A New Job Twist Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Two

Rebecca is floored. “You want to do what? You want to leave being a pastor for our church so you can work for some sales company out of Chicago? You have got to be crazy. There is no way that you heard right regarding the pay and benefits. I don’t mean any offense, but you aren’t that impressive. You are a short man with a portly chest.”

She stops, because she definitely has gone too far. I could retort about her own looks and simple ways. Instead, I unfold a piece of paper and hand it to her. It is on Fashionable Incs letterhead with all the salary and benefits listed. It indicates that I was guaranteed this salary for five years in fact. I passed her another folded piece of paper. This was one from our attorney, Jim, who had just done our will. It stated that this was a real document and that nothing in it was a lie or fabricated.

I can see Rebecca almost swoon and drop to the chair at the table. The offer sheet had a space for my name to accept the offer. I continued.

"Gary suggested a couple of things to talk to you about. As you will see on the offer page that as long as I am in sales, I am guaranteed to have to work forty hours a week – no more. I have the first year an orientation period that will last three to six months long. After the orientation period, I will have to spend the weekend at a conference where I am acquainted with everything I will need for my job. I will normally have three to four conferences out of the year that I am pulled away for the weekends. Otherwise, I would have more time at home, more money for us, the kids, and our future. I am really tempted by this."

Rebecca is shaking her head. “It is too good to be true. I struggle to understand why they want a goodie-too shoes pastor – no defense. The money is unbelievable. I imagine that the sky is going to drop down from somewhere. And Chicago. You know that neither of us like to drive in the big city. That is a long commute – in bad traffic two hours each way. You will be gone for 10 hours a day.”

I thought of that, and in fact, I asked Gary that specific question. He suggested, “Drive down to the Metra train in Waukegan. Take the 6:30am train for southtown. Get off there. Walk three blocks, and you are at Fashionable Incs building. You won’t need a car or anything else for that matter.”

Rebecca is holding her head. “I don’t know if our kids can continue to go to our church school if you leave the church.” I had thought of that. “I think we could join the other church down the road. We would have to pay more, but I think we could afford it with that salary.” I shake my own head and then continue on. “I am scared – terrified – but I think the opportunity is too good to pass up. They explained some of the work I would do. It would force me to get out and meet some new people. It would be difficult work. But they don’t want a salesman. They want someone with conviction – who will believe in their products. They want me, because I am not just a talking head, but someone who is simple and down-to-earth. Gary thinks I will do just fine.”

---

Gary and I are meeting at a local Starbucks in town as I hand him the offer sheet, signed, sealed and delivered. “Your suggestions were helpful, Gary. I couldn’t tell her the real reasons, but she accepted the part about conviction and down-to-earth. But we are both scared. I am preparing to bring my letter of resignation tonight to our Church’s leadership group. It will shock them. It will put them in a tailspin, because my position, easily replaceable will still take time.”

Gary shakes his head. “I understand. But with this in my hand, we cannot delay; there is much to do. We need you also. We will start with Orientation for you and our other entry level associates on Monday. We can’t afford to wait. We already have scheduled the big conference following orientation. We don’t have time to sit and wait for churches to grind their way along. Besides, I sat where you are now. There is some great joy in being free. The schedule is easier. The work is a pleasure. You will fit in well.”

I respond, “Gary, you are right. This is a big change – a career change. The larger church and family have invested themselves into this. This is something completely different than anything I have ever done. My family fears that it will leave us destitute.” Gary smiles, “It is okay, Michael. Here is the signing bonus.” It is a check for $ 54,000. “This is just as we had promised. This will take care of many different things as you transition from there to here. Of course, we will be paying you ever two weeks, full pay, even during orientation.”

I feel much better with this first promise fulfilled in my hand. I look up and see the bulge in his suit coat. I imagine what it will be like to have my own jewelry box. My eyes sparkle as I say, “When do I get to … you know?” Gary reassures me, “It will be after the orientation. You will have much to learn. You will need to learn where everything is and how things operate. There are some things as Michael you can’t rush into as … you know. You have much to learn.” I shake my head along with him. “It makes sense, Gary.” I will see you on Monday then.

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm surprised Rebecca did not

I'm surprised Rebecca did not ask "where do I sign up?" For that matter, where does anyone else sign up?

Thank you Michelle ,

This is one sales team I would love to join ,an enjoyable story though a bit short.

ALISON

If Anything, I'm Even More Convinced Now...

...than I was after the last chapter: our pastor isn't going to like what he's selling, the folks he's representing, or his interaction with the men and women he meets on the job.

I guess we'll see.

Eric

Hmmmmm diffrent

Renee_Heart2's picture

I look forward to where this story will go. I'd almost take a job like this.

Love Samantha Renee Heart