a downstairs room where three covered baskets stood on a table. There was a strong smell of fresh-baked bread. The woman gave Milsy a cloak to wrap around herself and they each picked up a basket.

"The story is, some of the women didn't arrive soon enough to get a proper evening meal, so they sent out for some snacks," the woman explained. "Three women arrive with baskets, three women leave again, got it?" Milsy nodded. "Now, we'll have to be real careful, 'cos we'll have an armed escort to go to the women's inn, so keep your head down and don't breathe a word, right? These men don't know we're part of no plot."

Milsy nodded, her mouth suddenly dry, and picked up a basket. The other two wore similar cloaks to her own and the three let themselves out a side door of... wherever Milsy had been. They walked along an alley and went in the back door of another building, walking through what appeared to be a kitchen that made food for travelers, although she saw nobody. At the front entrance three men-at-arms in palace colors waited, turning to give the three women the customary glance as they appeared.

"Ready, girls?" one asked. "It's not far, and then you can come back and relax for the evening."

"I'm glad you think we can relax once we've done this extra chore," the woman retorted. "It's all right for the likes of you, you can just find a tavern and have another beer or three. We have dishes to wash and vegetables to prepare for tomorrow, haven't we, girls?"

Milsy and Bursila made non-committal noises. The men guided them through the small town to a large building which had more men guarding it. They were challenged and apparently the reasons seemed acceptable, so their own escort waited outside while the three women climbed the steps and entered.

Inside the decor was better than the warehouse but not as good as the upper levels of the castle. Milsy could hear voices from several directions as she took in their surroundings.

"Off you go, kid," the woman said. "Good luck."

Milsy looked surprised but Bursila took her arm. "This way, Milady."

Huh? Oh, of course. That's me from now on.

Bursila led her to a small downstairs room where she discovered Garia and Merizel already waiting.

"Oh, good!" Garia said. "Have any trouble?"

Milsy shook her head. "Not really. There's a great deal of waiting about, though. And watch out for the toilets and bath tubs, they're worse than I've ever seen in my life. What do we do now, then?"

"We change clothes, of course," Garia said, adding with a smile, "I'll bet you'll be glad to get that wig off your head."

"It's not so bad," Milsy replied, "though it was rather warm when I was hiding in the wagon."

The four girls helped each other strip down to their underwear and then Garia and Merizel put on the traveler's clothes which Milsy and Bursila had worn to enter the house.

"Gotta go," Garia said as Bursila began lacing Milsy into Garia's evening gown, "or they'll wonder why the women visitors are taking so long. Here," she said, and gave Milsy a big hug. "I hope you have a nice, peaceful trip down to the palace and nothing bad happens. Have yourself a great time when you get there, right? Bye, now. Come on, Merry."

Milsy managed a "Bye," as the two girls slipped out of the room. Bursila finished dressing her and then she helped Bursila into the servant's dress which had been left ready in the room. Bursila motioned Milsy to a chair and then picked up the baskets, putting the excess clothing over an arm.

"I must leave you briefly, Milady, to dispose of these items," Bursila explained. She left, Milsy shutting the door behind her. It was not long before the maid returned.

"Come, Milady," she said, "we had better join the others."

Bursila led Milsy through the building and into a large room where a number of women were seated. Milsy recognized the Queen and promptly curtseyed. Terissa and Dalenna jumped up from their own seats, eyes alight.

"Oh, she's very good, isn't she?"

"If you didn't know, and from a distance..." Dalenna cocked her head. "The hair isn't quite right though, is it?"

"We can fix that, can't we? We asked Garia... the other Garia how it was done, so that we could have ours the same when we get back to Brikant. Mother? Can we help?"

"Now, you two, calm yourselves down. The poor girl has only just entered the room and already you're trimming her hair! Sit down, please." Sindenna smiled at Milsy. "Garia, dear, take no notice of this pair." Terissa pouted. "Sometimes I think they have enough energy for six daughters."

The Queen watched as Milsy hesitantly chose a seat and sat carefully down.

"My dear," she said, "I know you are nervous but you will have to try and relax. Tomorrow morning, when we climb in our carriage, will be much more difficult than tonight has been but you must behave as though it were all normal."

Milsy licked her lips. "As you say, Ma'am. A lot of new things have happened to me the last few days."

"We understand, dear. I think you will find it easier once we are away from here and on our way home." Terys regarded Milsy thoughtfully. "The twins are right, though. Your hair is as short as... the other's was but it does not curl right. Who cut it for you?"

"Bursila did, Ma'am, with... instructions from the other. We didn't think anyone else should know that it had been done."

"Quite right, too. Now, Terissa, are you sure you know what to do?"

"Ma'am, ...Garia explained how the curl was made by cutting away the hair underneath." She suddenly looked doubtful. "I'm not sure I'd care to do it myself, Ma'am, but we could show someone else what to do."

"Then tomorrow morning, between us, we shall make the necessary changes. Bursila?"

"Ma'am?"

"Your work is fine but nobody expected you to copy an unusual hair style without any practice or warning. You have done as well as Mistress Shelda might have done given the circumstances."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"Garia, dear."

That's me!

"Ma'am?"

"We have decided that you shall ride with us tomorrow. That way we will be able to inform you of matters your double would certainly know about. After that, you may ride in your own carriage if you should so wish."

"Thank you, Ma'am." Ride in my own carriage?" Uh, Ma'am? On my own? In my own carriage, that is?"

The Queen pursed her lips. "Perhaps you have a point, my dear. On our journey here you had company for the ride, Master Parrel and Questor Gerdas. They have both returned to Palarand already but I do not think that they would have presented any risk to our enterprise. Others might, however. Let me think about that tonight. Perhaps I need to have a word with Robanar tomorrow."

The conversation turned to other matters and Milsy sat quietly listening, since she had little to contribute. Both the twins occasionally fixed her with a keen glance but she could detect no animosity from either, it was just interest in the unusual happenings. Finally the Queen stood.

"I think it is time we retired for the night," she pronounced. "We all have long journeys to make and we will need to be fresh and alert in the morning. Bursila, take Garia to her room and see she is settled, please. Garia, we'll see you at breakfast."

"As you say, Ma'am."

~o~O~o~

Morning came and Bursila dressed Milsy in a fresh traveling gown before the two joined the other women for breakfast. This was the first occasion that Milsy had eaten at the same table as the Queen and other noblewomen but the twins made her feel at ease. Garia and Jenet had shown her how to use a fork so, while she wasn't as proficient as Garia might have been, there were no accidents or fumbles.

After breakfast the noblewomen all gathered in the large lounge again while servants packed up their chests. With cautious use of shears and the application of rollers heated in hot water the adjustments to Milsy's hair were completed. Then it was time for them all to leave the lodgings for their carriages. Milsy waited beside the Queen for their own carriage to be brought and once it arrived they walked together through a double row of guardsmen who lined the route with swords drawn.

"I'm afraid you'll have to sit with your back to the frayen, my dear," Terys said. "The King prefers to sit facing forward and I must sit by his side so that we may wave at people as we pass." She smiled. "Besides, this way it will be easier for us to talk with you."

"Thank you, Ma'am," Milsy replied respectfully. "Uh, this is the first time I have ever been inside a carriage, I don't know what to expect."

Terys's eyes widened briefly before she said, "Of course, my dear. I must apologize, I wasn't thinking. Some people find it difficult to sit with their back to the frayen because it makes them feel uneasy or upsets their stomachs. I wondered if you were one of those but since you have no experience I shall just ask that you tell us if you find the motion unpleasant so that we can make some other arrangement. Will you promise to do that, dear? I don't want you to feel unwell and suffer in silence."

Milsy nodded. "I shall, Ma'am."

The carriage jolted into motion and wound through the small town before stopping in front of another building.

"Wait here, my dear," Terys said before the door was opened and she climbed out.

Milsy looked through the side window and saw a crowd of men burst out of the main door of the building. Most of them she vaguely recognized but the King was obvious. The Queen joined the group and many farewells were made before the King escorted her back to their carriage. Robanar smiled at Milsy when he climbed in to join her.

"Good morning, Milady," he greeted her. "I see our deception has gone off smoothly so far. Are you well? You look anxious, the Queen and I will try and put you at your ease as we travel. You must know that Garia has become as familiar to us as our daughters and she has become just as beloved. We must make sure that you are as relaxed as she might appear to any we pass by today."

"Thank you, Sire. I have already said that I will do my best and I will try to do that."

"As you say."

A man came to the window and looked in. Robanar nodded to him and the man raised a hand to the driver. The carriage moved off and a group of mounted guardsmen came and surrounded the carriage closely as they headed for the road south. Soon the procession reached open countryside and settled into the slow ride toward the capital. Milsy looked with interest at the terrain as they rolled past.

"My dear, I assume you have never been across the Sirrel before?"

"No, Ma'am. This is all new to me. It looks so different, so flat. Around the castle all you can see is mountains."

"Did you live all your life in the castle, then?" Robanar asked.

"Sire, I did. Sometimes I would go to the town with the other servants but mostly I was inside the walls somewhere. We were permitted to go on some of the terraces when the weather was good and of course I could see across the river from the windows but seeing it like this is very different. Sire, it occurs to me I don't even know how long it will take us to reach the palace."

"Ah, normally it would take us two days, because such a procession as this takes time to get into motion and to stop again. Merchant caravans usually take a day but may take longer if they are pulling heavy loads." Robanar smiled at Milsy. "That means, my dear, that we shall sleep tonight in a pavilion about halfway along our journey home." He raised a hand when Milsy frowned. "Do not worry, my dear, we shall all be well-guarded during the night, you can be assured about that."

"Thank you, Sire."

Terys asked, "Is there anything you would like to ask us about Garia, dear? We are private, this is the best chance we have to make sure that you find out anything you are unsure about."

"As you say, Ma'am." Milsy was uncertain. "I spent some time speaking with Lady Garia and Lady Merizel and their maids so I have been told quite a lot but of course it doesn't really mean that much to me yet. They talked about any number of people who I don't know and wouldn't recognize and about places in the palace but until I have been there I won't know my way around." She made a wry smile. "And of course I don't know what I don't know, Ma'am."

"I'm sure Bursila will help you find your way around the palace although," Terys pursed her lips, "Bursila herself is a newcomer to the palace." She turned to Robanar. "Dear, can you think of a way we might help our friend here to settle in to the palace? I would not wish to assign another maid, Jenet had enough discretion but I can think of few others who might hold their tongues. The deception would be all over the palace before the carriages are put away."

"I think the answer is to use one of your own," Robanar said after a few moment's thought. "After all, both Kenila and Varna have served Garia on occasion in the past, and you may trust both of your own maids, can you not?"

Terys nodded. "Then that is what we will do, I think. Since, to begin with, you will be spending most of your time in your suite it will be natural for my maids to offer assistance, just as they did in the past." She fell silent, thinking. "I think it will be a good idea, if we can arrange it, for you to be able to leave your suite in some other disguise in order to learn the palace corridors. That way, when attention has died down and you can be given a little freedom you will have some idea where everywhere is. Everywhere, that is, that Garia would normally go during her daily activities."

Robanar frowned. "Do you think that is wise, my dear?"

"This girl is already in disguise, husband," she replied. "And she is very good at it. I doubt not she can disguise herself as a palace maid from time to time? That way she and another may walk the corridors without comment."

"Excepting for the hair, of course," Robanar said. He waved a dismissive hand. "She wore a wig before, it is no great matter to disguise her hair and face. My dear, you are right. This girl is clever enough to find her way around the palace at need and that is a talent which may be of use to her in the future. Very well, I approve this idea, but she must spend a week or perhaps two in her suite before she begins any new adventures."

"Agreed, dear." Terys smiled at Milsy. "We don't want you to think you are being kept in a comfortable prison, my dear, but we are pretending that we are concerned for your safety, which is true enough. Now, if you cannot think of things to ask about Garia, perhaps we shall tell you what we know instead."

It seemed like no time at all before the procession pulled off the road into a wide, organized stopping place. Advance parties from the front of the long train were ready and waiting as their carriage came to a halt and the occupants were soon standing, stretching their legs.

"This way, my dear," Terys said, holding out a hand. "After sitting down so long I expect you'll need to visit the bath house?"

"Ma'am?" Milsy was confused until she spotted the low building the Queen pointed at. "Oh, yes, Ma'am! I think I do."

When they emerged, to be surrounded by their ever-attentive escort, they were led to some tables set in front of a kitchen with one wall exposed to the elements. Milsy had never seen such a thing before but managed to hide both her surprise and her curiosity.

After all, she thought, there must be many wagons and carriages traveling this road and they will all want food served quickly, won't they? This is a good way of doing that.

The King joined their table just as the servants brought pel and pastries.

"Everything is well, my dear?" he smiled at his wife. "And with you, Garia?"

"Thank you, Sire, it is," she replied with a nod. There were lots of questions in her mind which she was dying to ask but couldn't do so in public. Garia had already been this way and would therefore already know all the answers.

The party was served pel and pastries while servants and retainers ensured that the various beasts were fed and watered and the carriages and wagons checked over. After the stop they all climbed back into their carriages and the whole procession slowly resumed its route south. The morning passed in a similar fashion as before, with Robanar and Terys waving at the onlookers as the procession passed through some tiny villages and what seemed to be a small market town. Finally, with Milsy's stomach beginning to rumble, the procession pulled into another rest stop.

The meal itself was interesting. In the castle she was familiar with the usual kitchen routine which meant that most meals took between one and two bells to prepare. Travelers wouldn't want to delay that long upon their journeys so the food was prepared in a different fashion. She learned new expressions: "stir fried" and "flame grilled" which seemed such simple and quick ways of cooking that she wondered they weren't used more widely. Then she shrugged internally, since for all she knew they were used more widely; she just didn't know how normal people lived.

And once I get to the palace I'll find out even less about how normal people live!

The afternoon passed very slowly. Robanar said that was because their procession was so large that it couldn't even travel at the speed of a normal merchant train. Had it attempted to do so, it would long have disintegrated into many fragments putting everybody at risk and creating chaos. Fortunately their draft-beasts understood this and by some strange means managed to keep the procession together without help from their drivers. Milsy had seen dranakhs before but had never been close to one and knew little about them, so didn't understand how this happened.

As the shadows began to lengthen the procession finally reached their overnight stop. The stopping place had been completely reserved for the royal party but was still far too small to fit everybody in the normal accommodation. Milsy and Bursila were shown to a pavilion with double layers of stout canvas and rugs thrown on the ground to keep the damp and dirt at bay. Two of 'her' armsmen carried chests in so that they could change from their travel clothes.

"Should we be changing into evening gowns, Bursila?"

"It is not customary, Milady," the maid replied. "Although I am no expert, it seems the rules for travelers are different than those we would follow in the palace... or even at Lady Merizel's home. You will feel refreshed by selecting another day gown this time, I deem, and also save your evening gown from attracting dirt in such a place as this."

Milsy considered this and then nodded. Evening gowns were another subject she knew little about, since below-stairs staff didn't wear them at any time. She understood the appalling level of ignorance she had and just hoped that nobody would find her out, putting the whole project at risk.

"Milady," Bursila said, seeming to read her mind, "the other... did not know such customs either. If there is any lapse then it is almost certain that it will be forgiven. The other... has, after all, been in Palarand only a few months and I have learned that the customs of her own world are somewhat different than those in Palarand."

"You're right of course, Bursila, but that doesn't mean I mustn't try and do what she might have done. In many ways this is as strange to me as it must have been to her."

"Of course, Milady, I had not considered that." Bursila opened a chest and began lifting gowns up. "Which will you choose, Milady? I would advise a thicker cloth, since we will be eating outside and the air is not so warm as it was earlier today."

Between them they chose another gown, one which Milsy decided could be worn again for the second day of their journey. Although the weather had been fair, and the season still young, Milsy had spent most of her life amid the heat of the castle kitchens and discovered that parts of her were cooler than expected. Doubtless this would improve over time, she thought.

The two emerged from their pavilion to be met by Tord with a sharp salute.

"Is everything satisfactory, Milady?"

"Thank you, Tord, it is. I could ask you the same question."

He grimaced but replied, "So far it is, Milady, though we have been on the road but a single day. Some of the men forget from time to time who they are supposed to be and wander off to speak with friends. Of course, even Milady's men were once Palace Guards so it is natural but a lack of attention to your safety would be unforgivable."

Milsy frowned. "I don't think I can help you with that, Tord, not until we get to the palace anyway. If there is any real problem then you must needs speak to Captain Merek. We all have to at least act as if we are what we are supposed to be."

Tord inclined his head. "Wise words, Milady. I will call our group together before assigning the night roster and impress upon them again the serious nature of our duties."

The evening meal was, of course, fit for a King and Milsy was seated beside him to eat it. This time, the kitchens had been given advance warning, so the dishes were not 'fast food' but properly prepared and cooked fare. It was not as good as that she had helped prepare in Dekarran but then, Dekarran was not a normal residence. Milsy wondered what the palace kitchens would be like but realized that she might never find out. She would be eating what they produced but her natural curiosity to see how they did it meant going places Garia probably would not care to venture.

Back in their pavilion Milsy and Bursila prepared for bed.

"I'm sorry we haven't been together much today," Milsy said. "If I had ridden in my own carriage then you would have been there as well but even the Queen's maids don't ride inside the royal carriage if the King and Queen have guests. Has it been boring for you?"

"Not at all, Milady. I have of course been riding with some of the other servants, as is proper, and they all know that I am recently come to the palace so they do not expect me to know everything they do." Bursila blushed. "I have learned much gossip, some of which I barely believe and most of which I dare not repeat."

"Dekarran's the same," Milsy said. "The stories that were going around about... the other ranged from the ridiculous to the impossible! Because the kitchens served everyone in the castle it became a seething mass of gossip, so much so that I sometimes wished everyone would be struck dumb. How anybody could believe much of what was said I cannot imagine."

"Aye. I think 'tis true of any noble's house, Milady. Even at Lady Merizel's home, South Reach on the edge of Crescent Lake, the servants told tales to each other, most of which were entirely fantasy. It is the way of the world, I deem."

"There!" Milsy plucked doubtfully at her nightgown. "Are we going to be warm enough in these?"

"Aye, Milady. We have traveling quilts filled with pakh wool which will ensure a comfortable night's sleep."

"Then let's get to bed. Tomorrow will be another long day, I think."

~o~O~o~

Milsy was wakened by the sound of low voices and the clink of equipment. There was enough light to tell her that dawn had recently broken and that the camp was beginning to stir. Beside her, Bursila yawned, stretched and opened her eyes.

"Good morning, My Lady. Did you sleep well?"

"Thank you, Bursila, yes I did. I thought maybe the unusual setting and the noise of animals and guards might disturb me but it was not so. The bed was comfortable too." Milsy pulled back the quilt. "What do we do now? Do we have to dress before we can get to the bath house? I'm not sure I can wait that long."

"Not so, Milady. For such a stop, a traveler may walk across with a robe wrapped around her nightwear."

Milsy swung her legs off the padded pallet. "Then let's get going. From the sounds outside, everybody is waking up and we don't want to end up in a long line of women with crossed legs!"

There was, fortunately, no line for the toilet chambers but there was a small wait for a bath tub. Milsy and Bursila quickly soaped each other down and used the supplied pitchers to rinse the soapy water away, before climbing out and toweling themselves off. Back in their pavilion they dressed each other for the road and went out again to seek breakfast. Surrounded by six attentive guardsmen they headed for the eating area.

"Ah, Garia, my dear. Slept you well?"

"Your Majesty, good morning." Milsy curtseyed to Robanar. "We did, thank you."

"Good, good. If you would join us for breakfast, my dear."

"As you wish, Sire."

Robanar, Terys and Milsy sat around a table for four, Captain Merek taking the fourth side. There was a double cordon of guardsmen surrounding the table but not so closely packed that nobody could see the diners. However, they were only letting the serving staff through together with known members of the palace entourage. Milsy could tell that the King was unhappy with this arrangement but given the circumstances it was difficult to think of any alternative.

"Dear," Terys muttered, "do you think that perhaps we are being too cautious today?"

"An awkward question, my dear," Robanar replied, "for an awkward circumstance."

"If I may, Sire," Merek said. "I agree we are probably being too strict with our arrangements but the effect is to draw the thoughts of any wrongdoer in our direction and away from other places, as we desire. If we take so much trouble, they may say, then there must be some good reason for it." He took a sip of his pel. "I trust that we may reduce our vigilance once we reach the palace, though, else our men may do nothing but pace the family corridor."

Robanar nodded. "Indeed, Merek. The palace is a large place and all of it must be protected." He smiled at Milsy. "And Garia will not wish to be stifled in her activities once we arrive. Though she may not attempt all that the other can do she must needs be able to walk the corridors in safety."

"Thank you, Sire," Milsy said. "The palace sounds an interesting place and, like any young person, I desire to explore it, if I am so permitted."

Robanar beamed at her. "And so you shall, my dear, when sufficient time has passed. I regret that once we arrive, though, you must needs remain in your suite for some few days in order to maintain our story."

Milsy inclined her head. "Of course, Sire. I know why I am here and what I must do."

Once the whole procession had been given breakfast it was time to resume the highway. Milsy estimated that it was nearly a bell and a half after she had finished breakfast before everyone was ready to pull back onto the road south. Once more the immense procession ground into motion to continue the journey to the capital.

"Sire," Milsy asked after a while, "I notice that many of the houses we pass are built on poles raised above the ground. Is this a local custom? There is nothing like this at Dekarran."

"It is the rains, my dear. In Dekarran the water runs directly from the hillsides into the river and troubles very few. In such a flat land as you see around us the water has nowhere to go, so it lies on the fields until it may slowly drain away. That is why many build their houses thus, to keep them above the level of the flood."

"I see, Sire." She raised an eyebrow. "That still happens, even though there are all these wide ditches everywhere?"

"Indeed it does, my dear. I am told that in older times even those houses we see would have been partly flooded but the rains have become more moderate during my own lifetime. Even so, many buildings are flooded out during the season. The local Assemblies provide patrols to ensure that no-one is trapped or injured or left without food or shelter during the rains." He smiled. "Do not worry, my dear. The palace is built over the wonderful drainage system left to us by the Chivans and it is many years since any part of it was flooded."

Terys said, "That may be true, dear, but we are still struck by lightning from the skies. Why, even... the other... was nearby when that first strike happened, do you remember?"

Milsy's eyes were round. "Really? What happened, Ma'am?"

Terys described the palace strike which had left Garia temporarily deafened and blinded, while blowing out several windows in the corridor she had been passing through.

"Such power, and yet she has now made her own lightning, strong enough to melt metal, so I am told. Perhaps Master Parrel can explain it to Garia once we are settled back in the palace."

Robanar gave his wife a glance. "Are you sure, my dear? I do not doubt we may trust Parrel but I am concerned that too many shall know the secret too soon."

Terys pointed a finger at Milsy. "Dear, I doubt not that this one shall be wearing a guild badge before the year is ended. I do not see how we can keep her away from them for very long, nor them from her."

"Me? A guild member? You make fun of me, Ma'am!"

"We shall see, dear. You have a sharp mind, with Garia to guide you you will be able to make best use of it, and she is already a Guildmistress. Now, I see we are approaching another town. If you will excuse us, we must needs return the greetings of our people."

As the highway passed through the center of the small town Milsy could once again observe that the people of Palarand held their royal couple in high esteem. Whatever they were doing, it was apparently the right thing so far as the ordinary folk of the land was concerned. Dekarran was a self-contained place and Milsy's contact with outsiders had been infrequent. This journey had shown her things she had never before imagined could be.

A stop for their morning break was followed by another for lunch and then they were on the last section before arriving at the palace. Since lunch the roadside had become more crowded with mansions and villas, the farms still appearing but smaller now and dedicated to providing fruit and vegetables for the locality they were passing through. The buildings became larger and more elaborate and it was apparent that many were the residences of nobility or prosperous merchants. Most were still built on stilts and the sidewalks alongside the highway were also raised, making Milsy aware of the effects of the two-month fall of rain the Great Valley suffered each year.

Suddenly the procession was passing through a stone archway in a thick wall and everything was different. The villas were replaced by blocks of mansions along roads which had become narrower than the highway they had followed before. The speed dropped, too, as the sidewalks became crowded with cityfolk eager to see their returning King and Queen. Milsy was overwhelmed by the attention, even though most of it was not directed at her.

"Look! That's the girl who -"

"Who's that? Is she the one they adopted?"

"What interesting hair! Mom, can I have my hair -"

"Is she going to marry Prince Keren, then?"

Terys leaned forward and put a hand on Milsy's knee. "Dear, while Garia is known to the Guilds and Questors, I doubt many in the crowd know what she looks like. Do not be alarmed. Most of what they say is but rumor, they do not know the truth."

Robanar added, "My dear, your different features may help us as they confuse who you might be. As far as many who see you today are concerned, you will be Garia, as is intended."

Milsy took a quick look at the onlookers. "As you say, Sire." She thought, then asked, "What was that stone arch we went through, Sire?"

Robanar grunted. "That was the North Gate of the Old City, my dear. In ancient times Palarand was a city built by the Chivans and it had walls to keep out undesirables. Of course our modern city is far too big to fit within the old walls but we keep them as a reminder of former times. Now," he leaned and pointed out of one of the windows, "when the carriage turns you shall see the palace, our home. The procession will stop at the front entrance and we will all climb out." He smiled. "Welcome to your new home, Garia."

Despite seeing the palace from the road outside it took perhaps a quarter of a bell before their carriage stopped in front of a line of steps leading up to the imposing entrance. Immediately servants who had remained behind swarmed around the arrivals, opening doors and beginning to unload the belongings they had taken with them to Dekarran. Robanar stepped out followed by Terys and then Milsy. She blinked as she saw the front of the palace properly for the first time.

"It's... not what I imagined."

Terys answered, "Of course, dear. How could you, having lived in that great stone pile all your life? Be assured that you will find the palace to be a comfortable place to live."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

By that time their maids had rejoined their mistresses and Terys gestured to the stairs.

"We shall climb the steps together, dear. When we reach the top we must turn and wave to the crowds before going inside. Bursila, do you know the way to Garia's suite from the front entrance?"

"Ma'am, I regret I do not," Bursila answered. "Neither Lady Garia nor Lady Merizel have visited this entrance very much, except when the Dukes departed just before the rains began."

"Ah. Then I will find a footman to guide you."

"Ma'am?" Tord spoke up. "I know the way and we must needs escort Lady Garia in any event."

"Of course you do. That's settled, then. Shall we climb?"

Milsy was surprised by the size of the crowd who had gathered outside the railings to watch the details of the royal arrival. Mostly they were quiet but gave a cheer when Robanar and Terys waved to them. Then it was time to turn and go inside.

"If you would follow me, Milady."

The palace corridors were richly furnished, much like those in the castle. Here, though, the floors were polished wood rather than being carpeted. Milsy supposed that the traffic here was much greater than in most parts of the castle and carpeted floors just wouldn't stand that level of wear. The walls and ceilings were also just polished wood but the cornices between were intricately carved and some were painted bright colors while others were gilded.

Milsy was lost almost immediately in the strange building, though she had no doubt that some kind of layout would resolve itself in due time. For now, she and Bursila just followed Tord while the other members of her escort gathered closely round. Here, occasionally, they passed servants and others who pressed themselves against the walls to permit their party through. Most bowed or curtseyed with a muttered "My Lady" before continuing their way.

At some undefinable point the nature of the corridors changed and Milsy guessed that they were now in the part of the palace not normally permitted to visitors. After some further twists and turns Tord gestured to a broad staircase and said, "We must ascend to the upper level, Milady."

As they climbed, Milsy asked, "Only two levels, Tord?"

"Mostly, Milady. There are several towers that go higher but none contain chambers of interest to us. There are no lower levels, unlike in Dekarran, since they would become flooded during the rains each year."

"Of course. Thank you, Tord."

The corridors were slightly narrower here but still richly furnished. Around a corner Tord walked past the first door and then stopped with a flourish at the next.

"This is the entrance to your suite, Milady. For now I will post two men outside your door and two at each end of the corridor." He pointed to the door next along from Garia's. "The suite of the King and Queen is that one, and facing them is the suite of Prince Keren. I doubt you would have any reason to enter his chambers but you will probably be asked to attend the King or Queen in their sitting room from time to time."

"You're probably right, Tord. Thank you for your help so far, I can see we're going to need you as a guide for a while until we both get to know how the palace is laid out."

"As you say, Milady." He quirked a brief grin. "It occurs to me that I must needs check your suite for assassins before you take possession." He turned. "Taren, if you would join me. Milady, you may follow us at your leisure."

Tord turned the handle and opened the door, entering followed by the named armsman. Milsy looked at Bursila, shrugged, and the two of them followed. Inside, the chamber was bright and airy with tall windows overlooking a courtyard. The room was furnished with a settee and several comfortable armchairs so Milsy guessed that this would be the "sitting room" which Garia had told her about. A large marble fireplace occupied most of one wall. Near the window was a table and four chairs which were presumably used for meetings or for taking private meals whenever necessary. A door opened out beside the windows onto... a balcony? Something to be investigated.

The two guardsmen went through another doorway and reappeared shortly afterwards. Tord saluted.

"Milady, your chambers appear secure. We will leave you in peace now. If you have need, somebody will always be outside your door."

"Thank you, Tord."

As the two men left Bursila turned to Milsy. "Milady, you will probably have need of the toilet chamber after our journey. If you would follow me into the bedroom."

Through the other door Milsy found a large bed with a door either side. Bursila pointed to the door nearest the windows.

"Milady, that is your dressing room. The other one is the bathing chamber."

"A real bath? Right in the bedroom?"

"Milady, this suite and the one next to it were used by the Princesses before they married and moved away. Of course they would have such facilities."

"As you say. I'm not thinking, am I, Bursila? I'm just not used to the ways of royalty yet. Hmm. You mentioned a toilet? Is that in the bathroom?"

"Not so, Milady. If you would look on the other side of the chamber, you will see the door."

"Let's go investigate that toilet, then. You're right, it has been a while since we last had the opportunity."

When they emerged, Bursila suggested they make an inspection of the dressing room and its contents and then refresh themselves with a bath. Milsy looked at the rails of gowns and other gear and wondered how much would fit her.

I don't even know if I'm going to need to wear much of it! I'm certainly not going to go riding or training with the men, am I? Best leave well alone for now, the day gowns should be sufficient and even then I'm not going to get to try many of them.

The two entered the bath chamber and Bursila pulled the rope for water. It was not long before they had stripped and immersed themselves in the large pool, Milsy feeling instantly refreshed after two days of unaccustomed travel. The two had soaped each other down and were leisurely rinsing the suds off each other's body when Bursila stopped.

"Listen, Milady! Do you hear that?"

"What?" Milsy stopped, listening. "Voices! Is that what you mean? I don't know how sound carries in a place like this."

"Milady, the walls are substantial, though very occasionally we might hear something from another chamber. But these seem to me as if in your bed chamber."

Milsy listened again. "Yes, you're right! Men's voices, I deem. Think you Tord seeks us for some reason?"

"I could not say, Milady. But we are about finished, are we not? If we should climb out and dry ourselves we may find out what is happening."

The two climbed out and hastily toweled themselves - and each other - dry before wrapping themselves in fluffy robes. Milsy cracked the door and looked out to find two strange men bent over something on a small table near one of the bedroom windows. Standing in the doorway to the sitting room stood Tord, looking anxious. Milsy stepped out, remembering who she was supposed to be.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my bedchamber?"

The two spun round and looked at Milsy with confusion. One was a young man, about her own age, while the other was older but of a smaller build. The older man spoke before Tord could give an explanation.

"We are guildsmen, permitted by Lady Garia to examine some of her belongings... I must needs ask who you are! You seem not unlike the Guildmistress but you are not her! What are you doing in her quarters, wearing her attire? Are you an imposter?"

up
297 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, no plan survives contact with the 'enemy'

More people have to be brought into the plot of course so this is no surprise. The main question has always been as to how much time can they buy Garia before the deception is discovered. We know the deception lasted no more than a week or two before Durko was able to inform Fikt so I take it that as long as Milsy kept up the pretense for a month, that was ample.

Jolly good

A new set of problems for the new Garia. Nicely done!

Milsy is finding so many

Milsy is finding so many things strange and different to what she is normally used to her in her young life, because her life was so secluded being a kitchen worker. As most people living in an age such as we find the kingdom and the world of Anmar in general; would generally never go much beyond their 5-maybe 20 miles from their homes. Even in the US, until the advent of the automobile, people did not travel much beyond that same distance. Strangely, it took the Civil War to get more of the population "out and about".
From the tone of his voice, it should be most interesting to find out who this "overbearing jerk" is or who he thinks he is. Perhaps our good king and queen can put him in his place, especially for Milsy's sake.
She has enough on her plate without having to deal with pompous asses.

A wrench had to be found somewhere

Jamie Lee's picture

The plan was going so well, they made it back to the palace without any problems. And of course it has to be at the palace where an unplanned for problem occurred.

The two guildsmen have sharp eyes, wonder if they want to keep them and their tongues?

Others have feelings too.