Testing Times - Chapter 32 "Choices"

Printer-friendly version
Testing Times - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part
Thirty Two

 

"Choices"

 
Sunday 24th May (Continued)
 

The Head's solution was simple enough, Jeri could attend school as a boy, dressed as a boy and act as a boy whether it was during school hours or after hours. A change of name would only be initiated on the school's records once a statutory declaration was made in front of a solicitor. No gender change, however, was possible without the support of medical documentation.

"I feel it will be acceptable for Miss Anders to attend fully as a female in the autumn when the female boarding is available. Places there are, however, filling up, so confirmation is needed soon. In the meantime, Mr Anders should attend. It must be said that a formal diagnosis will be needed before September in order for the school to honour any boarding place."

Dr McIntosh let the subject hang.

"There are, however, concerns with him, or her, in the dormitory under the current arrangements." Reverend Franklin was nodding, he was concerned with pastoral matters. "There would be close supervision to ensure the dress code is adhered to, this unfortunately is a condition that a few governors have insisted upon.

"So, unless there is a promise that these conditions are met then we feel that he, she, should finish boarding within a few days and attend as a day student for the next six weeks."

Tammy was not expecting this, but felt the Head had little alternative. When Gerry had left the school on Friday morning for his appointment with Jill, apart from the pinafore he was a boy. He'd expressed no feminine desires either verbally or otherwise so there were no prior clues. He'd also not belatedly claimed a long-held desire to be a girl.

So, was his epiphany just that? In which case, how long before she reverted? Tammy didn't know Jeri, or Gerry, well enough to make an informed decision.

The Head was still waiting for a response to his offer.

"I can't be a boy, not all day every day."

"I see, that has consequences."

"I know Headmaster, but I can't see it any other way."

"I suggest you should all discuss this, then come to see me tomorrow with your mother."

The Head and Reverend Franklin left, plainly hoping for a simple solution to the issue.

"Livvy, can I suggest you and Jeri talk about this and establish what Jeri wants to do, we'll work a solution from that."

"Okay."

Joan shooed Tammy out of the room, Richard followed after assuring Livvy she and Jeri would have his support in any decision.

Tammy's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a phone ringing in the study, her father reached the door first. "Tammy, can you ...." he pointed at the safe as he answered the call, indicating he needed the encryption key.

She could hear her father saying to the caller that they were almost ready. Finally she handed over the device, which Richard inserted.

"Secure this end."

There was a pause. Tammy was trying to hear the other side of the conversation but from experience knew there was very little chance of that on this type of phone. The display, however, said 'AA House London'.

"I see, what else can you tell me at this time?"

Tammy was guessing this wasn't good news, but still had little idea who it was. The phone's display effectively said 'Abigail Adams House' a Security Service establishment. It was also Sunday afternoon, when bad news was not supposed to happen.

"Okay, I'll pass this on. How widespread is the news?"

Okay, so Tammy guessed the media didn't have the story yet, but what was it?

"No, I haven't had any contact with Mrs McPherson since Friday afternoon when she arrived in her hotel."

Elsie, how did this involve Elsie, thought Tammy?

"Thank you for letting me know." Richard ended the call.

"Can you get Helen, straight away."

Richard picked up the normal phone and dialled an internal number as Tammy went to find Helen.

Finding four screaming girls wasn't difficult, getting sense out of any of them was.

"Helen, I need you."

"It'll wait! We're in the middle of a game!"

"No it won't, now Helen, now!"

"Hey, it can't be that important?"

"I think it is, grab a towel."

She did, she took the towel that was wrapped around Tammy and padded, dripping, into the house. Tammy followed but decided to first go to her room first, she appeared downstairs a few minutes later wearing a sun dress over her still dry bikini. Helen came out of the study clearly in some distress.

"Come back Helen, Tammy come in."

Tammy brought a sobbing Helen back. and sat her down.

"That was Dave Brown on the phone, Helen's mother has been murdered."

"Oh, shit. I'm so sorry Helen."

"Good riddance!"

"Hey, that's not fair."

"It sorts out that problem, doesn't it."

Tammy looked at her father for guidance.

"Helen, it's more complicated than that. You may be the next target, Mrs McPherson is also in danger."

Richard had plainly not mentioned the thugs to Helen.

"No!" Tammy and Helen both reacted to that news. "But, me, how? Who was that you spoke to?"

"It was people in London, they work for the government. Right now this news is not with the media but it won't take long."

"What's the connection?" Tammy was trying to evaluate the risk, or filling in blanks.

"Unclear, but the common thread is the late Roland McPherson."

"Mum wasn't entitled to any of his money, so why did they get her?"

"Possibly as a means to get to you?"

"Oh."

"Now Helen, we need to seriously reconsider your security."

"Dad, have you told Helen about this morning?"

"Told me what?"

"The police picked two guys up a few hours ago, they had yours and your mum's photos and a bunch of addresses, including here."

Helen really looked worried now, "so they really are coming for me?"

"Dad, what about Elsie?"

"I've spoken to Anna, Elsie checked in with Thomas this morning, she has appointments tomorrow in Geneva and flying out on Wednesday." He kept the rest of Elsie's schedule to himself.

"So she's okay at the moment, what about telling her to be careful?"

"I passed that to Anna but only Thomas has the hotel numbers."

"Hey, you're more concerned about Elsie than me!"

"Not true, Helen, but you're right here and we can't be certain Elsie knows she's at risk."

The phone rang, the display said 'SB Caithness'. "Hello?" There was a pause.

"Oh, hello Officer, how did you get this number?" Richard uttered a few grunts whilst listening.

"I see, what resources can you spare? ........ That doesn't help."

Richard put the handset down, clearly unhappy.

"It would seem that someone in London has given this phone number to Caithness Special Branch, we've been promised no support for Helen but apparently we'll be a high priority if something happens."

"That doesn't help."

"That's what I said, Tammy."

Helen was getting confused, "are you telling me that the police shouldn't have the number of that phone? It don't look like an ordinary phone either."

"No it's a special secure phone and only a few people have the number."

It rang again, Richard suggested Tammy answered it this time.

"Hi Hilary, you heard?"

"Yes, Tammy. Do you want me to come up?"

"Will you achieve anything?"

"Probably not, not without disclosing my part in this. I can however co-ordinate from here."

"Okay, Dad's had this call from Caithness SB, someone in London gave them the number."

"That was probably Met Special Branch."

"Why would they have the number?"

"That's Sophie's lot."

"I see. Look, can you arrange protection?"

"It's not our territory, strictly speaking, but I've made some calls."

"Thanks."

"Look, if you decide to relocate Helen, let me know as that will affect protection. You are aware that the cottage was upgraded yesterday? The security system links back to here as well as into the school secretary's office."

"And it's free until the end of term."

"So I understand, Miss Smith's interview is this week?"

"Friday morning, but she won't be appointed until she's obtained a disclosure certificate."

"So the property's free. It would not be sensible for her to be there on her own, though."

Tammy looked around, Richard and Helen had left the room whilst she was talking.

"I've got to see what everyone's up to, Hilary, I'll let you know what the plan is."

"Okay, keep in touch!"

Tammy found the sitting room door open, Joan was with Jeri and Livvy. "Come in, Tammy."

"What's the bad news?"

"Didn't Dad say?"

"No, he took Helen to her room."

"Helen's mum's been murdered."

There was an intake of breath.

"How much do we know?"

"It's not in the media, but will be soon. She was in London, it's linked to Roland McPherson it would seem."

"Elsie?"

"She's okay, but we're trying to get a message to her to be careful."

Jeri, it would seem, had heard stories about Tammy's adventures but Livvy was uncertain how to take it.

"You're telling me that a girl in this house has just lost her mother?"

"Yes, her mother was the local MP."

"Poor girl."

Tammy giggled and was smacked, gently, by Joan for her indiscretion.

"Sorry."

"Tammy, guess you came in to find out what's been decided?"

"Yes, mum, there's a few people who want to know."

"Jeri wants to transition."

It seemed that Jeri had convinced her mum she was a girl at heart, although just a lost soul until her epiphany. The problem now was how to accommodate a girl who would perhaps manage to be a boy for a few hours a day in school but refused to be anything but a girl the rest of the time. The fall-back position was for Jeri to leave St Andrews, but schooling would remain an issue regardless.

"I have an idea."

"Let's hear it."

***

Helen rejoined Tammy and Jeri but the various parents were occupied elsewhere.

"Tammy, I'm frightened."

"It can be a bit scary, Helen, knowing there are awful people out there."

"You said you had a bodyguard?"

"She was more of a big sister, her name was Louise. She stopped me from being kidnapped and we had a few nasty men arrested while she was with us."

"Was she armed?"

Tammy laughed, "no, but she had fantastic reflexes."

Jeri looked concerned, "I don't need protecting but I'm not allowed to decide for myself. It's so unfair."

"When's your eighteenth birthday?"

"The fifth of September."

"Just before school starts."

"Yeah. If I'd been born a few days earlier I'd be in the upper sixth instead of the lower sixth."

"Jeri, my birthday's the first pf September, apparently at five past midnight."

"Wow, almost the cut-off day! So if you were born a few hours earlier you'd have left school a year ago and I guess you wouldn't have transitioned?"

"That's right."

"It's still not fair. So what will mum and the Head decide?"

"I really don't know. The Head did say that you could remain a boarder for this week but the school's mostly empty. You would have to pretend to be a boy for meal times."

"I'm not sure if I could do that, I don't want to wear tight t-shirts to hide these," she pointed at her boobs.

"Were you taking any hormone drugs?"

"No Tammy, that was the point. I was supposed to take testosterone to make up for the lack of gonads, especially as the chemo damaged my prostate too, but I just put them down the loo once a day."

"Why?"

"It reminded me of the chemotherapy, as one of the treatments was with tablets, another used injections. I got fed up taking the pills so pretended to take the testosterone. I was called for a blood test when I was at home at Easter and I guess the results caught up with me."

"What did Dr Adi say?"

"That I should talk to someone about it, and she'd made the appointment already. That's why I saw Dr Davison, that's when everything started going wrong."

"Wrong?"

"Yes, you've been so nice but she was just horrible and I don't know if I can trust Dr Adi? Now the Head wants to throw me out of the school."

"That's not true, Dr Adi couldn't have known what was going to happen."

Nothing more could be done until they spoke to the Head and that would be the following day. Jeri cried off that meeting as she had an appointment with Sandy Smith and the torturess Joanne at ten.

Richard had secured beds at Elsie's under an existing arrangement so the Anders, all of them, would lodge there for the next few days.

The gates to the McPherson estate were firmly closed and the groundsmen had released the dogs, it also seemed that infrared surveillance had been recently installed. The two houses ate separately, giving Livvy, Jeri and Claire a chance to talk amongst themselves.

Helen had withdrawn to her room, despite her hard exterior the news had hit her badly. She'd lost both parents, although she'd never known her father, had no siblings and wasn't on talking terms with her mother's family. She was alone.

 
Monday 25th May
 

Tammy dropped Jeri and her mum at the salon, they'd re-arranged the meeting with the Head to the afternoon.

"Hi Hilary."

"Hi Tammy, any news?"

"I was going to ask the same, but no. I do have a plan for Helen but I need approval from elsewhere."

"What's she doing today?"

"Keeping a low profile." The news was front page on every UK paper, except the Daily Sport of course. The media had been to the house but all gates were locked. Elsie had a farm exit off the estate that only locals knew about, so that was used for access.

"Sensible, I doubt if anyone would move against her given the media's interest, that's probably why they were going to snatch her yesterday morning."

"Makes sense, if kidnapping and murder makes any sense at all?"

"True."

"What do we know now?"

"It's money related, Roland McPherson had gambling debts."

"He could afford to settle them."

"Indeed but he needed to cash in an investment and had told the gambling syndicate which one."

"Oh, so that money's going to Helen?"

"Yes."

"How much is the debt?"

"One point two million Euros."

"Euros?"

"The betting syndicate was based in Monaco."

"So they want Helen to pay the debt?"

"Yes, but even if she did they'd demand more and would kill her with very little consideration."

"Damn, how long will they try?"

"Your guess is as good as mine, but the syndicate can be closed down if enough international effort is put in."

"What about the thugs?"

"Hired hands from Romania, they knew nothing about the debts and were paid just ten thousand Euros for the job. "

"Let me guess, the police won't do anything with them?"

"That's about right, Immigration will take care of them."

"So how long before the gang try again?"

"End of the week, maybe. "Has Helen talked to her solicitor?"

"Dad's sorting that out."

Tammy's phone pinged.

Just seen the news
 
About?
 
Seriously Tammy! Helen's mum
 
Not for discussion Tanya, you know nothing. Understand?
 
Hey, I went to school with her
 
And you know too much, please keep quiet!
 

Tammy put her phone away, ignoring any further pings. "Tanya could be a problem."

"I know, Tammy, but we can't muzzle her. Where's her boyfriend?"

"In England, due back in a few days."

"Okay, if I hear anything I'll let you know. What's your thoughts?"

Tammy escaped after half an hour and walked back to the salon. Livvy Anders was trying to settle the bill to Debbie, there was no sign of Sandy.

"It's been paid."

"Who?"

"It's just marked as paid, that's mum's handwriting."

Debbie acknowledged Tammy, "Jeri's in with Joanne, you should be able to hear the screams soon."

Tammy laughed, mostly for Livvy's benefit. "Livvy, let's get a coffee, Jeri will be at least half an hour."

Debbie looked at the appointments diary, "Joanne put down an hour."

Tammy asked Francis if they could sit out of the way, she didn't want their conversation to stray to nearby ears.

"Do you use this hotel alot, Tammy?"

"Once, maybe twice a week. It's a great place to meet everyone."

"Jeri tells me that you've had your share of experiences and adventures?"

"I could write a book."

"I'm still trying to understand why my son thinks he's my daughter."

"She came back from Friday's appointment very distressed but it was an hour or two later when she made the choice, or at least told us she'd decided."

"So was it just a reaction to this shrink?"

"I don't think so, I really think she needs to see a specialist in this field, but the only one in this town is now persona non grata."

"It could be months before my child sees a specialist, I need to know now if all the upheaval is going to be worth it."

"Right now, I wouldn't suggest you tried to push Jeri one way or the other, but she's old enough to know that every decision has consequences."

"So try to do the best of a bad job?"

"No, give Jeri what she needs for her education, everything else is secondary. Regardless of whether she's in a skirt or he's in trousers, your child will be sitting their A Levels in twelve months time in one of the best schools in the country. If they're content, safe and happy then they'll do well, but if there's turmoil, discontent and sadness then they'll do badly."

There was a pause as a barman delivered their drinks.

"I suppose you're right, it just seems so unexpected."

"Were there any clues at Easter?"

"His skin flared up so he was just in his underwear alot of the time, although he has a cotton kilt he can wear if his legs get cold."

"How is Jeri managing her psoriasis?"

"There's not much that can be done, some of the lotions help a bit but the main thing is not to irritate the skin."

"What about losing her testes two years ago?"

"I was losing my husband then."

"Did Jeri have any counselling?"

"No, not much. One session I think."

"So your son lost his ability to father children and nobody really talked about it?"

"Oh. It's my fault, isn't it?"

"I wouldn't draw conclusions in that regard, when did you realise she wasn't taking the HRT tablets?"

"About 2 months ago, Gerry did a blood test at Easter, the first one for over a year. Our GP called me when he saw the testosterone level was near zero and asked if he could arrange an urgent referral up here, I told him to contact the school to arrange it."

"Now, do you think that choice two years ago might be connected to today's issue?"

up
373 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

pebbles and ponds

Alecia Snowfall's picture

when you throw a pebble into pond, how do you tell the duration of the ripples? Only by watching them, after it's done.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Very true.....

D. Eden's picture

But then you have to account for the Observer Effect, which basically describes the fact that simply by observing a phenomenon we change that very phenomenon in ways that cannot be anticipated.

The classic example of this is the act of checking the air pressure in a tire. This is done by actually releasing some of the air, thus changing the very pressure one is measuring.

Simply by observing the ripples caused in a pond by the impact of a stone, the observer alters those very same ripples. Like all waves, the shape and structure is altered by coming into contact with any object - no matter what state the object exists in. A wave can be reflected or bent by coming into contact with a solid object, but even contact with a fluid medium of differing density will warp the wave - or alter the ripple.

This is sometimes known as the Butterfly Effect.

Perhaps a more apropos example would be as follows:

You find yourself dressed nicely, but casually, and sitting in the food court of the local shopping mall savoring a cup of coffee and taking a break from shopping. You see a good looking man walk in and sit down at a table not far from you. Within a few moments, he glances your direction, stares at you, and frowns.

You immediately begin worrying about why he frowned. Is he some religious nut who has made you as transgender and is contemplating calling a few of his friends and beating the crap out of you to kill a boring afternoon? Is he staring because your lipstick is smeared? Is he staring because something is stuck in your teeth? Is he staring because your outfit isn't appropriate? Is he staring because a very large spider is descending from the ceiling via its web and is about to drop onto the top of your head?

Or is he even staring at you at all? Perhaps he is looking at someone else past you.

The point is that just by looking in your direction the observer has caused a reaction in you.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

so much going on!

Jerri's decision, Helen's mom, wow !

DogSig.png

Thank you Shiraz,

Poor Gerri has a hard road ahead and will need lots of support with final year exams in the offing.As said previously ,Tanya is the "Town Crier " minding everyone's business and wanting to know everything so she can shoot her mouth off , a very dangerous person to have around in the circumstances prevailing.

ALISON

Clowns To The Left Of Me

joannebarbarella's picture

Jokers to the right, and here I am in the middle with you! Helen in physical danger, although one has to wonder why the gambling syndicate doesn't just ask for the money.

Geri on the horns of a dilemma, but what happened to the request to the school from the GP? Was the request made, or did somebody ignore it? If so, why?

hmm...if that is true

hmm...if that is true something smells bad regarding the school and I hope Tammy is able to sniff out the culprit. I think you just found another of Shiraz's hidden clues, coupled with the claims that all isn't what it seems.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

jeri is true girl

important appointment with Head of St Andrews delayed due to beauty salon appointment, love it!

Something stinks about all of

Something stinks about all of this regarding Jeri, I hope she is able to entice the true masterminds behind Jeri's troubles soon because something just isn't adding up about it...

I fear the Helen situation might be heading towards a showdown between Tammy and budding her sexuality. Reason being is the only thing that I can see to fully protect Helen was the two of them having to share a place while things cool down. Helen has her unrequited crush on Tammy and Tammy is seeing her defenses starting to crumble...maybe being forced together finally breaks down the wall?

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Jeri's mom doesn't sound too bright

Her child needs her and she is worried about blame. Even when dealing with grief a parent much think of their children.

When it rains, the world floods

Jamie Lee's picture

The horns of a dilemma are facing Gerry/Jeri and his/her mom, and they deal with more than schooling.

Live was under stress because her husband was dying, causing her to start asking all types of questions pertaining to "what will do now," "how will I handle this," and many more that deal with those things her husband took care of. And her son was undergoing an operation, and chemo, which was intended to keep him from possibly developing the same cancer as his dad.

And then her husband dies, the man she loved, the man she had a child with, the man who she'd been with for so long that he was a part of her life. The grief she felt after his death caused her to not look after her son as she should, not noticing he wasn't taking his meds or that he needed to see his GP on a regular basis until told otherwise.

Now Gerry has decided he a girl, and must be one the majority of the day. There is though, in Tammy's mind, the possibility that Jeri could switch back to Gerry at some point. And that his wanting to be Jeri is due to the help received from Tammy.

However, there is one thing which has not been discussed, hormone levels. Gerry stopped taking the testosterone pills because of the chemo he endured, so he wasn't replacing the testosterone his body would normally produce. What was his body producing in the mean time? The beast s/he's developing does hint at what his/her body has been doing.

Gerry/Jeri needs to see an endocrinologist as soon as possible so the hormone levels can be determined and a course of action determined. Or they find that the psoriasis is the least of their worries.

What was the point of killing Helen's mom? Because she didn't have the money to pay off Roland's gambling debt? Neither mother or daughter are responsible for Roland's actions. Thanks to Veronica both hadn't seen him in years; Helen never knew him.

Tanya is going to get someone killed one day because this all a big game to her. One she believes everyone deserves to know about. She doesn't realize it yet, but will when it happens, but if she persists in her flipped attitude about security,Tammy will have no choice but to dump her as a friend.

Others have feelings too.

Helen's living arrangements

I suspect that as the Cottage's security has been upgraded and linked to CMR, that Helen is moved into the Cottage as an interim measure (away from the McPherson Estate, Dunbankin and Tammy), possibly along with Jeri (given that may enable them to dress as a boy on central campus, but a girl in / around the Cottage) - but presumably there'd also need to be a responsible adult present, who could offer closer supervision than remote monitoring.

If only it was possible to magically bore a tunnel between the school and properties!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!