Cynthia and the Dropped Ball, Chapter 2 of 7

Printer-friendly version
Cynthia and the Dropped Ball, Chapter 2 of 7

By Portia Bennett

Introduction: We have met Tommie who seems to be a very well-adjusted young boy going to be a girl. She has a great support group behind her as she starts her transition. Cindy realizes very quickly who Tommie is, and her full name, sister’s name, and picture confirms her suspicions. The Wizard seems to be a bit Laissez-faire about the whole thing, and that perplexes Cindy.

This story is another addition to The Cynthia Chronicles. Cynthia (Cindy) Brewer has graduated from medical school, and is well into her residency. The Wizard has difficulty remembering exactly where she is in her studies. Randi Lewis at age 18 is starting work on her Master of Science in Chemistry (read Randi and the Professor), and Charli Brewer will soon be a freshman in pre-med at UConn. Bobbie Anderson is setting the golf world on fire having now won tournaments on the PGA in addition to her many victories on the LPGA. This story takes place a year before Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling. If you are not familiar with the stories that make up the Cynthia Chronicles, you might want to go back to the beginning with An Incremental Journey. There are references to Cynthia and the Reluctant Girlfriend and Charli and the Girl Cave. If you don’t remember what happened in those stories, you might want to go back and read them again. This story also takes place just a few months before Cynthia and the Queen of the Knight.


 

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Cynthia and the Dropped Ball

 

Chapter 2

“Would you like a sweet roll?” Cindy asked as Tommie sat in the place The Wizard had occupied a few seconds before.

“No thank you, my aunt and I had breakfast at IHOP early this morning. We’re staying at a hotel, but they weren’t ready that early. Besides, their food isn’t that good, anyway. I would like some hot chocolate though if you’re buying. I would have thought you would have known that. I know you can read my mind.”

“I’d be glad to get some chocolate for you,” Cindy said as she stepped away from the table. “How’d you know I could read your mind?”

“You and His wisdom made the same mistake. You called me by my name. I didn’t tell you my name, and no one else told you.”

“I’ll be right back. Would you like some marshmallows in the chocolate?”

“Thank you.”

“Okay,” Cindy said as she set the cup of hot chocolate in front of Tommie, “we need to talk. I will not deny anything you said. I would appreciate it if you would keep it under your hat for a while. As far as reading your mind goes, your name is right on top. I don’t pry in people’s minds unless I’m invited or if there are serious circumstances involved.”

“Is that something to do with that hypocritical oath?” Tommie asked.

“That’s Hippocratic Oath,” Cindy chuckled. “Yes it does; however, when you are like His Wisdom, some of my friends and family are and I am, it does allow us to do quite a bit more. Yes, we do have rules and restraints, at least most of us do.”

“I suppose you know that other ‘thing’,” Tommie stated rather firmly.

“Yes I do; however, I almost missed it, because you seemed so positive. There didn’t seem to be any conflict. I am able to sense it when there’s a conflict between sex and gender. I’ve been able to do that for nearly 20 years, and it doesn’t entail mind reading. It’s something that radiates from within. Most of my friends can do it; some better than others.

“Okay, I promise not to read your mind unless you want me to. I do have a question, though. Why are you so at ease with the problem you’ve been dealt?”

“Because my family’s so great. Mom suspected something for quite a while. I like to do boy things, but I also like to do girl things. I’d play dress up with my older sister. We’d do the clothes and makeup thing, still do. She’d do my makeup and I’d do hers.

“Mom asked me one day if I wanted to be a girl. I had no trouble with the answer. I told her I was a girl. She just hugged me and cried and told me that she loved me and my sister so much. Mom can’t have children. We’re adopted. I’ve been to a doctor and a counsellor, and they put me on blockers. Things have been going very well. I started low dose estrogen last month. I can’t tell much yet, but I’m hoping we started all this stuff soon enough.”

“Do you know anything about your background, anything about your parents?”

“I know I’m Italian. That was one of the reasons our parents adopted us. From what we’ve, Elaine and I, been able to find out, our parents won’t tell us much, our natural parents were murdered when I was only a few months old and my sister was about four. We were sent to an orphanage in western Connecticut, and were adopted only a couple of months later. We live near New Bedford. Mom and Dad and my aunt and uncle operate a hotel and sport fishing business. My boy crazy sister is in high school. Dad’s watching over her. My Aunt’s staying here until Mom and Dad get better. My uncle will drive up here tomorrow with my sister, and then we’ll go back home.

“My sister’s real pretty. I’d like to look like she does when I get her age.”

“I don’t think you will have to worry about a thing.”

“The Wizard saved Dad, didn’t he? He took a blood clot out of his brain. I saw it.”

“You weren’t supposed to remember that.”

“I don’t think I was, but I do. They know you were there and that you got them to fix Mom’s morphine pump. None of them remember Dr. Bettencourt. His little disappearing act down here didn’t do much to change any opinions I might have had earlier. I would guess he’s not worried about me. Why would that be?”

“His Wisdom loves to keep us guessing. It’s all part of our training. He’s probably over a thousand years old.

“May I ask, how do you know about him, and the fact I’m a witch? You don’t seem to be too disturbed by all this.”

“I’ve read about The Wizard on some of those sites. Some of the stories are bull shit.”

“Tommie!”

“Well, they are. Some of them are written by people who don’t have a clue; however, some of them are real nice. The authors aren’t all hung up on sex and boobs; not that I wouldn’t mind having a pretty pair.

“Then, there’s this other thing. As The Wizard said in one of the stories, there are few accidents. Your being here and his being here is no accident. There’s a reason for this. I’m hoping I know what it is; but, just meeting him is quite an honor.”

“So, you would like him to finish the process.”

“Certainly, and I think that might happen. From what I’ve read, he would never let me come this far without fixing things. I’m going to make that assumption; however, there has to be a lot more to this than I have any idea about.”

“Tommie, I think you’re probably right. I don’t understand why he does things this way, sometimes. Many times, I have no more idea of what he has in mind than we do right now. There are powers above him that control many things. He would like people to believe he is a lone wolf, but that is far from the case. Let’s just let this thing play out.

“You need to get back to your family. I’ll keep track of things from this end. Think your email and phone number for me and I will remember them. We’ll keep in touch.

“I do have two questions.”

“Sure.”

“What is your full name?”

“Tommaso Antonio Donizetti DiMaggio. Why?”

“Just curious.”

“What was your other question?”

“Do you have a picture of your sister?”

“Yes, she wants me to show it to good looking boys who are older than she is. I don’t know how she thinks I’m going to meet them, but I carry it for her. Here it is.” She said handing her phone to Cindy. “Would you like me to send a copy to you?”

“Sure.” It was a simple matter to send the image to Cindy’s phone.

“I think you’d better get back to your family. We’ll keep in touch. I need to get some sleep. I’ve been up since yesterday morning.”

Tommie gave Cindy a hug and kiss before skipping off to her parents’ hospital room.

Cindy stared at the image of Elaine Floria Donizetti DiMaggio. She shook her head. “Well, Your Wisdom, you’ve had to have known about this from the beginning. What in the hell am I going to do?”

“The ball’s in your court, Cindy.”

=============================================================================

Cindy is very sure about who Tommie is, and the picture of her sister confirms it. Cindy agrees that since The Wizard is certainly in the know about things that eventually Tommie will have what she’s always wanted. However, why the delay and The Wizard’s seeming indifference.

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmmm, I wonder also what the

Hmmmm, I wonder also what the Wizard is thinking also, as he generally does what he does very early on with the person he is interested in helping or otherwise.

The Wizard

littlerocksilver's picture

... is up to his usual tricks. Much happens in this story that is never seen.

Portia