Vantier a Whateley Tale chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Vantier a Whateley Tale

Ancient and Powerful Vantier awakens in a foreign world, struggling to find her place in it.

He is saved from the death of his race and planet....to start all over again....but can she survive?
A human high school and being a teenager?

please take note...this story does start out slow...but once its rolling, its a RIDE!

Shadowsblade here.
most of my current stories can be found on Fictionmania

Please feel free, to add a review to this story and others. As those kind words are 'cookies' that keep that muse well fed on the 'sometimes' long breaks between stories!

Or if you want to input more?

Drop a e-mail to me at [email protected]

Copyright © 2016 by Shadowsblade

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including
photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods,
without the prior written permission of the Author, except in the case of
brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other
noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well on to the story!

please note that the first few "quoted" paragraphs are barrowed from

Whilst Any Speaks part 4
by E. E. Nalley

This great story and others can be found at http://whateleyacademy.net/

March 22, 2007
Arkham Research Consortium
New Hampshire

"Even outside, the remnant of Hekate's spell and Aunghadhail were forced to shield their eyes against the burst of magic and spiritual energy. The Amazon recovered first snatching up a discarded spear from one of the Orks, she hurled it. It flew straight and true with uncanny accuracy and pierced the queen through her heart. The force of it knocked her backward and pinned her to the wall of the castle. Wood, steel and stone, elemental powers united against the fey queen. “Aunghadhail!” screamed Nikki in shock and rage.

The queen sagged against the spear that pinned her to the stone wall. “Peace, child,” she managed, her pale face ashen. “All things end.” Then her eyes rolled back into her head. The wind rose, pulling her hair from the circlet and seeming as it blew there was less and less of her until only the spear remained, stuck in the stone wall.

Thus ended Aunghadhail, Daughter of the Burning Oak, Paramount Queen of the West, Chatelaine of Tyr-na-Baine, who at long, long last, succumbed to Death."

Aunghadhail the beyond ancient Fey Queen spirit is slain. The web of fate shakes at the change that her death has brought. That shaking brings forth of the attention of an Elder God of another dimension, another planet that used to be adjacent to earth and Gaea's planet. In the timeless void between the two worlds, two dimensions, a small pocket dimension opens up. The most private space that two Elder gods can share.

Gaea looks forth into the deep void of nothing and asked a question "Uthor? You request to talk to me? We haven't talked in several hundreds of thousands years. You still exist!"

Uthor sounding weak and tired replies "Yes my old friend Gaea. I just felt the tremble in the web of fate of your fallen elf and champion, Aunghadhail the Queen of the West. Is no more?...At least as far as I can see. With my last bit of energy I tell you this, here where no one other can hear us and know except for you and I.

I have sent you a gift. I did it many years ago in hopes that you would never need it. It has lain in total dormancy with the possibility of me expiring and it never being used. I'm sending forth what little energy I have left from my dimension that the Dark Ones have destroyed and the planet from which the gift is come to you from. I sent it to you over 150 years ago in the time of your earth that you rule over. It's the last of the champions of my world. The Emperor of them all. Hopefully this warrior of light, will be able to help you.

Unfortunately he has been dragged from death itself and obliteration. He will not be happy. I stole him away at the last second from that fate. So I bid you to the deepness of night Gaea. Remember my name Uthor Pen Draco, Gaea!" then nothing.

Gaea screams out his name one more time trying to see if he still there. Nothing happens....SILENCE. Then the dimension itself, he helped to create for this small conversation...folds into the nothingness and disappears forever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday March 22 2007 6:05 pm
Long term Research Storage Vault
Homestake Paranormal Activities Research Center

In the old closed down, then revitalized and reused Homestake mine in South Dakota. Buried in a deep storage chamber that holds items that are on a constant rotation between one research facility in the next within the Department of Paranormal Affair's vast web of storage facilities, research facilities, sister and adjacent companies, and the private sector that are paid to do research or store items. Is a large room approximately five times a football field in each direction. This room is only accessed by a single set of loading doors. The doors themselves are massive. Each one is fifty feet across, forty feet tall and ten foot thick vault doors. These doors can hold an atomic blast in or out.

In this room's far corner stands a block of metal, on a very dusty metallic cargo base. This block is eight feet tall by four by four foot, perfectly smooth and utterly black. So deep in black it is. That if, you shine a flashlight on it. The light would NOT reflect off of it. The light would just seem to be swallowed into it. Measuring devices are pointed at it Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week and all they have been reading ever since they were installed and they themselves replaced, other devices of unknown types over the years for the last 150 plus years since 1842. When this object was found at the bottom of a large blasted pit. People first thought it was a meteorite strike but it wasn't. It was this block, it was laying there. But this event also happens to have coincide with the disappearance of a man of about Twenty-five years old from the area. The two may have been linked? The info on both? Was placed in the same file for this block. In that file it will show that this object has been moved many times. It was moved to many research facilities for study over the vast years. At all of them they tried in turn, with the latest tech to get a sample of this block. Not one of them over the past decades has even managed to scratch its surface. So with all those failures, this block, rotates in and out of storage as technology moves on and the researchers try once again to see what it is in new ways.

The readings on one of the many devices that constantly scan this one block of what people refer to as metal but its not. They have been registering 0000 for decades. The block it finally twitches to send out infantile amount and the device reads 0001, then an hour passes by and 0002 is displayed. Then 0003 on the next hour mark. The device self checks and readjusts itself and it still reads 0003 and then clicks to 0004. Now it's out of spec for variance for an item in storage and clicks off signal along the wire to the monitoring room. In a vast room of monitors sits dozens of people, that are watching individual monitors of dozens of other storage rooms buried deep within this mine. The deepest parts of this storage facility are far below the last actual level of the old mining operation. They've even dug even further and deeper. To store even more dangerous items and creatures in this pit.

One large monitor sitting in front of the technician flashes up and scrolls over to the set of sensors on this one object. He starts looking at the information displayed in front of him. Its such a minuscule amount of change he sees. But as required he looks at the records. This level of minuscule change for a normal item, no one would even take notice of this. This one item has NEVER changed in any of its readings in over the last 150 years of them being able to measure anything of this nature coming out of it. This one sensor is measuring the slightest bit of what can be described as arcane energy, magical force, a dozen names are used for what it is now measuring. He alerts the supervisor by pushing a button on his console and that information is immediately flashed on the supervisors console. The supervisor now searches over it, reading through the information and sends it immediately onto a supervisor in Washington DC for the Department of Paranormal Affairs department for their attention in the morning when they wake up.

The man in charge of this unit. Gets on his headset, then he clicks over to the technician that was assigned this by the computer. "Schedule that object to be directly looked at tomorrow and have the sensor replaced, just as a matter of precaution. To see if it might be faulty."

The technician communicates back to the supervisor "I did a complete fault check on it, Sir before I sent it over to you. Its not registering a fault, but I will assign it for a team to look at it and service it tomorrow." Then the monitors go back to reading their normal information, in a normal cycle and the two men go back quickly to work.

Down in the storage room of Homestake mine, deep within the large block. An awareness finally comes to the surface. That hasn't been there for eons of time. The awareness that is in it, is now given a spark of life! It starts remembering what had happened to it, during its last week on its home planet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawk Lord Home world
Eons ago

Kyle Vantier's last memories from eons past flows once again. Its of a planet that used to be Gate connected to earth...Gaea's world. Kyle Vantier the Emperor of the Hawk Lords and of the whole world, He presently rules over in peace for nearly 500,000 years. He plods wearily down the hallway in his bare feet, dressed in nothing, which is a classic tradition of all the Hawk Lords. They all wear nothing when they are at home. As they always have to be in their armor when they're outside of the realm, its castle, its grounds. They wear it to protect themselves and others from the energies that course through their bodies. To be without armor outside of the castle walls, is to explode violently into nothingness. Only this armor can keep and maintain the energies within their bodies. Taking off the armor in its entirety, would be the same as loosening the control rods on a nuclear reactor. It would just let loose in catastrophic failure to blow itself apart. Only the Asterix armor seems to keep this in check.

Each Hawk Lord born has a piece of this armor fashioned, in a bracelet or necklace at birth and then its affixed to them. For the rest of their lives they have to wear it. This is not seen as a thing of slavery or enslavement. Its seen as a badge of honor to what you are! Most Hawk Lords earn their suit of armor eventually. They get their full suit in the equivalent of their teens. Shortly after that coming of age an Axe is forged for them, this is the only weapon they really train with. Hawk Lords by tradition only carry an Axe. Outside of that one weapon only a very select few barely even 'One percent' know how to wield magic. The Emperor himself was the first one to do that among all Hawk Lords ever. He transferred that knowledge to the rest of them, so that others may learn it also.

As Kyle is walking down the hallway, his companion Hawk flies up to him and starts lazy slow circles around him. Kyle tells the bird Nightwing, to come and it vanishes into nothing...to blend with Kyle. When a Hawk Lord is born. A Hawk companion that is part of the family has a chick, at the exact same second. The two are bonded forever! One dies, the other goes with their companions for until they part at death.

The hallway he walks down is immense as is the castle that contains it is gigantic in itself. The hall is several hundred yards wide and nearly forty five feet tall. He remembers the stories from the previous Emperor that he replaced and his own father and grandfather. When they came here, as almost all in their generation did as boys themselves. The large group of them slayed the Giants that occupied this castle. Then they all started into clearing the land of all the evil. This being one of the first places they managed to clear it all out of and took over the castle. Then they had their metal smith's take the stonework of the castle and slowly work the Asterix into it so that the members of the clan can walk among its hallways, sleep in its rooms without having to worry about wearing armor at all times. This place they could be comfortable as the metal surrounded them. Eventually the very stone of the castle itself was replaced with pure metal, as it was brought into existence in arcane processes and harvested slowly over tens of thousands of years.

He walks Wearily down the hallway with a weight on the shoulders of the impending doom that is coming at them all. The Dark Ones have turned their full attention to his world. He had been lending his great warriors to other dimensions and planets in trouble from the invasions of the Dark Ones. He even loaned a couple to Gaea and her cause. But the Dark Ones had decided to band together, put down their petty differences for one thing. To kill off the warriors of light because they held one power within themselves that the universe had come up with by accident probably? Or as a way to balance the scales. The "light" that they can emit from themselves is most deadly to both Dark mythos races and in large concentrations of five or ten warriors it can be most deadly and a tide turner in any battle. So The Dark Ones all banded together in one mutual pact to destroy this world. The end has been coming for thousands of years. It's been a very short battle compared to other planets and how they fell. This one is falling very very quickly compared to the slow game that The Dark Ones seemed to like to play to draw out suffering. They want to end this world as fast as they possibly can.

Vantier continues walking, yard after yard. He usually flies this distance with his great wings or teleports with the internal teleportation system built into the castle because of its immense size of hundreds of miles across in each direction. He is thinking to what's been going on during this last several thousand years. Because he knows this is the week, if not the day that he and his kind are going to end. When The Dark Ones finally moved their attention to here. They started the war by destroying the gates between one world and the next. So that no assistance can come in and none of the warriors themselves can escape. Then they started concentrating on the outer kingdoms and empires that occupied this planet in a peace that lasted for so long. That no one can remember the last war that happened here, except for the ones that were the most ancient. They eliminated the Elvin kingdom of Empress Ember and separated it from the Elves of Gaea's planet. They also eliminated the Empire of humans that had come to this world to settle from Gaea's world. They have been slowly but surely eliminating one empire after another until they got rid of all of them, besides the warriors of light. To make sure that there would be nothing to turn to or suddenly attack The Dark Ones, as they finally surrounded and prepared to utterly destroy the last Emperor.

He is going over in his mind the history of his planet and what he has done. There had always been war between the Elves or the humans that had come. The Hawk Lords usually trying to keep the peace as best they can between the two or three others that were always seeming to be quarreling.

He thought back to His own past Emperor of the time that he followed one. He fell into madness with some religion that he decided to follow. Vantier along with a couple of his brothers and the son of the Emperor. Decided to depose the great Emperor for a period of time, while he mentally healed. The group finally accomplish that goal, after several hundred years of battling with him. Then the Emperor went into seclusion for a while, with the hope that he would get better. But he didn't, he started to rise back up and he once again fell back into the vast madness that had infected his mind. Since the emperor is mentally linked with the people, this madness flowed into his own people. To drive them crazy into self-sacrifice and murdering each other.

Vantier went alone to seek help from an old Gold Dragon, on this issue with the Emperor. This Ancient Gold Dragon was not exactly friends with anyone. Dragons always saw humans as enemies and Hawk Lords even more so! He convinced the old Dragon, that he should be the first one of his kind to be given magic among the Hawk Lords. They had been cursed to never have magic in their lives, to be able to use it, or to wield it. The only time they that they wield it, is to have magic imbued into their weapons. The Dragon managed to break that curse for Vantier. But in the bargain, Vantier was turned into semi-subject to the dragon himself. Then the Gold Dragon turned Vantier into a deep black Dragon, to serve him better. Thus changing his armor color and marking him as is the only one in his entire empire that wears black armor. Everyone else wears silver, He always stood out in the crowd after that moment on within that blackest of black armor.

He remembers having to gather much power and magic for the coming fight with his old Emperor. Then he had to learn how to use his new altered form of the Black Dragon. He after many years, finally came face-to-face with the mad Emperor in a challenge fight for who was to rule. He surprised the mad Emperor with his new form and the magic he now weld. He sadly had to slay the mad Emperor. Because he could not have that madness allowed to come back up again and cause the empire to fall yet again. He then settled all the petty differences among the kingdoms and in brought peace forth to everybody. Everybody willingly followed it, for the next half-million years and peace absolutely reigned supreme on the land.

He decreed that anyone could become Emperor if they wanted! If they could do the task and get the peoples support. He also stated that his own children would not become Emperor, to replace him at any time unless they could do the task. This started a tradition that you must find your own way in the world and you will not be your father's son. You would just be a son of someone, be them royalty or a common farmer. Which meant a son of a farmer could be royalty one day and royalty can have a son who is a farmer. There is even a case in Vantier's lands. Where a son of royalty decided to turn his back completely on being what his dad wanted him to be, He wanted to be a common farmer. The farmer like most humans at this point time only lasted One hundred to Two hundred years of life. This farmer who toiled his soil. Found it loved him and he loved it back. In the exchanged love between them both. He lived to be over Five Hundred years, in perfect health all the time. One day mentally, he decided that he wanted to stop and died. This proved to everybody "if you love the work you have. Contribute it to the better of all, no matter how little it is...you'll find it rewarding." Vantier saw all the pettiness in his empire ended, with that first example and everything was great with the Empire.

Vantier comes upon a teleportation circle embedded in the floor, that he had been looking for. He teleports up into the high reaches of the castle, then walks out on the balcony overlooking the surrounding castle itself, the grounds just beyond the edge of the walls and the shield of magic that protects the whole area. He looked off into the distance, he could see beams and streams of light as warriors on the battlements fought off The Dark Ones invasion. Every once in a while he could see a great shimmer in shield itself around the castle as The Dark Ones attacks drained it One inch at a time. He sighed heavily thinking 'its only matter of time.'

He fought back his growing sadness. He knew if he was sad, everyone would feel it. Because when he was having a bad day, everybody had a bad day in the castle. When the world's inhabitants had a good day, he had a good day. He is fighting back being totally overwhelmed all the sadness that had been growing especially over the last month with his wife Gina and some of his best warriors. They had gone off to the other side of the planet thinking, that a gate could be brought back to life. He gotten word just barely a week ago, she had died many weeks beforehand at the hands of The Dark Ones. She died in a trap that they had laid with false information and with her...died one of his oldest sons. He had thrown many sons and daughters into this battle so far. He hoped he would not have to throw away anymore.

He stops his dwelling on what can not be changed, to look over the fight going on beyond the battlements now. From what he sees, it doesn't look possible that this fight is going to be any win for him. Hopefully buried deep within the castle, the last ones that he could assemble, that can build a gate, might succeed today. Because if they don't, no one is going to survive, nothing of this great world, its history and its people are going to survive.

He looked off towards the edge of the battlements as an explosion happened and another one. He knew then, that those explosions where his warriors deciding to commit suicide, to maybe destroy enough of The Dark Ones soldiers in that section to maybe turn the tide. He sighed for a second thinking that their sacrifice being so great, was probably not going to do any good. The explosions themselves when they fell in battle. The minor ones of the young, each a half-mile across. To the major ones of his older, toughest warriors Ten to Twenty miles across. Someone from Earth would say that it looked like atomic explosions, from the Warriors deaths.

He turned away from the balcony unable to watch anymore, he strode into the main room itself and a armored teenage boy started walking up to him.

"Dad I'm going down to the battlement. To see what I can do" The boy says to his father.

Vantier studies...this boy, one of his middle sons "I don't think that would be good idea. I think you need to go down into the research center, that is trying to open up that last gate. Our last hope and see if you can hold out down there."

The boy regards his father "Dad I'm going to make, my choice. To be on the battlement!"

Vantier shakes his head Wearily "That is your choice. That's going to be the final one your going to make. You know that now, you're old enough to understand what's going on. Your youngest brother and sister don't. ...But you do. Just understand that me telling you, to go down to the research center is not a gift of holding you aside from the fight. Those that stay down in the research center of this castle, as it falls about them. Will probably be the last ones dying in the greatest pain as they are tortured, as the last group of us. By The Dark Ones, when they finally overrun us. So the battlement or down there? It's...it's...up to you?" he near cries "I cannot make that decision for you, how you're going to meet your end."

With that said, the teenage boy looks upon his father "Dad I choose the battlements there's always a chance that....maybe?" hope fills the boys voice then fades.

Vantier walks forward and gives the warrior a hug "Off you go make me proud! Make your mother proud! Do your best!"

The boy turns towards the teleportation disk on the floor and vanishes in a flash Then Vantier himself turns away. Knowing that's the last time, he will see that boy. Vantier turns away from seeing the last of his older sons leave. He walks back out to the balcony and overlooks the battle once again. Just in the minutes that he had just talked to his son, as the boy went off to join the fight. The battle has even gotten worse, the explosions of his warriors falling in the fight are growing by the second. The shield wall is shaking and starting to come down. He thinks to himself 'We don't have a week. We have hours at best.'

He turns to make a symbol in the air with his outstretched arm and an advisor POPS up out of the teleportation disk. The man walks forward and bows to his Emperor.

Vantier says to him "Don't bow to me anymore! We are done and you know it! So what is the word on our project downstairs?"

The advisor shakes his head.

"As I guessed. We're finished, this is our last day. Go down there with who you can gather. Seal yourself in. I know I am condemning all of you to a painful death, one way or the other. But at least if you last a couple days, you might eke out a chance and that's all I can ask you to do."

The advisor turns without saying a word, knowing nothing needs to be said and walks to the disk and teleports away.

Vantier turns from the enormous chamber that he would normally hold court in and there's no one else there but himself, he walks back out to the balcony overlooking the grounds of his castle and the wall has just fallen just this second. Now he could see The Dark Ones and their minions pouring over the walls. The shield shutters for a second to come back on, then goes cold! It's never going to come back on now. He sadly turns, now the grief is actually hitting him. There's no holding it back now he walks to the teleportation disk and it takes him with a thought to his own chambers. One of the nursemaids is standing there, he just looks at her with a glance and she immediately walks off knowing what she has do. His two bodyguards if you can call them that at this point, even though they're not the best, they're standing there waiting. He walks off into his personal chambers and they stay outside of the door. The nursemaid hurries in his last two kids. The oldest not even Ten, the boy and seven the youngest girl. He sits on his bed and they both rush up. The son says "Daddy, has mom come back yet?"

He shakes his head "No...she's going to be back soon."

The youngest girl says "Daddy all the noise outside has got louder!"

"Don't worry about it! They're just having fun up there celebrating, you don't need to look out there anymore."

Vantier turns to the side to will his Axe into existence, then pulls it into his hand with a thought. Then lays it on his bed.

He says "Honey" to his youngest daughter "Why don't you come over here and give dad a hug."

The daughter gives her dad a hug. He holds her close, he glances up from her deep hug to the young boy "Come over here, sit down on my knee and turn away."

The young boy does just as he was told. He sits on dad's knee and looks off into the distance.

"Look out the balcony, out the window at the bright lights strobing in the distance." He says softly to the boy. He picks up his Axe with a thought. In Vantier's mind this is the saddest thing he ever thought he can do. He's decided that he is going to put his last two children in the gemstone pommel of his Axe. It's best that they be in there, between life and death. But most of all, it's better than being captured by The Dark Ones knowing that they're my kids. They will torture them or turn them into who knows?

"Son just look off into the distance" he taps the young boy in the on the head with the Axe, his body just vanishes in a flash of light and the pommel stone glows. Then Vantier starts to sob silently.

The daughter says to him "Daddy your crying what's going on?" she asks hugging him, even closer her face buried in his side unseeing.

He says to her "Hold on honey, my love is about to hit you!" he taps her and she disappears in a flash of light. Now she's also in the gem with her brother between life and death, with her on that cutting edge of nothingness, some might refer to this as purgatory waiting for judgment. He now sits hugging nothing.

Vantier falls completely into tears, sobbing. He's lost it.... The nursemaid knows that her job is done, she strides out of the room through the service quarters, wills on her armor and pulls out her Axe to go to throw her life at the last fight! Her job is finished. Then Vantier gets up from the bed, he wills his armor on himself, picks up his Axe and walks out the doorway of his chambers. At the door his two guards stand there more than ready.

He glares at them both "Well warriors! This is the final fight, shall we wait for them here? or shall we charge into them!"

One of them says "It's up to you? You make the decision Sir!"

"No I don't! This is your death! You decide!" He yells back.

The guards glance at each other "We are going to wait for them here. They are going to have to come through the last door, over our dead bodies!"

He looks to them both "It has been a pleasure to served you as your ruler. Pleasure to die with you!"

Just as he finishes that saying. The main chamber doors to his courtroom blasts open. The Dark Ones start pouring in. The fight starts between the three of them and the hundreds of The Darkness comes pouring into the room. Just as Vantier is about to fall in the battle, He is about to take his own life and destroy probably the entire top of the castle.

Uthor Pen Draco's last action, sucks the warrior Emperor out of existence and puts him in storage. Hoping to save this champion of his for a later need or use. But even with his going, the castle is obliterated 500 miles in each direction, completely leveled. The planet actually now has a dent in it from that explosion, that can be seen from space itself. This dent shows deep, to the very core of the planet and then planet starts to wobble off in space. As it orbits a now dying sun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, March 23 2007 7:05 am
Long term Research Storage Vault
Homestake Paranormal Activities Research Center

The sensor team opens up the main vault door. The door, that weighs dozens of tones swings open slowly on electric motors. They then wait for those service lights snap on, one at a time across the ceiling of the whole room. Then they start walking across the room with two guards, that watch their backs in case something happens. Within this whole room, it has been filled with items that are in storage and on a rotation basis for testing for decades if not longer. As far as everyone's concerned, the whole room is pretty much safe to enter at any given time with slight precautions. The group goes over to the assigned pallet and looks at the immense black block that is sitting there. One of the technicians leans down, starts unplugging the possible malfunctioning sensor that's there. He starts by pulling it completely off its mounting. Then puts it into a empty storage box that he brought along, that was made specifically for it. While he was doing that, the other technician is pulling out the new one. Then he gets it up to spec and double checks it with his alignment and adjustment tools. As the other technician steps out of the way to box the old broken part, he steps to the pallet and starts installing the new one.

The one that is installing the new sensor leans over to his partner and says "Heya have you really ever thought about actually mounting one of the sensors directly on this thing?"

The other technician shakes his head "Nothing sticks to it. It's completely smooth. It's one of the smoothest surfaces they've ever encountered, nothing sticks to this. It's inert, it does not have any measurable properties. You gotta read the files on this thing. They tried everything that's ever been made. Trying to cut through it, burn through it and nothings been ever able to scratch it. Let alone do anything to it."

The technician that's installing the new part, finally finishes up and calibrates the new sensor. He starts looking at the information spilling from the unit onto his computer tablet in his hand. "Well, it looks like what it was reading is correct and looks like it's going up steadily percentage points every couple hours?"

One technician turns the other "I wonder what that means with this thing?"

"I don't know what, as far as a can tell you. I guarantee this thing just jumped to the head of the line for being reevaluated. Its been dormant for so many years. Its not even funny. Now that it's doing something? Somebody's gotta look into it."

They both pack up the tools and their boxes to start walking off from the large obelisk that's looking at them. The sensor clicks up another point as they walk off. In the monitoring central station the technician swivels his chair to look at the monitors that have been brought to life. That the technicians had done the swap out for the sensor to see if it was a misadjusted mount, misaligned or out of spec. The new sensor is reading the exact same specs, as the one that was replaced. He sends the information to the supervisor. The supervisor overlooks it, then tosses the information into the adjacent file folder for the item to be immediately looked at. By an evaluation team to see if it needs to be completely retested, to see if this change is something that needs to be further investigated on down the line by another department, another storage, or research facility. The computer moves the items file folder into an immediate status, for a team to come out the next day, to give it a complete and thorough going over. Then the system goes back into its dormant waiting for it's next order to come up within routine business schedule. During that night the percentages have been clicking by a little bit, by little bit per hour. They have been steadily increasing at an alarming rate. The computer is still dissecting the basic information to the technician and its still within the spec's not to be worried about.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, March 24 2007 6:05 am
Long term Research Storage Vault
Homestake Paranormal Activities Research Center

The next morning that 'evaluation' team is gathered itself together, nearly 20 people and six guards to watch their backs as they go into the storage room.

One of them turns to another "Jack what is this thing, that we're going to be looking at today?"

"It's the biggest, blackest, hunk of metal that you have ever seen. You can shine a flashlight at it and the light just gets sucked right in. It's the only weird thing it does, besides being eight by four x four and perfectly smooth and perfectly square. No one has ever been able figure out what it is. Its like something out of 2001 space Odyssey! It just sits there, it doesn't do anything, completely inert, it hasn't done anything in 150 years plus, until two days ago that is! Then this week it decides to start doing something!"

That technician turns to the other one "Jack did you get the last readings on it?"

"Well, I got the ones sitting on my handheld there. They're over an hour old? But this thing hasn't been progressing too much. It increased little bit last night according to the computer. But not dramatically."

"Well lets start getting the vault cycled open!"

They start the long process of getting all the bolts, all the combinations, the locks and the safeties disengaged on the doors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the vault itself

I awaken.

I fall to the floor a good foot and smack against the smoothest feeling floor.

'Is it marble? I can see fairly well in this darkness, my eyes seem to be still adjusting. What did I stumble off of?' I think. I turn around on my hands and knees then reach out to...some kind of metallic framework 'I don't understand it? Never seen this? The metal is strange, iron-based, it's really well refined, pretty good for somebody. I sniff the air, definitely humans did this.'

I stand shakily up, to fall down again and try to get back up again. I start to fall, I grab on to a, post there, something that lights up, on it looks like some symbols and runes reading back and forth. 'Interesting, its not magic? What is this? Nice lights though. Wonder what spell this is? It does not have magic on it? I sense none? I don't understand it?'

I look back to the floor. Its not marble, its not cut stone, its some kind of rock mix of some sort? Made solid! Amazing whatever this is? Definitely not shaped by magic that is. Very well done whatever it is. Kind of like how the humans made bricks at one point. I remember? to make buildings.

I manage to stumble to my feet, take a few steps and noticed something was completely off. I put my hand in front of my face and even in the great darkness of the room. My eyes are still very good. I look over my fingers and my hands. I don't remember my hands being so small, what happened to me? I would probably remember if anything happened to me? Did the Dark Ones experiment on me? Is that what happened!? No...they would crippled me with pain or something cruel! That can't be it. I feel just fine, but different.

I take a couple shaky steps forward and notice something about my walk is not the same. I take another step forward and notice my chest is jiggling! My hands race up to my chest. I feel breasts there!

"Ohh my, someone seems to have turned me into a female!" I yelp.

I reach down to my sex "To a complete female I might add."

'I wore a female as a disguise once. It was a quite a weird day when I was much younger' I think to myself 'It did work to fool those guards, looking like a female!'

I giggle at myself with that sound, I suddenly realize and think 'I definitely sound like a girl. I wonder what I look like? I need some light and a mirror'

I am trying to remember? What was the last thing that happened to me? My memories are starting to pour into my head, to fill the empty void that was just there a second ago and it all hits me in waves
pain,
grief,
dread,
anguish,
sadness,
loneliness,
emptiness and I scream out the loudest anguished cry in my life! Then fall down to the floor like a puppet with its strings cut off, then I curled up in a ball sobbing and crying on the cold floor for what must be an hour.

Then I realized! WAIT a minute! I survived somehow! I may have been changed? Are there others? I start reaching out, knowing that I can connect with any of my kind. I've done it before. I have done it for thousands of years. I reach out! AND its just.....EMPTY!.....its liking to be in a stadium for sports. That should be FILLED with 100,000 people enjoying life, loving life, having happy thoughts, being around, being around each other, enjoying each other's company and the 100,000 people are NOT there! NO one is there! The doors are locked and you know no one's coming in! Its just....empty.....lonely....only you and you know, no one else is coming in...EVER. Knowing that everybody that I've ever known is gone! The sadness racks my body. I start sobbing, crying again and laying there fully taking pity on myself.

I come to the thought of! I must go on and maybe find revenge! Somehow!...

I get back to my feet to plod across the room, on this incredibly smooth floor. My feet find its cold, but its not bothering me. I mind calls out...mentally reaches out to Nightwing, my bird. Wing's asleep and not waking up!? Not, Answering my call?

'What ever affected me must be affecting him?' I think about this for a second 'NO!?...HER! We are both female! Now that's different. How could that happen to me? Me wearing a disguise is one thing. But Nightwing being changed, that's a whole other thing! This change in us both, more than puzzles me.

I move forward a little bit more, exploring the vast room around me. I see a strange stone tablet on a metal grate. The same style of metal grate, that I was standing on a second before I fell to the floor. Metal pedestals I guess I'd call it now and I see wooden boxes on some others off in the distance. Each one of the pedestals seems to have those most weird light up posts around them, flashing in some kind of archaic symbols. The lights flicker on them like fireflies in the distance. I start examining the nearest one and what I see doesn't make any sense. I've never seen this writing before? They are all showing the same writing I find, as I look at a few. In my exploring around, I notice how perfectly laid out everything is. Each metallic square pedestal, was the same size approximately. Then every so often in the row, there are two or three of them are jammed together to hold a bigger object in one direction or another. Then its all laid out in a grid. 'A warehouse!' I think. 'So that means storage!'

As I explored around. I finally figured out, that I must be in some kind of storage warehouse. These posts on each one metal square, must be what looks over the item that's on these pedestals. As I regard them again, I think to myself 'OHH no I walked off the pedestal. They must know I moved!'

I start wandering around exploring more of what's around me, getting feelings to what's surrounding me. IT! suddenly pops into my mind. I talked to Nightwing! Where is my Axe! Next I reach out for it and find it's not there? I then reach out as far as I can, with my feelings. I call it, I feel it, I find its just trembling on the edge of my feeling. Its just out of my reach. But, it's out there somewhere. Something's holding it! Something is keeping it from me! It can't come to my calling it. I wonder to myself, is it in storage also? Are they keeping it from me? I don't understand. I reach to my wrists, my bracelets are there and so that means. I have my armor. My mind goes over the last thing I remember, is the castle falling. Everybody dying! As I think about it. The castle falling! I start to cry out loud in the sudden realization! "The kids! they're with the Axe! Ohh my, without the Axe. I can't get them back! The last two! Of my kind, of my family! I can't get them back!" I scream out!...as the pain of these thoughts burn into me.

I look around the room whipping my head about. Is this a form of torture? I pinch myself as hard as I can, to draw blood. I am alive, awake and that pain tells me that I am not sleeping or something. I walk farther out into the room, looking all around me for answers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, March 23 2007 8:15 am
Long term Research Storage Vault
Homestake Paranormal Activities Research Center
Outside the vault door

The examination crew starts open up the last of the locks on the immense door. The giant main bolts holding the door closed, slide out of the door itself and into their homes within the walls with a loud thud. An indicator panel on the side of the vault door immediately starts flashing red.

Jack...the lead technician walks up to it pulls the information onto the screen mounted to the wall "Guys look! That stupid block, that we are supposed to look at just lit-up with arcane energy on it and heat!" he looks back at the screen "NOW!...its darn near everything else we can measure, is shot off the scale. Guys?....we're too late, whatever happened is happening in there right now!"

The lead security guard leans over his shoulders "I don't know what, I'm looking at? But should I call for more men!?"

Jack looks at the security guard "I would if I were you! I think we should go back to closing the door up! and see what happens from a distance! You send in a robot or two. I don't feel like running in there right now."

The lead guard pulls up the security console for the room. He's about to touch the 'lights' button. Jack slaps his hand away, from that action.

"What ever you do, don't turn on the lights in there! Excite it! Surprise it! Give it energy! That's stupid!" he scolds the guard.

"I'll trust you on that one. What do the passive sensors say?"

Jack pulls up what the man wants on the monitor "According this, there is recent movement around in there. We know its not one of us! So what ever moved? What ever "it" was."

Jack keeps looking at the panel while information is displayed to him.

The lead guard gets out his personal tablet. He opens a link to the main security department for an ALERT team be sent down immediately. Five to Ten minutes go by. The large vehicle elevator at the hallways end to this section opens. The alert team comes pouring out of the elevator. Six large electric carts roll out. One is medical. Four others are more troops, more armor, better weapons, Thirty more personal. The last one is more techs with better sensors and a portable computer station. Once their cart stops, they almost leap off of it to connect more electronics to the vaults main panel and set-up!

A new Lead guard stands in the group of techs and he starts watching the new computer stations readouts like a hawk! For the next two hours while his teams set up. This man now in charge, an older, short black man with a bald head. Who has the look of a man who has seen it all or done it all. HE WATCHES the sensors. During that time, what he sees is a form about Five to Seven feet tall move around a bit...then falls down for over an hour. Then it screams in a language that the computers have never heard. It then lays there for near Twenty minutes then gets back up. Then this form moves to a pallet and seems to look at the sensors mounted on it for some time. Now all the sensors come on line finally in the Second hour of his watching and he can now tell. Its a near human form in there, with a bit higher body temperature. The form is really near Six foot tall and weighs about Two Hundred Pounds from the weight sensors of the pallet it was on. It is still walking around, then stands and reaches an arm out. When that arm reaches out. ALL THE! arcane sensors in the room go to full, jump about like mad and end with pegging the displays many times. He asks the main frame for more info on this, what he gets from the main frame. Is a time frame of a deeper storage area that suddenly drew power like mad, At the exact same time this rooms arcane energy spiked. This is the first time it has ever! had any reading. This area, the main frame showed him. Has a item that is, listed in the same file directory as the now missing block from the pallet in question. The lead man thinks about it. 'are they connected?'

The old man, now sees that his teams are now fully set-up and ready to go. He inputs a command on this console and the hallway seals in both directions with large doors crossing the hallway. The tech staff looks at this and now they really sweat...as this is never done!

Then he opens a channel to the main security room "Mr. Twain. I am ready to go in if you approve?"

"Go ahead Gunny Johnson, just please be careful" Mr. Twain the section head tells his best man for the job. He then goes back to watching the sensors of the room like the other techs here are.

Once Gunny confirms that the "target" is far from the door "OK! open it up and go in by teams!"

The vault techs. Open the final locks on the doors, as the alert team of thirty gets all set with a medical unit of two in the rear...middle. The rest of the techs and guards from the first team wait outside as back-up.

It hisses and the motors open the door. The team moves in the open door with the most armored in front, with the rest covering from behind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, March 23 2007 9:05 am
Long term Research Storage Vault
Homestake Paranormal Activities Research Center
Within the Vault

As I am wandering around inside at that moment, I see light coming from the far edge of the room and I stare over there.

Thinking to myself 'I guess whoever was watching over me, has decided to come in and say hi! Well I am going to act as friendly as I can and hopefully they are friendly? I don't have my weapon, I have my armor' I go over my list in my head 'I have my mental facilities. I am thinking something's missing? I don't know what it is? So it will have to wait for later. No weapon, my armor, no bird? Going into combat without my friend? First time for everything!'

I start walking in that direction, toward the new light.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At that same time

The alert team is going in the room, in its prearranged pattern. Stronger assault team in front. Each one of them armed with either, a belt fed heavy machine gun using armor piercing ammo, or a brickbuster shotgun. This shotgun can fire a One inch armor piercing shell. That round can blow a hole through the side of an armored car like butter. But at this time the current load out is anti-personal in nature. But still very deadly. Then it can be switched to the armor piercing rounds as needed.

I start walking towards the light, hundreds and hundreds of feet away. I could see what looks like people walking in. Wearing armor?

'Great the guard? Well let's see, what happens?' I think.

As my eyes watch them I see that, they are waving around sticks in their arms. 'They also have lanterns? That admit a pretty nice beam of light! Pretty good! not magic thou? I can see and feel the difference? This 'gizmo?' light, is definitely something that humans would do. I catch the air from them. Definitely humans! They are not elves, not anything else. That's a good sign, humans are easy to deal with. They are a little bit jumpy sometimes, when they don't seem to understand something. Then they are usually bright little creatures, especially when you encourage them correctly.'

I keep walking towards them. As I do, I step out from behind a large wooden box. I raise up my hand and say "greeting"...hopefully they understand me and the gesture?

Immediately one, aims a light at me and thunder comes from the weapon! It hits me in the chest! I fly back many feet from the vast impact, to slide across the floor, on my bare backside with a screech.

chapter end
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my newest story in a joint venture with a group of authors, so far this group is made up of Nuuan, then Branek and finally myself. We all got together and after a jumpy start decided to make a group of stories that all take place within the Whateley fanfic universe. This one here is my second one and hopefully its a good one.

With this launch I am trying to go a different route and I will release the story in smaller chapters to make it easier on me to get more out to you all much faster. As the rather large postings of my past got a 'little' too big!

But remember all. I am not leaving Shadowsblade behind! I will start writing her soon!

To have an idea about the main protagonist this story's will develop
around here is a short introduction.

Angels Peril a Whateley Tale: Written by Branek
Tormented by the past, Angel is struggling between light and dark.

Melvin a Whateley Tale: Written by Branek
They say old soldiers never die, Melvin is about to learn that the hard
way.

The Way of the Dragon a Whateley Tale: Written by Branek
Born for eternity but vulnerable like a child, dragons shouldn't leave
their nest.

Every Rose has it Thorns a Whateley Tale: Written by Nuaan
Watch what you say around rose, could give you more trouble than you ever
asked for.

Kelly a Whateley Tale: Written by Nuaan
Struggling with fate, Kelly has to deal with love and loss.

Shadowsblade a Whateley Tale: Written by Shadowsblade
Created for war and forged in pain, dealing with deamons within and without.

Vantier a Whateley Tale :Written by Shadowsblade
Ancient and Powerful Vantier awakens in a foreign world, struggling to
find her place in it.

You might ask yourself what is the Whateley Universe? To make it short,
here is a abstract straight out off the wiki.

Whateley is a Prep School for different teens. VERY different ones. Where else could a kid go to a school that has a resident demon living in the furnace? Or meet magic users, mutants of every imaginable kind, get trained in how to handle some rather odd abilities, and worry about
flunking Freshman English? Come visit Whateley Academy, nestled in the
lovely hills of New Hampshire. Just down the road from a town named
Dunwich... (Mythos jokes purely intentional).
This is the Whateley Academy Universe, a shared universe with over a dozen authors and more than a hundred stories (and counting). The stories range in size from vignettes to novels. It's a Mutant High scenario with both a strong transgender theme and a slightly watered down Cthulhu Mythos theme.

This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares? To see the canon Whateley Stories, check out Whateley Academy at (http://whateleyacademy.net (link is external))

And a little intro of me

I am an older guy who lives in California. I am doing this project to have fun and do something creative ( AKA the muse in my head finally won the fight!)

But I have to thank, Both Branek and Nuuan for their vast input and the ability they both have to 'bounce' off ideas and improve them!

To all my readers who have e-mailed me and given support--THANKS!

Copyright © 2016 by Shadowsblade

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including
photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods,
without the prior written permission of the Author, except in the case of
brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other
noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, that is the military

Well, that is the military way when confronting a new situation and/or person. Shoot first and then ask questions later, IF the person is alive that is.
Seems to me that this type of greeting just may piss her off a little, and who knows she then may open a "can of Whoop ass" on them

Yehaa!

The last of the Heckawi arrives with his newest story!

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

love it so far

love it so far

they bit macho dumb firing

they bit macho dumb firing first with sussing out the sit rep they are in for a shock i think

Very interesting.

Why did they shoot? Next time do not, I repeat "Do Not say anything" just stand and do nothing. Please keep it going though. I want more.. ;)

little back ground in the

shadowsblade's picture

little back ground in the storage facility

they keep the most evil things here....finding the devils love child here in storage, is something that could happen

so they get a bit nervous

Proud member of the Whateley Academy Drow clan/collective