Tammy's Summer Diary - Part 8 "Results Day"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Summer Diary - A Tamara's Tale Interlude

 

Thursday 13th August

I was interrupted at eight during my morning medical procedure, mum was on the line. Despite my plans, she'd taken my A Level results and was reading it. I was upset, no, incandescent. I wanted to read it for myself, not be told how good, bad, indifferent the results were.

She got as far as telling me about the English Language result and I hung up. At that time dilation was probably the preferable option to arguing.

She rang again and I turned my phone off. She had no right.

I gave up with my personal ministrations and headed for the shower. I probably spent a little too long under the water, but at least no-one can phone you in there, can they? Jo came looking for me, Pru had called and apologised, she'd gone straight to the school to be told she couldn't have my results slip, at least she'd tried.

I truly felt awful, results day is a knife edge balance of wishes and dread; aspirations and trepidations. I knew I'd done okay in the exams but that doesn't always translate to a particular grade.

After I dressed, sloppily in a T and shorts, I called Janet at the school and asked what had happened, apparently mum was asked to help sift the result slips the previous afternoon and put mine, Angela's and Helen's to one side. I was violated and I told Janet that. I knew there was a school copy of the results so I asked her to email mine to me, even though the exam board doesn't like that being done.

She hesitated and went to speak to someone, my guess was that it was Dr McIntosh, then told me she'd see what she could do.

My email pinged two long minutes later.

Exams Results slip

What happened in maths? I know it wasn't my strongest subject but I was pretty sure I'd done enough for an A. I didn't need an A for my degree course but that wasn't the point.

There was another email, from John. He had a questionable maths result but A or A* otherwise. That didn't feel right. I replied to him and forwarded my slip. There was no news from Angela but she would have been working at the crèche, John must have gone into school before he went to work. I emailed him again and asked about Tanya.

He said she was down at Thurso High waiting for their result slips to be handed out, so no news yet. I wanted to know about Helen but that would have meant calling mum, something I really didn't want to do yet.

I felt really sorry for Lori, she had been attacked before she could complete the exams for any of her subjects. The closest I knew she might get was English Literature, but she'd missed the third paper by being in hospital.

Jeri had been forced into taking the English Language A Level a year early so would have that result today but, regardless of how she did, she could have a second crack at it in a year's time. She was currently at a Dead Sea resort so would have to wait until she was back.

As I made my way out of my room, Heather put her head out of the office and asked me to call my father. I switched my phone back and and went in search of intravenous caffeine. I know what Dr Adi said but this was justifiable on medical grounds - I would kill anyone who didn't let me get my coffee today.

My phone finally announced it had finished booting up so I called Dad after ignoring the fifteen or so missed calls. He was a bit off with me, to say the least, Mum had been trying to help, he said. We had a blazing row and I hung up, I needed a hug and I wasn't going to get it from my family right now.

It was just gone nine so I dashed back to my room and grabbed a decent sized bag, sun cream and a hand towel. I stripped off and put a bikini on, stuffing my knickers, bra, shorts and top into the bag. Over my swimwear went a sun dress. I left my work mobile by my bed and took Beccy's phone with me, I needed a few other bits but I'd decided to get them on route. On a whim I picked up a tube of lube and a couple of condoms.

I was out the door a minute later, before anyone could argue the point. First stop was the newsagent for a bottle of water and the daily paper. Next I went down to Redruth station for an Eastbound train. I had a little wait for my train but it was, remarkably, on time. I took a seat for the ride to Par, including two stops on the way. I had a windows seat so I simply enjoyed the unspoilt countryside, scribbling in my diary as I travelled.

At Par I had to wait for my connection so I found a bench.

Today was the culmination of my school life, not just the result of a two year A Level course but a reflection on everything I'd done at St Andrews. I had chosen to go onto university but that wasn't mandatory, I could have gone into the job market and secured a reasonable career. However I proceeded after this day was my choice, my decision.

Having the day hijacked was not how I'd imagined it. I sat there and sobbed.

I was ignored for the most part, although a number of people were waiting for the same connection. I finally fished in my bag for a tissue and dried my eyes, fully expecting a smear of mascara, but I hadn't put any make-up on before going out, I was in such a rush.

As soon as I boarded the train I took the warpaint out of my bag and did my best to hide my inner self. With the distraction of a eye liner pencil, it wasn't long before we reached my destination. Just before I left my seat I took a self portrait of my art.

My phone had GPS so I told it to find me a beach.

North Fistral was very busy, although all of Newquay was a fast moving flow of bodies, I kept my bag close. I managed to pick up a wide brimmed straw hat and some huge sunglasses that would hide my blotchy eyes before I reached the surf capital of Europe. It was an impressive sight from above and just plainly manic when I reached the sand. I had flats on this time and fared better than on Tuesday evening.

I knew from Facebook that Sue was here, somewhere, so her boyfriend Pete wouldn't be far, that meant Daniel should also be around, even if they were out of the competition. I still had my entry card from the party night and it was valid for all the competition sessions so I went in search of a gate into the private area.

I didn't have a problem there and soon found myself in the queue for the ladies. Just as I reached the front of the queue, Viv came out and walked past me. With my hat and glasses she didn't recognise me, but I wondered who she was with?

I decided the easiest way to find someone at these events was to sit in the bar area and wait for them to come to you. I settled for a long non-alcoholic cocktail but used my debit card as I was running low on cash. I found a table and went to put my card back in my purse. My phone, which I'd left on the table, had gone.

I looked around but it was impossible to tell who might have got it, and I hadn't paid attention to my surroundings. I burst into tears again, I have no idea how long passed.

When I dried my eyes this time, the tissue was streaked in black. I looked up and a middle age man was stood there, asking if I was Beccy Adams. I asked who he was and he produced a Police warrant in the name of DC Garston. I nodded and asked if he'd found my phone? He said, no, but I'd been traced to the bar after being reported missing.

Missing? My day was going further downhill by the minute.

He suggested we went up to his car, I followed warily.

As we walked he said that Miss Young had called and reported me missing about two hours earlier. I had apparently gone off without my medication? I asked for another look at his warrant and he obliged so I asked him if he knew Heather, he described her perfectly and gave me the address of the cottage. I was satisfied he was who he claimed to be so asked what he was going to do?

He said he could offer me a ride back to Redruth or I could stay here, in either case he'd report back that he'd seen me. I told him the medication thing was just a ruse to get them to look for me, he nodded and said it was just in case the Inspector checked the call logs. I smiled, probably for the first time today, and said I'd met the guy. I asked if anyone else was going for the job, he said he'd heard a few names but it wasn't fair to say who.

Just then I saw Daniel some distance away and I wondered if my day was improving. Running up behind were Sue and Pete, I almost waved until I saw Viv behind them. I immediately asked DC Garston to take me home, my day had hit rock bottom.

Before I stepped out of his car I gave him my mobile number and asked he record it stolen. He said the system didn't work that way, but he'd see what he could do. That earned him a kiss.

Heather sent me to have a shower, I hadn't put any sunscreen on and needed cooling down. I also had sand on my feet and in my bikini? How?

I'd missed lunch and I know she was pissed with me but it seems Heather had made some enquiries and obtained preliminary apologies from half of Thurso. She sat me down in the office and called home, handing the phone to me.

First up was mum, she'd just assumed I'd want her to handle the results the same way that Angela had asked. I told her I had made arrangements, perfectly good arrangements, that would have got my results to me securely. I had not wanted to ask the school to break the rules by emailing it to me, I also made a point of not asking about Angela or Helen.

Next was Dad, the school's assessment of the results had shown there was a problem with Maths. The school had referred the results back to the examination body who had promised an investigation. I felt a bit better at that news.

Then he told me off for going out without telling anyone and for not taking a phone. I told him about my Beccy phone and how it had been stolen, then how the immersion in my alias was affecting me. I cried again when I told him that I'd been betrayed by my boyfriend.

This was new territory for him so he suggested talking to mum would be better but I really didn't want to restart the discussion about all the nasty things that *could* have happened to me, but didn't.

I spent an hour laying on my bed and took no pleasure in following medical advice. How was I supposed to do this whilst Suzie was down? I hoped that was the worst question I'd have to consider for the remainder of the day.

I heard the doorbell sometime after dinner, I was back in my room reading the script. Heather came up and dropped my phone on my bed. Beach security had detained a lad who was carrying a dozen mobiles, all his allegedly.

DC Garston had seen mine, my latest selfie was on the lock screen of the phone so it was easy to identify. He told the arresting officer he'd personally deliver it, my knight in shining armour. Shame he's a bit old for me. As for Daniel, it was fun while it lasted.

It didn't turn out to be too bad a day after all.

beccy's sig

up
377 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

some days

Alecia Snowfall's picture

some days you get the bear. some days the bear gets you. And some days it just don't pay to go to the f'ing woods! Maybe tammy knows that now.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

It always pays to go to the woods......

D. Eden's picture

It's just that some times you have to carry a bigger gun Hon.

Better living through more firepower.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Moar Dakka!

TheCropredyKid's picture

[nt]

 
 
 
x

Thank you Shiraz,

Tammy is finding out about the realities of life .A former Prime Minister here in Oz was credited with a statement
that was possibly the only truth he ever spoke,being a politician ----"Life was not meant to be easy ". How true??

ALISON

I guess the best remedy for a

I guess the best remedy for a broken heart is another crush, thankfully she is being realistic about him and only window shopping ;) Glad to see that she can rebound but hopefully it'll be a long time before someone breaks her heart again. And I hope the douche bag gets what is coming to him!

Bad idea in leaving in a hurry, but thankfully it turned out good for her and indirectly led to some jail time for the thief.

Joan is trying hard to be a good mom but I don't think she really grasps Tammy as a person. Angela accepts her smothering actions as she is s till fragile emotionally but Tammy is more of a free spirit which is the root of their conflicts. Hopefully Joan realizes Tammy will come to her if she needs her but she needs to be left alone to make her mistakes.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Sounds Like Hormones

joannebarbarella's picture

Tammy started the day trying to pick a fight so fights were what she got. Did she take the condoms and the lube with intent to let Daniel have his wicked way with her? If so, it was probably just as well she failed since she probably would have got sand where she needed to dilate. Ouch!

Sand

If so, it was probably just as well she failed since she probably would have got sand where she needed to dilate. Ouch!

And thus Daniel rubbed a day from bad to worse ...

That does bring up something

That does bring up something I think we all missed- how did she get sand in there? She wasn't there long enough to swim and she lost some time. Did something happen that she doesn't remember? Hmm...maybe I'm looking into things wrong but it's been bugging me.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Sand in her cooter

I don't think she actualy got sand in her foofaracha.
We were just speculating :)
Or at least I was trying to make a pun ...

That and Tammy is assuming

And we all know what that means. Wonder what happens to the thief with all the phones? They are expensive enough it adds up to Grand Larceny in the States, but I get the feeling the law there views it differently.

Low road too often

Jamie Lee's picture

When Tammy can't do what she planned, unknown to others, or get her way, she take the low road and hangs up on people and runs away. Becca may be presented to others but Tammy is alive and well by sometimes acting like a thirteen year old who was told no to her first party invite.

Her welcome home could get interesting should she continue treating her parents as she has.

Others have feelings too.