Anchored - Part 1 "There's a storm coming"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
One

 

"There's A Storm Coming"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 
 
Saturday 29th August 2015

For the second time in eight days Tammy was having her hair and make-up done, but this time is was for her parents' wedding, namely that of her father and her step-mother to be. The wedding wasn't until three so there was plenty of time but that had still meant they had to be up at seven.

It was all so very different to Heather and Sophie's wedding, which seemed to flow effortlessly - until interrupted by an oaf of a copper, now an ex copper. She blushed when she remembered what had happened later that day.

Tammy was the last into Sandy Smith's chair, a borrowed one, as she'd been helping Pru with the last minute organising. This time there were problems about problems about disasters, nothing was going right. Tammy had been tasked with doing battle on the phone, to various head offices or senior managers wherever they may be. As it was the weekend, that made life a little more difficult, but not impossible.

The caterers had enough cutlery and crockery for eighty guests, which they claimed was the contracted number. Even Tammy's untrained eye she could see the correction fluid alteration from the original number of 110 guests, but the supervisor was standing by what she'd been given when she was called over to Dunbankin' just before midday.

Tammy's phone conversation with the firm's owner solicited that they were double, no triple booked that day and had insufficient to go around, he'd tried to lie his way out of trouble first. His next ploy was just plainly xenophobic.

"I understand that many of the guests are Sassenachs, you really don't expect them to turn up do you?"

"As I'm English I think you should consider your position carefully."

A little background check had revealed that the financial state of the company was precarious.

"Now, Mr Burgess, a contract is a contract."

"That depends, Miss Smart."

"Does it indeed? I'd like to see you use that excuse in front of the Sheriff when we reach court."

"Court? It's only a minor problem."

"If you think that ruining my parents' wedding day is a minor problem then I suggest you are very much mistaken. What you are going to do is locate any missing items and get them up here by 2pm."

"I'm in Inverness, how would I do that?"

"I can give you the number of a reliable helicopter company. Your deadline is 2pm, my solicitor is a wedding guest by the way."

Tammy was aware that the company was barely solvent but she also knew shutting the firm down for breach of contract was a little heavy handed. The firm no doubt had bookings for other weddings and functions but was being mismanaged, if Tammy went for the jugular then lots of others would have their days ruined, there had to be a better way.

She updated Pru and asked her to do some digging on Monday, once everything had calmed down. The senior caterer was now outside the back door of Dunbankin'on her mobile, telling the manager he'd dropped her in it for the last time. She was now in tears, Tammy reached out to her.

"Has he done this before?"

"Yes."

"Do you work for him directly or are you paid like the table staff?"

"I worked for him, he's my step-dad."

"Can you cook?"

"Yes, but we're not doing the kitchen stuff on this job, there's a separate firm using Mrs McPhersons kitchens."

"Okay, so are you a qualified cook?"

"Three years at catering college and I have every certificate the lousy government says I should have, including advanced first aid."

"How would you like to work for me, as our cook and housekeeper?"

"I couldn't get here from Inverness."

"There's an apartment available."

"When does the job start?"

"As soon as you are cleared."

"Cleared?"

"We are a banking family and take security seriously, it's just a few background checks to make sure you're not going to rob us!"

"Where do I sign?"

"See Pru and she'll handle the paperwork. Now, where locally can you buy the extra?"

"Locally? My step-dad said he'd bring them."

"That was before you resigned?"

"Oh. There's a Cash & Carry on the way out of town, but I don't have any money."

"Pru can give you what you need, but she'll ask for blood!"

"Okay, I'm Zara by the way."

"Tammy, welcome aboard."

Thankfully Tammy had found time to visit the salon the previous day, which enabled Joanne to make an inspection of the new equipment, although Tammy was uncertain if a Brazilian was really wise. In the end it was her legs, arms and brows that received the attention.

"Next time, young lady, next time."

"Yes, Joanne."

"And no more jumping onto operating tables when you go on holiday!"

"I'l try to remember."

"Anyway, I would challenge anyone to say you weren't a double X."

"Thanks."

As the clock shuffled towards two o'clock on wedding day, Jo was applying Tammy's make-up.

"You're the last one, the other bridesmaids have already gone over."

She could hear a helicopter approaching, the fourth or fifth inbound flight of the day, starting at seven that morning. A chartered aircraft was operating as a shuttle between Glasgow and Wick for any of the guests travelling up, that offset the logistical problems of holding a wedding at almost the most northerly point on the UK mainland.

She giggled, she'd been in Redruth for the past month and that was only twenty or so miles from the extreme South West of the UK mainland, extremes indeed.

There was a knock on the door, Jo opened the door to Michael, "I've been asked to drive you across", one of the golf buggies was waiting for them for the ride over. They swung around to the front door of the house as there were two large marquees on the lawns behind the conservatory. Tammy could see that plenty of folk were already there but it would not be right for them to see her, yet. Another chopper came into land, right by the stables, she ran inside before her hairdo was destroyed.

Tammy was shepherded upstairs, the bridesmaids were to wait in the Rose Room until needed,
so that meant Tammy was joining the Small sisters, Angela and Suzie. This room had significance as it had been Tammy's room from November the previous year until the start of 2015.

Debbie, Tanya's sister, came in. She was checking that the journey from Dunbankin' hadn't upset Tammy's hair or make-up. Tammy hadn't but Angela had been spending so much time preening in front of the long mirror that she'd poked herself in the eye; that required a repair job and a telling off.

Suzie, meanwhile, was taking this in her stride. Over the past few days she'd spent a long time with her mother, as well as Angela, making up for the time they were separated. Suzie had refused to relocate to Thurso and had made it clear she wanted nothing to do with her father. Now he wasn't here there was no reason to keep away, apart from time, distance and money.

It was getting closer to three and a few voices could still be heard downstairs. For privacy, the room's curtains had been drawn so they couldn't see what was going on outside. Joan and Richard were in separate rooms further along the landing but all the girls could do was wait. Debbie had left to check on others.

"Come on, you two, you've done this before."

Tammy and Suzie had been bridesmaids at Heather and Sophie's wedding a week earlier but their duties had been limited.

"All weddings are different, Angela, I can barely remember my first one. Suzie?"

"I was asked by one of my friends from uni, we got so drunk the night before that I can't remember a thing either."

"That's not helping."

"Well, what were you told?"

"We follow Mum and Dad to the first marquee outside then sit while they go through the service. We're supposed to smile alot as well."

"See, you understand the job."

"There must be more to it?"

"There is always the emergency role." Suzie was starting to have fun.

"What emergency?"

"Well, if Mum backed out at the last minute then Dad could choose one of the bridesmaids instead. Not Tammy, obviously, so it would be me or you."

Angela took a second to process this and was about to say something regrettable when there was a knock on the door. Tammy opened it to Michael, who was acting as MC at the time.

"They're ready, please come with me."

Mum and Dad were waiting for the girls at the top of the stairs, it was now quiet as the hall below had been cleared. The entourage soon started. Joan looked stunning in her ivory dress whilst Richard was in a white suit, Tammy doubted if he would be drinking red wine later.

At the bottom of the stairs the group turned left and headed to the lounge and conservatory. The house staff were waiting here and applauded as the wedding party passed by. In the conservatory was a surprise, or two.

"Elsie, Helen, when did you get back?" Both Richard and Joan were unaware, Elsie and Helen were supposedly on a cruise ship near Hawaii or Honolulu.

"I could hardly let you use my house for a wedding and not be here as a guest myself? We arrived here at seven and spent most of the intervening time asleep; you never get used to jet lag. Now, get moving."

A female quartet, wearing long black dresses, played as the wedding party approached Rev. Franklin. Tammy tried to identify the tune, it certainly wasn't Vivaldi or Mozart. A smile adorned her face when she realised it was the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction" being given the classical treatment and slowed down.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here this afternoon to join this man and this woman in matrimony."

Neither Richard nor Joan had wanted a religious service but the school's Anglican Chaplain had almost begged to be asked to perform the ritual. "It's not often a chaplain at a boys' school has the opportunity to conduct a marriage," he had said.

The compromise was for the bare-bones service, dressed with music and a reading. Tammy had the first reading, reprising a text by Ghandi she had delivered during school assembly a few months earlier. The text spoke of tolerance and had particular significance for some of those present.

From the dais, Tammy could see many of the congregation and spotted her former Headmaster beaming. She tried to concentrate on the words rather than be distracted and ruin the day.

A guitarist now came forward, wearing the same black frock as the quartet. Tammy didn't see who it was until she'd returned to her place.

Jeri was holding an acoustic guitar and started to play "This Time" by Richard Ashcroft:

Lookin' back on my life
You know that all I see
Are things I could've changed
I should have done
Where did the good times go?
Good times so hard to hold
This time, this time
This time I'm gonna find
 
Lookin' back on my life
You know that all I see
Are things I could've changed
I could have done
No time for sad lament
A wasted life is bitter spent
 
So rise into the light
In or out of time
Gonna rise straight through the light
In or out of time
 
Woke up one other day
The pain won't go away
I am growing
In peculiar ways
Into a light I pass
Another dream, another trance
This time, this time
This time I'm gonna rise into the light
In or out of time
 
Gonna find my way in life
In or out of sight
I'm still seeing things in black and white
Gonna rise straight into the light
In or out of sight
 
I'm gonna see the light
I'm gonna see the light
I'm gonna see the light
 
'Cause I know there is time
There is time
There is time
There is time
There is time
There is time
There is time
There is time
This time, this time
This time, this time
This time, this time
This time, this time
 

There were tears in many eyes, as well as applause for Jeri. She parked the guitar on a stand and curtseyed before taking a seat next to the quartet.

The Chaplain read from the bible and made the standard plea.

"If any person here can show cause why these two people should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Although there was the usual turning of heads, Tammy knew that any challenge was very unlikely. Due to the circumstances of several of the guests there was a Police presence on the main road and the game keepers were patrolling with shotguns slung over their arms. The dogs weren't out but were nearby; the estate was in lockdown. Anyone who was expecting Richard's ex, Tara Simpson, to make an appearance was to be disappointed as she'd made it as far as Manchester and was believed to still be there.

"We are all here today to witness the joining in wedded bliss of Richard and Joan. This joyous day celebrates the commitment and love with which Richard and Joan start their lives together. Through God, you are joined together in the most holy of bonds. Who gives this woman in holy matrimony to this man?"

Steven McIntosh had accepted this role and made his presence known.

"Do you, Richard take Joan to be your lawfully wedded wife and live together forever in the estate of holy matrimony? Do you love, comfort, honour and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Do you, Joan take Richard to be your lawfully wedded husband and live together forever in the estate of holy matrimony? Do you love, comfort, honour and keep him, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

The rings were exchanged, by agreement these were simple gold bands without any large stones. The gold, however, was pure 24 Karat. Both seemed to enjoy the official kiss.

There was the small matter of the register, so the quartet, plus Jeri, played a selection of Lennon and McCartney numbers acoustically while the paperwork and associated photos were dealt with.

Finally they moved into they gardens for more photos. Unlike Heather and Sophie's wedding her parents had employed a professional photographer. Tammy would have a chance of her own a little later when she could retrieve her camera from inside the house.

By five all three bridesmaids were getting tired of the photographer's constant directions, Tammy needed a wee so she started to walk away.

"Oi, you, bridesmaid, get your pretty rear back here."

Tammy kept going, had the surgeon done something to her bladder during her surgery? Behind her the photographer shouted an obscenity. By the time Tammy returned, refreshed, the obnoxious man had gone.

"Sorry Tammy, I've called a halt to the photos as I think he was taking the pee."

"Thanks Dad, I needed one but I'm now hungry as I didn't get any lunch so can we eat?"

"The caterers are sorting that at the moment. What's this about Zara?"

"Her step dad was responsible for a major problem. Zara resigned because it wasn't the first time she's been dropped in it, I asked her to sort it now and to apply for the housekeeper position as she's a trained cook."

"Pru said much the same, I'll interview the girl next week once the basic checks have been done. Let's mingle while the foods being prepared."

The three bridesmaids now had to welcome all the guests on behalf of their parents. By common consent, Joan, Angela and Suzie had taken the Smart name, severing that connection to the late George Small.

Tammy hadn't got far around the main marquee, where the bar was, before a gong sounded for the meal. Tammy's place was on the top table and as she headed in that direction she saw Lori. She waved, Tammy really wanted to talk to her but there was no time.

The quartet was playing as everyone took their seats, and were now playing a selection of classical numbers. Jeri had parked her guitar on a stand and parked her rear on a seat next to Heather; that was a surprise, Sophie was in the next seat.

The meal was lovely and the waiting staff were very good, there were plenty of compliments. While they'd been eating the main marquee had been transformed into a nightclub. Canned music was playing and the quartet took a break. A small stage had been setup and a few instruments were sat ready.

Tammy started circulating again and swerved enquiries about her summer holiday, eventualy she came across Helen.

"When did you leave the ship?"

"Thursday morning, in whatever timezone it was. The flights were awful."

"Where?"

"Honolulu into LAX, a direct flight from there to Heathrow arriving Friday afternoon. We got a late one into Glasgow and stayed near the airport before catching the first shuttle this morning. I was too tired to enjoy the helicopter flight."

"Are you finished with the cruise?"

"No, we're rejoining it in Singapore in a few days time."

"Both of you?"

"Yes. I understand you had some surgery?"

"Maybe, but I'm not going to discuss it here."

"Okay, swim tomorrow? Your place?"

"Sure."

Helen seemed to have changed, was this the 'Elsie effect' or was she simply growing up? Tanya intercepted Helen and the two girls disappeared into the throng. John wasn't far away but he had barely said a word to Tammy since she returned to Thurso on Tuesday. Tammy guessed that their relationship had changed but, but, why?

She needed another wee so headed for the house and decided to use the ensuite in the Rose Room. Suzie had seen where she was going so tagged along.

"Any proposals so far, Tammy?"

"No, thankfully. You?"

"One or two, but they were over 50 and their wives weren't impressed."

Tammy giggled and there seemed to be an echo. She pushed the door of the bedroom open and found Angela with Yusuf. Angela's dress was on the floor and Yusuf seemed to want to get undressed rather quickly. Suzie shrieked, Tammy started laughing. Yusuf grabbed his clothes and dashed into the bathroom.

up
424 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

an EVENTful day indeed!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

An EVENTful day indeed! lousy catering manager but a top flight chef. Helen turned a corner or its still so much jet-lag she isn't so rambunctious. Elsie seems to be in finer spirits. Looks like Tara was headed off at the pass. However Angela seems to be in a spot, being caught with Yusuf's pants down. Oh dear!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Not lousy

WillowD's picture

As far as I can tell, Zena did an excellent job as a catering manager. She was sabotaged by father, who doctored the contract on how many guests were coming. Outside of needing to purchase extra cutlery locally she did fine. I was surprised that Tammy didn't simply get the cutlery from Elsie's house. I would expect Elsie's to be equipped to handling dinner gatherings of 50 or more.

Well this is shaping up to be another roller coaster ride

Nice chapter. Like how Helen is reacting. Wonder what's up with John. Tammy is her usual self. Still curious about the blood tests she had done after the surgery. Did they find anything unusual or just checking to make sure.

Yusuf

shiraz's picture

Yusuf is an 18/19yo who volunteers at Thurso library and is in the same theatre group as Tammy/Angela etc

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Thank you Shiraz,

It looks as though Angela was preparing to do a little "road testing" perhaps :) I don't think Tammy will be judgemental !!!

ALISON

The Rose Room

joannebarbarella's picture

Seems to be an appropriate place to be caught in delicto flagrante (or should that be flagrante delicto?), although it appears that Yusuf didn't quite make it.

I thought it was funny.

I think we have established Angela is into boys! Not the best judgment perhaps, but then, they are young. Wonder if it will become serious?

naughty streak

At last, Angela is getting on with things. Yusuf obviously is not quite so "behind the door" as we might have thought, giggle

Open door surprise

Jamie Lee's picture

How to retain employees is not to dump them into ever constant piles of bull pies. Once in a while things do fall into the porcelain thrown, and should be planned for. But when things live in the thrown, and employees are blamed for it, then they start looking for other positions. Zara was fortunate to have had the last straw at a home which contained people who were looking for good help. Zara is about to become a very happy camper working for the Smarts.

Does Tammy bring these little oops with her or does it just seem that way? Who would have thought Yusuf had it in him, the desire that is, to become an experienced rider? And who would have thought Angela was wanting to become an experienced woman? Together? And why is Suzie always shocked when she walks in on the activity? Are her knuckles out of order? Likely they'll have a good old fashion sister to sister talk, with Suzie doing the yelling.

Had Tara planned to come to Thurso or had someone suggest a short rest was in order before continuing her trip?

Others have feelings too.

Wonder Woman Strikes Again!

This time, using her banking and organisational knowledge to ensure the catering's a success by both dealing with the company itself then (provisionally) hiring a new cook (who may be able to help organise future catering events for the family). Zara may also be able to provide some personal insight into problems at her step - dad's company, to help Tammy nudge it into new management.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!