Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2880

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2880
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“How come, every time you get involved with some crime we end up with a body?” Said Superintendent Smith.

“Me?” I squeaked.

“Yes you, Lady Cameron.”

“He shot himself.”

“After a barrage of cutlery and crockery.”

“My children decided they wanted me round for a bit longer.”

“Don’t leave town without letting us know, I may well be back for a further conversation after I’ve spoken to his accomplice.”

“Let me know if you find out what happened to the boy whose father was searching for him.”

“D’you have a name—it helps?”

“No but O’Connor’s secretary might, I’ll see if I can find out tomorrow.”

“Please don’t, I shall be speaking to her myself.”

“Are MI5 and Special Branch still involved?”

“That I don’t know but whatever happens it’ll be us infantry who do the investigation and them who get the credit.”

“It was my father who stopped him.”

“That remains to be seen, the two aforementioned departments seem to think he blew their undercover operation rather wide open.”

“Oh well, poetic justice—saves on a trial.”

“Not necessarily, they could order a trial of the facts.”

“What a waste of money that would be.”

“I’m not going to disagree.”

“It’s like this stupid referendum on the EU, all it will be is to ask a silly question of even sillier voters.”

“I’d have thought you were a democrat.”

“I am but sometimes I’d like to see some sort of qualification to be able to vote beyond being eighteen or whatever it is these days, perhaps some measure of IQ proving you at least understood the concepts involved.”

“People form their opinions on the information given to them.”

“Yeah well the Torygraph, Daily Wail, Sun and Times are all backing Brexit—like turkeys voting for Christmas. All they’re publishing is prejudice.”

“I quite like the Telegraph.”

“Matt is brilliant, the crosswords are okay and sports is reasonable—prefer the Guardian, which along with the FT and daily Mirror are backing to stay in.”

He left and I went to put the girls to bed. They were all excited by the evening’s events which I could understand. However, I couldn’t understand why they were so calm about it during and after the event.”

I asked each one of them in turn and the common factor was they knew James and I would stop the baddies doing anything nasty. I couldn’t understand why O’Connor hadn’t just shot Daddy and James when he caught up with them. According to Daddy, they were ambushed by a group of quite heavily armed men, all who looked Middle Eastern or Mediterranean and were wearing tea towels on their heads or kaffiyeh as I think they’re called. I think he wanted to give them the impression that they were imported terrorists and wouldn’t hesitate to kill them. Having said that, possibly James would have done the same given the opportunity.

O’Connor said that he wanted them to watch me die before he killed them. In which case, his need for revenge was greater than his common sense. He should have shot Daddy and Jim as soon as he captured them.

Daddy was a bit shocked at first but James managed to get the car number and gave it to the police, so hopefully, the band of so called terrorists, could be arrested. Even if they were just friends of O’Connors, it could be seen as an act of terrorism, bogus or otherwise and cause stiff penalties on any they convict. Serve them right.

I had a long chat with Danielle and once again commended her on her courage. “You think I’m still showing bits of boy, don’t you?”

“Are you?”

“I dunno do I, I just did what I thought was a good idea at the time.”

“Courage is not the solely a characteristic of men. It takes lots of bottle to cope with a violent partner in order to protect your children day after day, or to work in an environment that is mostly blue collar males...”

“Or to turn up for school or university in a skirt and say, ‘This is me’,” she offered.

“Yeah, that too.” I blushed.

“Mummy, each one of us would die for you because we know you would for us.”

“I hope that’s never going to happen.”

“So do I, but it’s how we feel. You’ve given us love and affection and your time. We know you love us and we love you back as if you were our only mother. If he had shot you, I’d have killed him or died trying to.”

“Thank you, I think, oh and as I said I don’t think you were reverting, we women can show our mettle too.”

“I enjoy being a girl—for now, anyway.”

“I know.” I hugged her and walked her up to bed.

Sammi and Julie were scraping the kitchen floor and placing the rubbish in black bags for the bin. As soon as they were finished, I’d mop it all and have a final cuppa and go to bed. I’d call Stephanie in the morning and see if she could check them out.

Julie and Phoebe had missed all the action, they’d gone to the cinema to watch some chick-flick and came home to police and bloodstains. Phoebe had taken Lizzie off to change her and get her to bed while Jacquie sorted Cate. They seemed unaffected by it possibly because they didn’t take on board what was happening. I thought I’d go to bed early because I might have to deal with nightmares later. Simon came too but he was as knackered as I was and didn’t stay awake very long.

I couldn’t sleep trying to work out what O’Connor was really up to. I understood that he was using the university to supposedly register students to get them visas, was he importing terrorists as well? Surely he must have known that he’d be discovered sooner or later or did he think he could bluff it out? I suspect he told his secretary that I was involved just to annoy me. Despite what the superintendent said, I was going to have some words with her as soon as I could, assuming she turns up for work tomorrow. I somehow have my doubts—she’ll go sick and disappear. Was she involved as well? Who knows?

I fell asleep seeing O’Connor leaving his body with quite a shocked look on his face. Seeing as he came to kill me, it was to some extent understandable.

Next morning we were all a bit flat. Tom received a phone call and took off early. I took the girls to school and then went into the office. “I hear you had some excitement at your house last night,” said Diane bringing in my first cuppa of the working day.

“If that’s how you describe someone dying in your kitchen, yeah we did.”

“Yeah, didn’t mean it to sound so glib.” She handed me the mug of tea. “Have you heard the news?”

“We don’t have a Vice Chancellor, you mean?”

“But we do—well a temporary one—oh and his secretary did a flit.”

“Who’s the stand in?”

“Someone you know quite well.”

“Never mind the games, who is it?”

“Your dad.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
229 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So let's see ...

Tom becomes department chair, Cathy becomes dean.
Tom becomes Vice Chancellor, Cathy becomes department chair?
Tom becomes university Chancellor, Cathy becomes Vice Chancellor?
Tom then retires, and Cathy becomes Chancellor?

Celebrity chancellors

Rhona McCloud's picture

The post of chancellor of a uk university is ceremonial e.g. Queen guitarist Brian May was made chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University in 2008, one year after completing a PhD in Astrophysics and 37 years after dropping his original PhD thesis at Imperial College to concentrate on music. The Composer of We Will Rock You and co-author of Bang! The Complete History of the Universe, May is believed to have celebrated his chancellorship appointment with a vegetarian roast and a glass of dessert wine. Now that's rock 'n' roll.

Rhona McCloud

As usual warnings to her to

As usual warnings to her to stay put but really them hoping they can pin something on her despite evidence to the contrary.

Tom got a promotion, I have to wonder if Cathy will get his old job now...

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Although it is not the normal

Although it is not the normal promotion route to take, looks like Tom and maybe Cathy will be the big winners in all this. Oh, and I am not forgetting the University, as that school, the students and other Instructors/staff also win by these two becoming the acknowledged leaders in the community of knowledge.

We should've seen that coming

Best thing to happen for the economies of both UK and the US, is for UK to pull out of the EU.
Cathy will soon have a new newspaper to read or scorn, however the opines go. Imigine, a NEW paper.

Kathy

Thank Goodness, Someone Else Wants Uk Out of the EU & Says So

Thank YOU Karen. The way the Beeb, and many other media, are advocating a stay in it vote, I am getting the impression that the silly folk are going to throw us back into it. This is our LAST CHANCE to escape the tyranny of the EUSSR.

EU is pronounced like the sound a Lady utters when she walks out of a posh shop in an expensive pair of new shoes and treads in pile of DOG SHIT !

I am to this day convinced that the original vote about joining was rigged - all the ballot papers were sent down to London to be "counted", and on the island I was living at that time, we did a post vote poll and the result was an overwhelming NO, but a few days later the people down in London told the country we had voted YES.

That yachting chap got a HUGE present of an expensive new yacht from a never before heard of organisation in Germany, who strangely we never heard of again since. The whole thing about the EU is that it smells like a swindle from start to finish. Non-elected officials actually manage it and the so called European Parliament is a pseudo-parliament full of Polits who have been passed on from national ones, kicked out or upstairs, and the spend their time living off the expenses they get, that makes MPs look poor in comparison. There is fraud and corruption in the offices of the EU that smell so strong one can smell it from over the water. Their Accounts have not be audited for YEARS.

Britain is a sea-faring nation that looks outward and trades with the World. The little nations inside mainland Europe trade with each other and look inward. We just are not compatible and we belong outside it.

After 2 major wars with them, we ought to realise to keep away from them, they are just TROUBLE. Alas we only have wimps as "leaders" now. Oh for a Mrs Thatcher...

Briar

It probably isn't over yet,

Someone was covering for the VC. They may be afraid how much Tom and Cathy know. Then there is the secretary, she wasn't clean either. Then there are the people looking for their family. I could be quite violent if I thought someone had done something to my kids. Of those choices I bet Cathy has the most compassion for the latter.

The VC is Dead

Christina H's picture

Long Live the VC aka Tom! Loved the interplay about the papers all of it blindingly true.

Special branch upset - surely not just Cathy's luck to put their noses out of joint. And so glad that the school ghouls are not
too upset.

As for the EU referendum apparently the changes our esteemed head lunatic negotiated are not legally binding the Super
Hero's at the EU court can simply overturn them once the mass populace has been lead by the nose to keep the UK in the SH1T
things never change except the depth to the pooh.

Love the story thanks a lot

Christina

Yes, it aint over

Like other commentators have hinted, the VC's backers/customer may have been misinformed about Cathy so she may get an unwelcome visit. The other instructors are now stuck with contracts that are far from fair but *shrug* they could've left without signing. The security services still is breathing down her neck too. Cathy really needs a bunch of security cameras considering all the shite that happens at home.

Well, I think Cathy's job is secure now

Can Daddy make her appointment permanent? I have a hard time seeing her move up again in the structure so soon but, who knows what lurks in the heart of Angharad?

Seems like

Danni is till not totally convinced of the way forward for her with the rather cryptic-- “I enjoy being a girl—for now, anyway.”-- comment,The way Cathy describes Danni suggests there are certain aspects of being a girl she really loves, The clothes and make-up to name but a couple, Obviously by voicing her innermost thought there is still a little something troubling her, Quite what it is remains to be seen but it is something that needs sorting and not allowed to fester, Danni's future could depend on it ...

Kirri