Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 22

Printer-friendly version
"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 22

'Disguise' she had said. I need to find out just what that meant before we went any further, I was risking my life for a kid a year or two behind me in high school, for goodness sake!

“Ginny, just what do you mean by 'disguise'? Are you being honest with me, or just trying to get away with $50,000?”

“Oh no Ellen, I meant being Ginny, not looking like Gene. Really. I am a woman, I am.”

She burst into tears, “I am a girl, I always was. I'm so scared I don't know what I'm saying, I'm so terrified, please, please!”

I stood and gathered her up in a hug. “It's okay Ginny, I had to ask, now wash your face and
redo your make up, you look like a raccoon, for gosh sakes. We'll go and get lunch and a cup of tea and think this out.”

While she was fixing her face, I sat and began thinking about Morales and the riding lessons at the barn. Maybe the best defense is a good offense. Who said that? That Chinese general or was it General Grant? It doesn't matter, I had a glimmering of an idea that just might work.

“Ginny, are you finished in there? Remember, no water yet, we'll go up the street and get a quiet table and talk about this, I have an idea on how to handle our Mr Morales. Let me talk to the plumber, and we can go.”

Ginny walked to the Explorer while I spoke with the plumber. “We are going to have something to eat and should be back in a hour or so. Will you wait for the system to be set up?”

“Yes ma'am,” he said. “I need to be sure everything works okay before I go. Don't worry, this is a great spot, I'll be here when you get back, no matter how long that is.”

I really hate being called 'ma'am', oh well, I've been called a lot worse.

We went to the Porthole Pub again, hey, it's close and the food is good. I waved to the greeter and directed Ginny towards the ladies bathroom. After taking care of nature, I helped her with her make-up.

“Give a quick pass with your lipstick, and we'll go and sit at a private table and discuss your new problem.”

I gave Debbie a wave and headed for a table in the corner. A waiter saw us, brought over menus and asked if we would like a drink. We both ordered Cokes, I sipped a glass of water, took a deep breath and started to tell Ginny my idea.

“Ginny, I was serious when I said no-one sees anything but an attractive, young woman when they look at you. We can use this to our advantage. Here's how.”
I had to stop as the waiter came over with our Cokes, and took our orders. I ordered a cup of clam chowder, and a Caesar salad. Ginny ordered the same except she got the fish chowder. The waiter thanked us and put in our orders.

“We will use your looks to our advantage, Ginny. Morales ran into the office looking for Gene, spoke with me, looked at you and ran out. I'm sure he's seen me at the barn before, but it didn't register with him.

“Let's take the bull by the horns; we'll let him see you Saturday, even introduce you to him. It will work, I bet Kevin will be jealous, are you aware the effect you had on the poor guy last week?”

Our chowders and salads came, and for fifteen minutes the only sound was spoons clicking on porcelain cups as we made the chowders disappear.

She looked up and asked, “You really think I'm attractive? I don't just look like a guy wearing lipstick and a dress?”

“Ginny, I don't know why, but you really look good. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were an attractive girl too. Have you looked in the mirror, what do you see?”

Ginny took a deep breath, “You are right, I guess. But understand, it's my life we're talking about here.”

“Well, you could give him his money back, that might help.” I said Ginny just snorted at that.
“Only a suggestion, don't you have an appointment with Doctor Singh at four this afternoon? We can't be late for that.”

“I was so worried about Morales, I forgot all about her! What time is it, I forgot my watch.”

“It's two-thirty, we'll go back, check with the plumber, and see what's up. The doctor's office is only twenty minutes away, we're a lot closer than the other job was. Relax, you won't be late, promise.”

We took the long ride around the rotary past the site and made a u-turn at the first light. As I drove in I could see progress, a holding tank and a salt water filled tank in the office for flushing. It's a clever idea using an anti freeze mixture to prevent water freezing. Maybe not to the rest of the world, but I am an engineer, can't help myself.

I went through the training program on how to use the system. I was polite and didn't bite his head off. He was very serious, probably the high point of his day. The lesson finished, I was asked if I had any questions, shook my head 'no', still not trusting myself not to say the wrong thing.

The plumber was wearing a grin as he handed me my keys. “Would you like me to go over how to use the sink?” He ducked as I tossed an empty coffee cup at him. “Be thankful it's styrofoam, next time it's for real.” I got a wave and a smile as he left.

“Ginny, lets get out of here, we'll take a slow ride to the doctor's office. I'll show you Lynn.”

We arrived at the doctor's office a little early, which was good, that gave me time to read about last year's college basketball games. I think somewhere, someone collects old magazines and then sells them to doctors for their waiting rooms. I mean, have you ever read a recent magazine there?

At twenty past four the nurse called Ginny in to see the doctor. Next time I'm bringing a paperback book.

The doctor checked on how she was feeling, asking if the Aldactone was bothering her at all; was she sleeping normally, any anxiety? Then she hit her with the big question, “Is this what you want.” My guess, her emotions are all over the place, I could hear her crying in the waiting room. The nurse stuck her head in and called me, saying the doctor would like to speak to me.

I tore myself away from UCLA's latest win and went in.

“Hello, Ellen, nice to see you again. The reason I called you in was to ask if Ginny is still welcome living with you or will she be getting an apartment of her own?”

“Doctor, she is welcome to stay with me as long as she likes, I enjoy the company.”

“That's great, it is important for her to have a support system to be there for her. Soon Ginny will be on an emotional roller-coaster ride, when she starts on hormones, it helps if someone who cares about her is there to help and to hand out the Kleenex.” At the last she laughed.

“Okay, I'll see you in two weeks, at that time I'll decide whether to refer you to a psychologist or not. When you start taking estradol, under their care, it will probably be too late to completely revert back to Gene, and have a normal male sex life, you do understand this don't you Ginny?”

“Yes, I am a woman not a man, no matter what plumbing I have doctor. If you won't help, I 'll get them somewhere else.”

“Don't do that Ginny, the hormones are very powerful and they need monitoring by a doctor. You could get into trouble self-dosing, promise me you won't do it.”

At that, I gave Ginny a nudge, getting her to promise Doctor Singh she would obey her orders, and make an appointment for two weeks.

Before we left, Ginny fixed the damage her tears had caused, and again looked better than me.
Next time I'll help someone built like a gorilla who looks like one also. This is tough on my confidence. Maybe I'll have to do a little more before I leave for a construction job each morning. Am I crazy? I hop in and out of trenches all day long. Any make-up would be sweat off in five minutes. Crap, no wonder I don't date.

I retrieved my car from the parking lot and asked Ginny what she wanted to do. “Well, it's 5pm, too early to eat after that lunch we had, and too dark for sight-seeing, why don't you show me how to get home from here. After all, I am going to start looking for transportation soon.”

This was a good idea, I was dead on my feet, looking to kick off my work boots, and put my feet up.

“Do you feel like take out? I can stop at a Chinese restaurant in Vinnin Square. I've heard their food is really good.”

“Great idea, that will be different from chowder. What would you like, I'll run in and pay, you took care of lunch, my turn.”

We decided on a pu-pu platter, rice, and lo-mein. With a swish of skirts, she went in the door of the restaurant. I could see her at the counter, she was teasing the guy at the cash register, what a flirt! I bet she gets something free, along with a phone number.

She did on both accounts. He stuck an order of chicken fingers in the bag with a phone number written on the box.

We got home, ate, and began planning how to introduce her to Morales so he thought it was his idea. It was decided that we would stay longer and watch Kevin drive his horse, then start a conversation with Morales' daughter. That should force introductions. This would allow me to mention how abruptly he ran into my office looking for that truck driver. This will make him concentrate on me and not look to closely at Ginny.

It seemed like a good plan, at worst, he might bark at me, but with his daughter present, I'm betting he will be on his best behaviour.

We went to bed, looking forward to the weekend, hoping this would divert Morales' attention away from us. You know what they say about plans.

To be continued.

Many thanks to Bronwen for fixing the typos and grammar.

up
216 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Plans can back fire

Renee_Heart2's picture

I hope this plan with Moralis works out. It's a DANGEROUS gamble.

As for Genny she made her statement & in 2 weeks may get to start hormones (lucky her)

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Overconfidence?

Engaging Morales in conversation may make sense, but conversation about the truck driver? Ginny may look as attractive as Ellen thinks she does, but she can't help resembling Gene, and being Ellen's cousin doesn't preclude Ginny also being related to him.

Eric

I like the suspense but I am concerned...

waif's picture

...about Ginny getting them both in over their heads.

With Bronwen's brief hiatus, this story is making it difficult for me to wait between chapters.

good story

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Mice and men

Jamie Lee's picture

Plans are good on paper, but have a way of going down the tube once they're implemented.

Or the girls are in for an unexpected surprise.

Others have feelings too.