Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2890

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2890
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I went and spoke to Hannah. “I’ve just had Ingrid on the phone.”

“What did she want?”

“I suspect you know the answer to that.”

“I guess.” She looked down at the carpet and I saw the tears dripping off her nose. “Why can’t she leave me alone?”

“She thinks you belong to her.”

“I’m not her property and besides you’re my mother now, the judge said so.”

“I don’t think she would accept that, she seems to think she can do just as she likes without any consequences, but she’ll find she can’t.”

“You think she’ll try and kidnap me?”

“I don’t know, if she’s completely stupid she might, but would be up against the full force of the law. If she tries it, she’ll probably end up in prison.”

“Serve her right, she never wanted me and only does now because I want to stay here permanently. If she can’t have me, she’ll try and make sure no one else does. She’d rather see me in a children’s home than happy.”

“Was she in one?”

“Not sure—she did say something once about living in London—she’s from there originally. Can’t remember now but I think she did spend some time in a home. You’re not gonna let her do that to me, are you?”

“Not unless she’s killed me first—no you should be safe enough here but be extra vigilant whenever you’re outside. She’s threatened to try and snatch you, hopefully, the way we do things, she shouldn’t have much opportunity.”

“Watch her, she has lots of nasty friends. I’m scared, Mummy.” I gave her a hug and we chatted for a little longer. I briefed the others and then went off to make a call.

Stephanie had been held up but she eventually arrived and ate her meal while Julie looked after Emily. I left her to talk with Hannah having explained the latest development.

The person I’d tried to call wasn’t available but they’d ask him to call as soon as he could. At seven the next morning the phone rang, number not available. I nearly ignored it thinking it was Ingrid again but discovered I was very wrong.

“Lady Cameron?”

“Yes?” I said rather sleepily, I’d only woken a few moments before the alarm went off. I switched off the radio.

“It’s Andy Bond, you were looking for me?”

“Oh thanks for getting back, I have a slight problem that I think I need to speak to the police about...” For the next fifteen minutes I explained the calls from Ingrid and her threats to me if I resisted her demands.

“I think the lady in question is known to us.”

“I’m willing to bet she is. So what do I do?”

“If she tries anything, just call us. I’ll flag up that this could happen and for it to receive priority, just don’t go all ninja and kill everyone, wait for us.”

“I can’t make any promises, Andy, I will respond to the level of threat presenting itself and do my best to nullify it.”

“Look, I understand where you’re coming from but if you hurt her you could be the one going to jail.”

“If I do it’ll be for manslaughter or should that be pest control?”

“Cathy, I’m warning you as a friend, don’t do anything you’ll regret. What if she’s waiting to provoke you and they film it?”

“Will you really want to examine a camera that’s been in someone’s rectal orifice?”

“No, but this is exactly what I’m advising you about. If you’re seen to be the aggressor, the court is likely to find against you.”

“I won’t start anything, well not unless I think we’re about to be attacked.”

“Is this woman completely stupid? Your reputation comes with a government health warning—only an idiot would try something.”

“Sadly, I think she may now be in that category.”

“And she used to work for you?”

“Yes, I’ve changed all the alarm settings which will annoy Daddy as he forgets them.” I heard Andy chuckle. “I’m also going to use the gates again.”

“Might be a good idea.”

“I know but he bent the front of his Land rover the last time we did and damaged the gates.”

“I think it would be a very good idea until we know this threat is over. I’ll go over and see her and caution her against doing something stupid.”

“Could you tell her to stop harassing her daughter. I have legal custody and guardianship and Hannah has said she wants nothing to do with her.”

“Yes, I certainly will.”

I thanked him and rang off, he was a nice chap and I was so pleased he got his sergeant’s stripes providing it doesn’t mean he sits behind a desk all day. He’s a very experienced copper and good with people, though he can get forceful if the situation requires it—a bit like me I suppose.

It felt like we were prisoners and Daddy was constantly complaining about the gates being closed. I almost said something stupid about how clever did you have to be to press a button? Instead, Danielle took him off and said she’d show him how to do it. I was really proud of that girl. It irked Trish, I think she fancied doing it herself and I said quietly to her, “Don’t do anything to undermine your sister.”

“As if...” was her response but at times I can read her mind and I know she knows where the fuse box is.

I did some food shopping although David orders most things on line and has it delivered. That was all I did on Saturday apart from take Danni and Trish to the school for their respective football games. They both won again. The Cameron sisters are becoming quite well known in local soccer circles.

Sunday was equally quiet, with no further annoying calls from Ingrid but whether that was due to the police warning or because she was otherwise engaged, I couldn’t say. I suppose we’d find out soon enough.

On Monday I was taking the girls to school, Amanda and Jacquie were looking after the youngest ones so I thought the house should be safe. I spotted a white van seemingly following me but traffic density meant I couldn’t speed up and use the Jaguar’s power to evade it or test my hypothesis. So instead I asked Trish to take its number, she did a photo through the rear windscreen which she said captured it enough to read.

I turned into the close by the convent entrance and it followed, I could feel my heart rate increasing. “Be careful, girls, I think that van is following us.”

I stopped but the van rammed into the back of the Jaguar and before we could react, two men ran out with crowbars began smashing the windows of the car and tried snatching the children who were screaming. I felt shocked and one of them was holding my door shut preventing me from defending us.

In the confusion and chaos that happened I saw one man try to grab one of the girls and Danielle spun out of her seat and somehow managed to deliver a kick to his face, sending him reeling backwards. Trish was dialling for the police and I heard Sister Maria shouting at them. Suddenly they jumped back into their van and drove off at speed. We were all still here but if the girls were shaking as much as I was, I couldn’t see them going into school.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
263 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I find it odd

how the police are always warning Cathy while the bad guys act with impunity.

actually typical of law enforcement

Teresa L.'s picture

not that its their fault really, a persons rights being what they are, they cant arrest someone until they DO something, and then the old adage comes into play, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away, or something to that effect.

Teresa L.

Her fur will be up now!!

kristin's picture

Time to protect her newest cub, from the crazies! Thanks again for my daily dose 'o dormouse, and also for continued great writing. :)

kristyn nichols

This may get ugly

littlerocksilver's picture

This one will not be taken lightly. Danni and Trish will protect their new sister, and it may not be pleasant for the aggressors before this is over. The mother hen will wreck vengeance.

Portia

Chelsea Tractor?

I was hoping that Cathy would do a bit of ripping up the grass to get away from them. Perhaps she could not hop the curb in heels?

Gwen

So Ingrid has shown her hand.

So Ingrid has shown her hand. Luckily Cathy has Sister Maria there as a witness, which gives Cathy good cover for any reaction she has to the attempts. Thankfully Sgt Andy Bond is aware of what may happen, and now that it has, perhaps he can get all the police to get really involved.

Quite literally -

a smash and grab but fortunately there are witnesses plus - possibly, photographic evidence. Can this woman really be so stupid?
Still lovin' it. Thanks again..

bev_1.jpg

Clean up nicely

Cor, you and your friends clean up nicely. Happy Birthday.

Just had my 69th

Gwen

OMG ! Not Simon's precious Jaguar !

I must say here in the wild west, there would have been gunfire, testing the metal of the thug attack.
It's interesting the thugs knew to keep Catherine inside the Jag. I'm sure, if looks could kill, there would be dead yeggs about.
Can you you just imagine the response here, seeing a car filled with young girls, driven by a woman, attacked like that?

Pistol Packing Mama,
Karen

Cathy's poor Jag.

glad they got the number for the van but of course it will probably turn up stolen.

Wish Danni had actually incapacitated the one she kicked. Would have been nice to have captured one.

So was this really a kidnap attempt or just a pretty violent intimidation attempt? RECORD THOSE PHONE CALLS CATHY! When Ingrid calls again and makes some kind of reference to the attack they need that on record.

Smash and grab at a school

Smash and grab at a school has to be dumbest and worst attempted kidnapping style. Too much time on scene, too many witnesses, and the kids could fight back with who knows what inside the car.

They knew who to grab and who to target because it sounds like Cathy was tazered by one of them as he held the door shut preventing her from getting involved.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Dummies!

Christina H's picture

The attackers may well be dummies but the van will be stolen and they will have worn gloves it's a pity the cars in the UK don't have the flame guns that stop car jacking that would have fried the guy holding the door shut - but this is the UK where you can get arrested for defending yourself and your property.

Good girl Danielle I hope you did some damage.

Thanks for your hard work I love my daily dormouse.

Christina

Maybe its time to

be proactive, There is nothing worse than waiting for another snatch attempt, Far better you would think to fight the battle on your terms, Whilst the attackers showed little in the way of planning ...Apart from that is keeping Cathy out of the action ... You would think that next time they will more prepared ,That being the case Cathy needs somehow to lure them into a trap and somehow implicating Ingrid , That way any chance of the so called mother getting her daughter back will be the wrong side of zero !

Kirri