Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2889

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2889
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I put the phone down. “Whit’s this?” he asked tapping the application form from Bristol.

“A form, why?”

He lifted it up to show the job description for Professor of Biological Science at Bristol University. “Ye’re no thinkin’ o’ leavin’ are ye?”

“I saw the ad in one of the journals and thought I’d see what they wanted and were offering.”

“Oh aye,” he sounded anything but convinced.

“It was also a fallback position before the problems here were resolved.”

“Sae, ye were thinkin’ o’ leavin’?”

“It could have come to that.”

“But it’s okay the noo.”

“Probably, why?”

“Weel I’m collecting up the waste paper for the recycling, taemorrow.”

“I haven’t looked through it yet.”

“Ye’re still interested aren’t ye?”

“I don’t know.”

He went and I felt engulfed with guilt, I’d practically lied to him. It brought back memories of home life before I went to university. My dad wanted me to do something with strong job prospects, as surveying was what he did, he wanted me to do the same. I said I’d think about it, but the only surveying I wanted to do was walking through the countryside with binoculars watching birds or other wildlife. That I could do, the other, no way. I applied to Sussex with the prospect of three As at A-level. They asked for at least an A and two Bs. I got A’s. I accepted the place and then told my parents.

Mum was pleased, she didn’t really mind what I was studying as long as I did my best and had some fun. “All those girls, Charlie, don’t let them distract you.” I promised they wouldn’t and apart from wishing I were one of them, or watching clothing choices and makeup styles, I didn’t let them distract me. I was often in the company of other women there but only to study. Basically, all I did was study and the reward was a first class honours degree. I assumed they were giving them away and found out quite recently that mine was the only one that year. I was shocked when I realised, then I sat and thought about it and decided it wasn’t a sign or reward for genius but for being a plodder, one with perseverance. I invested many of hours and it paid off.

I could have gone anywhere to do my masters, but ended up here with Tom and his bloody survey. Was this a piece of poetic justice, my dad had wanted me to be a surveyor—I was but not in the way he’d thought of it. Thinking of my parents gave me a nice warm feeling it also reminded me that I no longer had them. If they had both been alive today and fit and well, would we have resolved our differences or been destined to drift further away from each other as the years progressed? I suppose I shall never know.

I suddenly remembered my father calling me Doctor Dormouse and I smiled, then a moment later I burst into tears as I remembered him first as a powerfully built man and then the helpless tragedy he became, not even able to speak coherently. For all his failings and his attitude towards me, he didn’t deserve to end up like he did. He waited for me to get to him before he died, so we could say goodbye. I was now weeping inconsolably.

“Mummy, dinner’s—oh, what’s the matter?” Danielle had come to fetch me.

“Nothing, I was just thinking about my parents.”

“Oh, I never met them did I?”

“No, I’m afraid neither of them lived to see my lovely daughters. I think they’d have been really proud of you all, you especially.”

“Meee? What have I done?”

“Not many fourteen year olds get to wear an England shirt.”

“Oh that, yeah must do some more training.”

I dabbed my eyes dry, looking in the mirror it was obvious that I’d been crying. I wasn’t looking forward to the inquest once one of them noticed. We walked to the kitchen together, David had cooked us a lovely bass. He was dishing up as we arrived.

“Mummy’s been crying, remembering sad thoughts—so no questions, okay?”

They all looked at me and nodded at Danielle. “You awight, Mummy?”

I nodded and sat at the table, Danielle sitting opposite. She’d always been protective of me, and the others, especially the younger children and most especially, Billie with whom she’d formed a strong bond, getting into fights and all sorts of trouble in acting like an older sibling. I suppose some of us are strong and some of us aren’t, just like some of us lead while others follow. It isn’t good or bad whichever camp you’re in anymore than any other trait we carry. It’s just the way we are.

After our delicious repast, Hannah waited for the others to drift off before she came to me. “She sent me another text.”

“Ingrid?”

“Yes, why can’t she leave me alone?”

“I don’t know, sweetheart, she might still love you in her own way.”

“Oh p-ull-ease, Mummy, the only person she ever loved was herself.”

I decided not to agree or otherwise make a comment. I’d have preferred that Hannah and her mother had got on better but it seems the longer she stays the more she despises the woman. Is that good or bad or irrelevant?

“What did she say?”

“She was going to get me back.”

“How d’you feel about that?”

“Scared.”

“Why, we’re all here to help you?”

“She can be really nasty.”

“So can I, especially protecting my family, of which you are one.”

We chatted for a few more minutes and she went off to finish her homework. They tend to do it on the Friday evening so they have the rest of the weekends free. When Si arrived, I barely managed a nod to him before he was swamped by a cohort of girls all demanding a hug. I left them to it and went to my study, Danni was putting his dinner on the table so I didn’t need to stay.

I picked up a book of ecology and thumbed through it absently. The phone rang and I physically jumped, out of my trance state. “Hello?”

“I want my daughter back, Cameron.”

“I don’t think she wants to come back to you.”

“I don’t care what she wants, she’ll do what I want.”

“It’s attitudes like that that caused her to want to leave you in the first place.”

“Like what? I’m her mother, not some surgically modified nancy-boy. I know what’s best for her.”

“You possibly do know but never enact it because you’re so self-centred.”

“Ooh, posh words from our local celebrity professor—yeah, well stick ’em where a monkey shoves his nuts.”

“She wasn’t very enamoured of your various men friends nor of you ignoring her to screw them.”

“What’s the matter, jealous are we?”

“Of you, I think not.”

“No, you just go round stealing other people’s children because you’re not a real woman.”

“Am I not, the rest of the world seems to think so.”

“Hah, shows how stupid they are then, don’t it? She’s only staying with you because you buy her affection. So much money you dunno what to do.”

“Oh is that what you think? You’re mistaken. It’s not because of me that she wants to stay here but the other girls.”

“Half of which used to be boys—gimme my daughter back or else—you fucking poof.”

“Uh—no chance. You’re not fit to look after earthworms.”

“An a pervert like you is—that’s a laugh, innit?”

“Hannah has made her choice, you lost, so butt out you trollop.”

“Ooh fancy words, girly-boy, we’ll see what the courts think of things now won’t we?”

“Go ahead, let’s hear my counsel list all the offences, commencing with common prostitution.”

“Yeah well at least I can sell my body, you wouldn’t be able to give yours away except to that poofy, so called ’usband of yours. Personally, I don’t think it’s right for two men to get married an’ I’m sure Hannah agrees with me.”

“I shall say this slowly because I’m only going to say it once. Hannah is happier with us, she doesn’t want to come back to you, in fact she despises you and the men you sleep with. So clear off and stop pestering her or I’ll get an injunction.”

“I’m gonna have her back and if you get in my way, Cameron, I’ll kill you.”

“Better people than you have tried.” I clicked the phone off. It rang a couple of times but I ignored it.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
247 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ingrid the fool

Ingrid is a fool if she thinks the judge will allow her to use her transphobic and homophobic vitriol against Cathy as justification for having Hannah removed from her custody. Threatening Cathy's life will also go down hard especially if she was smart enough to get it on tape...

Bullies always get what is coming to them in the end.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Lets hope she doesn't try to abduct the child

Julia Miller's picture

Things could go very poorly for Ingrid if she tries to take Hannah back. I don't think her motive is motherly love, it's more of a self-importance thing, it's my child and she belongs to me.

No surprise there then

Ingrid reacted in just the way i thought she would , If she seriously thinks Cathy would ever back down to someone acting in the way she did then she did not pay much attention to her boss when she was working for the Camerons .... Cathy needs to be prepared ,We can be certain Ingrid will fight dirty, Quite what form that will take remains to be seen but snatching Hannah is one thing she might contemplate...Hannah's sister 's though are perhaps Cathys secret weapons , All of them love their new sister and would do anything to protect her , Cathy cannot watch Hannah at school but her sisters can .... I wonder if Ingrid really fancy tangles with the resourceful Danni, Trish , Livvie , Meens !!

Kirri

Ingrid sounds the most dangerous threat yet

Rhona McCloud's picture

It isn't rational attacks that get through but those of someone who feels they have nothing to lose.

Rhona McCloud

“I’m gonna have her back and if you get in my way, Cameron, I’ll

“I’m gonna have her back and if you get in my way, Cameron, I’ll kill you.” Yes you and who's army, Ingrid? the army of 1. Not that Catherin doesn't need to be careful, of this ranting lunatic, but far better professional people have tried, and miserably failed against our Queen of D I Y self defense. My Prayers are for no one else to be sucked in when Ingrid's Karma runs over her Dogma.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

she's

Maddy Bell's picture

Got a Dogma? the new F8? I might be in the market if she wants to sell the Pinarello.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Need calls like this recorded

In case Ingrid tries to make up some kind of case against Cathy. Whew, she is a nasty one isn't she. Why does she want Hannah back anyway? Did she get a good offer for her? Perhaps time to send the investigators against a bit softer target.

Thank you,Angharad,

Ingrid has just qualified as "Bitch of the Week " .

ALISON

A dollar for every one who said that !

I do wish there was a recorder on the house phone. Don't they have 'unlisted' numbers in GB?
Three days without a post made it easier to produce that phone call.
Cathy now has a Pinarello ?

Karen

Whoops, get James to set up a

Whoops, get James to set up a recording system on the house phone, and get Hannah a different cellphone or at the very least a different phone number.
With all the creepy things Ingrid has been into in her life, I'm wondering how many jerks she knows that are underworld types and she can get to assist her in kidnapping Hannah and/or a few of the other girls? Which would be a huge mistake on her part and theirs.
Angry She Bears don't hold a candle to an angry and pissed off Cathy; plus Ingrid also in a round about way threatened Simon as well. Way, way wrong at so many levels.

Making up with Tom

I would not be able to think, sleep or anything until Tom and I were OK again.

If you think this is bad, wait til you run afoul of a bunch of religious bigots.