Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2877

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2877
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I emerged from the lecture theatre completely drained. My teaching as performance art tends to draw a larger crowd once they know I’m doing it, so instead of three hundred there were probably closer to four hundred with people sat on the steps and standing at the back. It astonishes me that someone who has no interest in studying biology or ecology should want to come and watch me teach in case I do something off the wall—okay, so I showed clips of Dracula films and then went on to discuss vampirism as a form of parasitism. People think mainly in terms of the Central or South American vampire bats when vampirism is mentioned but if we include all forms of blood suckers, there are a whole pile of insects such as mosquitoes and fleas, plus ticks and flukes and leeches. Many of them carry endoparasites which can cause systemic diseases ranging from rabies to sleeping sickness and malaria and of course the Zika virus.

It was quite a noisy event but I think they enjoyed themselves, especially when I told them that it has been suggested that vampire bats indulge in reciprocal altruism by disgorging blood to other individuals in a colony. Because they’re obviously difficult to mark and observe, it isn’t known if these are family members or just known individuals and if there is any actual reciprocity. Can’t see it catching on with mossies.

Back in my office I was recovering with a cuppa to deal with the trauma of multiple student contact when my phone peeped. A simple text appeared, ‘Found him.’ I sincerely hoped he meant Tom rather than O’Connor, replying, ‘Please ask him to phone me.

A little later my mobile rang. “I’m sorry I caused ye any anxiety but I jest haed tae get awa’.”

“As long as you're safe now, it’s okay. When are you coming home?”

“Whit’s happening wi’ O’Connor?”

“He’s disappeared with the police and MI5 wanting to ask him some questions, not to mention HMRC about undeclared income.”

“James mentioned that he’d been captured by him and that ye’d rescued him. Is it no meant tae be thae ither way roond?”

“You know me, Daddy, fully emancipated.”

“Aye, I dae ken ye very weel.”

Why was I blushing? “And just what is that supposed to mean?”

“Eactly whit I said, I ken ye very weel an’ love every inch o’ ye. It’s been sae hard bein’ awa’ frae everyone, but I didnae want him coming tae thae hoose looking f’ me and frichtening thae rest o’ ye.”

“Don’t worry, the children would have protected you.”

“Och ye scunner.”

“We miss you, Daddy, so let me know when you’re coming home.”

“Aye, I wull.”

He rang off and I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. However my life saving cuppa had gone cold and I felt in need of some resuscitation so collected the still full mug and went out into reception and Diane’s office. Some large man was standing talking to her and gesticulating violently. This is a university not the social security office. I took the cup back to my office and went out empty handed to see what was going on.

“I’m sorry but Professor Watts is a very busy person and is committed the rest of the day.”

“But I need to speak to her.”

“Is there a problem, Diane?”

“This gentleman has been referred here by the Vice Chancellor’s secretary.”

“Oh okay, how can we help?”

“This man O’Connor he bring my boy into this country to study. I get call to send money to O’Connor, my boy due to arrive three days later, he never show.”

“Let me get this straight, you paid Mr O’Connor money to get your son a place at the university.”

“Yes, I just said that.”

“I’m just making sure I understand all the facts. Where was he coming from?” The man looked Middle Eastern.

“Kabul.”

“Kabul, Afghanistan?”

“Yes, is there another?”

“I don’t know, I teach biology not geography.”

“So where is my son?”

“I’m sorry I don’t know, nor do I know where Mr O’Connor is. Could you leave your details with Diane and I’ll make some enquiries for you.”

“How long will that take?”

“I don’t know, but please leave details of where you were expecting to meet him and when and how much you paid O’Connor.”

“Why d’you need how much I paid?”

“Please just indulge me.”

“You have ideas of where he might be?”

“Not off hand, but I have friends who may be able to find him.”

“No police.”

Mr um...”

“Nah, I’m going, you’re all the same, get our money and abandon us.”

“I can assure you I am nothing like Mr O’Connor, in fact I’m looking for him myself as he owes me a few things.”

Despite my assurances the man left very quickly. “What were you planning on doing apart from collecting evidence?”

“It would have given the plod something concrete to go on and a potential witness in a prosecution.”

“These people never agree to that.”

“They won’t if you don’t ask them. Ask wossername, O’Connor’s secretary why she sent him to us.”

“Already done that. boss lady, he apparently told her to, claimed you were an associate in the business.” She watched my expression turn from helpful to homicidal. “Calm down, boss, I’ve put her right.”

“So is that why Big Ears and Noddy were here earlier, I wonder?”

“I should think so—nasty piece of work, isn’t he?”

“Two can play at that, I think we put out the word that he be dealt with, with extreme prejudice.”

“What’s that when it’s at home?”

“How do I know, but it’s what they say in all these thrillers, especially American ones.”

“Doesn’t it mean shoot on sight?”

“Does it? Well I never...” I went back to my office and got my cup and made my own cup of tea. Nobody makes it like we do ourselves—it was nectar—no it wasn’t nectar is sugar solution with a few proteins, my tea is sugar free.

It was now after two and I was feeling peckish, but it was only when I thought about it, that I realised I’d not had any lunch. I had a Braeburn apple in my bag and a couple of my Lotus biscuits and I managed an hour of paperwork before dashing off to collect a car load of disgruntled schoolgirls.

“Okay, what’s the problem?” I enquired once they were all seated in the Jag.

“Sister Vagina was on the warpath again,” said Livvie.

“Trish, I hope you weren’t responsible for this...”

“That’s so unfair, Mummy, just because the old bat knows nothing about evolution or the Bible for that matter...”

“What happened?”

“I just told her in biology that I’d complained to professor Dawkins about her attitude to natural selection based upon genetic mutation and environmental forces...”

Some days I honestly wonder if it’s worth getting out of bed.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
239 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love the taste and crunch of a Braeburn apple!

And as to sister vagina, if she pretends to teach impressionable children and doesn't teach real science, she's an impostor of a teacher. She doesn't belong in a classroom if she's going to lie to the children.

It's not lying ...

... as such, if what you say you believe to be the truth even if it's a load of hogwash. That said, she doesn't belong in a classroom if she actually denies evolution without any valid evidence.

Robi

Woody stole my thought

It seems if one dresses similar in appearance to a Antartic bird, a nitch is found for you, no matter the qualifications.
Ginger has nothing on my tap-dancing, eh?

Karen

I can't help feeling;

that some individual that's tangled up in O'Connor's scheme is possibly going to feel 'short-changed' by O'Connor's disappearance (With whatever monies he could grab,) and mistakenly conclude that our Cathy is tied up in it and therefore come loaded for bear.

Look-out Cathy!

Still lovin' it.

bev_1.jpg

Apple and cheddar go togedder

Rhona McCloud's picture

Not at all sure about Cathy's Lotus obsession and very surprised at the VC's plot to dump the blame onto her. I'll have to ask Dawkin how your plot evolves.

Rhona McCloud

Trish along the spectrum is she?

We try to teach our children to be a bit open to the position of others, but with some it is thankless task.

It might be best if O'Connor is found floating in the river.

Gwen

Sister vagina is a bit

Sister Vagina is a bit strange.
Catholics schools in Ireland teach standard "Theory of evolution".
Catholic view of the bible is that is a religious book not a book about history or science.
Catholic schools keep religion and science separate.

Catholic Church and evolution
For nearly a century, the papacy offered no authoritative pronouncement on Darwin's theories. In the 1950 encyclical Humani generis, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that the individual soul is a direct creation by God and not the product of purely material forces.[1] Today, the Church supports theistic evolution(ism), also known as evolutionary creation,[2] although Catholics are free not to believe in any part of evolutionary theory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_evolution

Lotus Biscuits

Christina H's picture

and tea seem to be Cathy's answer. It seems that the gentleman from Kabul arriving was a bit fortuitous is he a goodie or a baddie.

Please don't pollute an innocent river with scum like the VC - but where is he and what is his plan? As for Cathy I think she needs to resupply with Lotus Biscuits ready for the long haul.

Thanks as usual

Christina

more slack for the VC's noose

Well Cathy starts to get to the bottom of things and finds the VC tried to pin this on her as well...nice try by the spooks but they need to do more actual investigating if they hope to keep their jobs after Cathy is through with them.

Something is fishy about that secretary...I don't think that woman is entirely on the up and up especially given her ties to the VC. She seems almost too eager to redirect people towards Cathy and Diane.

And leave it to Trish to again call a spade a spade regarding Sister Vagina. The woman doesn't belong in a classroom, and I hope Cathy is able to do something about it because it's going to end up costing the school a lot if she pulls the five girls out and word gets around that she doesn't support the school anymore.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Lies For Children

I don't believe that Sister V is actually employing the method first proposed in 'The Science of Discworld' where the term 'Lie-to-children' was first spelt out.
The definition is: "A lie-to-children is a statement that is false, but which nevertheless leads the child's mind towards a more accurate explanation, one that the child will only be able to appreciate if it has been primed with the lie".
Perhaps an example of this is the atomic representation of an atom being a mini-solar-system.

However, I have often used the method in various ways when I have been teaching ....

Gasp!

Angharad's picture

You mean atoms aren't like mini solar systems? You'll be telling me next that molecules aren't made of polystyrene balls and wires. (Goes off for a lie down).

Angharad

A lovely episode

I am glad that 'Daddy' is safe and well.

The Church of England upset some trolls this week by offering to pray for Prof. Dawkins as he recovers from a stroke. A moot point. I would let them pray for me if it makes them feel better. However, I do not think it would make a blind bit of difference to me.

Great writing as always Ang.

Love to all

Anne G.