Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 24

Printer-friendly version
"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things




CHAPTER 24

Ginny couldn't wait for us to get home, she started in Peabody. “What are you talking about?”
she asked, “Kevin? I'm just teasing, you know, smiling, and looking into his eyes.”

“Oh shoot, Ginny, that's like waving a red flag in front of a bull!” I said. ”You don't know the effect you're having when you do that. If you were trying to catch Kevin, well congratulations, you have him!”

“What do you mean?” Ginny asked, “I'm just being a little playful, that's all. I don't mean anything by it.

“You present as a desirable woman, You had Morales lusting after you, Kevin was ready to confront him, or weren't you aware of this? You were too busy wiggling and fluttering your eyes to notice, weren't you?”

“I was just enjoying being a woman, I didn't mean anything by it,” she protested. “Honestly.”

“Ginny, that is the trouble, you are not a woman, not physically. You can't allow someone to find out what kind of plumbing you have, especially around Morales for goodness sakes. You've got Kevin red faced and stuttering when he's near you. Don't be surprised if he calls and asks you out. What will you do then?”

By this time we were sitting in my driveway with the SUV idling wasting gas.

“Come on, we'll finish this inside. Would you get my saddle please Ginny, I'll open the door.”

Ginny left the saddle in the entry for me and followed me to my room where I was changing out of my riding clothes into my uniform, jeans and a sweatshirt.

“What can I do?” she asked, “I didn't realize what I was doing, I was just enjoying looking the way I always felt. I wasn't trying to have the poor guy fall for me. Now what?”

“Look, with Kevin it's too late, he's hooked. All you can do is try to hold him off for a while.
If he's the man I think he is, we may be able to tell him the truth, at least, that you are transgendered, making a transition. Not any stuff with Morales, that could lead to trouble.”

“What do you mean by trouble?” Ginny asked

“Testosterone will flow between those two. Kevin already disliked Morales for who he is, no need to add you into the mix. If you get outed, Morales might recognize Gene underneath the hair and make-up. We need to be careful. Hey, isn't time you paid your way here? I'm starving, what's for lunch?”

“Okay, how about soup and sandwiches? I was thinking of minestrone soup, and baked ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches. How does that sound? We also have bread and butter pickles and potato chips, a four course lunch,” she laughed.

“Lets eat, we'll talk about where to look for a car for you over sandwiches; Kevin later.”

I turned on the tv. There was a college football game on all three networks, so I put on the Boston College, West Virginia game. We watched that while we ate, all thoughts of romance and used cars flew out of our minds. BC lost by a touchdown in the last minute.

On to used cars.

“Ginny, do you want to buy a car and finance it or pay cash outright? My advice is, you are still being paid under the table so to speak, no-one will lend you money, without a job. We'll talk to Steve on Monday about that. In the meantime, if you don't spend a lot of money, you can buy it outright.”

“I don't want a piece of junk, but you forget, I drove trucks for a while, I know a good car when I see it, I can also fix them!”

“Okay, lets go to the computer to see what's out there for used, mid-sized SUVs. I like the Honda CRV for the price, their reliability can't be beaten.”

“Let's look at the Toyota RAV4 too,” Ginny said, “it's a nice little car.”

I booted up my laptop and typed in the Honda on Firefox. A list of places came up and I selected a dealer that was across the street from the new project in Lynn, the idea being, if a problem came up, we could walk there from the office.

Three CRVs were in stock, along with two RAV4s. Jackpot!

A red 2008 CRV with 62,000 miles looked great. It had a leather interior, CD player, and heated seats. The asking price was $11,000, well in our range. A gray 2014 CRV, equipped the same with only 28,000 miles was available for $19,000. A little too much.

Both of the RAV4s were 2009's one was $9,500, the other was $8,700. the first one had 80,000 miles, the other had 67,000.

The CRV and both Toyotas were in our price range, so we decided to go there first. This was on the Lynnway, so there were several other used and new car dealerships we could go to without having to drive all over the place.

The next locations with SUVs in our range were on Route 114. There must be ten dealerships on that road, including a CarMax, something new, they specialize in pre-owned vehicles. I think I saw that they are all over the country, and if you want a car in Florida they will ship it to you
for a small price, sometimes free.

After deciding to go looking tomorrow morning at 11am, I went back to the television to improve my mind. Ginny's mind being improved enough, she sat down with a book by Andre Norton. Ginny apparently likes classic science fiction.

For years, I thought Andre was a man, and it wasn't until a couple of years ago I discovered he was a she. I guess in the era she was writing, there were no female sci-fi authors, what a shame.

My fix for the wives of crooked politicians, who are crooked lawyers themselves, fulfilled, I changed the TV channel to the early news, mainly for tomorrow's weather forecast.

The Bruins lost, but the Celtics won in the last few seconds. There was a major house fire in Lynn, burning as we watched; a three alarm fire in East Boston last night, and 20 porpoises beached themselves in Cohassett.

The weather on Sunday would be above normal at 55 degrees, and breezy with sun most of the day. Perfect weather to spend $10,000 on a used car.

Ginny and I did the Walton's bedtime routine, and went to our respective beds, and I anyway, slept until 8 AM.

I awoke to the odor of coffee filling the condo, could bacon be far behind? I ran into the loo, did my morning business, washed up, passed a comb through my hair, and headed for the kitchen.

I was handed a mug of steaming coffee by Ginny. “Bacon, eggs, and toast,” she asked with a grin, “or just a bagel?”

“BET of course,” I answered, “any orange juice left?”

We settled in with our eggs and a section of the Sunday Globe, they ought to sell that paper by the pound, it's so big.

Breakfast finished, we headed to our make-up tables to work our miracles once more. I finished before Ginny, of course, nothing to do with gender, I just don't work at it as hard as she does.

With our war paint on, we headed for the Explorer and the car lot in Lynn. After about 15 minutes we pulled into the first car dealership.

“How do you want to do this?” I asked Ginny.

“Why don't you take the lead, that will let me really check out the cars with no one bothering me,”she said. “I'll know right off if there's something hidden.”

A smiling salesman came out of their office and asked if he could help us find a car. I said we saw two Honda CRVs on their web site and we'd like to see those.

He led us to the red 2008 first, ran through the car's options, then asked if we wanted to go for a test ride. We answered yes, and I got in behind the steering wheel, Ginny in the front passenger's seat, while the salesman got in the back behind Ginny. I drove down the Lynnway, over the bridge and stopped at the old Fire Station. Ginny and I switched seats, and she drove back over the bridge. Then she really put the car through its paces. We got to the long causeway to Nahant, and she sped up to 90 mph, making the salesman shout “If we get pulled over by the cops, it's my butt, not yours.”

With that, Ginny slowed to the speed limit, and pulled into the Dunkin Donuts, I asked the salesman if he wanted a coffee also. “Yes, please, but let me pay, after all I'm supposed to be talking you into buying this car.”

We'd had an uneventful ride back to the dealership. “What do you think of the CRV?” he asked me, “Do you want to talk price, or would you like to see something else?”

I mentioned the Toyota RAV4s. He said they had a deposit on one of them, but the one with 80,000 miles was still there. We got in as before, with me driving first and Ginny second. In my opinion, I liked the Honda better, the ride and handling seemed better then it did in the RAV4. Ginny agreed.

After parking the Toyota, we followed him to his cubicle to talk price. I led off, saying we liked the Honda, but not at that price, Ginny surprised me by making a counter offer of $9500. Same price as the RAV4. He shook his head, “Not enough. I need $10,500.”

“That's not going to happen,” Ginny said. “$9500, or we are out the door and heading for the next car lot.”

“I have to ask the manager how much I can take off the price.” He said.

“Tell him it's cash, not a trade, or financing, $9500 in cash.” Ginny said again.

He hopped up like he had springs for legs, and headed for a room in the back. He returned in 10 minutes with a grey-haired man and introduced him as Tom Greenly, the owner.

“What will it take to put you in this car?” he asked.

I started to laugh, somehow I expected him to use that old line. “I had hoped you would be more original.”

Greenly looked at me and said, “How's this, you have a deal. $9500 in cash. Now, let's go into my office and do the paperwork.”

I looked at Ginny and smiled, “Nice going kiddo, you have a car. Now I can get chauffeured around for a change.”

We went over the bill of sale, the insurance forms, and the title for the Registry of Motor Vehicles. We opted to have them take care of the registration and insurance for a $100 fee. The insurance broker was just down the street, but closed on Sundays, likewise the RMV.

Ginny counted out ninety-five 100 dollar bills, and received a receipt for cash paid. Tom Greenly said her car would be ready Monday after lunch. He thanked us for our business, and said, “See you girls on Monday.”

Girls! I hate being called that! I haven't been a girl for ten years, I'm a woman, dammit.

Now to go home and talk about how to deal with my flirt of a “cousin”.

To be continued

Many thanks to Bronwen for fixing the typos and grammar.

up
217 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hey, it only girls among us

Hey, it only girls among us girls right? I agree with Helen; at least after age 18 woman is the appropriate comment, not girl (that is so very 40's-50's and early 60's; and very sexist by that BOY Tom Greenly.

Right on. It makes ELLEN mad

Right on. It makes ELLEN mad enough to stamp her foot..........on his!

Karen

Just a few words make salesmen jump

Renee_Heart2's picture

Basically: "this is what I can do & if you won't deal I'll go somewhere else" AND the word "CASH deal" always makes the work harder to get their commission.

Now as for Genny being a big flirt well she dosent have years of experience as a woman to draw from but at the same time she needs to watch it. She already has Kevin ensnared without even realizing it or knowing what she's doing.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

suv

SUV = Stupid Useless Vehicle :)

Women SF Writers

joannebarbarella's picture

Try Zenna Henderson or James Tiptree Jr. (I know, it's a pen-name and her sex only became public knowledge later). Then there is Anne McCaffrey and Ursula K. LeGuin, just to mention a few of the best known. My personal favourite is Lois McMaster Bujold.

As I Read It...

...the reference was to writers of Norton's time period, mostly pre-New Wave.

Off the top, C[atherine] L. Moore's the only one that comes to mind -- and I don't think all that much of her material was in her own name. She shared her Lewis Padgett pseudonym with her husband, Henry Kuttner. On further reflection, Judith Merrill wrote under her own name.

Eric

I think honda are good cars

I think honda are good cars the wrose car I ever had was a new Morris Marina 1.7 HL it had more water leaks than a U Boat. I was on leave at the time so pissed off I got them to take it back Drove Garage and poor old Mr Chapman were lovely but BL what a bunch of c.nts no wonder they went bust in the end had a mint 73 cortina of still got it in my workshop paid 400 pound fot it That Marina a 1980 was 3000 pounds just over. Drove road garage gone now but they were lovely. When I transitioned I had second hand mk 4 Transit of them Mr Chapman was very sweet to yet he knew as Mark Then Jane and The C reg Transit was far better than the Marina no wonder Top Gear Drops panios on them. The Cortina still doing well apart from a dick busting the rear light in Asda try getting a 73 cortina rear light in 2015 But I love to drive with the 8 track on my work Citron Belingo good but love the Cortina or the Ford Tranist tranny in a Tranny. .This story is great.Keep up the good work.

I'm going to show my age!

You have an eight track with both heads working? I'm jealous, thousands of dollars of music to replace, just gathering dust. I actually bought 2 on EBay. Both had bad heads.

Old Karen

I do care most of the but

I do care most of the but also cleaning part time driving sometime for a guy who does house clearnaces for people who died or gone into home his 77 and the arm give him jip.I drive a low load be course there some time old car to take a the other month we picked a 63 mk zodica the old girl had from new last mot and tax 89 worth a few bob. Well on one of these job I got a never used 8 track and some cartridges.Old people have mental kit. On the homecare I went round a ladys house to clean up the place found loads of old shopping bags done up with tape checked full of money some was 10 bob notes old pound note had to call office had bloke round from bank face value 26 grand plus she did not know she had it .So you see old people have very interesting stuff .The old boy I drive has found ww2 guns rounds in these places . The stuff is out there . A ts freiend of mine grandad died he was great guy brought her up after her mum died dad cleared off left bunglow to had safe in bed room when open full of gold sovrings I brought 6 of her but she kept rest gold is always gold. So you see if you want old stuff that work old people have it.

To tmf fairy the best SUV to

To tmf fairy the best SUV to is what another friend of mine got a 52 serries 1 Land Rover they are cool but you have to double dectulch to change gear.

Car buying

Jamie Lee's picture

I always hate car buying. I can never go in a say what I want, because I can't afford what I want.

So I end up with the vehicle that has the most of what I can afford.

Of all the cars I've had, the best for where I live had been a Ford Explorer. And it proved itself the first time I had to drive through a foot of snow to get to work. The rear end never came around trying to see where we were going, the front stayed in the direction it was steered, and I got to work just a bit late.

Now I'm in the market to replace my SUV with another, more modern version of the Explorer. And that I can afford.

I also love it when you start talking prices. You offer a price, get that sour lemon look that says it can't be accepted, another offer is stated, the pucker look gets less, and then you ask what will they accept. Then it's your turn to offer the sour lemon look.

It'd be nice if I could just put a bunch of coins in the slot, turn the crank and get the toy I want.

So, the car is taken care of but flirty new gal is still on full ahead. How is Ellen going to get her into slow gear?

Others have feelings too.