Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2898

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2898
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I worked like a Trojan for the next hour and a bit, then exhausted, I bid goodnight to Diane and left for home. I’d stayed in my cycling clothes, the Team GB replica kit. Getting back on the bike I began to wonder if everyone would be better off without me. I could make it look like an accident, ride into a pothole and fall under some truck or bus. They’d be sad for a few weeks I expect but with me out of the way they’d all have to pull together and help each other.

At traffic lights, I felt rather than saw another cyclist pull alongside me. “Running away again, are you?” said a familiar voice.

“Billie?”

“I used to be proud of you, Mummy, but you’re just like all the others.”

“What d’you mean?”

“You know what I mean and if you do it, I’ll make sure you never ever see me again.”

“And if I don’t?”

“I’ll continue to come to see you as long as I’m able to.”

“Why can I never see you?”

“Your mind is closed to me.”

“No it isn’t, darling.”

“If it wasn’t you’d see me.”

“Well teach me to see you, help me learn to open my mind to you.”

“I don’t know if I can, Mummy.”

“You must, sweetheart, please.” Tears were flooding down my face.

“You okay, love?” asked a policeman who walked up to me. The lights had changed twice and I hadn’t moved and I was clearly talking to myself—obviously some escaped nutter having a breakdown or something similar. Probably I’d turn into some sort of monster and run amok killing and maiming—no one. Well possibly myself. It’s a well known fact that most people who are having a crisis are more danger to themselves than to anyone else.

“I’m okay,” I said and pedalled off as the lights turned green almost into the path of a large truck. I sniggered when I realised it was carrying food for Marks and Spencer, it struck me as ironic that a company that prides itself on ecologically balanced sourcing could have one of its trucks kill a professor of ecology.

Somehow I got home, though left my laptop in work, so couldn’t work at home that evening. I was mobbed by a throng of children, it seemed they knew I was very upset and once greeted, I went upstairs to change and shower—not necessarily in that order.

While I was in the shower Trish peeled off her clothes and came in too. I hadn’t seen her naked for a long time—she was becoming a young woman with pert breasts and widening hips.

“What’s the matter, Mummy?”

“Nothing why?”

“I’m not a six year old, I could see you’d been crying, why?”

“No, it was just the cold wind. Always makes my eyes water.”

“Billie said you’d been crying.”

“How would she know, she’s gone.”

“She said she may be dead but she doesn’t tell lies.”

“I can’t see her, so I’ve only your word for it that you can see her.”

“She said you would be able to see her if you opened your mind to her.”

“Sorry, darling, but I’ve got more important things to think about than that.”

That was your daughter.” She flounced out of the shower and stark naked and water still running off her little body, stormed out of my bathroom and slammed the door behind her.

“Happy now?” said the voice in my head again.

“Show yourself,” I demanded.

“Make me,” taunted the voice.

“You’re not my daughter.”

“Prove it.”

“I damn well will.”

I threw some energy at the voice and it laughed at me. Then, feeling sneaky, I sealed the door and window with a flaming pentagram. Then I filled the bathroom with a brilliant white light and there was loud shriek and whatever it was disappeared.

“Are you all right, Mummy?” asked Danielle dashing into the bathroom as I pulled a towel around me.

“Yes I’m fine thank you, where’s Trish?”

“In her room I expect.”

I trotted into the girls’ bedroom, Trish was crying bitterly on the bed “She killed Billie,” she screeched pointing at me.

“What?” replied Danielle, “How can you kill someone who’s already dead?”

“I dunno, but she did, I saw it.”

“You can’t have done.”

“I just saw it happen.”

“Then how come she’s stood by the side of you shaking her head.” Seemed like Danielle could see her better than Trish.

Between them they convinced me they could see her and converse with her, so much so that they heard her moan at me to open my eyes. As they were both wide open at the time, it went straight over my head.

“Open your mind, Mummy.” I heard Billie’s voice fading away as she said this over and over again.

“You can see her as well?” said Trish to her older sister.

“You know damn well I can.”

“So how come she appears to me then?”

“Is it her?”

“Course it is, who else could it be?”

“I think what rather than who is the more apposite question,” I said realising that neither of them would understand what I was saying.

“What?” they both said in unison.

“You accused me of killing Billie.”

“I saw her burn in the white light.”

“Do you honestly think, Trish Cameron, that she would do that—burst into flames?”

“Why not? You’re a very capable magician."

“It wasn’t her, it was something else.”

“Like what?”

“An elemental,” I wasn’t sure where the message came from but that’s what it told me.

“What’s that, Mummy?” asked Danni.

“It’s a low form of entity but they like to play tricks a bit like naughty children.”

“I didn’t think you believed in that sort of thing.”

“I don’t,” nor could I say why the voice that spoke was mine.

“So this thing you don’t believe in...”

“Yes, it must be a trick of the light...”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
234 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hope She Gets This Under Control

littlerocksilver's picture

Cathy is obviously depressed, and something is playing on that. There have to be two or more elements involved. One is trying to destroy Cathy, for what ever reason. There will be a battle.

Portia

In fact I'm a bit of a bore -

I don't 'THINK' I've ever experienced anything supernatural. Got frightened of the dark once and felt a spooky feeling because I was alone outside a cave late one evening. The entrance to the cave just somehow looked sinister and it just felt eerie looking into the stygian depths of the cave. I put it down to my own primordial primate instincts and left the area quickly. That's the nearest I've ever come to a 'supernatural experience'.
These 'contacts' with the dead are fascinating stories. I don't discredit them or dispute them cos' there's a lot 'out there' that we don't understand. It's just that I never ever seem to experience any stuff like that - just like I don't seem to recall my dreams.
Still lovin' Bike. Thanks Ang.

bev_1.jpg

If it keeps on like this she

If it keeps on like this she will be staying at the Stella Cameron Wing.
What, elementals? what next Ang, poltergeists?

Karen

Elementals

Angharad's picture

are entities associated with elements eg water or earth etc. They've been called nymphs or sprites in some mythologies. In occultist terms they're fairly simple energies, caused by such things as moving water and some people have the ability to see them. I've experienced water elementals while staying at a hotel in France that was originally a water powered saw mill.

Angharad

Poltergeists

As a scientist, I'm amazed at Cathy's open mind with these 'spirits'.
I've played hide and seek with poltergeists on more than one occasion, I would like to experiance an elemental for a change, they sound friendlier.

Karen

I've had experiences I couldn't explain

I am a skeptic, but I also have an open mind on the subject. Cathy, on the other hand, has had more proof than anyone should need, and yet is pathological about it. I wish she could open herself up.

As for believing, Come on people! It is a story!

For Me Personally

I'll just throw down right here (American slang for ready to fight). Bluntly, if I did not believe in an organizing influence, I'd have killed myself well before now, and anyone who wants to criticise that can bugger off. Perhaps what I experience isn't for anyone else but for me it works fine. And, I don't particularly care to try to convince anyone else of it.

There is a very close friend of mine dying right now and if it were not for what I experience I would not have the strength to deal with it. Yes, I know that some of the rest of you make it through life completely independent of any of that and bully to you. I'm one of the weaklings and without help could not get along.

It cannot be

easy for someone like Cathy with her scientists mind to accept that maybe just maybe there is something out there that defies any logical explanation , Perhaps its time she started to open her mind , The alternative is not seeing her beloved Billie , Does she really want to risk that ?

Kirri