Coming Home 7

Printer-friendly version
Coming Home

Sydney Moya

© 2016

Synopsis

A man left his home town years ago as a teenager. Now he returns but is very different from the person who left years ago.



Part 7-The dance

I knocked on Bel's door.

"Come in," she said, her voice soft.

I entered the room. Bel was sitting up in her bed staring out at the window. I walked up to her.

"Hey," I murmured.

"Hey sis," Bel remarked.

She looked tired and forlorn. I sat down besides her. I reached for her hand and clasped it.

She squeezed back. We didn't need to say anything else.

The fallout from Belinda's revelation was something else. Uncle Tim cut all ties with us much to his wife's annoyance as she thought he should have been more civil to us.

Mason and Earl were mad as hell but we'd never liked the buggers anyway. They had all of our uncle's bigotry and none of their mother’s tact. Rhiannon was torn between both camps as was her mother.

Both of them couldn't get Bel's decision to transition but they were morbidly fascinated by the whole thing. It certainly wasn't something they were going to quarrel with us over and to be honest Bonnie was amazingly cute. They talked to Mom for ages on the phone when they called to apologise for the horrible events of the previous day.

They assured Mom it certainly wasn't something they were going to cut ties with us over. They knew the fault lay with Tim. Sandy promised she would talk to her husband, she let us know she was outraged at his behaviour and didn't blame Ben for socking him.

Mom's side of the family was still in the dark about Bel as she had left the party after the altercation. I don't think Mom knew what to say to them and she was walking on eggshells around Bel for the next few days as she didn't want to upset her further. Dad was the same, hard to read, so I guess only Mom knew what was going through his head.

Bel wasn’t really the same for some days after the incident at our father’s party. She seemed down even though she wore her usual smile. It didn’t extend to her eyes. I recalled what she’d told me about her ex, Ross, how he’d just stopped seeing her as a woman after she’d come out to him.

I had no idea how horrid it had been to listen to Tim’s vitriol. I’d been pretty upset myself at his taunts, there was no telling how she felt. I realised I didn’t know Bel as well as I thought I did, I’d probably never known her.

Despite this I loved her, she was my sibling and from what I could tell a great person. I certainly didn’t want to lose her again so I made sure I was always upbeat around her, smiling, helping with the baby and drawing her into stuff when I came back from work in the hope of not letting her get into a funk and feel out of place.

I think it worked up to a point.

There was some sort of good news later in the week. Uncle Ben didn’t have to face prosecution. We had all braced ourselves for a fight with Uncle Tim but apparently Sandy had talked him into withdrawing the charges for her sake. My uncle was a damn bigot but I have to say he loved my aunt. That wasn’t in doubt, despite all his horrible views, I think it was why Dad and Ben tolerated him.

Family is everything we are always told. Blood is thicker than water, well Uncle Tim wasn’t my blood. Bel, Ben and Bonnie were my blood. I loved Jack without a doubt. I could take the fallout from Belinda's coming out. Not talking to Tim wasn't something I'd lose sleep over.

I doubted there would be much hope for making peace with Mason, Earl and Tim though especially if they didn’t change their views about Bel and Jack. I just knew they were running their mouths somewhere about Bel and Jack. I couldn't care less if I didn't set eyes on them again.

Naturally this would upset my sister though she never said. I know the last thing she wanted was to be cause of division in the family but she wasn’t to blame. I wanted to get her mind off things so I did my level best to cheer up

Later that week I finally coaxed Bel into taking a girls night out with me. I dressed up to the nines and made sure she was too. This was after Mom had reassured her Bonnie would be alright with her.

“You won’t regret this,” I told her as we drove off.

Bel glanced at me, smiled wanly.

“You need to cheer up,” I told her, “and this is just the thing,” I told her.

“Are you sure we have the same mother?”

“Why,’’

“Because my idea of relaxing is my couch and Netflix,” Bel informed me.

“Oh no I have an old maid for a sister,” I gasped in mock horror.

My sister giggled a wry grin on her face.

“Who are you calling old missy?” Bel hollered.

“You, I mean you’re twenty-eight and would rather be in bed right now, if the shoe fits,”

Bel smiled and shook her head at me as she drove

“We’ll see,” she said.

I did see and was forced to eat my words. Bel could party with the best of them, because as soon we entered the club she had me dancing to my shoes off. Boy could she dance, in heels too. I wondered what had possessed my demure sister. I thought she might actually have a second career dancing in Queen Bey videos.

This is from a girl who used to practice dancing in her room every day as a teen.

Yeah she was that good she could break dance and crump with the best of them while completely comfortable in her party dress and 4’’ heels. I could barely keep up, she danced with me and two different guys.

“Can’t keep up?’’ Bel asked me, as I staggered to a table, “It is way past your bed time Missy,” she snarked.

“Okay, okay I was wrong sis. Where did you learn to dance like that?”

“It’s a gift,” she said with a smile.

“I hate you,” I told her as we sat down. She smiled.

“Hate the game not the player,” she said sagely.

I rolled my eyes.

We ordered some drinks I had a fruity cocktail while Bel had a soft drink as she was going to drive us back. It was only a matter of time before Bel starting bumping into people from her past. When she was in school my sister had been a quiet kid, she hadn’t stood out much or anything.

Beautiful women stand out far more than teenage boys though. We were busy looking at the dance floor when someone squealed.

“Megan!”

I turned around and saw the source of the squeal a smile crept on to my face. It was my friend Sharon.

“Sharon,” I said just as happily.

She was an old school friend of mine. We’d been besties in junior high. We’d lost touch when I’d headed off to varsity.

I stood up and hugged her.

“Oh girl it’s been too long,” my old friend murmured.

“Yeah, what’s up?’’ I said taking in Sharon.

She looked great and I told her so. She smiled and joined us at the table.

“Hi,’’ she said to Bel who smiled and said hi back.

She didn’t seem to recognise Bel and my sister didn’t seem bothered.

I forgot my manners and didn’t introduce Bel to Sharon as I didn’t want to out my sister or lie about her either. A couple of seconds later Bel downed her drink and went back to the dance floor.

As I’ve said Bel was gorgeous, she had fantastic style which made for quite the looker. I don’t think she really believed it as she seemed to have a low opinion of her looks. She didn’t seem to get how lovely she was. She certainly wasn’t a bitch about it.

Of course I have been told I’m good looking too and I’m no bitch, at least I hope not so it might be genetic.

That plus her ability to dance certainly ensured she would attract male attention. As hip hop number blared from the speakers, my sister was shaking it for all she was worth. A guy came over and started dancing with her.

This guy was clearly a good dancer too and it was only natural that they dance together. Boy did they dance. They were so good, people actually made a circle to watch them as they one upped each other. Slowly their moves became more suggestive and I opened my mouth shocked my sister was such a tease, seriously I was a stunned I didn’t know my sister was confident enough to do that.

The song drew to a close and the crowd cheered them. I saw Bel and the guy head away to a nearby table.

“Wow she’s good. Do you know her?’’ Sharon asked.

I nodded, “Yes,” I answered.

“You look alike, related?” Sharon asked.

I nodded as I watched Bel laugh at something the dude she’d picked up was saying.

I changed the subject and paid more attention to my friend. We talked over the din before her beau finally came. We exchanged numbers and promised to call each other.

Bel came back soon afterwards with her dance partner in tow.

***

Belinda

I will admit I was feeling low after Dad’s party. I worried about my past being broadcast to the public. Mags saw right through me and she did her best to cheer me up, as did Mom. She actually sat me down the next morning

“Don’t go sweetheart, please,’’ she told me the next morning, “we love you. Don’t listen to Tim ok.”

I shook my head, sighing.

“I,I,” I began my eyes filling with tears.

She pulled me into her arms giving me a warm hug. I cried for a bit while she held me. It felt so cathartic.

“I’m so tired of people like that,” I murmured.

“I know but your father and I love you, okay,” said Mum, patting my back.

I nodded feeling ten again which come to think of it is the last time I cried in Mom’s arms when Grandma Pattie died.

Dad didn’t say much to me. I didn’t know how to bring up the whole thing and I didn’t want to but I wished he’d say something. I wondered if he was upset that I’d ruined his party and his sister’s marriage.

I was still worried over the next few days about Uncle Ben and if we’d have to go to court and all, it probably showed and Mags seemed to take it upon herself to cheer me up suggesting we go clubbing later that week.

I hate saying no to her, she’s always had this sad look in her eyes if someone disappoints her. It's gut-wrenching. I hope Bonnie never learns that or I’m toast.

When it turned out Tim wouldn’t be pressing charges I breathed a sigh of relief.I also had some good news from Alana, my p.a. The start-up we'd invested in a year ago was about to launch their app. Apparently Barry thought it was an excellent product, our beta testers agreed as well. It looked like it was going to be quite profitable.

That saved my week making me amiable to going dancing with Mags. I didn’t let her think I was too eager to do it and she ribbed me all the way to the club. Inside I was smiling, happy to be with her. My sister is quite a person, I'm a so proud of the young woman she's become. I used to be so scared she wouldn't want me after my transition but she's been great especially on Saturday. I saw how mad she was at Tim. I think she would have gone for him if Ben hadn't done so first. She cares so much which is humbling.

I love the relationship we are developing. She is full of fun and isn't afraid to live life to the fullest. I don't know how I've managed without her in my life for so long.

When we arrived at the club she dragged me to the dance floor. Of course I didn’t tell her I had started dancing lessons in California. It was another of Callie's harebrained ideas to increase my confidence. Turns out I was pretty good at it, I literally saw Mags jaw drop as she tried to keep up with me.

Who is the old woman now, hah!

Of course I didn’t tell her that, I just kept dancing until she called it quits dragging me back to a table.

She was dying to know how I just did that. I just let her stew in her curiosity, enjoying the look on her face.

I teased her just a teeny bit.

Gah! When did I become so competitive?

We had some drinks, while talking about how maddening heels were. I'm taller than most so I don't like being taller but they do wonders for my legs. I look so good in them and I'm a sucker for looking good.

I was feeling quite good at that moment. Imagine my consternation when Sharon Andrews showed up. I immediately recalled her, she was a good friend of Mags when they were younger. I literally froze inside, terrified she would recognise me though I guess I was nonchalant on the outside.

I didn’t feel like that with Jack maybe because we weren't in such a crowded place and I had yet to experience my no good uncle's prejudice. After Dad's party I'd come to my senses and realised this was a redneckish area, was I going to become another stat after Sharon outed me as a dude in a dress in a crowded nightclub. Who would raise Bonnie?

Countless thoughts went through my head.

Thankfully she only had eyes for Mags who was alert enough to deflect. We were operating on a strictly need to know basis nowadays. With my heart pounding I slinked off to the dance floor to avoid giving Sharon fodder-time to have a thorough look at me.

A nice song started, it was Ciara’s, 'Like a boy,' an old favourite of mine. I found myself slowly swaying to the beat. I must have lost myself in the song because before I knew it there was a guy making the same moves, perfectly.

I accepted the unspoken challenge.We went mano a mano, dancing to some upbeat songs. Slowly the dance became more intimate as a more sensual song played but I was enjoying it. I was lost in the moment; he was a very good dancer.

After what seemed like an eternity we finally finished, it was then I noticed the circle of people and the applause. I turned red. The stranger bowed and then offered his hand. For some reason I took it feeling a frisson of excitement as the tips of our fingers touched.

I looked him in the eyes, they were a whirlpool of blue, quite arresting. He gave a wry grin and my tummy did somersaults.

"You are now pregnant with my child. It is the magic of the dance," he said,

I know corny right? Straight from the Simpsons too. But I'm weird like that and I found it funny and his baritone did things to me.

I found myself laughing.

"Lets find a place to sit,'' he suggested, placing his hand on the small of my back.

I allowed myself to be led to a table, aware of how strong he was.

To be continued

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks!

GrandiaKnight's picture

Thanks for the latest chapter of a great story. Just out of curiosity is there a new chapter of Stolen coming soon? That seems like it's shaping up to be another great story.

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

Thanks

Much appreciated. I'm chuffed you thinks it great so thanks for the encouragement. I don't want to lie but Stolen is at the top of my to-do list. I like the vibe but I can't say when I will have the next few chapters up. Maybe month end if the stars line up.

Sydney Moya

some fun

Nicely done, glad to see that Mel is coming out of her shell a bit after the party. She needed this night out even if she didn't want it. I just hope that her uncle isn't a vindictive prick but those kind of scumbags usually are.
I guess things aren't over yet until she is fully outed and not afraid of who she is but she has a good reason for not doing so, thankfully she has the support of those who actually matter.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Thanks

Bel still has a story to tell. She does need some positives and I'm her sister will drag her out of any despondency whether she likes it or not.As for her uncle, I'll see if he still has a part to play.

Sydney Moya

Good story

I am really enjoying this story among others.. I really don't know how you keep track of all your stories but whatever it seems to work well.

Joanna

Ha

I don't know how I do it. All the stories are there in my mind, how they play out and what's next and so on. I just need the right words to flesh out what I'm thinking. The characters lives are literally being lived out in my head, with all their joy, quirks and wishes. I'm just their voice sometimes.

Sydney Moya

Lovely to see another chapter

Lovely to see another chapter of this splendid story. How sad for Bel that she, her sister and parents had to be subjected to the verbal abuse and hostile bigotry spewed at them by their Uncle Tim and his two sons. Three very pathetic losers in my opinion.

Your comments

Are a pleasure to read, I really appreciate them. I can see you're rooting for Bel. All I can say is I love happy endings

Sydney Moya

Nice addition

Jamie Lee's picture

This chapter gives more insight into both Megan and Bel. Seems like Tim did an unwitting favor in helping bring Megan and Bel closer together.

Megan took the very high road in trying to help Bell become more comfortable with herself. Which showed the type of heart she really has.

Others have feelings too.